All Things 2019 QB Talk

countoff

1 hour ago, toddc said:

You being real? I did read where Cord got most of the reps at the end of the last scrimmage Sunday. There was a great article about Appleton and how he’s kept his head up the whole time as a scout team qb.

From what I’ve read Sunday’s scrimmage concentrated on the 2nd and 3rd teams which would make sense with Cord getting the majority of the reps.  I’m sure Appleton will see some time against Samford and maybe Tulane or Kent handing off to Malik and MAR.

• Replies 777
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

From what I’ve read Sunday’s scrimmage concentrated on the 2nd and 3rd teams which would make sense with Cord getting the majority of the reps.  I’m sure Appleton will see some time against Samford and maybe Tulane or Kent handing off to Malik and MAR.

It was kind of a joke playing off of @GwillMac6 ‘s post. Surly you don’t think I was serious! 😆 

2 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

It has been said walk on will Appleton has been much better than cord this spring who has been not good at all and his throwing motion is a disaster.

Hah, yeah I tried to warn everyone that was thinking Cord might end up #2 behind Stidham last fall camp that he couldn't throw. I think he understands his role and it's good he's here. 

40 minutes ago, toddc said:

It was kind of a joke playing off of @GwillMac6 ‘s post. Surly you don’t think I was serious! 😆 

Right over my head.  That being said it still wouldn’t surprise me if he got 1/3 of the reps the last scrimmage since it was primarily the 2s and 3s.

1 hour ago, BigWhiskey91 said:

Siposs made a light-hearted jab at folks calling Cord the team dad because he is older than Cord lol.

I didn't know this. War Eagle to them both- on the off chance they're seeing this. It's all in jest.

10 hours ago, gr82be said:

I hate to ask this but exactly why did we sign Cord again? 

So the throwing motion looked a little weird in his high school film. Even still, look at his recruiting profile. Dude was a big time HS QB and was tailor made for Gus's offense if the mechanics could be improved. Especially as a big, older guy coming into a situation where the only other options were 2 freshmen and a walk-on. On paper he was Dak Prescott, but in reality he's not Dak Prescott and/or we don't have Dan Mullen here to turn him into Dak Prescott. 

This guy was definitely worth taking a flyer on. Franklin, Barrett and Willis were all far inferior signings IMO.

21 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

So the throwing motion looked a little weird in his high school film. Even still, look at his recruiting profile. Dude was a big time HS QB and was tailor made for Gus's offense if the mechanics could be improved. Especially as a big, older guy coming into a situation where the only other options were 2 freshmen and a walk-on. On paper he was Dak Prescott, but in reality he's not Dak Prescott and/or we don't have Dan Mullen here to turn him into Dak Prescott. 

This guy was definitely worth taking a flyer on. Franklin, Barrett and Willis were all far inferior signings IMO.

Makes sense when you factor all of that in. His throwing motion did look odd to me but I was just thinking it was mostly the lefty thing. Thanks. I admit that I don't spend as much time as a lot do on HS footage and such. I guess over the years the can't misses who have missed mixed with a few walk-ons who have shined have made me take a wait and see approach for the most part. Thanks. 

5 minutes ago, gr82be said:

Makes sense when you factor all of that in. His throwing motion did look odd to me but I was just thinking it was mostly the lefty thing. Thanks. I admit that I don't spend as much time as a lot do on HS footage and such. I guess over the years the can't misses who have missed mixed with a few walk-ons who have shined have made me take a wait and see approach for the most part. Thanks. 

A lot of people wondered same as you, mainly because he had been out of football for so long and didn't have many scholarship offers the 2nd time around. But I think he was a good gamble for us and I think maybe he represents the coaches sharing your/our wait-and-see mentality. 

I'm more optimistic about QB (and RB) depth than I have been for a long time. 

I am ready for an announcement . It’s not like Oregon has much game film on either and both will play anyhow 

44 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

This. When he came, I had him figured as a game-changer. Funny how those things work out.

3 minutes ago, jAUSon said:

This. When he came, I had him figured as a game-changer. Funny how those things work out.

Exactly. He didn't take that step forward some of us thought he might, and the younger guys took giant steps forward that most of us didn't see coming. 

I was 0 for 3 on QB predictions this off-season and couldn't be happier about it. 

Just now, McLoofus said:

Exactly. He didn't take that step forward some of us thought he might, and the younger guys took giant steps forward that most of us didn't see coming. 

I was 0 for 3 on QB predictions this off-season and couldn't be happier about it. 

I'm in that special Auburn purgatory on preseason predictions, and QB expectaions. Even more so this year with the whole wildcard thing. I remember those years in August telling folks a QB I'd never really seen was about to win it all (I won't call roll here). It's a wait and see thing now. Lessons learned.

10 hours ago, ValleyTiger said:

I think he understands his role and it's good he's here.

#FutureGusOffensiveCoordinatorInTraining

1 hour ago, DAG said:

I am ready for an announcement . It’s not like Oregon has much game film on either and both will play anyhow 

He probably will announce it tonight but TBH there's no reason to announce anything til the ESPN pregame interview with Maria Taylor.

7 minutes ago, ellitor said:

He probably will announce it tonight but TBH there's no reason to announce anything til the ESPN pregame interview with Maria Taylor.

I honesty don’t think it Matters because both are going to play. 

10 minutes ago, ellitor said:

#FutureGusOffensiveCoordinatorInTraining

Thought crossed my mind even when he signed.  Cord is thinking about being a coach.  This is only my opinion mind you....

2 minutes ago, DAG said:

this is exactly the truth.  It really doesn't matter who takes the first snap of the first game.  Truth is both will play significant plays

1 minute ago, AUsince72 said:

Thought crossed my mind even when he signed.  Cord is thinking about being a coach.  This is only my opinion mind you....

Makes a lot of sense. Gus shows his former players a lot of love. Sometimes to his detriment but if I'm a young guy looking to break into coaching Gus does a great job giving guys opportunities.

4 minutes ago, DAG said:

No reason to let Oregon to know which one to prepare more for. He plays football information poker a lot of times where it doesn't make sense IMO. This is one time it makes sense.

3 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

Cord is thinking about being a coach.  This is only my opinion mind you...

Opinion backed up by intel.

3 minutes ago, ellitor said:

No reason to let Oregon to know which one to prepare more for. He plays football information poker a lot of times where it doesn't make sense IMO. This is one time it makes sense.

But do you think they are going to prepare for one more than the other even if they name a starter? I don’t think so. I think these millionaire coaches know they must prepare for both. 

Just being nosey on Oregon boards and they are extremely worried about facing Bo Nix just based off of his spring game and high school highlights. They also have a lot of respect for us (generally speaking). Feel we will be the best team we face all year.

so funny seeing our mindsets here and looking at how others view our squad. 

Edit: they also consider him a serious run threat. 

Archived