All Things 2019 QB Talk

countoff

Bo can be a serious run threat.  Not afraid of contact but smart enough to avoid the unnecessary.  Much faster than a lot of people realize.

• Replies 777
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If "Gamesmanship" was really all that, then there's no reason not to just bait and switch your opponent. Besides, Oregon has already been prepping for either QB to start. That's just you do it when you're facing a team with an unknown factor...

18 minutes ago, JBiGGiE said:

If "Gamesmanship" was really all that, then there's no reason not to just bait and switch your opponent. Besides, Oregon has already been prepping for either QB to start. That's just you do it when you're facing a team with an unknown factor...

Especially when the assumption is both are running threats. I don't think the game planning will be that drastically different, TBH. 

In the spring  Bo Nix was the fastest player timed in a 10 yard sprint, not just quarterbacks the whole team. He is a lot faster than what many people think.

Anthony and Worm were not there because of track but still he beat a lot of fast guys.

The kid will be named starting quarterback today, He reminds me of Baker Mayfield but with more spend.

Kid is a baller!!!!

3 minutes ago, JJB74 said:

In the spring  Bo Nix was the fastest player timed in a 10 yard sprint, not just quarterbacks the whole team

That’s because white lightning was hurt. 

Also, link?

14 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

It has been said walk on will Appleton has been much better than cord this spring who has been not good at all and his throwing motion is a disaster.

Playing five or six years of baseball and no football will do that to you.  I'm sure he can at least get back to his high school form given time and reps. Hopefully Dilly knows his stuff and can help with that.

10 minutes ago, JJB74 said:

In the spring  Bo Nix was the fastest player timed in a 10 yard sprint, not just quarterbacks the whole team. He is a lot faster than what many people think.

Anthony and Worm were not there because of track but still he beat a lot of fast guys.

The kid will be named starting quarterback today, He reminds me of Baker Mayfield but with more spend.

Kid is a baller!!!!

I Don't believe that for second, not even for 10 yards. I can see him being faster than many players but not the WHOLE team even without Worm and Schwartz. Give me a break. 

someone on here said the game plan will not be much different with either QB and I tend to agree.

But I believe that if there are any power option runs near the goal line, I do believe Gatewood will get those plays more than Nix might. I also think that if Gatewood is in there, there would be more plays called for him to run than Nix's.  

If the Oline is performing as advertised then either QB chosen will be game managers making wide open throws after play action move defensive players around.  Averaging 15 - 20 passes a game....at least early on.

45 minutes ago, WalkingCarpet said:

Gus should just say he is playing both, period.   That doesn't give Oregon any advantage and moves the beat writers along down the fenceline.   Whomever starts knows they have little margin as the backup is chomping on the bit.  

It's the easy and smartest play, if you're Gus.

Having said that, now that I think about it, Gus will do something else most likely.

I think the play calling between the two QBs will be different. As far as base offense, the difference will be minimal. I just can’t see us calling similar number of interior QB rushing plays for both QBs. Besides, that each QB is gonna have a set of plays that they prefer or are more comfortable converting. 

IMO, if Nix is starting, I don’t see Gatewood getting a ton of reps outside short yardage and goal one packaging unless Nix falls to pieces. Now for weeks 2 and 3, I could see us repping both QBs heavily! 

That being said, there is likely a reason why I’m not a coach and have a desk job instead 😂

12 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

someone on here said the game plan will not be much different with either QB and I tend to agree.

giphy.gif

2 minutes ago, BigWhiskey91 said:

I just can’t see us calling similar number of interior QB rushing plays for both QBs.

That would be the only difference, other than that I can't see how the principle or the base offense will change. This is why I can't see how it is an advantage to keep it a secret. 

I can see saying Cord is better than JF3. That doesn't take a whole lot to be better at QB than JF3. It's also not a stretch to call Cord  better than Willis. 

But it is absolutely a stretch calling Cord FAR SUPERIOR to Woody Barrett. Woody was here for 1 whole season and wasn't given much of a shot. 

Unlike Willis or JF3, Barrett went on to start for a FBS school. We will see him game 3...in Jordan-Hare... playing against us. 

Now is starting for Kent State some huge thing? No. But it's far better than someone who gives up completely at the QB position, and someone who transferred to Liberty, who may or may not ever start there. 

Barrett is a starter somewhere else. The same can't be said about JF3, Cord, or Willis (yet.) 

On topic, Bo may start, but that doesn't mean he finishes the season as QB1. Not too many years ago Blake Barnett was to be the Alabama QB. He started the season as QB1. But I think we all know how that ended up. Not saying Gatewood will take the job from Nix, but I am saying just because someone starts the season as QB1, it doesn't mean they end up as QB1. 

Not that I would pull for Nix to fail. I'll happily support whoever takes the job. But regardless of who is named the starter and takes the first snap is really meaningless when both will play at least for the first few games.

2 minutes ago, DAG said:

That would be the only difference, other than that I can't see how the principle or the base offense will change. This is why I can't see how it is an advantage to keep it a secret. 

There is likely some things that they trust one QB to do over the other but that isn’t on film other than the spring game so IDK. One thing we saw frequently from Nix during spring game was a TE check down. TE would chip the DE and then sit down in between the linebackers. Nix targeted that pass 4 or 5 times. Most were 8+ YD completions and he also threw a pick on one in the second half. 

Then you have the number of play action passes off the interior QB fakes and standard RPO looks. Personnel groupings may change as well. They would likely package more Shivers and Gatewood plays while Nix would likely draw more Whitlow/DJ as well as single back vs TE/Hback or two back setups. But as you said, not much film for that to be something Oregon can prepare for. 

1 hour ago, DAG said:
1 hour ago, JBiGGiE said:

Especially when the assumption is both are running threats. I don't think the game planning will be that drastically different, TBH. 

That's it.

Y'all have convinced me.

Wil Appleton will be named the starter.

:yes:

13 minutes ago, DAG said:

You're talking two very different offenses here depending on the QB.  JG in means we're running the inverted veer Cam Newton offense.

BN playing means we should probably expect more of a 2017 style offense.  Both can be deadly, the blocking schemes and the way players are used do change pretty significantly between the two.

Just now, Brad_ATX said:

You're talking two very different offenses here depending on the QB.  JG in means we're running the inverted veer Cam Newton offense.

BN playing means we should probably expect more of a 2017 style offense.  Both can be deadly, the blocking schemes and the way players are used do change pretty significantly between the two.

I don't necessarily agree. I think Gus will absolutely let BN run more options comparable to JS. 

16 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

I can see saying Cord is better than JF3. That doesn't take a whole lot to be better at QB than JF3. It's also not a stretch to call Cord  better than Willis. 

But it is absolutely a stretch calling Cord FAR SUPERIOR to Woody Barrett. Woody was here for 1 whole season and wasn't given much of a shot. 

Cord has a noodle arm. He did in HS. And despite what people believed, throwing a baseball isn’t going to increase the velocity of throwing a football. I could launch a football farther than my brother, and he was a juco pitcher. Cord is just like Stovall. There for team maturity reasons. 

3 minutes ago, DAG said:

I don't necessarily agree. I think Gus will absolutely let BN run more options comparable to JS. 

Running more is likely, but how they run is different.  The inverted veer offense is predicated on the QB being the inside run threat off the option.  The option offense that BN would run is more likely to be traditional, QB running outside.

The blocking schemes and tactics are vastly different to execute those.

5 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Running more is likely, but how they run is different.  The inverted veer offense is predicated on the QB being the inside run threat off the option.  The option offense that BN would run is more likely to be traditional, QB running outside.

The blocking schemes and tactics are vastly different to execute those.

True, but with that being said, I still don't think this will affect Oregon's game play defensively as much. If anything, it will affect the way we call our plays. Just like in 2016, we had three very different QBs and Clemson was ready for all of them. I don't think it is as dramatic as people are making it out to be.

10 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Seems to me the biggest difference would be in short yardage situations. And I won't be surprised if Joey does come in a lot on those.  

20 minutes ago, BigWhiskey91 said:

One thing we saw frequently from Nix during spring game was a TE check down. TE would chip the DE and then sit down in between the linebackers. Nix targeted that pass 4 or 5 times. Most were 8+ YD completions and he also threw a pick on one in the second half. 

BTW, I really like this possibility.

Archived