All Things 2019 QB Talk

countoff

1 minute ago, AUGunsmith said:

Do people here truly believe that not naming QB gives as advantage? 

Yes

• Replies 777
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, DAG said:

BTW, I really like this possibility.

I want to say his Dad killed UF in 93 or 94 using a middle TE screen. It was like 100yds just to the TE.

Just now, BigWhiskey91 said:

I want to say his Dad killed UF in 93 or 94 using a middle TE screen. It was like 100yds just to the TE.

Andy Fuller

48 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

I Don't believe that for second, not even for 10 yards. I can see him being faster than many players but not the WHOLE team even without Worm and Schwartz. Give me a break. 

someone on here said the game plan will not be much different with either QB and I tend to agree.

But I believe that if there are any power option runs near the goal line, I do believe Gatewood will get those plays more than Nix might. I also think that if Gatewood is in there, there would be more plays called for him to run than Nix's.  

You don't have to believe me, it came from a former player that was there when they timed it. 

1 hour ago, aujeff11 said:

That’s because white lightning was hurt. 

Also, link?

there is no link......this came from a former player that was there when they timed it.

To me, the biggest difference is going to be how innovative has Gus and Dilly become and guys being able to make the necessary plays. There is truly no true film to gameplan these guys so I have to imagine Oregon's defense is looking at sets which limited Gus offense based on his QB skillset from the past several seasons. The problem is DCs have caught up quickly to what Gus has been doing. I am hoping to see progress in this instance.

2 minutes ago, JJB74 said:

You don't have to believe me, it came from a former player that was there when they timed it. 

giphy.gif

J/K. I think Bo Nix will be sneakily deceptive with his acceleration.

2 hours ago, DAG said:

But do you think they are going to prepare for one more than the other even if they name a starter? I don’t think so. I think these millionaire coaches know they must prepare for both. 

@DAG yes I do. Especially if it's Bo that is announced. I think they will spend most of the time preparing for him & some time prepping for Joey in short yardage situations.

If Gatewood starts, they key on the run.  If Bo starts, they play balanced.

It's not like depending on the QB, the game plan is going to be massively different.  It's not like they're prepping for a Peyton Manning I formation vs a Michael Vick Read Option.

Both QBs are nearly even in the run game.  I just feel the coaches would throw less w/ Joey in the game.  Oregon doesn't care who we claim the QB to be, their prep. doesn't change...just a few in-game defensive play calls.

1 minute ago, DAG said:

giphy.gif

J/K. I think Bo Nix will be sneakily deceptive with his acceleration.

so this is what I was told.......

Bo will not out run our fastest guys on the team in the 40......BUT he is one of the fastest guys in the first 10 yards..... and that is what they were timing that day

2 hours ago, DAG said:

Feel we will be the best team we face all year.

Obviously. They are in the Pretty Average Conference 12

1 minute ago, JJB74 said:

so this is what I was told.......

Bo will not out run our fastest guys on the team in the 40......BUT he is one of the fastest guys in the first 10 yards..... and that is what they were timing that day

White lightning excels in that kind of drill as well. 

Its a different kind of speed really.

Just now, ellitor said:

Obviously. They are in the Pretty Average Conference 12

Well it isn't very obvious especially since we went 8-5 last year and have a lot of young faces. So, I consider that a very good compliment. Talent wise is a different story.

1 hour ago, DAG said:

I don't think the game planning will be that drastically different, TBH.

I'm not sure Gus would use Bo on option plays much even though the kid has speed. And even if he does the options used for him would be different than the power O options likely used for Joey.

Just now, ellitor said:

I'm not sure Gus would use Bo on option plays much even though the kid has speed. And even if he does the options used for him would be different than the power O options likely used for Joey.

Well I am sure he isn't plan on using him like Cam Newton, but I can almost put my money on it that he will use him much more than JS.

15 minutes ago, BigWhiskey91 said:

Quote from that TE's (Andy Fuller) Wikipedia:

"Fuller attended J.O. Johnson High School in Huntsville before signing to play at Auburn University. Fuller enjoyed success at Auburn, including being a member of the undefeated 1993 team and receiving first team All-SEC honors in 1994 and 1995. He is perhaps best known for his part in Auburn's upset versus No. 1 ranked Florida on October 15, 1994, where Andy had 7 receptions for 115 yards and a touchdown. During his career at Auburn (1992–1995), he caught 33 passes for 513 yards and five touchdowns."

2 hours ago, DAG said:

Just being nosey on Oregon boards and they are extremely worried about facing Bo Nix just based off of his spring game and high school highlights. They also have a lot of respect for us (generally speaking). Feel we will be the best team we face all year.

so funny seeing our mindsets here and looking at how others view our squad. 

Edit: they also consider him a serious run threat. 

I feel like Utah is winning that conference this year 

Just now, AuburnTiger4Life said:

Facts...they may actually make the Final 4.  Sneakily under the radar.

57 minutes ago, HarrisBoy334 said:

either QB chosen will be game managers making wide open throws

That hasn't been Bo so far this Fall. The one reoccuring drawback I've seen reported on him is at times he tries to fit passes in tight windows when there is another guy open. Kid has gunslinger in him.

Just now, ellitor said:

They are two totally different and young QBs and one cookie cutter game plan won’t work for both. The game plan may start off relatively neutral, but the QB that wins the job should have wrinkles implemented into the offense that can help his unique strengths.

Otherwise we are just wasting talent.

Just now, AuburnTiger4Life said:

Utah needs to get over the hump. It seems like they can't get out of their own way. I would like to see Leach take the crown though. 

4 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Probably a lot more draws for Bo? Ooh, maybe even a naked bootleg. 

1 minute ago, aujeff11 said:

The game plan may start off relatively neutral, but the QB that wins the job should have wrinkles implemented into the offense that can help his unique strengths.

To me this is the crutch. To be honest, we should be passed this conversation and worry. Gus should be at a point where his offense is so adaptable to the QBs strengths without missing a beat. 

52 minutes ago, BigWhiskey91 said:

I think the play calling between the two QBs will be different. As far as base offense, the difference will be minimal. I just can’t see us calling similar number of interior QB rushing plays for both QBs. Besides, that each QB is gonna have a set of plays that they prefer or are more comfortable converting. 

IMO, if Nix is starting, I don’t see Gatewood getting a ton of reps outside short yardage and goal one packaging unless Nix falls to pieces. Now for weeks 2 and 3, I could see us repping both QBs heavily! 

That being said, there is likely a reason why I’m not a coach and have a desk job instead 😂

tenor.gif?itemid=6077388

Archived