All Things 2019 QB Talk

countoff

10 minutes ago, kennypowers said:

If Gatewood starts, they key on the run.  If Bo starts, they play balanced.

It's not like depending on the QB, the game plan is going to be massively different.  It's not like they're prepping for a Peyton Manning I formation vs a Michael Vick Read Option.

Both QBs are nearly even in the run game.  I just feel the coaches would throw less w/ Joey in the game.  Oregon doesn't care who we claim the QB to be, their prep. doesn't change...just a few in-game defensive play calls.

You articulated this much better than me.

• Replies 777
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1 minute ago, DAG said:

To me this is the crutch. To be honest, we should be passed this conversation and worry. Gus should be at a point where his offense is so adaptable to the QBs strengths without missing a beat. 

I remember reading from Bleacher Report how great Gus was at adapting to the QBs, and how Lowell Narcissee would really benefit from it. I wasn’t even high. 

3 minutes ago, DAG said:

You articulated this much better than me.

Thanks, I felt like it made sense...but wasn't 100%  

1 minute ago, aujeff11 said:

I remember reading from Bleacher Report how great Gus was at adapting to the QBs, and how Lowell Narcissee would really benefit from it. I wasn’t even high. 

Right? Like I am totally rooting for Gus, but even in the back of my mind I often wonder how would someone like Trevor Lawrence look in a Gus Malzahn offense? That shouldn't be the case when this is his niche. 

6 minutes ago, DAG said:

Utah needs to get over the hump. It seems like they can't get out of their own way. I would like to see Leach take the crown though. 

Sounds familiar🤔

Regardless if a starter is named, most of the local media is saying Nix. I just think even if Gus doesn't announce, Oregon will have a good idea it is Nix. It would be so Gus to start JG for an inside read play on the first snap only to let Bo come in after. 

24 minutes ago, AUGunsmith said:

Do people here truly believe that not naming QB gives as advantage? 

Yes. And there is a respected high school coach who writes the Know The Enemy articles each week for AU rivals who believes it & feels "you take any advantage you can get no matter how small it may be".

Just now, kennypowers said:

Thanks, I felt like it made sense...but wasn't 100%  

Bo nix’s Running game isn’t close to even with Gatewood’s btw. If Nix gets 200 rushing yards this year, that will be great.

4 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Bo nix’s Running game isn’t close to even with Gatewood’s btw. If Nix gets 200 rushing yards this year, that will be great.

I'll be surprised if he runs for less than 400 IF he is gets 80-90% of snaps per game.

19 minutes ago, JJB74 said:

so this is what I was told.......

Bo will not out run our fastest guys on the team in the 40......BUT he is one of the fastest guys in the first 10 yards..... and that is what they were timing that day

A category that has become big in the NFL. It's what that call explosive speed.

2 minutes ago, kennypowers said:

I'll be surprised if he runs for less than 400

Prepare to be surprised

It would be hilarious if Bo Nix became our own Johnny football (Without all of the cocaine, booze and strippers of course). One can dream.

17 minutes ago, DAG said:

Well it isn't very obvious especially since we went 8-5 last year and have a lot of young faces. So, I consider that a very good compliment. Talent wise is a different story.

It's a compliment no doubt but how many PAC 12 teams would have bested 8-5 with our schedule last year. My guess is 0.

18 minutes ago, DAG said:

Well I am sure he isn't plan on using him like Cam Newton, but I can almost put my money on it that he will use him much more than JS.

& JS wasn't used much for true option plays.

1 hour ago, steeleagle said:

Don't believe that for second, not even for 10 yards. I can see him being faster than many players but not the WHOLE team even without Worm and Schwartz. Give me a break. 

I’m with you, but if he did I’m eager to see him bring that to the field of play. 

1 minute ago, DAG said:

It would be hilarious if Bo Nix became our own Johnny football (Without all of the cocaine, booze and strippers of course). One can dream.

Why would Bo be affected by what @GwillMac6 does in his spare time?

I kid gwillmac, you're one of my faves. 😁

3 minutes ago, ellitor said:

A category that has become big in the NFL. It's what that call explosive speed.

It would make sense for him to be explosive. That’s all a good QB needs, so it’s probably all he’s ever worked on heavily.

16 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

They are two totally different and young QBs and one cookie cutter game plan won’t work for both. The game plan may start off relatively neutral, but the QB that wins the job should have wrinkles implemented into the offense that can help his unique strengths.

Otherwise we are just wasting talent.

Exactly!

Just now, ellitor said:

It's a compliment no doubt but how many PAC 12 teams would have bested 8-5 with our schedule last year. My guess is 0.

I don't know but I definitely can think of a couple who could at least beat Mississippi State and Tennessee. I think Washington and Washington State could've won 8 games last year with our schedule.

7 minutes ago, DAG said:

I'd settle for Baker without being a jackwad.

No D1 DC is going to be caught flat footed or lose/gain an edge by knowing who the freshman never played meaningful snaps/never played any snaps QB is going to be. 

This idea of keeping it secret for gamesmanship reasons is retarded. It will not in any way affect the outcome of this game 

22 minutes ago, DAG said:

To me this is the crutch. To be honest, we should be passed this conversation and worry. Gus should be at a point where his offense is so adaptable to the QBs strengths without missing a beat. 

tenor.gif

4 minutes ago, WFE12 said:

I'd settle for Baker without being a jackwad.

Trust me bro, I have always said a Baker Mayfield type would do wonders with Gus.

Archived