All Things 2019 QB Talk

countoff

1 minute ago, BigWhiskey91 said:

When Muschamp made the comment that JJ could throw the ball through a car wash without it getting wet, I fully bought in. Everyone was deceived there. What made it worse was he had two or three starts prior to 2015 and we didn’t see many signs or red flags for what we got in 2015. RIP

That Arkansas game the year before the offense started to stall out towards the middle of the 2nd qtr.  there were two 3rd and 1s that we didn’t convert.  I didn’t know if it was the Oline or CAP.  In hindsight I wonder if Arkansas figures out what the rest of the country figured out in 2015.

• Replies 777
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

I also don’t want Joey to come in and defenses immediately know that it’s going to be a Qb run.  I’d like the defense to have to guess some.

100%   We can't duplicate what Malik W did.  That was putrid.

and from what we have read, Joey throws the intermediate throws pretty well.    He MUST throw some when he comes in.  

1 minute ago, Win4AU said:

That Arkansas game the year before the offense started to stall out towards the middle of the 2nd qtr.  there were two 3rd and 1s that we didn’t convert.  I didn’t know if it was the Oline or CAP.  In hindsight I wonder if Arkansas figures out what the rest of the country figured out in 2015.

So, Arkansas is my second home and I built a lot of key relationships down there, being a speed coach. What I gathered was Arkansas had very little clue about JJ. They played him like a Cam Clone, leaving a lot of one on one match ups. Once, they realized he was entirely different they simply adapted, which is why momentum started to dwindle down and the game was tied at half.

3 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

That’s probably the worst I’ve felt after a win.  The game started good enough but after that second pick I started feeling nervous.

3-2 in 2008

14-12 in 2008

Vandy on the road was next and I feared that game. 

2 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

I also don’t want Joey to come in and defenses immediately know that it’s going to be a Qb run.  I’d like the defense to have to guess some.

I don't think it would be like that. As @Brad_ATX mentioned, he could probably run the full inverted veer that Cam ran. It would be run heavy, no doubt, but we're talking about a guy who had a 5* QB's job all sewn up until recently. Joey can sling it.

On 7/23/2019 at 10:50 AM, aucanucktiger said:

On the bright side (and not reaching conclusions😉), but it's really good to have a promising, competent "backup" in the SEC if your 6'5" 240 lb starting QB runs a lot against 6'3"-5" 250-300lb SEC defenders that live to hurt QBs. I think it's called involuntary QB rotation.🤪

But think of UGA...Eason goes down early in season 2 years ago, Fromm takes over as a Freshman and Eason never gets the Starter role again. Eason transfers back home out West and after the past year of not starting, Justin Fields transfers to Ohio State. Now it seems both Eason and Fields will start for their new teams in 2019. However, UGA now has no one with significant experience to step in if Fromm goes down.

30 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

Nah because JJ was dicing them through the air. Then when Marshall came in, the run game instantly amplified. I think Cap averaged like 2.5-3ypc in the first half and it jumped to 6-7ypc in the second half. I need to go back and get the exact numbers though.

So here's my thoughts on the name/not name a starting QB for a competitive advantage deal....

Does anyone not remember Brent Venables basically telling everyone that he caught wind about the CoxCat whirly bird?? It was literally installed game week and unveiled in that week 1 matchup, but the enemy knew. Do you really think Oregon won't have a clue which guy it'll be OR that they wouldn't prepare for both QBs given Gus's history (again Clemson game, ugh) and the increased potential that one guy might fold under the spotlights??

1 hour ago, BigWhiskey91 said:

When Muschamp made the comment that JJ could throw the ball through a car wash without it getting wet, I fully bought in. Everyone was deceived there. What made it worse was he had two or three starts prior to 2015 and we didn’t see many signs or red flags for what we got in 2015. RIP

Man, I do believe you have misattributed the quote and the player to whom it referred. That was said by Tony Franklin of Chris Todd (pre-injury before transferring to AU.)  Not a betting man but on this I will put money.

1 minute ago, CleCoTiger said:

Man, I do believe you have misattributed the quote and the player to whom it referred. That was said by Tony Franklin of Chris Todd (pre-injury before transferring to AU.)  Not a betting man but on this I will put money.

You would be correct.

1 hour ago, DAG said:

Baker Mayfield is one of my favorite players so I have no issue with his antics but I do see how it rubs people wrong. Remember, CN personality rubs a lot of people wrong too.

Yeah but Cam does Cam with a big smile 😁😁😁😁

On 8/11/2019 at 9:41 PM, doc4aday said:

I really love both QBs, but have to come down on the side of Gatewood if not for the first few games. I think both QBs will play and will play a lot. I love the fact that Joey can run over folks at will. This is going to be a very interesting QB battle no doubt. We could be a 2 QB system for a while and if this works then maybe for  the long term. It would be fun to see us win 10 plus games with each QB getting a lot of reps each week. Time will tell though and we all wait with baited breath!

doc.. I would love for this type of season to develop. It has winning, both QB's playing and having fun.

1 hour ago, DAG said:

It would be a great Oh crap opening for the rest of the teams, if we come out guns-a-blazing

I know I would say "Oh Crap!" ....but in a good way.

2 hours ago, gr82be said:

Why would Bo be affected by what @GwillMac6 does in his spare time?

I kid gwillmac, you're one of my faves. 😁

erer.gif

1 hour ago, Viper said:

3-2 in 2008

14-12 in 2008

Vandy on the road was next and I feared that game. 

I was at that Vandy game.  The offense didn’t know what it was doing.

2 hours ago, ellitor said:

If Gus does name a starter then it will be clear he agrees with you & the case will be closed. Also try not to use the R word in the future. Thanks!

Oh look, old gus agrees. Were sure to lose without this huge advantage. 

48 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

erer.gif

I literally just spit on my windshield!

😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣

4 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

I literally just spit on my windshield!

😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣

eewr.gif

1 hour ago, CleCoTiger said:

I’ll have to go find it, but I remember this leading up to the Louisville game. 

I don’t remember that quote from tony Franklin but either I’m misquoting or they both said it. Muschamp did make a comment on JJ with high praise. Thanks for the link though! 

46 minutes ago, AUGunsmith said:

Oh look, old gus agrees. Were sure to lose without this huge advantage. 

Never said nor implied that. The attitude is unnecessary @AUGunsmith. I didn't give you any attitude in my post. Just politely asked you not to use the word retarded. That is a very offensive word, especially to someone with a disability.

1 hour ago, CleCoTiger said:

This link recalls the same quote... I want to say this was either in the pregame interview with Muschamp or something similar but here is a link that lists the same quote.

http://rolltidewareagle.com/2015/09/14/auburn-coaching-problems/

13 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Never said nor implied that. The attitude is unnecessary @AUGunsmith. I didn't give you any attitude in my post. Just politely asked you not to use the word retarded. That is a very offensive word, especially to someone with a disability.

Attitude? It was sarcasm, dude. 

Also, nothing in my response even ties back into the scary R word. You said nix it, understood. There was no point rehashing that. 

1 minute ago, AUGunsmith said:

Attitude? It was sarcasm, dude. 

Also, nothing in my response even ties back into the scary R word. You said nix it, understood. There was no point rehashing that. 

Yet you choose to qualify your response this way. Give it a rest man. E's not trying to bust your balls. 

Archived