All Things 2019 QB Talk

countoff

18 hours ago, aujeff11 said:

Oregon coaches visited Athens and Bama this offseason for our 411. I’m still saying don’t leak anything. 

Should have gone to Knoxville since Pruitt was calling the offensive plays from the sideline last year.  By early do they mean pre kickoff or pre 1st snap?

• Replies 777
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm just a fan, with no qualifications to be an analyst.  But would it be a huge surprise if Bo Nix turns out to be another Trevor Lawrence in the making?

Just stewing and speculating, waiting for fall camp to open...it can't get here soon enough.

I don't think people really understood how good Lawrence was coming out of high school. I literally hadn't ever seen anything like it so I doubt if I'll see it again anytime soon

2 hours ago, KolchakAU85 said:

I'm just a fan, with no qualifications to be an analyst.  But would it be a huge surprise if Bo Nix turns out to be another Trevor Lawrence in the making?

Just stewing and speculating, waiting for fall camp to open...it can't get here soon enough.

Would be really nice if we had a Clemson effect this season (stacked d-line returns and freshman qb leads team to the championship) but you know...

On 7/18/2019 at 11:32 AM, 3rdgeneration said:

Just thinking the same as you. You said it better.

You're too kind......Great minds think alike😁

On 7/18/2019 at 10:46 AM, WalkingCarpet said:

Excuse me, it's called the "whirly bird." Get it right. 

Was that the same thing as the "CoxCat"?  #cringe

On ‎7‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 5:13 PM, AuburnNTexas said:

I want one to win and be great and other almost his equal. Then we need a team that wipes the floor early with a weak team so backup gets a lot of snaps in those games. One of our problems in recent years is how poorly we played against bad teams so we didn't get to play backup QB's and other positions.

A good theory but with two freshmen, seems like it would be best to give the "starter" as much playing time as possible early in the season to develop the offense. Swapping them around when both are green just seems like a system to take "experience" from the starter at the expense of the back-up......unless there is not much difference in them.      IMO, whoever is the starter should get 90% of the plays, no matter what the scores are. 

19 minutes ago, AU64 said:

A good theory but with two freshmen, seems like it would be best to give the "starter" as much playing time as possible early in the season to develop the offense.

Especially since the guy leading the race right now was never QB1 in high school.

Like most people, I give the nod to Gatewood.  He's been there for a year, and is a bruising runner.  I'm just afraid we'll lose Nix somewhere along the way.

52 minutes ago, KolchakAU85 said:

Like most people, I give the nod to Gatewood.  He's been there for a year, and is a bruising runner.  I'm just afraid we'll lose Nix somewhere along the way.

Since he is a true Freshman I personally don't think Nix would go anywhere. 

1 minute ago, IronMan70 said:

Since he is a true Freshman I personally don't think Nix would go anywhere. 

I sure hope not.

On 7/18/2019 at 11:36 AM, aujeff11 said:

No kidding. Yet we trotted SW, JJ, and Stidham out there. 

JJ could run. JJ could RUN run. It is one of life's greatest mysteries why Gus didn't use him for the zone read, especially when it became clear he wasn't a precision passer.

Jeremy looked like he didn't love contact, but surely they could have gotten him out of that habit. 

• ellitor changed the title to Al Things 2019 QB Talk
On 7/19/2019 at 7:31 PM, KolchakAU85 said:

would it be a huge surprise if Bo Nix turns out to be another Trevor Lawrence in the making?

Yes.

On 7/19/2019 at 8:31 PM, KolchakAU85 said:

Yes, it would be a huge surprise. Put it this way. Shaun Shivers being another Barry Sanders is significantly more likely. 

On 7/21/2019 at 4:04 AM, AUght2win said:

JJ could run. JJ could RUN run. It is one of life's greatest mysteries why Gus didn't use him for the zone read, especially when it became clear he wasn't a precision passer.

Jeremy looked like he didn't love contact, but surely they could have gotten him out of that habit. 

Jeremy did not like to be hit at all. Hard to run the zone read with a QB like that.

7 hours ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

Yes.

Agree. What a unfair expectation to put on Bo. Lawrence is a unicorn when it comes to QB's, especially true freshman QBs.. Like saying "put name here" is the next Cam Newton.

3 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Agree. What a unfair expectation to put on Bo. Lawrence is a unicorn when it comes to QB's, especially true freshman QBs.. Like saying "put name here" is the next Cam Newton.

Yeah. Folks will balk at the Cam mention, but it's also worth pointing out that Lawrence is 6'6. 

But we should still be really damned excited. Chad Kelly? Maybe even a little Baker Mayfield? 

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

Yeah. Folks will balk at the Cam mention, but it's also worth pointing out that Lawrence is 6'6. 

But we should still be really damned excited. Chad Kelly? Maybe even a little Baker Mayfield? 

I hope for a better version of Baker Mayfield. That is not unreasonable at all. Bo is great. But Lawrence is a damn unicorn.

2 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

I hope for a better version of Baker Mayfield. That is not unreasonable at all. Bo is great. But Lawrence is a damn unicorn.

Whoa. Nice. 

Archived