All Things 2019 QB Talk

countoff

3 minutes ago, alexava said:

I’m predicting the latter. 

We know. You posted it a couple times on the previous page.

• Replies 777
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, ellitor said:

We know. You posted it a couple times on the previous page.

Just make sure you remember this thread in about 4-5 weeks from now. 

3 minutes ago, alexava said:

As long as you do 🙂

13 minutes ago, alexava said:

I'm not worried or care about right or wrong. I'm just passing on info from people connected to the program. They could be wrong too.

2 minutes ago, ellitor said:

I'm not worried or care about right or wrong. I'm just passing on info from people connected to the program. They could be wrong too.

You know I am a Joey Gatewood fan no doubt about it and I hope he is picked. But in what way during the break has he taken control? Operative word: break. I’m sure both are working on their craft with receivers and stuff. 

8 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

You know I am a Joey Gatewood fan no doubt about it and I hope he is picked. But in what way during the break has he taken control? Operative word: break. I’m sure both are working on their craft with receivers and stuff. 

Apparently it started before Spring camp ended. I know you won't believe a word he said but maybe @WarDamnEagleWDE can shed more light on it.

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

I said A Rod light if he pans out, meaning he has to progress to get there. I don't like one more than the other. That's just the potential I see in him.

And nobody's making it hard for Bo. If he has a good or bad career it won't have any effect coming from anyone's opinions posted on an AU message board.

The fan base absolutely will have something to do with it. Not necessarily saying you but I find that many look at the size of a guy and then find somebody comparable and that's it, come to a conclusion to say they remind them of so and so when it's much more than that.

20 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Apparently it started before Spring camp ended. I know you won't believe a word he said but maybe @WarDamnEagleWDE can shed more light on it.

I have the opinion that Gus knew that JG’s talents as a run threat would not be on display at A day, so he wanted to see if JG could throw and do his part there. If so, I believe he thinks Joey did enough. However, without all my suspicions, Nix also showed that day that there is a worthy battle to be had. So just curious. 

2 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

I have the opinion that Gus knew that JG’s talents as a run threat would not be on display at A day, so he wanted to see if JG could throw and do his part there. If so, I believe he thinks Joey did enough. However, without all my suspicions, Nix also showed that day that there is a worthy battle to be had. So just curious. 

A -day was what it was. I just don’t put a ton of stock in it. Willis did very well too. 

4 minutes ago, alexava said:

A -day was what it was.

And what it was was an intentionally incomplete picture given out just because Gus knew he had to give the fans something.

1 hour ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

As long as you do 🙂

No problem here.  I seem to be a loner. The difference is I am not a Bo fan the way y’all damn Joey fans are. I don’t care who wins. I just use what information we have to predict it this way. 

Just now, aujeff11 said:

And what it was was an intentionally incomplete picture given out just because Gus knew he had to give the fans something.

That’s every year. 

10 minutes ago, alexava said:

The difference is I am not a Bo fan the way y’all damn Joey fans are

Hey. I just want the drives at the end of the games to be like against Kentucky in 2010 where we sealed the game with a 19 play drive playing big boy v. big boy football. 

30 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Hey. I just want the drives at the end of the games to be like against Kentucky in 2010 where we sealed the game with a 19 play drive playing big boy v. big boy football. 

I just want to win. However it happens. I think we have to be balanced.  But the run game must get better , a lot better from last year. 

1 hour ago, cole256 said:

The fan base absolutely will have something to do with it. Not necessarily saying you but I find that many look at the size of a guy and then find somebody comparable and that's it, come to a conclusion to say they remind them of so and so when it's much more than that.

That does not address my point which is Bo, like every other player, is responsible for his own actions. He will do well or poorly on his own regardless of who any fan compares him to. If he is effected by comparisons fans make of him then he is not going to be a big time player anyway. Same for Joey being compared to Cam. QBs, & RBs for that matter, get compared to greats all the time. Many do well & many don't but it's not because of fan comparisons.

44 minutes ago, alexava said:

No problem here.  I seem to be a loner. The difference is I am not a Bo fan the way y’all damn Joey fans are. I don’t care who wins. I just use what information we have to predict it this way. 

Not a Joey fan over Bo & neither is Bird. We are just passing on the info we here or see from connecteds. It may or may not pan out.

1 minute ago, ellitor said:

Not a Joey fan over Bo & neither is Bird. We are just passing on the info we here or see from connecteds. It may or may not pan out.

Yes. I believe you are not in either one’s corner. Not sure about Bird 

8 minutes ago, alexava said:

Yes. I believe you are not in either one’s corner. Not sure about Bird 

I know he's not. Not that he likes Bo more, but I remember him having more confidence in Bo than Joey when they were recruits.

5 hours ago, ellitor said:

That does not address my point which is Bo, like every other player, is responsible for his own actions. He will do well or poorly on his own regardless of who any fan compares him to. If he is effected by comparisons fans make of him then he is not going to be a big time player anyway. Same for Joey being compared to Cam. QBs, & RBs for that matter, get compared to greats all the time. Many do well & many don't but it's not because of fan comparisons.

What I said does address your point, you just don't want to accept it. Living up to hype is absolutely one of the biggest obstacles a big time athlete has on his psyche. It remains to be seen how these qbs we have do, it's no different than the expectations of 5 stars compared to 3

13 minutes ago, cole256 said:

you just don't want to accept it

It's not that I don't accept it. It's just that I disagree with it given most QBs & RBs get compared by fans all the time. IMO it's only an issue if they let outside noise get in their heads & effect them. Anyone that would apply to wasn't going to do well anyway. It's ok though. We are allowed to have different opinions.

13 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Living up to hype is absolutely one of the biggest obstacles a big time athlete has on his psyche.

This is actually the 1st time that stance was stated & thank you for doing so.

59 minutes ago, ellitor said:

It's not that I don't accept it. It's just that I disagree with it given most QBs & RBs get compared by fans all the time. IMO it's only an issue if they let outside noise get in their heads & effect them. Anyone that would apply to wasn't going to do well anyway. It's ok though. We are allowed to have different opinions.

This is actually the 1st time that stance was stated & thank you for doing so.

Ok cool we can just not agree and that's fine the conundrum is yeah a couple of people saying something don't bother but a big group do, you can't have a big group without starting with a few, so with that being said an argument can easily be made that a small group can matter.

Also saying if they let the outside effect them is usually right but there a few exceptions. I would say Baker Mayfield and Kevin Durant are outliers

31 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Ok cool we can just not agree and that's fine the conundrum is yeah a couple of people saying something don't bother but a big group do, you can't have a big group without starting with a few, so with that being said an argument can easily be made that a small group can matter.

Also saying if they let the outside effect them is usually right but there a few exceptions. I would say Baker Mayfield and Kevin Durant are outliers

Megan Rapinoe is another. Some folks are just wired differently.

I don't think the fan base has a responsibility to refrain from saying anything, though, other than just talking trash about the players. Just my personal feeling, it's not right or wrong. Every fan base says a lot of dumb stuff and a lot of coaches are able to tune it out of their locker rooms. 

I do think that Gus has made mistakes in the past publicly pumping up kids who never show it on the field. I think that matters. I think he invites noise in instead of tuning it out sometimes. 

8 hours ago, alexava said:

Not sure about Bird 

I just want to win. I don't care who leads us there. I haven't seen enough from either to really determine who that might be.

I love Bo's accuracy, pocket awareness, calmness, and the way he keeps his eyes down field to make a play. I also love Joey's size, running potential, and clamness. Joey's running potential can be a game changer.

No matter who the QB is, they need to consistently make the throw when it's 3rd and 7+ and the D drops 8. Dual threat QBs are great and make offenses much more dynamic if they are truly Dual. I think both of the QBs we have are.  Competition strengthens everyone. No matter who wins, they will be stronger because of the other.

I've been told it's Joey.

Another thing to consider is that Joey was a key figure in his recruiting class- the same class that included Shivers, Schwartz and Williams, among others. Pretty sure Joey was one of the first in that class to commit and was a huge recruiter for us throughout the process. He was one of those charismatic guys that all the other guys gravitated towards in camps and such. He's been a leader for Auburn- and the aforementioned nucleus of our offense have been together- for almost 2 years now. Furthermore, he got himself in the doghouse early on last year and eventually worked himself out of it by season's end. That probably earned him even more respect in the locker room.

Bo is also that kind of guy. He has that swag and natural leadership and will run that locker room one day. But Joey might be a big hill for Bo to climb before Labor Day. 

9 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

he got himself in the doghouse

Do we know this for sure, or was that just the rumor?

Archived