Newkirk and Peters Injury Updates & Roster Notes

aubiefifty

Auburn taking ‘wait-and-see’ approach with Daquan Newkirk, Jordyn Peters

Today 11:12 AM

5-6 minutes

Auburn Football

Auburn defensive back Jordyn Peters is still working his way back from an offseason Achilles injury.

By Tom Green | tgreen@al.com

Auburn is being cautious with its approach when it comes to two defenders coming off offseason injuries as fall camp approached.

Defensive back Jordyn Peters and defensive lineman Daquan Newkirk are both recovering from previously undisclosed foot injuries that sidelined them throughout the spring. Gus Malzahn announced Thursday at SEC Media Days that the injuries to the two defenders were to their Achilles tendons, adding that they will be reevaluated prior to the start of fall practices.

“There’s a couple guys that we’re kind of waiting to see,” Malzahn said. "You know, the two guys that had the Achillies, we’re gonna wait and see, the two guys that had the Achillies, we’re gonna wait and see what that looks like at the very start of fall camp."

For Newkirk, it is the second straight offseason that he has dealt with an Achilles injury. He missed last spring after rupturing the tendon on the eve of spring practices before making a return during the season. It is unclear if the latest injury is to the same leg or the exact extent of the injury.

Final 2 members of Auburn’s 2019 signing class arrive on campus

Kamaar Bell and Zach Farrar have both arrived on campus for Auburn ahead of fall camp.

Newkirk, once fully cleared, will compete for reps at the defensive tackle spot vacated by the departure of four-year starter Dontavius Russell. He will rotate with junior Tyrone Truesdell and sophomore Coynis Miller, who is also recovering from an undisclosed offseason injury.

“Tyone Truesdell, he’s improving -- I think -- each day,” Malzahn said. "Those two guys you just talked about (Miller and Newkirk) -- you know, we’ll see where we’re at as far as health in fall camp. One of the questions, too, is we’re waiting to see where (Miller and Newkirk) are at in fall camp, how quick they can get back. That’s one of our questions right now.”

Earlier this summer, Malzahn said Newkirk and Peters were “ahead of schedule” in their rehab processes and was hopeful that the two defenders would be available for the season opener against Oregon on Aug. 31 in Arlington, Texas. Last season, Peters appeared in all 13 games, totaling 24 tackles, with 3.5 for a loss and one sack. He was also a major factor on special teams, blocking three punts. Newkirk appeared in eight games and tallied seven tackles while rotating at defensive tackle last season.

Malzahn said the team is also waiting on injuries to “a couple shoulders” to fully recover ahead of fall camp but did not clarify which players. Sophomore safety Smoke Monday was limited in the spring due to a shoulder injury.

“We’ve got a couple shoulders that we’re waiting on, but for the most part it’s looking good right now," Malzahn said. “But as fall camp starts, I’ll be able to give a better update.”

Tom Green is an Auburn beat reporter for Alabama Media Group. Follow him on Twitter @Tomas_Verde.

• ellitor changed the title to Newkirk and Peters Injury Updates & Roster Notes

1 hour ago, aubiefifty said:

Malzahn said the team is also waiting on injuries to “a couple shoulders” to fully recover ahead of fall camp but did not clarify which players. Sophomore safety Smoke Monday was limited in the spring due to a shoulder injury.

This is and has been a concern for a while.

4 minutes ago, bigbird said:

This is and has been a concern for a while.

i know everyone is showing the love to our d line but i believe if our secondary improves with the dline wehave we will be hell on wheels..........

3 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

i know everyone is showing the love to our d line but i believe if our secondary improves with the dline wehave we will be hell on wheels..........

Safety is a real concern. Very little depth if there were to be an injury.

1 hour ago, aubiefifty said:

“There’s a couple guys that we’re kind of waiting to see,” Malzahn said. "You know, the two guys that had the Achillies, we’re gonna wait and see, the two guys that had the Achillies, we’re gonna wait and see what that looks like at the very start of fall camp."

Sooo... you are saying we are gonna wait and see???

hd waiting GIF

Last year it was ACLs, now it's Achilles. What's next? Appendixes? 

Never had an achilles injury, but have heard they are the worst. I imagine it must be terrifying, especially for a defensive lineman having to leverage all of his weight on it, worrying that it could go at any moment. I feel for Newkirk big time.

I'm wondering if Newkirk will ever be able to get any significant playing time. Achilles injuries on big guys like him are not good. I would love to see him play, he is just a huge guy and Garner really wanted him. Hope he gets a chance.

On ‎7‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 4:39 PM, WalkingCarpet said:

Last year it was ACLs, now it's Achilles. What's next? Appendixes? 

IT'S APPENDICES. ARE YOU SOME KIND OF CRAZY PERSON????!!!!

Archived