Murray: Fairley made me contemplate quitting

WFE12

1 hour ago, IronMan70 said:

I can agree with that last sentence.  The plan when they go out onto the field is for them to follow the rules. You know what they say in the military about plans right ? "A battle plan is only good until the first shot is fired" or "no battle plan survives first contact with the enemy." I'm sure Fairley asked them nicely to stop trying to blow out his knee the first 5 times and then he probably even said "please" 2 or 3 times. But at some point he noticed the UGa players weren't using the rule book anymore and he was in a war. 

Understanding why a player does what he does and excusing it are two different things. Murray didn't have anything to do with offensive linemen going after Fairley's knees. I can understand a player's frustration, but there are actions that are unacceptable no matter the circumstances. From the sound of it though, we may not be in disagreement.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

“Unacceptable no matter the circumstances”

yet there were circumstances where 87,000 fans cheered on a big hit by our safety that concussed a Georgia receiver, and left him head down, and lifeless on the ground. 

Circumstances in football haven’t changed. Public opinion has changed. 

UniqueAptAmoeba-max-1mb.gif

54 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Public opinion changes what is legal, which in-turn, changes the circumstances in football.  Just like anything else in life.

9 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

Public opinion changes what is legal, which in-turn, changes the circumstances in football.  Just like anything else in life.

Fairley’s hit would’ve been illegal 15 years ago because the hit was much later than the delivery of the ball. The blind side spearing hit into the spine by itself I’ve seen many times though. It’s the reason why QBs like Cam dress into a suit of armor. 

I still only remember one late hit from Fairley! He was considered dirty because he was dominating. Even targeted by officials vs bammer because of this reputation.  Even some of our own fans seem to have been duped in to recalling his play as dirty or unsportsmanlike. 

5 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Fairley’s hit would’ve been illegal 15 years ago because the hit was much later than the delivery of the ball. The blind side spearing hit into the spine by itself I’ve seen many times though. It’s the reason why QBs like Cam dress into a suit of armor. 

The rules are interpreted by the refs in each game, some time they get it wrong.  For some reason Cam is abused as an NFL QB like no other QB in the league.  Rivera complains about it every game.

1 hour ago, aujeff11 said:

“Unacceptable no matter the circumstances”

yet there were circumstances where 87,000 fans cheered on a big hit by our safety that concussed a Georgia receiver, and left him head down, and lifeless on the ground. 

UniqueAptAmoeba-max-1mb.gif

Talking about something completely different here

21 minutes ago, alexava said:

I still only remember one late hit from Fairley! He was considered dirty because he was dominating. Even targeted by officials vs bammer because of this reputation.  Even some of our own fans seem to have been duped in to recalling his play as dirty or unsportsmanlike. 

The only play by Fairley that fans seem to recall as dirty are the late hit you referenced. I don't see anyone here calling him a dirty player in general. 

16 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

Talking about something completely different here

Yet still applicable to my point. That hit would’ve been completely unacceptable today. Then, not so much. 

21 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

The rules are interpreted by the refs in each game, some time they get it wrong.  For some reason Cam is abused as an NFL QB like no other QB in the league.  Rivera complains about it every game.

True. Sometime they just don’t see it, other times the hits are bang bang and judgement calls. Cam never gets the benefit of the doubt and that’s irked me over the years. He reminds me of Lebron. Lebron doesn’t get a lot of deserving  fouls called because he’s a physical specimen and I guess it was assumed that he can handle the fouls more than the average player at his position??? Fairly was considered dirty over that spearing hit, but he was accurately penalized on the play. Fairley was also considered dirty for the chin stuff after the play and the video supports that. Fairley earned his reputation from that one game. 

With today’s rules, many more hits would’ve been considered dirty. Like when he slammed Jordan Jefferson and landed on him with his body weight. Plays that aren’t necessarily “remember me” shots. 

3 hours ago, alexava said:

Even targeted by officials vs bammer because of this reputation. 

Exactly correct. Tom Ritter incorrectly threw an unsportsmanlike flag on the Fairley sack of McElroy on 3rd and long because of what “he got away with” in the Georgia game. 

15 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

Off topic, but this is how it used to be.  1:11 mark.  Couldn't get the video to start there for some reason.

👍 and no sack dance or celebration. I miss those days but then I think about the number of concussions and I don't miss them as much. 

7 minutes ago, gr82be said:

I think about the number of concussions and I don't miss them as much. 

Yeah, I'm surprised Bradshaw is still functioning at the level he is.  He took a lot of abuse over his playing career.

21 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

Yeah, I'm surprised Bradshaw is still functioning at the level he is.  He took a lot of abuse over his playing career.

I don’t thing Bradshaw was unaffected though:

On 7/19/2019 at 7:36 AM, aujeff11 said:

Ben Jones was the dog’s name that did that.

He had a dirty reputation as well. He tried chopping at his legs all game: 

Fairley was Fairley. He doesn’t have to apologize for that night. Who has to apologize to Murray is every OL that let Fairley whoop him up and down the field. 

Moral of the story: Don't poke the bear if you aren't good enough to block the bear.

How many people actually listened to the Murray interview?

it was on a radio show and most of it was just good football banter with a lot of tongue in cheek.  Scumbag sports “journalist” got the clickbait and discussions he was looking for.

the tone of the written article is clearly not in alignment with the audio.

10 minutes ago, mustache eagle said:

it was on a radio show and most of it was just good football banter with a lot of tongue in cheek.  Scumbag sports “journalist” got the clickbait and discussions he was looking for.

Murray did strike me as whiny though.

Murray made it known from the start he wanted to talk about Fairley, and then when Cole said the heated portion of the game got a “little nasty,” Murray exclaimed “a little nasty!?” And then went on to say if Fairley did that in the real world he’d be in jail. 

6 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Murray did strike me as whiny though.

Murray made it known from the start he wanted to talk about Fairley, and then when Cole said the heated portion of the game got a “little nasty,” Murray exclaimed “a little nasty!?” And then went on to say if Fairley did that in the real world he’d be in jail. 

I agree that Murray seems like a whiny guy but my main point is the written article doesn’t represent the audio.  

13 hours ago, mustache eagle said:

This doesn't surprise me. And I don't have any feelings about Murray as a person. (Damned good player and played tough. Don't care what he says in interviews.)

It reminds me of how every season some guy gets asked if he thinks he's the best such-and-such in the country. And when he says yes, it gets reported as though he took to the airwaves to tell everybody how good he is. And fans somehow believe it year after year, and get their panties wadded year after year. 

Supply and demand. If sports fans don't want sports writers to write stupid sh**, then they should really quit being stupid. 

On 7/19/2019 at 2:16 PM, Barnacle said:

I don't agree with this at all. I completely accept that we don't know everything that happened on the line that day, but I don't believe anything excuses a hit like that. I'll grant you that I've seen worse hits, but the nature of the hit - with the crown of Fairley's helmet aimed to the middle of Murray's back crosses the line for me. That hit could have easily ended Murray's career. To me, that's like throwing at a batter's head, which is still never acceptable in baseball. I'm not saying that doesn't happen in baseball, but that's bush league too. Even if Georgia's linemen were hi-low'ing Fairley, which is also incredibly dangerous, I don't think it excuses Fairley's hit. Neither have a place in the game. 

not to start an argument but if the refs are not calling out the other team trying to hurt with chop blocks and removing kids dreads for their scalp what do you do? sit there and take it? no. you send a message. and before you start i would not want to see  any players hurt of any kind of permanent nature. ours or theirs. and yes i understand the word class. but legal or not players on the other team playing dirty has almost always been called out and by head coaches as well. if the other team allows it and the refs allow it what do you do? football is a game of emotion. and i believe players from other teams were taking shots at fairley all season long? maybe ol nick was just evil? i think he was sending  a message and it turned out dirtier than he planned? after almost ten years of murray whining it is time to move on. i have an old auto rookie card of his that is shaped like a football helmet. i just upgraded to one in his navy blue jersey for eight bucks.

35 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

not to start an argument but if the refs are not calling out the other team trying to hurt with chop blocks and removing kids dreads for their scalp what do you do? sit there and take it? no. you send a message. and before you start i would not want to see  any players hurt of any kind of permanent nature. ours or theirs. and yes i understand the word class. but legal or not players on the other team playing dirty has almost always been called out and by head coaches as well. if the other team allows it and the refs allow it what do you do? football is a game of emotion. and i believe players from other teams were taking shots at fairley all season long? maybe ol nick was just evil? i think he was sending  a message and it turned out dirtier than he planned? after almost ten years of murray whining it is time to move on. i have an old auto rookie card of his that is shaped like a football helmet. i just upgraded to one in his navy blue jersey for eight bucks.

For me the point is this - if the hit on Murray was to send a message because of chop blocks by linemen and such then that was a poor way to address it since Murray wasn't the one trying to chop block him. If it was just the emotion and exuberance at that point of the game then I don't have an issue with it. It's a contact sport and sometimes players get hurt. Murray needs to move on either way. 

4 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

I've already made my position pretty clear. No sense in rehashing it. 

8 hours ago, Barnacle said:

I've already made my position pretty clear. No sense in rehashing it. 

5 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

Sorry, don't understand why you quoted me here. 

You said what Rosegreen was completely different than what Fairley did. I’d like to know in what way. 

Archived