Trump blatantly lies, supporters shrug. Just another Friday.

TitanTiger

On 7/20/2019 at 9:22 PM, SaltyTiger said:

"They?" Trump was elected because we did not like the way "they" did things. 

He wasn’t elected because previous administrations didn’t communicate enough. Come on! He was elected because rural Americans were promised that he’d bring back manufacturing jobs, rich people were promised tax cuts, and racists got the impression that he’d do mass deportations and give them “their” country back. THAT is why Trump was elected. It’s not like all the conservatives who voted for him were sitting around complaining that the Obama administration didn’t speak to the press enough.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

He wasn’t elected because previous administrations didn’t communicate enough. Come on! He was elected because rural Americans were promised that he’d bring back manufacturing jobs, rich people were promised tax cuts, and racists got the impression that he’d do mass deportations and give them “their” country back. THAT is why Trump was elected. It’s not like all the conservatives who voted for him were sitting around complaining that the Obama administration didn’t speak to the press enough.

Wow half the country are racists. And everybody got tax cuts. Rich people got a very small percentage. Lots of people want border security and we are not racists for expressing it. Ask Kate Steinlie's dad.

17 hours ago, jj3jordan said:

Wow half the country are racists. And everybody got tax cuts. Rich people got a very small percentage. Lots of people want border security and we are not racists for expressing it. Ask Kate Steinlie's dad.

So you’re saying he was elected solely  because of his promise for border security (the wall)? And I didn’t say half the country were racists. Not everyone that voted for Trump is a racist. I understand that. The majority were blue collar Americans that don’t feel like the economy is working for them. 

The point I’m trying to make is that he wasn’t elected because people didn’t feel like the previous administrations were too quiet.

5 hours ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

So you’re saying he was elected solely  because of his promise for border security (the wall)? And I didn’t say half the country were racists. Not everyone that voted for Trump is a racist. I understand that. The majority were blue collar Americans that don’t feel like the economy is working for them. 

The point I’m trying to make is that he wasn’t elected because people didn’t feel like the previous administrations were too quiet.

I'm just responding to your post. You said Trump was elected because he promised to bring back manufacturing jobs in rural areas and he did. You said rich people were promised tax cuts...they weren't. Rich people got a minuscule percentage tax cut so he could say the cuts were across the board, and they were. You said racists got the impression he would mass deport illegals and give them their country back. He did say he would deport illegals and he should, but you don't get to 50M votes by using racists. If racists are a very small percentage of the population...i.e. the Klan, skinheads, whatever, then he could not have won using them. The Klan is very small and insignificant, and ironically founded and run by the democrat party, so no help for Trump. Therefore yes, my friend, you DID call half the country racist because that's the only way to get 50M votes and win the election.

31 minutes ago, jj3jordan said:

I'm just responding to your post. You said Trump was elected because he promised to bring back manufacturing jobs in rural areas and he did. You said rich people were promised tax cuts...they weren't. Rich people got a minuscule percentage tax cut so he could say the cuts were across the board, and they were. You said racists got the impression he would mass deport illegals and give them their country back. He did say he would deport illegals and he should, but you don't get to 50M votes by using racists. If racists are a very small percentage of the population...i.e. the Klan, skinheads, whatever, then he could not have won using them. The Klan is very small and insignificant, and ironically founded and run by the democrat party, so no help for Trump. Therefore yes, my friend, you DID call half the country racist because that's the only way to get 50M votes and win the election.

The cut in higher income tax rate doesn't tell the whole story:

"Third,  most Americans perceive the Trump tax cuts didn't benefit them because the highest income groups benefited the most . This is not only because of the rate changes, but because the drop in corporate taxes and rise in corporate profits ended up as higher incomes for the wealthiest households. The biggest winners in the Trump tax cuts were corporations and the households that get income from corporate profits—that is, the very wealthiest Americans. The top corporate income tax rate dropped by almost 40%, from 35% to 21%. And that cut is permanent, while the household rate cuts expire after 2025. The imbalance between household and corporate benefits is unpopular, with 62% of Americans saying it bothers them “a lot” that “some corporations don’t pay their fair share.” Even 42% of Republicans are bothered “a lot” about this."

https://www.forbes.com/sites/teresaghilarducci/2019/04/09/five-good-reasons-it-doesnt-feel-like-the-trump-tax-cut-benefited-you/#518e46a513e0

On ‎7‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 6:52 AM, AuCivilEng1 said:

I think he was elected because he wasn't Hillary Clinton.

9 minutes ago, Grumps said:

I think he was elected because he wasn't Hillary Clinton.

That was a lot of it, for sure. Between the hate for her and the hate for Obama and the ability that trump has to stir up hate period, I'm not sure who the Dems could have nominated that wouldn't have gotten the same response from the right. But I do believe that a lot of people actually did manage to convince themselves that he was the lesser of two evils. 

6 hours ago, McLoofus said:

That was a lot of it, for sure. Between the hate for her and the hate for Obama and the ability that trump has to stir up hate period, I'm not sure who the Dems could have nominated that wouldn't have gotten the same response from the right. But I do believe that a lot of people actually did manage to convince themselves that he was the lesser of two evils. 

I managed to convince myself that he was the lesser of two evils. I don't think there were many dems who seemed to be as entrenched in corruption as Mrs. Clinton. And we know she could tell a lie with the best of them.

8 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Not hate for her, she was a horrible candidate who ran a terrible campaign, mired in scandal, should be in prison, and failed to excite anybody. Trump didn’t incite hate for her anywhere. She did that to her own self..

8 hours ago, Grumps said:

I managed to convince myself that he was the lesser of two evils. I don't think there were many dems who seemed to be as entrenched in corruption as Mrs. Clinton. And we know she could tell a lie with the best of them.

Not sure how adding in overt racism, xenophobia, a general lack of curiosity, total disregard for the sanctity of our nation's institutions, and some really rapey tendencies makes him the lesser of two evils, but to each their own.

And yes, all of these things were very well known before you voted for him.

16 hours ago, McLoofus said:

That was a lot of it, for sure. 

IMO, the court played a large role for some too. 

14 minutes ago, bigbird said:

IMO, the court played a large role for some too. 

Very true. And those folks have already been rewarded. 

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

I can say it's the sole reason my parents voted for him. 

Back to the original topic -- since most of the words that come out of Trump's mouth (and tweets) are either blatant lies, racist rhetoric, or simply self-congratulatory BS, it has become useless to call him out on any particular topic.

The problem is, he is such a profligate liar that it's now impossible for any reasonable person to believe anything he says about anything at all.

And since he simply doubles-down when called out, screaming the same lie only louder, it's obvious that his supporters do not care. They just love the clownshow.

On 7/24/2019 at 8:28 AM, McLoofus said:

I wonder if they feel like they have been "rewarded".  

What are their issues/expectations for a more conservative court?   A even stronger oligarchy or is it just about abortion? 

I get why CEO's like the direction the court is going, but I don't get why common folks feel that way, unless they are fixated on making abortion completely and absolutely illegal.

On ‎7‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 6:28 AM, McLoofus said:

Not sure how adding in overt racism, xenophobia, a general lack of curiosity, total disregard for the sanctity of our nation's institutions, and some really rapey tendencies makes him the lesser of two evils, but to each their own.

And yes, all of these things were very well known before you voted for him.

I agree that I had knowledge of Trump exhibiting evidence of a low moral character. I think that my opinion of his overt racism, xenophobia and (you left it out) misogyny is probably less than yours, but either way, I never thought, and still don't think, that he is a great human being. Unfortunately, I did not see a great human being's name on the ballot. I almost wrote in a name on my ballot and sometimes wish that I had.

Ultimately, my priorities for POTUS are different from yours. I am okay with that. I still pray the Trump will actually TRY to act presidential, but I don't expect it.

3 minutes ago, Grumps said:

I agree that I had knowledge of Trump exhibiting evidence of a low moral character. I think that my opinion of his overt racism, xenophobia and (you left it out) misogyny is probably less than yours, but either way, I never thought, and still don't think, that he is a great human being. Unfortunately, I did not see a great human being's name on the ballot. I almost wrote in a name on my ballot and sometimes wish that I had.

Ultimately, my priorities for POTUS are different from yours. I am okay with that. I still pray the Trump will actually TRY to act presidential, but I don't expect it.

I respect this. 

Don't try to go buy anything with my respect, though. Wouldn't even get you a sixer of PBR at the Bi Lo. 

On 7/24/2019 at 2:56 PM, AURex said:

Back to the original topic -- since most of the words that come out of Trump's mouth (and tweets) are either blatant lies, racist rhetoric, or simply self-congratulatory BS, it has become useless to call him out on any particular topic.

The problem is, he is such a profligate liar that it's now impossible for any reasonable person to believe anything he says about anything at all.

And since he simply doubles-down when called out, screaming the same lie only louder, it's obvious that his supporters do not care. They just love the clownshow.

A lot of his “lies” were later proven to be truth. Like “I was being spied on”. People forget that after a flurry of lying allegations like yours that when he turns out to be right, nobody hears about it. 

Not racist rhetoric. That’s a label liberals try to attach to Trump but it’s not true. Sorry but if four nasty white chicks has espoused their views of this country like the jihad squad he would have expressed the exact same sentiment to them.  

Definitely self congratulatory. Always has been. Similar to but more fun than for example Obama referring to himself 97 times in a 20 minute speech.

Pretty sure you would repeat your alleged lie again and louder if you were right and some useless fake news reporter was wrong.

On 7/19/2019 at 8:24 PM, SaltyTiger said:

Obama or Hillary would not give the press time of day when leaving the White House on a Friday afternoon. Nor would the press have asked them a question rehashed over and over this week. Refreshing to have a President that respects the press enough to answer all questions. "if it had been"  is a close relative to "whataboutism".

On 7/19/2019 at 9:44 PM, TitanTiger said:

Dear Lord, do you listen to yourself?

Salty finds Trump’s lies “refreshing.” 

10 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

Salty finds Trump’s lies “refreshing.” 

Trumpisms Tex, not lies, 90% are Trumpisms and the other half are exaggerations

10 hours ago, homersapien said:

They are extremely gullible.

Or you’re on the wrong side of things.

Archived