#IStandWithErica trends after Georgia Democratic lawmaker says she was told to 'go back where you came from'

Auburn85

https://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/454005-istandwitherica-trends-after-georgia-dem-lawmaker-says-she-was

The hashtag #IStandWithErica trended on Twitter on Saturday after a black Georgia state lawmaker said she was told to “go back where you came from” as she shopped at a grocery store.

State Rep. Erica Thomas (D), minority vice chairwoman in the Georgia state House, tweeted Friday that she was “verbally assaulted” at the supermarket by a white man who told her she was “a lazy SOB” because she had more than the maximum items to enter an express lane.

Thomas recounted the exchange in a Facebook Live video that has since been reposted to Twitter.

"I’m at the grocery store, and I’m in the aisle that says '10 items or less.' Yes, I have 15 items, but I’m nine months pregnant, and I can’t stand up for long," Thomas says in the video through tears. "And this white man comes up to me and says, 'You lazy son of a bitch.'"

"He says, 'You lazy son of a bitch. You need to go back where you came from,'" Thomas continues, adding that she tried to explain that she was pregnant and not lazy. "It hurt me so bad. ... I couldn't get anything out. I could just tell him, 'Please leave me alone.'"

Hundreds used the hashtag to show support for Thomas, including actress Patricia Arquette, who tweeted Saturday that the video was “MANDATORY VIEWING” and added that “WE WILL NOT ALLOW THIS CANCER TO GROW.” 

MANDATORY VIEWING - NO THIS IS NOT ACCEPTABLE. NO WE WILL NOT ALLOW THIS CANCER TO GROW. NO THIS CANNOT BE NORMALIZED. #IStandwithErica #racism https://t.co/MJeJOpQtwW

— Patricia Arquette (@PattyArquette) July 20, 2019 

The now-viral video comes less than a week after President Trump attacked a group of minority progressive congresswomen — Democratic Reps. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (N.Y.), Ilhan Omar (Minn.), Ayanna Pressley (Mass.) and Rashida Tlaib (Mich.) — tweeting Sunday that they should “go back” to their home countries despite the fact that all four are U.S. citizens and only Omar was born outside the U.S.

At a campaign rally in North Carolina on Wednesday, supporters erupted into “send her back” chants targeting Omar after Trump attacked the freshman congresswoman, who came to the U.S. as a Somali refugee when she was a child.

https://news.yahoo.com/white-man-denies-saying-back-215430929.html

White man denies saying 'Go back where you came from'

MABLETON, Ga. (AP) — A white man has admitted cursing at a pregnant black Georgia lawmaker for taking too many items into a supermarket express lane but denies telling her, "go back where you came from."

Eric Sparkes showed up during a WSB-TV interview with Rep. Erica Thomas of Austell on Saturday, outside the Atlanta-area Publix store where the incident occurred , the station reported .

He denied making any racially charged comment, adding, "I am Cuban."

Thomas confronted Sparkes in front of reporters and said he had "degraded and berated" her. She has told The Associated Press she notified police and will seek store video.

In a tearful Facebook video posted Friday, Thomas said she was in the express line because she is nine months pregnant and cannot stand for long. Thomas' video went viral as the hashtag #IStandwithErica trended on Twitter.

On Saturday, Sparkes told reporters he called her a vulgarity but did not say anything racial.

Thomas said Sparkes was just trying to make himself look better.

Sparkes said he's a Democrat and was being unjustly attacked for political purposes.

Thomas said Friday that she never identified herself to Sparkes as a public official. She said she was so taken aback by his actions that she didn't think to try to record them.

In a statement, Publix has said the company is "cooperating with local law enforcement as they look into the matter."

The incident came days after President Donald Trump tweeted that four congresswomen of color, including U.S. Rep. Ilhan Omar of Minnesota, should go back to the "broken and crime infested" countries they came from.

In her video, Thomas alluded to those attacks and accused the president of inciting hate.

During the television interview, she said Sparkes "needs to be held accountable because people can't just go out and berate pregnant women."

We've been assured that "go back to where you came from" isn't racist and is a completely legit way to address people, especially black people.

Let’s see, an Hispanic man that has been labeled a *white* man by this woman (and the media) for political reasons, that is also a democrat is now a racist.  No wonder that word is no longer relevant.

2 hours ago, I_M4_AU said:

Let’s see, an Hispanic man that has been labeled a *white* man by this woman (and the media) for political reasons, that is also a democrat is now a racist.  No wonder that word is not longer relevant.

1) A LATINO Man is Labeled WHITE

2) A DEMOCRAT is Labeled REPUBLICAN

3) All this is so a random act of stupid can be aimed at another man.

Folks, there are so many things that you can legitimately throw at Trump, why is a lawmaker having to make things up?

She admits he didn't actually say "go back where you came from".

7 hours ago, Auburnfan91 said:

She admits he didn't actually say "go back where you came from".

Wow, I’m shocked...not really though. 

10 hours ago, DKW 86 said:

1) A LATINO Man is Labeled WHITE

2) A DEMOCRAT is Labeled REPUBLICAN

3) All this is so a random act of stupid can be aimed at another man.

Folks, there are so many things that you can legitimately throw at Trump, why is a lawmaker having to make things up?

Well, all sarcasm from my earlier post aside, a few thoughts:

1.  After watching the video where the guy confronts her, he looks white. I would never peg him as Latino or Hispanic. Light skinned, no discernible accent. 

2.  I haven’t seen any story or tweet where he has been labeled a Republican.

3.  I’ll be interested to see if any of the witnesses she says heard him say something to the effect of “go back to where you came from” can be produced. 

4.  I could see her exaggerating what he said for political gain. 

5. She seems to be backpedaling a little on remembering exactly what phrase he used. 

I could see this one going either way. Depends on what the cashier and others nearby say if they heard it all. 

People these days just want to be outraged at something. Jumping to conclusions after reading the headlines rather than waiting for the full story to emerge. It has become ridiculous, but the media loves it as it gets those clicks and comments.

On 7/21/2019 at 6:41 PM, I_M4_AU said:

Let’s see, an Hispanic man that has been labeled a *white* man by this woman (and the media) for political reasons, that is also a democrat is now a racist.  No wonder that word is no longer relevant.

Some of our brethren have lost their damn minds. 

Hahahahahahahahahahaha....oh man....debunked faster than Jussie Smollett..  A half assed Politburo wannabe cuts in line at the grocery store express lane and makes up s*** and you ass clowns dutifully parrot the horse***t.  So which is it?; 1) Are you just this ******* stupid that you continually parrot everything anyone claims or 2) are you this ******* venile that you'll parrot anything anyone says you think will tarnish us "white folk"?  I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say I think some of you haven't accepted that 2016 election very well....oh man...it wasn't her turn...

On 7/22/2019 at 8:09 AM, johnnyAU said:

People these days just want to be outraged at something. Jumping to conclusions after reading the headlines rather than waiting for the full story to emerge. It has become ridiculous, but the media loves it as it gets those clicks and comments.

you just described trump and his base.................the tbs is powerful in you young jedi.

4 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

you just described trump and his base.................the tbs is powerful in you young jedi.

Not even close. Complete hooey.

2 hours ago, jj3jordan said:

Not even close. Complete hooey.

history will not look back in fondness with trump and his mostly deranged followers regardless how ya paint it.

Well, one of the witnesses is speaking up now:

...The police report lists four witnesses, three of whom work at Publix. One of them, Derrick Tompkins, was asked by the AJC whether he heard Sparkes tell Thomas to “go back” to where she came from.

“I’m not going to say that wasn’t said, but I don’t remember hearing it,” said Tompkins, a 25-year-old cashier for the store. “I’m going to leave it at that.”

https://www.ajc.com/news/state--regional-govt--politics/dispute-builds-over-georgia-lawmaker-confrontation-grocery-store/AB0Aa0HJFc9sI0RvFJSoLP/

We'll see if she produces anyone who can corroborate her version of what was said.

6 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

I described both bases at this point. Believing it is one-sided is delusional.

44 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

Well, one of the witnesses is speaking up now:

We'll see if she produces anyone who can corroborate her version of what was said.

Maybe Jesse and Al can bus in some witnesses for her.

Wait, what? 🤦🏼‍♂️

1 hour ago, aubearcat said:

Wait, what? 🤦🏼‍♂️

If only there was a gun involved.  We could have had the trifecta. 

32 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

If only there was a gun involved.  We could have had the trifecta. 

Maybe a hijab. 

21 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

history will not look back in fondness with trump and his mostly deranged followers regardless how ya paint it.

I'm not the one painting history dishonestly.

Archived