Auburn VS Oregon Discussion (Merged Threads)

aucanucktiger

A Cam-led team was not going to lose that year. The football lords wouldn't allow it.

There was something magical about that season. The close wins. The insane plays where we got the bounces. Cam just had that winning mojo. From Hail Mary's to ridiculous comebacks to opposing teams missing extra points/dropping TDs that team was just flat out destined to win the national title the moment we won that Clemson game. 

• Replies 452
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The takeaway from the articles I've posted is ---- Oregon has a LOT motivation, a LOT of emotional investment, a LOT of anger, a LOT of inspiration, a lot of talent, and a coach who has seen Auburn as an opponent 4 times and won 3 of those meetings..

Oregon has a Heisman-candidate QB, really good RBs, an experienced OL with at least 2 NFL early draft pics, and the best defense in the PAC12.

Auburn better take this game very seriously, because Oregon is not a gimmee just because they are PAC12. If Malzahn shows up with whirlybirds and the same-ole-same-ole that Cristobal has seen over and over and over, goodbye W.

That's my take, and I'm sticking with it. Malzahn is on the hot seat from GAME ONE! If Auburn loses this game, Malzahn is running uphill in neck-high doodoo wearing lead boots for the rest of the season. This is a MUST WIN for Malzahn, and Oregon is crazy-wild to make sure Oregon wins this game! Do not underestimate the Ducks in this game.

I see this as a weird beginning to a weird and (eventually) wonderful season. We barely lose to Oregon who turns around and loses to Nevada but then we lose only 1 more regular season game (Florida away or Bama) vaulting us into a playoff spot! Along the way our D line will mop the floor with at least a couple really good teams 🙂

Oregon already announced they will be wearing green in this game, so I'm expecting Auburn to be in white.

I think Auburn came out very prepared vs Washington. Similar to how they came out against Louisville. I also think Gus tried to do too much with Jeremy when he couldve just played to strengths and beat them down slowly. Probably didnt do enough after they got to 10 points earky on Washington (I think it was a fumble or something that clogged up the flow in that game). I think in openers where Auburn is comparably talented, or better, Gus's problem seems to be keeping the gas on the pedal. I think Clemson was severely better than us, but they beat the hell out of them the first 2 drives too and only went up 6-0 I believe (in Death Valley, I might add)

Auburn is probably going to take Oregon's fire out early, as they've done in the matchups Ive mentioned, only God knows if they'll be able to keep up their own fire and not just allow this to be another nail biter where the other team wins the important quarters

On 7/12/2019 at 12:26 PM, Scotty2Hotty said:

It’s the first meeting between these teams since Auburn’s 22-19 win in the BCS National Championship game in 2011.

Initiate “Michael Dyer was down!!!” screams from every Duck fan reading this”

Hahaha

To be fair, i didnt get much of that at all. I got a LOT of hate wearing my auburn stuff and with my auburn stickers on my car... Got my car keyed a couple of times and got a window busted out, but didnt hear a whole lot about that run. 

But they absolutely hate us... The fans especially. And i count their Heisman candidate QB as a fan as well as player, so he shares that hate for us. Justin Herbert is a hometown kid. He is from Eugene. You can bet your bottom dollar he will be looking for vengeance.

20 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

To be fair, i didnt get much of that at all. I got a LOT of hate wearing my auburn stuff and with my auburn stickers on my car... Got my car keyed a couple of times and got a window busted out, but didnt hear a whole lot about that run. 

But they absolutely hate us... The fans especially. And i count their Heisman candidate QB as a fan as well as player, so he shares that hate for us. Justin Herbert is a hometown kid. He is from Eugene. You can bet your bottom dollar he will be looking for vengeance.

All the Oregon fans I encountered pre and post game in Phoenix were quite nice. I don't get the hate, it's not like we're rivals who play each other frequently.

On 7/12/2019 at 7:37 PM, Tiger said:

A Cam-led team was not going to lose that year. The football lords wouldn't allow it.

There was something magical about that season. The close wins. The insane plays where we got the bounces. Cam just had that winning mojo. From Hail Mary's to ridiculous comebacks to opposing teams missing extra points/dropping TDs that team was just flat out destined to win the national title the moment we won that Clemson game. 

Exactly. Clemson was the test coming into that season. They played well enough to win. QB overthrows the winning TD pass. Snapper double-clutches the snap. That would be the closest Auburn came to losing the rest of the way. Early test "survived" (as Rod Bramblett called it).

The schedule lined up perfectly. Gave Cam a nice cushion to integrate himself with the offense. Cupcake, road test against MSU, home games against Clemson and South Carolina, Cupcake, road test against Kentucky, homes games against Arkansas and LSU.

Had the schedule been on an odd-numbered year, I'm not sure we escape Clemson and LSU with a win. The only team we beat comfortably on the road was Ole Miss. That's why the schedule lined up perfectly.

On 7/14/2019 at 8:07 AM, selias said:

All the Oregon fans I encountered pre and post game in Phoenix were quite nice. I don't get the hate, it's not like we're rivals who play each other frequently.

Yeah, I can tell you firsthand that there's no real hatred in Eugene for Auburn.

Ohio State, yes, but that's more due to their fans than their team. 

Greetings Auburn fans! I had a great time with you in Glendale and can't believe it's already been nearly a decade. Sheeeeesh.

We've both certainly had our ups and downs since then. 

As for this season, I think Cristobal's biggest MO that will give us a good chance will be our drastically improved size and athleticism on the lines. Something we were missing before. 

But one concern I have that no one else seems to have, is that we've had no depth at receiver in the last year. We swapped position coaches, in addition to bringing in Andy Avalos as DC from Boise State, but we also lost our only star (Dillon Mitchell) to the NFL.

If our receivers can't get any leverage or, god forbid can't hold onto the ball, we're in for a long day. 

Is it football season yet? 

Go Ducks

12 minutes ago, Stumptown Duck said:

Yeah, I can tell you firsthand that there's no real hatred in Eugene for Auburn.

Greetings Auburn fans! I had a great time with you in Glendale and can't believe it's already been nearly a decade. Sheeeeesh.

As for this season, I think Cristobal's biggest MO that will give us a good chance will be our drastically improved size and athleticism on the lines. Something we were missing before. 

But one concern I have that no one else seems to have, is that we've had no depth at receiver in the last year. We swapped position coaches, in addition to bringing in Andy Avalos as DC from Boise State, but we also lost our only star (Dillon Mitchell) to the NFL.

If our receivers can't get any leverage or, god forbid can't hold onto the ball, we're in for a long day. 

Go Ducks

Welcome to the forum!  Happy to have you

16 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

Welcome to the forum!  Happy to have you

Thanks!

One of the first memories I have is boarding a flight to Phoenix with a healthy 50/50 mix of Ducks and Tigers fans (and one CU fan), out of Denver.

Someone jokingly said "Go Beavers" and I yelled "Roll Tide." The silence was deafening. It was like yelling bomb on the plane. 

Like I said, had a great time with AU fans during that game. 

38 minutes ago, Stumptown Duck said:

Go Ducks

Glad to have you. 

How do you like Cristobal?

2 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Glad to have you. 

How do you like Cristobal?

You can't argue with his recruiting success, and honestly I think we've had a bit of an identity change toward becoming one of the more physical teams in the P12 with the likes of Stanford and Washington.

Last year was so up and down though. There were games that we just didn't seem prepared for and got the doors beat off of us early - Arizona and WSU to be specific.

I think his OC Marcus Arroyo really began to struggle, and admitted as much at the end of the season - so we brought in more help in the form of analysts for him, including former backup QB and fan favorite Nate Costa (he was Darron Thomas' backup in 2010). 

Overall though, we feel like we sort of dodged a bullet by losing Willie Taggart and upgraded with Cristobal. We're recruiting better than ever and there seems to be great chemistry between him and his staff, finally. 

Little known fact is that there was a rift between Cristobal and previous DC Jim Leavitt, then the highest paid assistant in the P12. Leavitt felt the head gig was his after Taggart went to FSU. 

Did I tell you how much we don't miss Willie Taggart?

UO fandom aside, I will say I'm ready for the 2019 edition of Mr Malzahn's Wild Ride 😉

1 hour ago, Stumptown Duck said:

Go Ducks

I just want to see if this QB is the real deal! A lot of evaluation will come from this game and probably unwarranted criticism, since it is the first game back. However, if he dominates that can sky rocket his headman push as well as the perception of the Pac.

1 hour ago, DAG said:

I just want to see if this QB is the real deal! A lot of evaluation will come from this game and probably unwarranted criticism, since it is the first game back. However, if he dominates that can sky rocket his headman push as well as the perception of the Pac.

I'll say this, he's thrown some of the prettiest passes I've seen, even more than Mariota, Harrington, etc. I'm not exaggerating when I say that he showed flashes of genius at the start of last year.

Great mobility and size, unflappable and doesn't get rattled easily.

He deserves credit for beating Washington and nearly beating Stanford (a victory we full out blew). 

But too inconsistent in 2018. And that leads me back to Arroyo (our OC), our receivers issue, or him. 

So I guess what I'm saying is, I agree with you. A lot to find out.

12 hours ago, Stumptown Duck said:

Last year was so up and down though. There were games that we just didn't seem prepared for and got the doors beat off of us early - Arizona and WSU to be specific.

Welcome. Post often. We know exactly how you feel. But Cristobal is still figuring things out and it seems he's being proactive with making changes. Seems there's reason to be optimistic for his success up there. 

Looking forward to continuing the conversation with you. 

2 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Welcome. Post often. We know exactly how you feel. But Cristobal is still figuring things out and it seems he's being proactive with making changes. Seems there's reason to be optimistic for his success up there. 

Looking forward to continuing the conversation with you. 

Absolutely. And there seems to be a lot of love for and from the players thus far. 

One thing I'm looking forward to is for us to get back to a run-first team. We led the Pac 12 in rushing for something like 10 consecutive years at one point. 

We've got two backs who were young last year that really came into their own. CJ Verdell is patient off the blocks and can really put in a day's work. What we're hoping to see from him this year is a better ability to burst through a hole - he's shown signs of it, but seems to get tripped up at the ankles quite often.

Travis Dye is a speedster and the two split carries most of last year.

The offensive line, if they stay healthy, is perhaps the best that we've had in well over a decade. 

Cristobal puts a ton of trust in them (he is an O-lineman after all). As I mentioned earlier, our biggest win of last year was easily Washington. Cristobal stuck with the run game, even at 2-3 yds per carry and after losing two starting guards during the game, to keep pounding through to the finish. His top priority is to build an unwaivering confidence in that line. That strategy may seem like table stakes in the SEC, but is a different feel from us - where we've previously had smaller linemen that were quicker and did a lot of zone blocking.

I'm more excited for this game than in most years past, mostly because I just have no idea what to expect. Sounds about right for you guys too.

On 7/14/2019 at 10:07 AM, selias said:

The "fans" in general at oregon are awesome. But up there they let people go out to their cars at halftime and people get stupid drunk and are obliterated by the time they leave. They tend to do things to vehicles outside Autzen after a loss...especially if you are like most and park outside the stadium grounds. I learned to ride the LTD or EmX which are both public transportation systems in and around Eugene. 

15 hours ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

they let people go out to their cars at halftime and people get stupid drunk and are obliterated by the time they leave. They tend to do things to vehicles after a loss...especially if you are like most and park outside the stadium grounds.

FF_844119ALT2_full.jpg&w=900

On 7/16/2019 at 8:34 PM, Auburn2Eugene said:

The "fans" in general at oregon are awesome. But up there they let people go out to their cars at halftime and people get stupid drunk and are obliterated by the time they leave. They tend to do things to vehicles outside Autzen after a loss...especially if you are like most and park outside the stadium grounds. I learned to ride the LTD or EmX which are both public transportation systems in and around Eugene. 

I've never witnessed or heard of things done to vehicles outside of Autzen, but I know inebriated Duck fans, like many fans can be a different animal. Or should i say animals.

I will say though now they've closed re-entry to the stadium, since beer & wine are now sold within the stadium. Not sure that helps, but I can tell you as a UO grad that there will be less chugging bourbon in the parking lot at halftime. 😊

23 minutes ago, Stumptown Duck said:

I've never witnessed or heard of things done to vehicles outside of Autzen, but I know inebriated Duck fans, like many fans can be a different animal. Or should i say animals.

I will say though now they've closed re-entry to the stadium, since beer & wine are now sold within the stadium. Not sure that helps, but I can tell you as a UO grad that there will be less chugging bourbon in the parking lot at halftime. 😊

Good for y'all. Enjoy the profits and the decreased booze-fueled shenanigans in the stadium. We had a big argument around here when Auburn decided not to take advantage of the new rule. "We" are a very, very conservative fanbase. To the point that we think that folks would suddenly start getting wasted and belligerent on stadium beers that are 4% alcohol, cost $8 and take 30 minutes to procure at a maximum of 2 per trip... and that that will be worse than, as you mentioned, the folks who power drink the hard stuff outside the stadium so that it will last an entire half, in your case, or an entire game in ours.  :no:

11 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Good for y'all. Enjoy the profits and the decreased booze-fueled shenanigans in the stadium. We had a big argument around here when Auburn decided not to take advantage of the new rule. "We" are a very, very conservative fanbase. To the point that we think that folks would suddenly start getting wasted and belligerent on stadium beers that are 4% alcohol, cost $8 and take 30 minutes to procure at a maximum of 2 per trip... and that that will be worse than, as you mentioned, the folks who power drink the hard stuff outside the stadium so that it will last an entire half, in your case, or an entire game in ours.  :no:

I will say that 6-7% IPAs can leave their mark for sure, but in-stadium arrests actually went down in 2018 so it may be working. 

A 37% decrease in overall ejections, and a whopping 49% decrease in alcohol related ejections - according to the Eugene Register Guard.

22 minutes ago, Stumptown Duck said:

I will say that 6-7% IPAs can leave their mark for sure, but in-stadium arrests actually went down in 2018 so it may be working. 

A 37% decrease in overall ejections, and a whopping 49% decrease in alcohol related ejections - according to the Eugene Register Guard.

Yup. Similar numbers at other schools that started selling in the stadium. 

Of COURSE y'all sell quality IPAs. Damn, I need to get back out there.

Archived