Auburn VS Oregon Discussion (Merged Threads)

aucanucktiger

On ‎12‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 3:23 PM, aujeff11 said:

Gus isn’t tbe OL coach. That was Hand’s call. 

Well the real problem was that Hand was assigned to the box to relay info to Gus. No one was on the sidelines to make adjustments. I remember it vividly as someone who has coached o-line a few years. The players came off to the sidelines and NO ONE talked to them. They sat alone in their chairs the entire game. It was never addressed...

• Replies 452
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, 1913-14 said:

Well the real problem was that Hand was assigned to the box to relay info to Gus. No one was on the sidelines to make adjustments. I remember it vividly as someone who has coached o-line a few years. The players came off to the sidelines and NO ONE talked to them. They sat alone in their chairs the entire game. It was never addressed...

This leaves me speechless to be honest. No wonder our OL recruiting is terrible. We don't prepare them for the NFL and on top of that the kids weren't even receiving in-game coaching for a few years. 

Would you send your son to a program with those 2 red flags flying high?

6 minutes ago, Tiger said:

This leaves me speechless to be honest. No wonder our OL recruiting is terrible. We don't prepare them for the NFL and on top of that the kids weren't even receiving in-game coaching for a few years. 

Would you send your son to a program with those 2 red flags flying high?

I agree here and to add to this, Auburn hasn’t had their QB coach on the sidelines for the better part of two seasons (it really showed this season).  With a guaranteed young and inexperienced QB this year, it will be interesting to see where Dillingham will be spending his time during the game.

1 minute ago, I_M4_AU said:

I agree here and to add to this, Auburn hasn’t had their QB coach on the sidelines for the better part of two seasons (it really showed this season).  With a guaranteed young and inexperienced QB this year, it will be interesting to see where Dillingham will be spending his time during the game.

If I'm not mistaken Dilly will be up in the booth. 

2 minutes ago, Tiger said:

If I'm not mistaken Dilly will be up in the booth. 

That’s the plan, but is it reasonable for that to happen?  The only time I witnessed Gus coaching the QBs in a game this year was when he got in WM face for incorrect reads.  This isn’t the way to correct a problem right after it happens.  It’s better to have a good cop, bad cop approach than just leaving a guy in a depressed state.  CCL could and probably talked to him via the phone, but unless the coach can look into the eyes of the QB he doesn’t know if he has communicated with that player.  Kodi would be better in the booth than Dillingham IMO.  Kodi know the system and what Gus is like.

Gus’ team so.......

1 minute ago, I_M4_AU said:

That’s the plan, but is it reasonable for that to happen?  The only time I witnessed Gus coaching the QBs in a game this year was when he got in WM face for incorrect reads.  This isn’t the way to correct a problem right after it happens.  It’s better to have a good cop, bad cop approach than just leaving a guy in a depressed state.  CCL could and probably talked to him via the phone, but unless the coach can look into the eyes of the QB he doesn’t know if he has communicated with that player.  Kodi would be better in the booth than Dillingham IMO.  Kodi know the system and what Gus is like.

Gus’ team so.......

Good point about Kodi. And yeah, I totally get yelling at a player during the game to get a message across. But I also see a lot of value in coaching a kid calmly during the game to keep his head right and focused at the task at hand -- particularly a kid who never gets on the field and is just trying to soak up the game experience in the moment. It's obvious he's a little fuzzy during the games on his decision making because he has almost zero experience to fall back on and when he does get in the game he's basically only handing it off on the HB dive.

But come Sunday or Monday in the film room? That's when you lay into him IMO. I don't think kids these days react well to the in-your-face coaching style from the old school in the moment, especially when they have no game experience to fall back on. 

Totally agree on the face to face communication -- particularly with QBs. It's such a critical position with so much responsibility that there seems to be a lot of value in speaking to them where you can look them in the face.

Coaches have different styles....NS for example rarely shies from getting in a player's face over a mistake, stupid penalty or whatever displeases him....some coaches let the assistants give out the heat.   But, IMO , unless someone reacts to the player right when the mistake is made, it's easy enough for a guy to think the mistake was not important.   When one of your kids screws up, you don't wait until the next day to deal with it. JMO

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

Coaches have different styles....NS for example rarely shies from getting in a player's face over a mistake, stupid penalty or whatever displeases him....some coaches let the assistants give out the heat.   But, IMO , unless someone reacts to the player right when the mistake is made, it's easy enough for a guy to think the mistake was not important.   When one of your kids screws up, you don't wait until the next day to deal with it. JMO

Yeah, if the kid screws up, I have no problem with the coach getting in his face.  Now he know he screwed up, the problem comes when you just let him stew in his own juices and not let him know why he screwed up.  Sometimes it is obvious, sometimes not, either way a good QB coach (position coach) will start asking leading questions as to what he was thinking when he did what he did.  If he is young and inexperienced, the time to ask what he was thinking is right after he made the mistake.

The HC doesn’t have time to do this, his position coach should have the time because it’s his job.  Without playcalling duties, Dillingham could make a big impression on our young QBs.  The more he talks to the starting QB early, the less he will have to talk to him as the season goes on if he communicates effectively.  JMO.

I think we win. Gus usually does good when he has time and motivation I think next year will be a better year in many ways. There are rumors that many fans on this board have opted out of their Senior year so things might not be as negative next year around here. ( Just kidding people will always find stuff to complain about).

3 minutes ago, bg5 said:

I think we win. Gus usually does good when he has time and motivation I think next year will be a better year in many ways.

I struggle with this logic myself and it's not just been you saying this. We do not have a starting QB and likely won't until one week before the season starts if Gus stays true to form. Where is this confidence coming from?

6 minutes ago, bg5 said:

There are rumors that many fans on this board have opted out of their Senior year so things might not be as negative next year around here. ( Just kidding people will always find stuff to complain about).

Nice job there. 👍

37 minutes ago, gr82be said:

I struggle with this logic myself and it's not just been you saying this. We do not have a starting QB and likely won't until one week before the season starts if Gus stays true to form. Where is this confidence coming from?

Nice job there. 👍

Every team that has a QB graduate or go Pro is without a QB right now. I don't think Gus will wait that long to name a QB I know we all like to bash the guy but I think now that we have Dillingham we will start to have our QB's more developed. Oregon wasn't all that great this year with some very weak opponents.  Bowling Green-3-9, Portland St. 4-7, San Jose St. 1-11, Cal 7-6, Arizona-5-7, UCLA 3-9, Arizona St. 7-6 and Oregon St. 2-10. Not exactly like SEC play. Except for Tenn. every team Auburn lost to was top 20. Our O'line is our biggest weakness and those guys will have another year experience + hopefully new blood coming in through a grad transfer.

On 12/26/2018 at 7:33 PM, Gowebb11 said:

Mario Cristabol is one of the best at that. 

Mario Cristobal can also call Saban, Smart, and Pruitt for pointers on hoe  to  stop  Gus,and he will.

6 minutes ago, ToomersStreet said:

Mario Cristobal can also call Saban, Smart, and Pruitt for pointers on hoe  to  stop  Gus,and he will.

Not sure why that matters unless he's gonna borrow some of their players.   Otherwise, he can watch all the game film he wants and save the price of a phone call. 

Seems like we've moved to round 2 now....the first round being all the explanations why AU couldn't beat Purdue and predictions of a big AU loss.......so now it's time to move on to the  Oregon game...and when AU wins that game it will be explained to us that the ducks were a Pac 12 team and not that good anyway.   :dunno:

19 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Not sure why that matters unless he's gonna borrow some of their players.   Otherwise, he can watch all the game film he wants and save the price of a phone call. 

Seems like we've moved to round 2 now....the first round being all the explanations why AU couldn't beat Purdue and predictions of a big AU loss.......so now it's time to move on to the  Oregon game...and when AU wins that game it will be explained to us that the ducks were a Pac 12 team and not that good anyway.   :dunno:

Except Oregon has an amazing QB.  Oregon is more talented.  Oregon has a  winning culture.  Who said we were going to lose to Purdue.  I didn't think we would blow them out in the first half like we did.  but the final score  didn't surprie me.  As usual, with a massive  lead Gus only allowed for  his future QB's to  throw for  a  combined two  passes.

18 minutes ago, ToomersStreet said:

Except Oregon has an amazing QB.  Oregon is more talented.  Oregon has a  winning culture.  Who said we were going to lose to Purdue.  I didn't think we would blow them out in the first half like we did.  but the final score  didn't surprie me.  As usual, with a massive  lead Gus only allowed for  his future QB's to  throw for  a  combined two  passes.

Oregon QB....guess you did not see their bowl game huh..?   Winning culture? .....nope....some good seasons under Chip and a couple with his recruits but mostly Oregon had been second fiddle to the California teams with some good and some bad years....9-4, 7-6, 4-8 in last 3 years.   This is not the Oregon of Chip Kelly and has not been for a while.

JMO but AU should do fine...even with an unknown QB.  

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/oregon/index.html

According to a mashup of 247's composite and Rivals (I think), Oregon has had the 19th-best recruiting classes over the last 5 years and we have had the 7th. That is a very significant disparity in talent, and I would venture a guess that it is most acute in the defensive front 7. That has been the case for a decade and continues to be. The Southeast has dominated CFB because we have speed and size on defense. 

Oregon is not going to put a big number on the scoreboard. Just a matter of whether or not we have a coherent and sensible identity on offense IMO. 

33 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

According to a mashup of 247's composite and Rivals (I think), Oregon has had the 19th-best recruiting classes over the last 5 years and we have had the 7th. That is a very significant disparity in talent, and I would venture a guess that it is most acute in the defensive front 7. That has been the case for a decade and continues to be. The Southeast has dominated CFB because we have speed and size on defense. 

Oregon is not going to put a big number on the scoreboard. Just a matter of whether or not we have a coherent and sensible identity on offense IMO. 

no more likes....so....👍

• 4 months later...
17 hours ago, aucanucktiger said:

Bump

Because there wasn't already enough threads about the Oregon game on the first page?

11 hours ago, LKEEL75 said:

Because there wasn't already enough threads about the Oregon game on the first page?

...because MORE discussion on a "forum" is a horrible thing to see?

• 2 weeks later...

I know there are a few threads but they're named with pretty specific titles. Let's try and use this one for all things Auburn vs. Oregon.

Here's the newest article from an Oregon writer previewing Auburn for their fans; it's always fun seeing an outsider's perspective.

https://247sports.com/college/oregon/LongFormArticle/Oregon-Football-Auburn-Football-Ducks--132386324/#132386324_1

Know Your Foe: What do you need to know about Auburn?
By ERIK SKOPIL 19 hours ago

During the offseason months, we'll begin previewing Oregon's upcoming opponents. We'll do so in a variety of ways and with a variety of feature stories. Today, we begin the series with a brief look at the Auburn Tigers, who the Ducks will open the 2019 season against in the Advocare Classic in Texas on Aug. 31. 

This story will provide a brief history of the schools' meetings, and then take a look at a handful of storylines worth monitoring this summer. Because, as the headline suggests, it's important to Know Your Foe. 

OREGON VS. AUBURN HISTORY

Last meeting: Well, this is a rough place to start this story, but we begin in January 2010 all the same. There is just one meeting between these schools, and it came in the 2011 BCS National Championship game in Glendale (Ariz.). As any Oregon supporter with an adequate memory recalls, that game was determined on the final drive of the game, when Auburn running back Michael Dyer rolled over an Oregon defender and then rumbled down the sideline while Duck defenders sought a whistle. It was ruled Dyer was never down, and a few plays later Auburn kicker Wes Byrum sealed the game with a 19-yard field goal to lift the Tigers to a 22-19 national championship victory.

AUBURN IN 2019
Coach: Gus Malzahn, 7th year (63-20 overall; 53-27 at Auburn)
2018 record: 8-5
Returning starters: 7 offense; 7 defense
Series history: Auburn 1-0

TOP STORYLINES
A new man at QB for the Tigers

Jarrett Stidham leaped to the NFL Draft a year early. That removes the possibility of a Stidham-Justin Herbert shootout. That's unfortunate, as both players are believed to have professional futures. With Stidham gone, the Tigers have been forced to retool the offense. This spring concluded without Malzahn settling on a replacement. It appears the job will come down to a pair of frosh in Joey Gatewood (redshirt freshman) and Bo Nix (true freshman). The duo split time with the first-team offense in the program's spring game. Each player showed well. The point is clear, however, regardless of who it is throwing passes in Texas in August, they'll be making their first collegiate starts.

Cadillac Williams back at Auburn

Former Tiger star and NFL running back Cadillac Williams has returned to the school to coach the team's running backs. Williams (2001-04) is second on the school's all-time rushing list behind Bo Jackson, and is a legend in Auburn. He'll oversee a position group that failed to see a bell cow step forward in 2018 in the wake of Kerryon Johnson's departure for the NFL. No Auburn running back surpassed the 1,000 yard mark for the first time since 2009. Still, there seems to be plenty of optimism that they'll begin a new streak.

Following spring practice, Auburn offensive coordinator Kenny Dillingham told reporters he thought it was "realistic" that Auburn would have two such 1,000-yard rushers in 2019. JaTarvious Whitlow led the team with 787 yards last season. Kam Martin and Shaun Shivers, who were second and third on the team in rushing last season, are both back.

All five back along the offensive line

Just like the Ducks, the Tigers are expected to trot out a cohesive veteran unit next fall. All five starters are back up front. Also similar to Oregon, none of those returning starters received much all-conference recognition. Still, the group is expected to be very solid next fall. They'll be led by tackle Prince Tega Wanogho, who Gil Brandt lists as one of his seven best senior offensive linemen in the country along with Ducks Calvin Throckmorton and Shane Lemieux.

Lots of weapons at wide receiver
The Tigers didn't have a single offensive player make an All-SEC team last season. That's an unusual occurrence for a program that regularly sends skill positions players to the league. Yet, even with the departure of the team's top two receivers in 2018 (Ryan Davis and Darius Slayton), wide receiver remains an expected position of strength this fall. Last season saw freshman wideouts Seth Williams and Anthony Schwartz blossom late. The duo finished third and fourth in receiving. Both players had strong springs, especially Williams.

"You’ve got to have somebody that can win on the outside," Malzahn said following the program's spring game. "It was good to see Seth make some of those plays (on A-Day)."

It's going to be strength vs. strength up front

As stated above, both teams bring back all five offensive line starters. It doesn't stop there for Auburn though. They also bring back nearly everyone of importance along the defensive line, led by second-team All-SEC defensive tackle Derrick Brown. Brandt has Brown ranked as his top senior defensive lineman for 2019. This gets said an awful lot, but I think it's especially true in this meeting — the winner will be who wins in the trenches. Auburn's best unit is arguably its defensive line. Oregon's best is likely its offensive line. There will be a case made at some point that this game will feature the best two units in the country, and that will make for some exceptional battles up front. If Oregon can protect Justin Herbert and provide room for its running backs to run, they're set up for success.

Question marks at linebacker

Auburn's only first-team All-SEC player in 2018 was linebacker Deshaun Davis. Davis led the team with 116 tackles. No other defender had more than 74. Davis, who now plays for the Cincinnati Bengals, isn't the only linebacker gone either. Darrell Williams, second on the team in tackles, is also gone, as is Montavious Atkinson — another important contributor. Because the team returns so much along the defensive line and in the secondary, linebacker is the greatest question mark for the defense. They're expected to turn to veterans K.J. Britt and Chandler Wooten to replace the two.

Pretty spot on and general. Our DL vs their OL should be an absolute war. The question will be how well our offense moves. A young qb couldn't ask for a better situation though with 5 returners on the OL, a plethora of receiving weapons, and a stout rb stable.

1 hour ago, dyehardfanAU said:

Should be a good audition for Cristobal to impress AD Greene.

Thought that was what Brohm was gonna do in the bowl game ?.....:)    

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

Thought that was what Brohm was gonna do in the bowl game ?.....:)    

Two completely different talent levels between Oregon and Purdue.  I still think Brohm will have major success in CFB but that was definitely a bad showing.

I haven't kept up with Oregon at all since we played them for all the marbles.  Do they have a solid defense to go along with their always decent offense?

Should be an interesting match up.  While not being blinded by the glorified scrimmage that is A-Day is a sure challenge for me personally, I do like the promise that Auburn has on both sides of the ball even when trying to remove the orange and blue glasses.  Hopefully, the coaching staff will not squander it this year.

Archived