Recruiting Buzz after Dead Period

aubiefifty

ellitor i hope this is not a rehash. i could not find the date and did not see this piece listed.

247sports.com

Recruiting Buzz: The dead period is over

ByKeith Niebuhr

The NCAA’s monthlong recruiting dead period ended Wednesday at midnight. But the break won’t last long. Another dead period begins Aug. 1 so college coaches can focus on getting their teams ready for the 2019 season and not on hosting prospects in the middle of camp.

What that means is this: During the next week, it will be a mad scramble to get recruits on campus at Auburn — and everywhere else.

The dead period that just ended began way back on June 24. Since then, colleges have not been able to host recruits. They have, however, been allowed to communicate with them via telephone, text, Twitter, etc. However, nothing beats face-to-face time when it comes to building bonds.

During the next week, Auburn is expected to host numerous recruits. A huge group will be in town Saturday and that will include some very big names. We’ll have a complete visitors list for the Auburn recruit picnic Friday afternoon. We also expect prospects at Auburn on Friday, Sunday and probably every other day through July 31.

Once things go “dead” again, it will be for the entire month of August. There is an exception for programs that have home games that month. However, Auburn’s first home game isn’t until Sept. 7.

For the Tigers, the dead period that just ended was anything but quiet.

In fact, the Tigers picked up three commitments in July, all from key recruits. Four-star receiver Ze’Vian Capers verbaled to the Tigers on July 1 and 4-star linebacker/top-100 recruit Wesley Steiner followed a day later. Monday, Kilian Zierer, the No. 1 junior college offensive tackle in the country, joined the commit list. Auburn now has 14 commitments and the No. 14 class ranking from 247Sports.

Here are some things we’ll be tracking during the next week …

-Will 4-star running back Tank Bigsby of Hogansville (Ga.) Callaway visit? The top-100 prospect was on campus four times (that we know of) in June, but Georgia is surging. According to our sources, Bigsby will visit again soon.

-Four-star Alabama running back commit Roydell Williams of Hueytown (Ala.) is expected to be on campus this weekend, as we reported a few days ago. What should we make of what would be his second trip to Auburn this summer?

-Will any young quarterbacks visit? Auburn is in the process of evaluating a bunch of 2021 signal callers. A few of them camped with the Tigers earlier this summer. We potentially could see some targets emerge here.

-The Tigers don’t yet have any defensive backs committed, so it will be interesting to see who shows up in the next week. We’ve been reporting for several weeks 4-star safety Ladarius Tennison of Rockledge (Fla.) will be at Auburn this weekend. If he shows, that would be huge as the Tigers are seen as being a major contender.

• ellitor changed the title to Recruiting Buzz Coming Out of the Dead Period

Anybody on commit watch this weekend? I would love to get a couple more verbals over the next couple weeks.

1 hour ago, toddc said:

Anybody on commit watch this weekend? I would love to get a couple more verbals over the next couple weeks.

Me. I'm going to commit to being your most favorite and least favorite AUF buddy. 

8 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Me. I'm going to commit to being your most favorite and least favorite AUF buddy. 

Too late...

If he’s for punting we’ll need one after next year I think-or 2021 anyway. Kicking may be two years off.

5 minutes ago, toddc said:

If he’s for punting we’ll need one after next year I think-or 2021 anyway. Kicking may be two years off.

I guess I was just thinking we start that next year, not this.   We usually do redshirt the first year so the can get that “year of development” first at the kicker position though.  

Carlson will be a senior by the time a kicker taken in this class would be past his redshirt year. Makes sense to take one now if he's the right guy. The right guy might not be available next year and a little overlap isn't bad. Gus might have one more trophy in his cabinet if we had a viable backup kicker in the 2013 national title game.

Archived