2021 5* PG Jerdarrian "JD" Davison

ellitor

9 hours ago, Tiger said:

If I had to guess staff is probably selling him on the idea that Cooper is a one and done

Don’t think so. I think we’re selling him an opportunity to play early and often in a combination between the two guard and playing some point.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply
55 minutes ago, ellitor said:

@TheCHF I haven’t seen anywhere where he expects or plans to be a PG only. Have you seen that anywhere? Also we are supposedly in the driver seat so that means we are doing something right in our sales pitch.

I have not seen anywhere that he plans to play point only. I was wondering myself.

2 hours ago, TheCHF said:

I have not seen anywhere that he plans to play point only. I was wondering myself.

Your statement on thinking it would hurt us if he played the two made it sound like you may have read somewhere that he wanted to be a point only.

2 hours ago, ellitor said:

Your statement on thinking it would hurt us if he played the two made it sound like you may have read somewhere that he wanted to be a point only.

Oh my bad. I could have worded it better for sure. 

1 hour ago, TheCHF said:

Oh my bad. I could have worded it better for sure. 

It's all good.

Ranking the Contenders: J.D. Davison

pto1psanjqzsi4drd9h2

One of the most explosive players in the class of 2021, JD Davison has monster potential on the next level.

A true high-flyer that has a crowd pleasing style, Davison is capable of playing anywhere in the country. However, his top 10 is very heavy on programs in the Southeast and is made up of Alabama, Arkansas, Auburn, Florida, Florida State, Georgia, Kansas, Louisville, LSU and Memphis.

While 10 programs still exist for Davison, a few appear to be rising to the top and today we rank the contenders to land his commitment.

1. AUBURN

It is looking more and more like Davison is going to be tough to pluck out of his home state so the stakes are high. But, if things ended today, we give the edge to Bruce Pearl and Auburn. The wide open style that the Tigers play and the freedom that their guards play makes them an outstanding fit for Davison. There isn't a ton of separation right now, but thought on the trail is that Auburn's message may be hitting a little closer to home giving them the edge.

SHARE YOU THOUGHTS WITH AUBURN FANS AT AUBURNSPORTS.COM

2. ALABAMA

Make no mistake, Nate Oats has introduced a very wide open style of play and he and his staff definitely give their guards lots of freedom. Seeing Kira Lewis flourish during his sophomore year hasn't hurt at all and the message is getting through. Bama winning out on this one wouldn't at all be a surprise and they've certainly been able to demonstrate that a fit is there.

SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS WITH ALABAMA FANS AT BAMAINSIDER.COM

3. KANSAS

The only out-of-region option to make Davison's final list, Kansas feels like they have a puncher's chance here. Bill Self and his staff have a pretty well established history of developing their point guards and they have been creative in finding ways to let guys make plays and surround them with finishers. They are selling blue blood status and experience.

SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS WITH KANSAS FANS AT JAYHAWKSLANT.COM

4. LSU

Anybody paying even the least bit of attention to college basketball and recruiting understands that Will Wade and LSU can't be written off. Alabama native Trendon Watford isn't a point guard, but he trusted Wade to get him minutes and touches and got what he is looking for. Every recruit gets promised things, but seeing coaches follow through on promises often holds weight.

SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS WITH LSU FANS AT TIGERDETAILS.COM

5. MEMPHIS

Davison is plenty familiar with Memphis and there's no denying the popularity of Penny Hardaway with today's players. He plays much different than any guard on the Tigers roster and could fit in their backcourt regardless of who is or isn't back in 2021-22. But, it does look like some ground will need to be made up in order to get Davison out of his home state.

A 2 man class of Jabari JR and JD would make me forgot all the heartbreak of the month of April for the class of 2020.

49 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

A 2 man class of Jabari JR and JD would make me forgot all the heartbreak of the month of April for the class of 2020.

No it wouldn't! But it would help! 😀

JD is comparable to Jalen, Jabari is in a weaker class at the top but he is rated about the same as Greg Brown, Joyful Hawkins is the type of Auburn big we like on this board where Sanogo wasn't...I think it's a pretty fair exchange

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/8/2020 at 10:35 PM, cole256 said:

I hate that bammer hired Nate Owens. He was their best case scenario and they got him.

I think they feel a bit more strongly about Auburn hiring Bruce, quite frankly.

On 8/8/2020 at 10:35 PM, cole256 said:

I hate that bammer hired Nate Owens. He was their best case scenario and they got him.

So they fired Nate Oats and hired Nate Owens?🙂

21 hours ago, Rednilla said:

I think they feel a bit more strongly about Auburn hiring Bruce, quite frankly.

at the time probably not.

but, and I dont want to speak for Cole, but Bama has been historically stronger with in-state players in bball, and Nate had a ton of connections in this state too . Alabama is starting to produce a steadier stream of really good guys and that should give them a leg up, I'd think. That's just my interpretation

I think Oats will be a good coach at bama. Question is will he take bama to where Bruce has gotten AU? The bama fans will not be happy for long if their program is consistently losing or failing behind AU in the SEC standings. So he has a lot of work to do. Avery had just as good signing classes as Bruce and could not translate that into success so you still got to coach em up when you get em. 

18 hours ago, gravejd said:

I think Oats will be a good coach at bama. Question is will he take bama to where Bruce has gotten AU? The bama fans will not be happy for long if their program is consistently losing or failing behind AU in the SEC standings. So he has a lot of work to do. Avery had just as good signing classes as Bruce and could not translate that into success so you still got to coach em up when you get em. 

Bruce is an Elite coach because he recruits well, Adjusting his system to his players, and coaches his players up.  Some coaches are great recruiters but only so so at improving their players or getting the most out of them. Some are so so recruiters but work well with players improves them and gets the most out of them. 

Add to that the Bruce personality and how it fires up the students and the rest of the fan base and Auburn is so lucky to have Bruce.

No clue if it will be an indication of a long term pick for JD but he left the AAU team he was on coached by Jared Harper's dad for a Nike sponsored AAU team.

5 minutes ago, ellitor said:

No clue if it will be an indication of a long term pick for JD but he left the AAU team he was on coached by Jared Harper's dad for a Nike sponsored AAU team.

Doesn’t sound like a good thing that’s for sure

4 hours ago, ellitor said:

there's still gonna be a huge group explaining that there's NO reason why you should want Auburn to switch to Nike...

5 hours ago, ellitor said:

Well there goes all those "leads" and good vibes we had for him. Nike wins again. Freaking hate Under Armour man.

16 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

Well there goes all those "leads" and good vibes we had for him. Nike wins again. Freaking hate Under Armour man.

Don't sugar coat it what do you really think of Under Armour.  LOL

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

That first throw down was EPIC!!!

5-star hoops target JD Davison trims list of contenders

By Keith Niebuhr

One of Auburn's top basketball recruiting targets for 2021 has released his top six and Auburn -- as expected -- made the cut.

J.D. Davison, a 6-feet-3, 175-pound standout at Letohatchee (Ala.) Calhoun, is the No. 1 recruit in the state of Alabama, No. 2 point guard and No. 12 overall prospect nationally in the industry generated 247Sports Composite. 247Sports ranks him No. 1 at point guard.

Also making the cut are: Alabama, Kansas, LSU, Memphis and Michigan.

One could make a case for Davison being one of the top two or three overall players on the Auburn board for the 2021 recruiting class. Wes Flanigan is his lead recruiter for the Tigers.

On June 25, Davison released a top 10 of Auburn, Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Florida State, Georgia, Kansas, Louisville, LSU and Memphis.

Earlier this year, Davison was in Auburn to watch the Tigers face Kentucky.

“It was a very good environment,” Davison told Auburn Undercover at the time. “Auburn playing Kentucky and seeing all of the fans get involved. It was great. The fans and how they came through -- that stood out to me and also how the players played off the fans.”

Davison said he continued to see Pearl’s program on the rise.

“It’s very big,” he said of Auburn’s success on the court. “For an in-state college to make a run like that and continue that run into the next season is very good. It was a good experience.”

Here is video of Davison in action last season ...

Archived