2020 4* Juco CB Marco Domio Commits to AU!

ellitor

Just now, ellitor said:

CB. The only one I've heard of at Safety was CTJ. In fact, one of the reasons we beat LSU for Domio is he wants to play CB. They were recruiting him at Safety.

Sadly...thats what I thought.

Great pickup we need DB's and he is a really good one. Welcome aboard and War Eagle.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Every time we get a commit & you post this I get the below song stuck in my head. You're welcome everyone else for the torture of it now being stuck in your heads...

Thanks a lot @ellitor ! You’re right, and I might have to change my 💥 because now I’ll be reminded every time. 😝 

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

13 out of 40 from the highlights in the OP is not most. Granted it is high than usual.

No I’m talking about where the ball was even thrown in his direction. Quite a few of his highlights the ball wasn’t even thrown to him it was just him covering. Other than that pick 6 and a few in game pbu’s, his real highlights were from practice 

Si, io sono Marco Domio!

Also, add Tennison and any two of Dennis, Pouncey, and George. That's a GREAT class.

Edited by mcgufcm
  • Like 3

Dang, that's a nice play!!  It would belong in an NFL all-Pro highlight reel.

Edited by Cardin Drake

• ellitor featured and unpinned this topic
  • 4 months later...
1 hour ago, Sizzle said:

He won’t be an early enrollee

Nope. Keith said they had some bad info or miscommunicated.

4 (and possibly more coming on the DL) JUCOs and not one participating in spring ball. Shaking my head. 

10 hours ago, ellitor said:

Nope. Keith said they had some bad info or miscommunicated.

Sounds like they have all of the qualities required to be on our coaching staff

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 5 weeks later...

Heard Keith Niebuhr say in a podcast with Marcello and read in an article that Domio has some classroom work to do. Hopefully he will buckle down and do what is necessary and be on campus this summer.

Edited by Paladin

• 4 weeks later...

Marco Domio’s journey to Auburn ‘not the traditional one’

Today 8:40 AM

By Giana Han

On his very first carry in his very first game, four-year-old Marco Domio took the football all the way for a touchdown. But Domio didn’t stop there. He kept running, through the end zone and straight into the crowd, searching for his mother.

“He just ran off the field and came looking for me and gave me a big hug,” Tina Domio said. “He was just really, really excited about his first touchdown.”

Tina laughs when she remembers those days, when the now 6-foot-2 Marco was the “runt of the litter” and had to rely on his quickness and the “mean stiff arm” he became known for. Even then, they both knew football was in his future, but neither anticipated the challenges he’d face before signing with Auburn.

“His journey was not the traditional one,” Tina said. “He's had his ups and downs.”

Football was a part of Marco’s life from a very early age. That touchdown is his earliest memory, but his mother said that was just the first time he officially played football. Football ran in the Domio family — his brother, Mark Jr., played, his father, Mark Sr. coached and Tina was a team mom who watched games from the sidelines. From the very beginning, Marco played just about every position because his father thought it’d help his versatility. Marco eventually fell in love with the cornerback position.

Off the field, Marco was always calm, cool and collected, Tina said — but funny. On the field, his alter ego came out. He was aggressive, intense and focused, pushed along by his brother. Marco was always Mark Jr.’s little shadow. The two competed against each other, but Marco looked up to him in many ways.

Marco’s hard work and competitive nature was paying off on the field, but when he got to high school, things took a turn. Marco broke his elbow his freshman year and took most of the season to recover.

The next year, Hurricane Harvey hit and devastated the Domios’ hometown of Humble, Texas. The Domios’ house was among the estimated 135,000 destroyed, and they had to live with family members. When they finally got their own place, they didn’t go back to Humble because they wanted to stay near the school Marco ended up at. They returned after his graduation.

Although he seemed to take it all in stride, Tina knew the relocation process would probably take a toll, especially with Marco’s recruiting. Heights High School, where Marco ended up, seemed dedicated to helping get Marco’s name out there but, despite their best efforts and Marco’s hard work on the field, he only received offers from small schools and junior colleges. They decided to go the junior college route and hope it would get him more opportunities.

Marco chose Blinn College because of the proximity to home, because his brother went there, because the coach was dedicated to helping him and because Heisman winner Cam Newton went there. However, the experience was “definitely not for the weak,” he said.

“You have to be ready to bust your tail day in and day out,” Marco said.

Although it didn’t show in the way he played, Tina could tell that the lack of offers shook Marco a little bit. His father made sure to remind him he’s the best and he needs to keep playing like it, and Marco said his family helped him keep his head straight.

“They have been my motivation since day one,” Marco said. “I have never seen anyone work harder than my parents. I want to be able to tell my parents they don’t have to work anymore.”

Marco’s time in junior college allowed him to polish up his skills at cornerback. He had only truly played the position for a year, so he had a lot of technique to learn. In his first season at Blinn, he played 11 games and made 21 tackles with an interception. The next year, he made 26 tackles in eight games.

Schools took notice. Marco received 19 offers, including ones from LSU and Alabama. 247Sports ranked him the No. 7 recruit out of junior college and the No. 3 best cornerback.

“It was a very surreal feeling,” Marco said. “It took a minute to sink in really. I really believe that it was supposed to happen in high school, but I just waited my time.”

In June, Marco and his parents visited LSU. The visit went so well that one of the LSU coaches didn’t understand why Marco was still planning to visit Auburn. She and her husband left it up to Marco, who was adamant they go to Auburn, so they made the 10-hour drive.

As soon as Marco stepped on Auburn ground, he knew it was the right place for him. His parents felt it, too. On top of the dedication they saw from former defensive backs coach Marcus Woodson, they were also impressed with the comfort levels they had with defensive coordinator Kevin Steele and head coach Gus Malzahn.

Two other people outside the coaching staff played a key role in Marco’s final decision — Kristi Malzahn and former Auburn safety Daniel Thomas. Tina remembers how funny Kristi was and how she was able to put Marco at ease. That comfort she created was “really a defining factor.”

Thomas was the most “perfect person” Auburn could have chosen for Marco’s host. Like Marco and his family, Thomas is a spiritual person as well as a hard worker. Work ethic is something Marco admires, and he saw Thomas’ first-hand when Thomas invited Marco to join him for a late-night workout. It’s what Marco remembers the most from the trip.

After that visit, Marco had no true desire to consider other schools. He committed on August 3, attended the Iron Bowl and then signed in December.

Now, he’s looking forward to hitting the weight room and to playing Texas A&M where he’ll get to face his childhood friend Kenyon Green. His mom is excited to experience an Iron Bowl while her son’s on the team, and she’s excited for him to play the sport he loves at the next level.

Auburn should be excited, too. After all, his mom thinks the team is getting “the best of the best.” Marco promises the Auburn community he’s going to give it everything he’s got, and he’s ready to arrive on campus in the summer.

“I really can’t believe (it’s almost here),” Marco said. “But once I step on campus — it’s on.”

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

On 2/6/2020 at 10:14 AM, Paladin said:

Heard Keith Niebuhr say in a podcast with Marcello and read in an article that Domio has some classroom work to do. Hopefully he will buckle down and do what is necessary and be on campus this summer.

This is worrisome. JUCO players that are there for two seasons know what has to be done, and when. Most try to graduate in time to participate in their four-year school's spring practice.. The above writeup sounds great, but there shouldn't be classroom worries at this point.

Edited by Mikey
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

This is worrisome. JUCO players that are there for two seasons know what has to be done, and when. Most try to graduate in time to participate in their four-year school's spring practice.. The above writeup sounds great, but there shouldn't be classroom worries at this point.

I cant remember the last time we signed this many JUCOs and none of them participated in spring ball. Shouldn’t be happening at a school like AU.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...