Video Review Approved for 2020 Softball

And I say about time.  Some limitations:  coaches get two challenges per game, and umpires may initiate a review from the 6th inning on.  Details here:  https://www.softballamerica.com/stories/ncaa-playing-rules-oversight-panel-approves-video-review/

pasting the article helps..

The NCAA Playing Rules Oversight Panel approved video review along with components to the pitching position and bat testing on Wednesday.

Conferences are allowed to experiment with video review in regular-season conference games and conference tournaments. Coaches will be allowed two video challenges per game.

According to the NCAA, “A challenge must be initiated verbally or visually before the next pitch; before the pitcher and all infielders have clearly vacated their normal fielding position and left fair territory; or before the umpires have left the field of play.”

Umpires will be allowed to initiate a video review from the sixth inning on.

The following plays are reviewable:

• Deciding whether a batted ball called fair is fair or foul.
• Deciding whether a batted ball called a ground-rule double or home run is fair or foul.
• Deciding whether a batted ball called foul that could result in a ground-rule double or home run is fair or foul.
• Spectator interference.
• Deciding scoring plays at home plate inclusive of collisions (illegal and/or malicious slides), obstruction by a defensive player or timing plays.
• Force/tag play calls: Plays involving all runners acquiring the base before the defensive player’s attempt to put the runner out at any base.
• Hit-by-pitch calls: Plays for which there is a possibility that a pitched ball touches a batter or her clothing, which shall incorporate a review on whether the batter is inside or outside the batter’s box if it is determined upon review that a pitched ball has touched a batter or her clothing.
• Placement of runners: An umpire’s placement of all runners (per the rules/case book) after any blocked ball call.
• With runners on base, a no-catch call can be changed to a catch only if it results in a third out. With no runners on base, a no-catch call can be changed to a catch at any time.

Pitching Changes

So many pitchers receive their signals by looking at their armband, the committee felt that pitchers weren’t pausing after stepping onto the rubber.

For the 2020 season, the pitcher may take the signal with her stride foot on or behind the rubber as far back as she wants. The pitcher must also take or appear to take the signal while in the pitching and signal-taking positions.
The NCAA describes the pitching position as, “When she has her hands apart, her pivot foot in contact with the pitcher’s plate, both feet on the ground within the 24-inch length of the pitcher’s plate and her hips in line with first and third bases, and the catcher is in position to receive the pitch.”

Bat Testing

Barrel compression testing will be required in Division I by Jan. 1, 2021 and in Division II by Jan. 1, 2022. Bat testing will be conducted before the start of each game, doubleheader, series or tournament.
The school will be required to purchase the machine which costs around $875.

2 hours ago, WarTiger said:

pasting the article helps..

This. Please help us mods out when you can.

Evidently I'm missing something.  Please explain how it helps to paste the entire article, and I will start doing it.  I've always preferred to post only the link, as it takes less space.  Easy enough to click the link if you're interested; if not, it results in less "empty space" to scroll through.  There must be a priority or objective I'm not aware of.  Thanks. 

45 minutes ago, OlderWhiskey said:

Evidently I'm missing something.  Please explain how it helps to paste the entire article, and I will start doing it.  I've always preferred to post only the link, as it takes less space.  Easy enough to click the link if you're interested; if not, it results in less "empty space" to scroll through.  There must be a priority or objective I'm not aware of.  Thanks. 

🍿🍺

1 hour ago, OlderWhiskey said:

I would agree.  If you put a brief headline or summary of the article and provide a link that should be adequate to stimulate anyone who is interested to click on said link.

1 hour ago, OlderWhiskey said:

It's not a board rule like I thought but it has been stated many times by Mods to post articles whenever possible. It helps us in that we don't have to follow up & do it if the original poster didn't.

On 7/27/2019 at 9:18 AM, WarTiger said:

For the 2020 season, the pitcher may take the signal with her stride foot on or behind the rubber as far back as she wants. The pitcher must also take or appear to take the signal while in the pitching and signal-taking positions.
The NCAA describes the pitching position as, “When she has her hands apart, her pivot foot in contact with the pitcher’s plate, both feet on the ground within the 24-inch length of the pitcher’s plate and her hips in line with first and third bases, and the catcher is in position to receive the pitch.”

Someone educate me about this rule. The way I read it, the pitcher can take the signal with her stride foot behind the rubber as far back as she wants, but must also be in the pitching position ( pivot foot in contact with the pitchers plate). ????????

17 hours ago, OlderWhiskey said:

Posting the entire article HELPS but not necessary.  However, posting a portion of it and then providing the link to read the rest is extremely beneficial.  The main reason is people often try to get creative with their thread titles (which is annoying) and the article has absolutely nothing to do with their title.  There are also times posters create a thread and put a link all by itself with no summary of any kind.   Posting AT LEAST a portion of the article would allow posters to get the subject of the article to see if its something they want to read.    I'm an advocate of posting the entire article to save everybody time and make it a one stop shop.  There are a lot of posters here that prefer not to visit certain sites (thinking al.com) and posting the article allows them to read it without giving the site any clicks (which is often all a site like al.com wants).     If everybody that posts a link to the article would include at least a portion of it,  it would likely help with the discussion as well.    

If I visit a thread and there's only a link to an article there, or even with a tiny summary, I'm not wasting my time clicking on it, only to find out It wasn't about what it was percieved to be by the poster.     

SO...just scanned the changes.....question for WT or SC....how will this affect the game from a spectator standpoint and will we even notice the rule changes other than re-play ?   I'd like a  better application of the blocking the plate rule...not just the review, but the rule itself. 

19 hours ago, OlderWhiskey said:

For me, I appreciate the text of al dot com articles being posted ... because rarely if ever do I want to give those scumbags any internet traffic.

Soooo, HBP can be reviewed, but whether a slapper's foot was outside the box on contact still cannot.   Glad we got "spectator interference" covered (I cannot think of a single instance of this Ive seen in years on end), but not the oft-disputed play we see almost every game.

Nice going, NCAA.  Up to your usual standard, I see.

Archived