This defense has to be dominant

gr82b4au

Our defense has played better the last few years and last year they kept us in games while the offense sputtered. Granted there were WTH games like MS State and TN that were terrible, but for the most part the defense has really played well. 

This year - we need them to be even better. We need them to dominate. Like the Auburn team of 2004, or the AU teams 1980's- DOMINATE. Like some of the Lsu/Alabama teams of the past decade. Top 5 in the country good (or better). Our defense, especially the front 7, will have to carry us early this year when the offense is trying to work things out.

Our offense is a huge question mark this year. New freshmen QBs, new leading WRs, RBs that are new or are still learning, and an OL that has experience but if we are honest they struggled at times last year. We could be amazing. We could be terrible. Chances are good we will be somewhere in between while they learn on the go. 

And while they learn, we need the defense take over games. We need the D to come up with sacks, turnovers, and 3-outs in mass. We need to be able to win 17-10 type games and 13-10 type games. We need to be feared. We need to be mean. I think we have the talent and coaching on that side of the ball. 

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think even with a dominant defense in today's spread fast paced Offenses you will see to many low scoring games. I agree D needs to dominate especially on Turn Overs giving O short field.  RB's are not new  all last years RB's are back and we have some new studs I am not worried about them.  Even though we lost some very Good WR's we have two very good WR's returning from Injury and a bunch of young ones who grew up last year so I am not worried about WR. New QB's I am worried until they show it in real games and O-Line should be good but after last year I am still in a wait and see on them.  

It’ll be great if they do dominate but there’s question marks on defense too. We have all new starting LB’s. They’re talented but still new to the starting positions. Also there’s still some nagging injuries to a couple of our DT’s. So we still have DT questions as well

1 hour ago, AuburnNTexas said:

I don't think even with a dominant defense in today's spread fast paced Offenses you will see to many low scoring games. I agree D needs to dominate especially on Turn Overs giving O short field.  RB's are not new  all last years RB's are back and we have some new studs I am not worried about them.  Even though we lost some very Good WR's we have two very good WR's returning from Injury and a bunch of young ones who grew up last year so I am not worried about WR. New QB's I am worried until they show it in real games and O-Line should be good but after last year I am still in a wait and see on them.  

Yup! Even Bama doesn't expect to win games at a 17-10 clip anymore & they still have great Ds. Also if we get back to pace as it's being talked about there won't be many low scoring games available.

Do we even have a true quick twitch edge rusher on the roster? I thought Big Kat was going to that guy, but now I'm not sure what to think. Neither he or Moultry seem to be as consistent as needed and I'm not sure Moultrys even z true edge guy. 

3 minutes ago, twilli13 said:

Do we even have a true quick twitch edge rusher on the roster? I thought Big Kat was going to that guy, but now I'm not sure what to think. Neither he or Moultry seem to be as consistent as needed and I'm not sure Moultrys even z true edge guy. 

If they develop yes but they have to develop.

There are things like better gap integrity, being able to play better one on one than they did last year, something they did a lot better job of in 2017. However, if the offense does what they’re supposed to do, I think the D will be in good position for a great year.

Just wanted to thank everyone for knowing the difference between the verb and adjective forms of the main word in the OP and when to use each.

Carry on.

#dominateisaverb #dominantisanadjective

If the offense gets close to 2013 or 2014 then a top 30 defense may work.  A top 15 D with a potent Gus offense would make Auburn a dominate team.  How good was the 2010 defense?  I know they were statistically the worst defense for a national champion.  If Gus can put it all together then Clemson and Bama May be the only team that can keep up.

46 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Just wanted to thank everyone for knowing the difference between the verb and adjective forms of the main word in the OP and when to use each.

Carry on.

tenor.gif

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

Carry on.

giphy.gif

3 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

I don't think even with a dominant defense in today's spread fast paced Offenses you will see to many low scoring games.

Maybe not, but I watched Clemson’s dominant defense completely manhandle the unstoppable uat offense last year. How many points did Alabama score in the championship game? 

I want a defense like that. And we should have that this year, right? I mean - no excuses for this defense. They need to kick butt and take names. They are the strength of this team. 

27 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Not necessarily. The Duck D is that horrid & aTm D that young.

Man I hope you are correct, but I think the offense will struggle the opening game a little. There are a lot of new faces in the biggest opening game of the season. Nerves and such. 

I would love it if we scored a ton, but I see a defensive struggle. 

47 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

I see a defensive struggle

If that's the case we are in for a long season.

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

If that's the case we are in for a long season.

Not if we have the dominant defense Clemson had last year. They struggled in a few games last year (almost lost a few) but their defense always held in the end. 

And before anyone says anything...  No - I do not think we are a Clemson or even close this year (never thought I would say that haha),  but I do think our defense should be just as good. Why not? 

2 hours ago, gr82b4au said:

Maybe not, but I watched Clemson’s dominant defense completely manhandle the unstoppable uat offense last year. How many points did Alabama score in the championship game? 

I want a defense like that. And we should have that this year, right? I mean - no excuses for this defense. They need to kick butt and take names. They are the strength of this team. 

For the record, as much as I hate Bama, Clemson's D didn't manhandle them in the title game.  Bama racked up 443 yards of offense.  They just made too many dumb mistakes and the two turnovers killed them, especially the pick 6.  Bama's first three 2nd half drives ended on downs after going for at least 8 plays.  They were trying to play catch up and were forced to go for the end zone, where to Clemson's credit the D bowed up and kept them out.

Kind of like our loss in Tuscaloosa in 2014.  We went up and down the field on them, but shot ourselves in the foot too many times.

But I agree with your overall point about Clemson's D.  Pretty nasty last season, especially on the line.

48 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

Not if we have the dominant defense Clemson had last year. They struggled in a few games last year (almost lost a few) but their defense always held in the end. 

And before anyone says anything...  No - I do not think we are a Clemson or even close this year (never thought I would say that haha),  but I do think our defense should be just as good. Why not? 

The SEC is much better than the ACC. A top 5-top 10 D alone ain't going to get it done in the SEC. As noted earlier. Even the best Ds give up points in today's college football.

3 hours ago, gr82b4au said:

Clemson’s DL last season was legendary. Perhaps the greatest starting 4 to ever play the game. I love our DL, but we don’t hold a candle to that unit. 

Their LBs were solid. Our’s are new. 

Their secondary was solid. Their CB who went in the 2nd round was one of the best. Our secondary has potential.

We have a long ways to go in 2019 to have 4 guys on defense drafted in the first 2 rounds and a 5th guy in the 4th round. 

This defense has to be dominant

Sadly, our defensive personnel last season was was just as good as this year's, yet dominate they did not. We will miss those three senior linebackers. I'd love it if the defense dominates this season, but "fully adequate in 12 regular season games" would be a big step up.

People are going to come to a thread with dominant defense in the title then read what's in the thread & go...

giphy.gif

JMO but the defense must be "consistent".....dominant would be nice but not sure that's gonna happen with modern offenses....but what drives me nuts is not getting off the field on third and long....over and over.     We seem to play dominant defense inside our own twenty most games but between the 20s, we are inclined to play soft and allow teams to string together long drives....which often means when we finally stop a drive, our offense gets the ball deep in AU territory.   

I'm hoping for more 3 and outs following a kick-off or punt.   JMO 

4 minutes ago, ellitor said:

People are going to come to a thread with dominant defense in the title then read what's in the thread & go...

giphy.gif

Fair. 

Archived