Sign in to follow this  
Auburn Kev

Pearl Addresses NCAA Concerns

Recommended Posts

Quote

Bruce Pearl: We’re ‘not finished’ with NCAA penalties

Auburn head coach Bruce Pearl said on Monday that his program has been dealing with NCAA penalties that haven’t been made public.

The significant comments were made on Jon Rothstein’s podcast, where Pearl was a guest for 30 minutes, speaking on a myriad of topics.

“We took some real strong penalties, a lot of which have never been made public — at some point will be.” Pearl said.

An Auburn spokesman said he didn’t know what Pearl was referring to regarding those sanctions.

Auburn already has dealt with season-long suspensions to center Austin Wiley and forward Danjel Purifoy, both of whom accepted money from former assistant coach Chuck Person, against NCAA bylaws.

In addition, Pearl was asked if he’s anticipating additional sanctions.

“I am anticipating that we are not finished completely,” Pearl said. “I am anticipating because we have gotten through a lot of things with the NCAA, obviously with the federal government, that case is closed. But I would [anticipate] that we would have to finish some things up. I do feel like the worst is behind us.”

“I know what I know, and I know what I didn’t know. The compliance we have in this program, I’m actually pretty proud of it. ... I’m very, very confident of the status of our program moving forward.”

Also of note:

• Auburn said that assistant coach Ira Bowman didn’t know about the illegal bribery scheme going on at the University of Pennsylvania. Former Penn head coach Jerome Allen testified that he brought his former assistant, Bowman, into a scheme in which a father paid them to give their son a spot on the basketball roster.

“We’re very, very glad that Ira Bowman only missed about a month and a half,” Pearl said of Bowman’s 80-day suspension. "while he was kind of waiting on our looking into things that happened at Penn three years ago. It wasn’t like anything that had happened at Auburn. And Ira Bowman is a first-class top assistant, whose character is impeccable, and I’m glad, I appreciate the patience that was shown to kind of get through — he didn’t have any knowledge of what was going on in that situation with his head coach.

• Pearl said he was happy that “Coach Person" didn’t receive jail time for his role in a separate illegal bribery scheme that involved Wiley and Purifoy, along with their families.

“I’m glad he didn’t have to go to jail about this,” Pearl said.

 

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites




We need to return Person's jersey to him. It's getting all dusty hanging in the rafters. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Quote

 

Pearl believes Auburn is not finished with NCAA sanctions, but that worst is behind program

Auburn men’s basketball head coach Bruce Pearl says he anticipates that his program is not done with NCAA sanctions just yet, but that he thinks the worst is already behind the team, he revealed Monday in a podcast interview with CBS Sports and Sports Illustrated reporter Jon Rothstein.

Pearl also claimed that his assistant coach Ira Bowman did not have any knowledge of what was happening with former Penn head coach Jerome Allen during Bowman’s tenure under him — and that Pearl’s relieved his former assistant Chuck Person didn’t have to go to prison after he pleaded guilty to a bribery conspiracy charge in federal court.

He also said Auburn has been placed under NCAA restrictions that haven’t been revealed publicly yet.

Pearl spoke with Rothstein on the latter’s College Hoops Today podcast posted online Monday.

Auburn’s rising senior center Austin Wiley sat out the 2017-18 season while fellow rising senior at forward Danjel Purifoy sat out the same year plus nine games of last season, as part of NCAA sanctions laid down when it was revealed that Person accepted thousands of dollars in bribes to steer those players as potential NBA talents to a financial adviser.

Person was sentenced to time served and two years of supervision earlier this month, at the conclusion of proceedings that saw Auburn University file a victim impact statement with the court stating that the program expects more sanctions from the NCAA in the wake of the damage done by Person accepting money to try to sway players to said financial adviser on their way into the pro ranks.

Pearl echoed that on Monday’s podcast, saying, “I am anticipating that we are not finished completely.”

However, he said: “I do feel like the worst is behind us.”

Rothstein’s interview with Pearl was posted to Soundcloud on Monday afternoon. An Auburn spokesman said Pearl would not add anything further beyond what he said on the show.

“I know the compliance that we have in this program — I’m actually pretty proud of it,” he said on the podcast. “I think a lot of the things that we did are examples of how you should do things when you’re faced with these situations.

“I’m very, very confident of the status of our program moving forward.”

Bowman was not on the bench during Auburn’s postseason run in the spring, after he was named by former Penn head coach Jerome Allen to have played part in a bribe scheme at Penn back when Bowman was an assistant there. Per a report at the time from Law360.com, Allen said in court testimony on March 8 that a Miami executive was paying Allen to help his son get admitted into Penn by way of being a basketball recruit, and that after Allen was fired but before the player made it to campus, a bank account was set up to which the parent could wire money and from which Bowman could withdraw money.

This was before Allen left Penn in 2015. Bowman stayed at Penn until the summer of 2018, when he was hired to coach at Auburn.

“We’re very, very glad that Ira Bowman only missed about a month and a half while he was kind of waiting on, or kind of looking into, things that happened at Penn three years ago. You know what I mean? It wasn’t like it was anything that happened at Auburn,” Pearl said on the podcast. “And Ira Bowman is a first-class, top assistant whose character is impeccable, and I’m glad — I appreciate the patience that was shown to kind of get through — He didn’t have any knowledge of what was going on in that situation with his head coach.”

As for Person’s sentencing, Pearl simply spoke in a grave tone when mentioning the reality of prison. He didn’t say whether he and Person are close or speaking.

“As a colleague, as a friend, someone that I worked with for a few years, I’m glad that he didn’t have to go to jail about this. You know, Book Richardson is in jail right now, Jon, and that’s just for all of us in this coaching profession, that’s sad,” he said, referencing the former Arizona assistant who was sentenced to three months in prison in June.

“At the same time, we made mistakes. … It’s my job to protect my players and protect their eligibilities and do the best I possibly can to have the right compliance in place and the right controls,” Pearl said on the podcast. “You do everything you can possibly do. Sometimes mistakes happen.

“We took some real strong penalties, a lot of which have never been made public and at some point will be,” he added. “When our players’ eligibility was in question, we sat them until we could get their eligibility cleared. That was not the way everybody did it but that was the way we felt like we should do it, and hopefully many of those decisions will serve us well as we navigate this future.”

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pearl audio interview. Starts at 2:45 mark. Addresses NCAA issues a bit after the 22 minute mark. Also when the embed displays a download the app add click anywhere on the app except the "download the app" box to get back to remove the ad.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A few weeks ago, Bruce says they're expecting an Notice of Allegations.  Now he says the worst is behind AU. 

Bruce says AU is dealing with non-public penalties and an AU spokesman says, "Huh?"

Can someone over there please tell us what in the wide world of sports is going on?  The spokesman should maybe just say "No comment" instead of further confusing this issue.  These non-public punishments can't be anything big like "no post season play" and such, otherwise they'd have to disclose such to potential recruits and that wouldn't take long to get out. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Woodstock Tiger said:

A few weeks ago, Bruce says they're expecting an Notice of Allegations.  Now he says the worst is behind AU. 

Bruce says AU is dealing with non-public penalties and an AU spokesman says, "Huh?"

Can someone over there please tell us what in the wide world of sports is going on?  The spokesman should maybe just say "No comment" instead of further confusing this issue.  These non-public punishments can't be anything big like "no post season play" and such, otherwise they'd have to disclose such to potential recruits and that wouldn't take long to get out. 

I know how you feel... The whole article left me w/ a very confusing feeling...

sanctions not made public that we don't know about...

Auburn spokesman disagrees w/ Pearl's comments...

Pearl says the worst is past us...but there is still unfinished business w/ NCAA...

:gofig:

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Woodstock Tiger said:

A few weeks ago, Bruce says they're expecting an Notice of Allegations.  Now he says the worst is behind AU. 

Bruce says AU is dealing with non-public penalties and an AU spokesman says, "Huh?"

Can someone over there please tell us what in the wide world of sports is going on?  The spokesman should maybe just say "No comment" instead of further confusing this issue.  These non-public punishments can't be anything big like "no post season play" and such, otherwise they'd have to disclose such to potential recruits and that wouldn't take long to get out. 

Bruce didn't say they were expecting a Notice of Allegations. That was in the Victim Statement. The language in the Victim Statement is unsurprisingly different from what a head coach would say on the radio. The Victim Statement is intended to paint a dark picture of what could happen, not necessary what is expected to happne.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, AUTigersfan89 said:

Bruce didn't say they were expecting a Notice of Allegations. That was in the Victim Statement. The language in the Victim Statement is unsurprisingly different from what a head coach would say on the radio. The Victim Statement is intended to paint a dark picture of what could happen, not necessary what is expected to happne.

Ah, yeah, I forgot he didn't actually make that statement on expecting the NOA.  Just tired of the whole thing hanging out there.  Let's do this thing and move on.  Rip the bandaid off, do what they gotta do and move on to some other school. 

I did notice he didn't explicitly say he was expecting NEW punishments, just that they "weren't finished" (which seems to be referring to the notion that they aren't finished with the existing "private" NCAA punishments rather than  it meaning they're "not finished with the NCAA leveling more charges/punishments").  

Edited by Woodstock Tiger

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a follow-up question to the article and what we now know...

What ARE the other sanctions that were not made public?

And why are those sanctions not REQUIRED to be made public?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

I have a follow-up question to the article and what we now know...

What ARE the other sanctions that were not made public?

And why are those sanctions not REQUIRED to be made public?

I presume they had to be secondary violations.  Perhaps they're "double secret probation" penalties??  It's just something I've never heard a coach say.  

http://www.ncaa.org/enforcement/enforcement-process-penalties

In some cases, the committee determines that insufficient evidence exists to support the finding of a major violation. When that happens, a case is essentially “thrown out.” In such cases, the committee sometimes has decided that a school committed a secondary violation, not a major one. In that event, the case is sent to the secondary-violations wing  of the enforcement staff for processing. In both instances, no infractions report is issued and the committee issues no penalties (although institutions may be subject to minor penalties for the secondary violations).   

Edited by Woodstock Tiger
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Woodstock Tiger said:

Just tired of the whole thing hanging out there.  Let's do this thing and move on.  Rip the bandaid off, do what they gotta do and move on to some other school. 

Me too. I think it's ridiculous that back in June, and rep from the NCAA said two schools would receive their NOA's in early-July—well, here we are in nearly August, and there's nothing from them.

The NCAA is just a poorly run organization, and it's a shame that they have a monopoly on college athletics.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Woodstock Tiger said:

I presume they had to be secondary violations.  Perhaps they're "double secret probation" penalties??  It's just something I've never heard a coach say.  

http://www.ncaa.org/enforcement/enforcement-process-penalties

In some cases, the committee determines that insufficient evidence exists to support the finding of a major violation. When that happens, a case is essentially “thrown out.” In such cases, the committee sometimes has decided that a school committed a secondary violation, not a major one. In that event, the case is sent to the secondary-violations wing  of the enforcement staff for processing. In both instances, no infractions report is issued and the committee issues no penalties (although institutions may be subject to minor penalties for the secondary violations).   

I could potentially see this being the case. That's a good find on your part.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The NCAA is corrupt and under Emmert it has become very weak. They definitely do not have the interests of the student athletes as their paramount mission. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Tigerbelle said:

The NCAA is corrupt and under Emmert it has become very weak. They definitely do not have the interests of the student athletes as their paramount mission. 

When have they ever? Remember the OU QB who was kicked off the team for working at a car dealership? The NCAA has been a joke for a long time

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, steeleagle said:

I have a follow-up question to the article and what we now know...

What ARE the other sanctions that were not made public?

And why are those sanctions not REQUIRED to be made public?

Good points...but could be something like travel or recruiting contact restrictions.....which are pretty common penalties.....but not sure why or how they could be kept secret:dunno:    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Tigerbelle said:

interests of the student athletes as their paramount mission. 

I think their primary mission is to keep the athletic process more or less honest and make sure the schools follow the established rule of competition.    Guess they are like the highway patrol......speed limits are posted but they sure can't and don't stop everyone who is in violation.  But, but mostly the threat of being stopped is enough to cause people to generally obey the law and the HP will get those who grossly and flagrantly violate the law. .

JMO but schools have to look out for the interests of students....impossible for some bureaucratic organization like the NCAA to do that.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As far as any restrictions not made public yet I guess I'm off on an island by myself. If and when they must disclose they will. Until then I guess I just don't care. Auburn did as much if not more than any other school seems to have done to address these issues head on. I just don't think there's a whole lot to be concerned about. Pearl said the worst is behind us. I'm good with that analysis. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, AU64 said:

Good points...but could be something like travel or recruiting contact restrictions.....which are pretty common penalties.....but not sure why or how they could be kept secret:dunno:    

Perhaps it’s a plea deal of sorts. “We’ll accept these punishments, as long as they don’t hurt Auburn in the public eye” kinda thing. Or I could just be naive. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some are saying it's possible Bruce will have to serve a short suspension due to a possible Head Coach Responsibility charge.  I hope Chuck Person never sets foot on the AU campus again.  His selfishness has caused unnecessary baggage and it wasn't even for the betterment of the program, it was for the betterment of Chuck Person.

Edited by dyehardfanAU

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, AU64 said:

I think their primary mission is to keep the athletic process more or less honest and make sure the schools follow the established rule of competition.    Guess they are like the highway patrol......speed limits are posted but they sure can't and don't stop everyone who is in violation.  But, but mostly the threat of being stopped is enough to cause people to generally obey the law and the HP will get those who grossly and flagrantly violate the law. .

JMO but schools have to look out for the interests of students....impossible for some bureaucratic organization like the NCAA to do that.

The NCAA says that their job is to do what's in the best interest of student athletes, and keeping the process honest is supposed to help all student athletes..  That's why the NCAA exists. But it has been corrupted by money and special interests, and has become a joke under Emmert's leadership.

What they really do is protect the big money makers in college sports. The NCAA is about the massive amount of money in college sports today. They had to be shamed by a college basketball (IIRC) player who said in an interview that he often went to bed hungry because he had no money and it was against NCAA regulations for him to get more food.....before they would allow schools to give the kids adequate meals and snacks. It's not like it was ever a secret that many athletes come from poverty-stricken homes.....

If you think the NCAA has any interest in fairly applying sanctions across the board you are sadly mistaken. It lost it's focus and purpose years ago.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Tigerbelle said:

The NCAA says that their job is to do what's in the best interest of student athletes, and keeping the p...........

If you think the NCAA has any interest in fairly applying sanctions across the board you are sadly mistaken. It lost it's focus and purpose years ago.

Somewhat disagree...but not surprised....typical governmental bureaucracy that wants to do right but is too unwieldy and inefficient.....does what is easy like most big government operations.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He's probably referencing how the NCAA didn't want a team named in the FBI scandal to be in the championship game or win the national championship so the NCAA jobbed us

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this