Offensive Production & WR Use

ellitor

10 hours ago, McLoofus said:

And the thing is, we do know how to use him. Gus is just choosing not to. If I had to guess, Gus probably just isn't happy with his blocking. So sick of it. 

What happened to coaching up wr's and they are good at everything to do anything? Pitiful that we are still doing the this guy is the possession guy and this guy is the deep threat, etc.....keenan Allen isn't super duper fast......He just can get open

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Yeah. Shame that Clemson couldn't decide what to do with Justyn Ross. SMDH.

I was actually glad that he didn't come here so his talents wouldn't be wasted. Smart decision by him.

9 minutes ago, WFE12 said:

I was actually glad that he didn't come here so his talents wouldn't be wasted. Smart decision by him.

Same goes to the kid who went to UGA recently. If we are still pigeonholing players, we are really doing a real injustice to them. 

With Williams, Hill, and Swartz.. WR should not be a concern. The ONLY reason WR would be a concern is CGM. Unleash Williams.. find ways to get him the ball.. I don’t care if it is inside or out.. get him the ball.. dude is a beast. 

33 minutes ago, DAG said:

Same goes to the kid who went to UGA recently. If we are still pigeonholing players, we are really doing a real injustice to them. 

The only injustice that was done was by Pickens and it was to Auburn. Ross did it cleanly and no grudges exist. 

I’m making a mental note though that the Pickens stunt was worst than the Rashaan Evans decision, yet the same crowd is quick to pardon Pickens and hate Evans. Which that strikes me as odd because Rahsaan was never committed to Auburn, he wanted out of Auburn, and he wanted to put his hands in the dirt and Ellis was stupid enough to continue recruiting him for the Star position. So, he said no

Pickens was committed for a year and a half, had plenty of time time to let us down easy (Quinnen Williams,) and was in our stadium two days before he decided to abandon his own HS team’s signing day just so he could turn our tables upside down in his very own.

Karma is coming for him. 

1 minute ago, aujeff11 said:

The only injustice that was done was by Pickens and it was to Auburn. Ross did it cleanly and no grudges exist. 

I’m making a mental note though that the Pickens stunt was worst than the Rashaan Evans decision, yet the same crowd is quick to pardon Pickens and hate Evans. Which that strikes me as odd because Rahsaan was never committed to Auburn, he wanted out of Auburn, and he wanted to put his hands in the dirt and Ellis was stupid enough to continue recruiting him for the Star position. So, he said no

Pickens was committed for a year and a half, had plenty of time time to let us down easy (Quinnen Williams,) and was in our stadium two days before he decided to abandon his own HS team’s signing day just so he could turn our tables upside down in his very own.

Karma is coming for him. 

Yeah Pickens won't find any forgiveness here. 

14 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Yeah. Shame that Clemson couldn't decide what to do with Justyn Ross. SMDH.

14 hours ago, McLoofus said:

And the thing is, we do know how to use him. (Seth Williams) Gus is just choosing not to.

Yeah, if Gus had only used Seth Williams properly he'd have been on the freshman all SEC team.....

Oh, wait.....he was.

Pickens really did $hit all over us. I mean, considering he may be the go to WR as a true freshman at UGA, I get it...but man. He played us worse than most 16 year olds. 

5 hours ago, aujeff11 said:

Karma is coming for him. 

Cool rant. I was talking about injustice done to our current players. Pickens was bought up because another poster mentioned that Ross chose Clemson over us and rightfully so. I understand why Pickens would choose another school as well. Never once did I say I agreed with the way he did it. 

6 hours ago, Barnacle said:

Yeah Pickens won't find any forgiveness here. 

Nope & I bet our DBs light him up a time or 2 so he doesn't forget it either.

1 hour ago, DAG said:

I was talking about injustice done to our current players

Are the current players aware of these injustices or are you just making things up as you go?

Oklahoma State usually has a powerful offense and their scheme is basically just like ours 

“We recently looked at Oklahoma State wide receiver James Washington’s biggest strengths, and why he’s such a talented deep-ball threat. Washington isn’t perfect, though, and in this article we will discuss his biggest weakness, which isn’t necessarily his own flaw.

Washington is the spread’s prototypical big-play receiver. Those receivers will often make their biggest plays on four routes: the streak, the skinny post, and the occasional slant and red zone fade. In most spread systems, the route tree will not be nearly as intricate or detailed as in an NFL system, and that’s especially true for outside receivers.

The most common knock on possession receivers in a spread system is both a lack of precision in route running and a lack of diversity in routes. Washington gets almost all of his deep catches off of streaks and skinny posts, and in the red zone gets touchdowns off of fades and the occasional back-side slant tag.

Look at Washington’s most common routes”

Washington is actually a better route runner than many scouts believe. Yes, the routes he runs are limited, but that’s only due to the offense that he plays in. Plus, he runs them well and should be fully capable of learning a more complicated NFL offense with time.

“But why is this important for college? Well, because of the way he’s used, certain teams can minimize his effectiveness with a good defensive game plan. Washington isn’t a volume receiver who catches 10-12 balls a game. In fact, out of the top 15 players in receiving yards in 2016, Washington was dead last with 71, which was way below the 95-reception average.

Additionally, he has never had a double-digit reception game. To put that in perspective for Cowboy fans, OSU’s last great receiver, Justin Blackmon, had six double-digit games in both his sophomore and junior season.

As mentioned earlier, teams who have bracketed Washington or spun coverage toward him have often limited his effectiveness. Look at the Kansas game, where he only had one reception for 9 yards, or the Oklahoma game in which he had only two receptions (of course OSU’s leading receiver only had three).

This isn’t necessarily Washington’s fault. It’s a result of the offense that the Cowboys run, which is oftentimes hit or miss in the passing game with little intermediate concepts. The good news is that teams won’t be able to bracket Washington as much in 2017 because of how strong the receiving group is as a whole. Although more talent will likely mean a more balanced distribution of receptions across the position group (meaning fewer catches for Washington), it should ultimately prevent any more games where Washington doesn’t come up with any catches.

Washington isn’t a perfect receiver and he doesn’t play in a perfect offense. He even has the occasional drop or lapse in concentration. But his talent is undeniable, and when the Cowboys are rolling and completing the deep ball, they’re one of the toughest teams to stop. Hopefully Washington will see yet another productive season in his final season at OSU.”

https://pistolsfiringblog.com/film-study-osus-offense-helps-hurts-james-washington/

1 hour ago, aujeff11 said:

Are the current players aware of these injustices or are you just making things up as you go?

You want to go down this road again with me? Last time you were crying to the mods once again. Our most recent drafted wide receiver explicitly said he didn’t get a chance to show his versatility at Auburn because he was mainly just a deep threat

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.saturdaydownsouth.com/auburn-football/darius-slayton-on-leaving-auburn-for-nfl-draft-i-didnt-always-get-a-chance-to-show-my-full-ability/amp/

7 minutes ago, DAG said:

You want to go down this road again with me? Last time you were crying to the mods once again.

I didn’t fetch a single mod, so I don’t know what you’re talking about, but “this road” I’m not scared of. 

7 minutes ago, DAG said:

Our most recent drafted wide receiver explicitly said he didn’t get a chance to show his versatility at Auburn because he was mainly just a deep threat

That’s typical for spread offenses. Ask Kevin White, James Washington (Biletkinoff winner,) and others. Mean ole Gussy pants isn’t holding our receivers hostage. 

And for those goo goo gah gah eyed over Clemson’s offense.

What does Deon Cain say?

“There were a lot of questions about my route running and catching the ball,” Cain told TigerNet. “I had to show them I could catch the ball and run efficient routes. I was limited at Clemson because of the route tree we have because we don't have that many routes, but I wanted to show them I could be good in my routes as an inside or outside receiver. I wanted to prove that at the Combine and today.”

Read more: https://www.tigernet.com/story/TigerNet-Exclusive-with-Deon-Cain-I-just-want-to-get-on-a-team-16744#ixzz5vFrATAPq

https://www.tigernet.com/story/football/TigerNet-Exclusive-with-Deon-Cain-I-just-want-to-get-on-a-team-16744

9 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

I didn’t fetch a single mod, so I don’t know what you’re talking about, but “this road” I’m not scared of. 

That’s typical for spread offenses. Ask Kevin White, James Washington (Biletkinoff winner,) and others. Mean ole Gussy pants isn’t holding our receivers hostage. 

Haha you always look for the sympathy card every time we go down this road and get none. Stop it .

Just now, DAG said:

but I am making stuff up.

Now that the hardest part is over, now it’s time for the healing process.

Now that the hardest part is over, now it’s time for the healing process.

First I was making stuff up . Now its “this is common in spread offenses” lmao

Just now, DAG said:

Haha you always look for the sympathy card every time we go down this road and get none. Stop it .

Good day DAG. Maybe one of these days Mean ole Gussy Pants will stop holding our receivers hostage to spread offense schemes.

Good day DAG. Maybe one of these days Mean ole Gussy Pants will stop holding our receivers hostage to spread offense schemes.

Your words not mine.

Just now, DAG said:

Your words not mine.

Washington is the spread’s prototypical big-play receiver. Those receivers will often make their biggest plays on four routes: the streak, the skinny post, and the occasional slant and red zone fade. In most spread systems, the route tree will not be nearly as intricate or detailed as in an NFL system, and that’s especially true for outside receivers

Just now, aujeff11 said:

Washington is the spread’s prototypical big-play receiver. Those receivers will often make their biggest plays on four routes: the streak, the skinny post, and the occasional slant and red zone fade. In most spread systems, the route tree will not be nearly as intricate or detailed as in an NFL system, and that’s especially true for outside receivers

Okay? And? In what way does that disprove what I said about our WRs being pigeonholed? Just because other systems do it does not make it any less true. You said I was making things up, seems based on that quote this is not the case. 

Archived