MLB thread

GwillMac6

• 4 weeks later...

current AU players in MLB on all-time list among AU players:

* Josh Donaldson, 2nd in HR, RBI, 3rd in Hits, 4th in SB (needs 4 hits to pass Red Smith for 2nd all-time)

* Garrett Cooper, 8th in HR

* Grant Dayton, 8th in KOs (has passed Chris Bootcheck and Josh Hancock this season)

• 1 month later...

Happy Bobby Bonilla Day, everyone!

One of the best contracts ever.

$1,193,248.20 every July 1. It started in 2011 and runs through 2035. He'll be 72 when the last check hits.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SLAG-91 said:

Happy Bobby Bonilla Day, everyone!

One of the best contracts ever.

$1,193,248.20 every July 1. It started in 2011 and runs through 2035. He'll be 72 when the last check hits.

Still can't get over that.  Lol. What a retirement plan!

• 2 weeks later...

How many of you guys have paid attention to the ridiculous first half of the season for Shohei Ohtani of the Angels? I've never seen anyone with his combined skill set in baseball. Astonishing. I hope he can stay healthy. He has a genuine love and respect for the game and seems like a fine young man.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, johnnyAU said:

How many of you guys have paid attention to the ridiculous first half of the season for Shohei Ohtani of the Angels? I've never seen anyone with his combined skill set in baseball. Astonishing. I hope he can stay healthy. He has a genuine love and respect for the game and seems like a fine young man.

He's unbelievable to watch.....his bat speed is amazing

So next year teams will be playing the Cleveland Guardians...:dead:

What a perfectly milquetoast nickname. Can't wait for the first Guardians-Angels game next year...😮

Groot should be their mascot.

They had a golden opportunity to give a nod to their baseball history by going with Spiders (from late 1800s). Guess that would have been arachnidist.

2 hours ago, SLAG-91 said:

So next year teams will be playing the Cleveland Guardians...:dead:

What a perfectly milquetoast nickname. Can't wait for the first Guardians-Angels game next year...😮

Groot should be their mascot.

They had a golden opportunity to give a nod to their baseball history by going with Spiders (from late 1800s). Guess that would have been arachnidist.

WTH

• Haha 1

For posterity...

Rock on, Cleveland.

5 hours ago, SLAG-91 said:

For posterity...

Rock on, Cleveland.

Sounds minor league. 

14 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

Sounds like a newspaper

I think of a Senior citizens organization.

I did do some research, and I am a Pirate fan so I really didn't know how they became the Indians. But I found that way back they were called the Spiders, but they brought in a player of indian ancestry and people started calling the team Indians, as a derogatory term. Didn't know that its history is based on a negative connotation. 

I can see why it was easy for them to  want to change it. 

p.s. at least they didn't call them the Biscuits(our minor league team here in Montgomery). :laugh:

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone watching the Field of Dreams game on Fox? Absolutely perfect, just as Kevin Costner said in his pregame speech to crowd.  Goosebumps on the arms while watching the intro. Uniforms great, field is great.  Seeing homers fly into the cornfields. Real scoreboard with people changing the score.  Just great nostalgia.  I really hope they make this a tradition game.  Just incredible. 

• Like 1

Wow, what a game to cap off a perfect night! Just a fitting end. 

Sox blow a 3 run lead in top 9th to 2 run home runs by Judge and Stanton,  only to come up in the bottom and walk it off with a 2 run bomb! Sox win 9-8.

Also, I've yet to see anyone put this out there, but the final scoreboard read Yanks 8 - ChiSox 9. The film was made in '89. Again, can't script what went down last night.  So glad I watched til the end. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, AUBwins said:

Anyone watching the Field of Dreams game on Fox? Absolutely perfect, just as Kevin Costner said in his pregame speech to crowd.  Goosebumps on the arms while watching the intro. Uniforms great, field is great.  Seeing homers fly into the cornfields. Real scoreboard with people changing the score.  Just great nostalgia.  I really hope they make this a tradition game.  Just incredible. 

Oh, I have heard they definitely plan to make this an ongoing game or games. 

I just wish they had done this years ago, but better late than never.

I wonder how much a ticket was to this game? It held only 8,000 I think...

Field of Dreams along w/ The Natural were 2 of my favorite baseball movies from the past...great movies...

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

Oh, I have heard they definitely plan to make this an ongoing game or games. 

I just wish they had done this years ago, but better late than never.

I wonder how much a ticket was to this game? It held only 8,000 I think...

Field of Dreams along w/ The Natural were 2 of my favorite baseball movies from the past...great movies...

I hope it’s just 1 game a year, so as not to taint it.  Evidently between $1500-3000.  There is a Twitter reaction about a guy missing the game winner by looking at his phone right behind the plate. Caption was “Pay $3000 to go to FOD game, only to find something more interesting on your phone and miss the game winner"

They need to continue walking out through the corn fields and the throw backs. I loved the ones years ago that were very baggy. Loved it. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, AUBwins said:

I hope it’s just 1 game a year, so as not to taint it.  Evidently between $1500-3000.  There is a Twitter reaction about a guy missing the game winner by looking at his phone right behind the plate. Caption was “Pay $3000 to go to FOD game, only to find something more interesting on your phone and miss the game winner"

They need to continue walking out through the corn fields and the throw backs. I loved the ones years ago that were very baggy. Loved it. 

The only thing that would have made it better is if Costner AND Dwier Brown(aka John Kinsella) came through the cornfield together with Brown in a catchers mask, and they have a catch together in front of the fans there... 

• Love 1

17 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

The only thing that would have made it better is if Costner AND Dwier Brown(aka John Kinsella) came through the cornfield together with Brown in a catchers mask, and they have a catch together in front of the fans there... 

Absolutely agree.  I was actually hoping to see the dad come through.  My only assumption is they didn't want the "ghost" players aging, since they are preserved.  That is why Liotta wouldn't work either, possibly why JEJ didn't appear either unless he is bad on health.    

Just now, AUBwins said:

Absolutely agree.  I was actually hoping to see the dad come through.  My only assumption is they didn't want the "ghost" players aging, since they are preserved.  That is why Liotta wouldn't work either, possibly why JEJ didn't appear either unless he is bad on health.    

I'm pretty sure JEJ is not very active these days I read. I think they used his voice for part of the pre-game stuff.

True, if you're trying to keep it enshrined w/ the dead baseball players, even Kinsella could not have been used.

But hey, it had a hollywood tinge to it, so they could have stretched anything to make it nostalgic...

I read where the actor that played Costner's brother-in-law was there and threw catch w/ Costner on the old field...

• Love 1

4 hours ago, steeleagle said:

read where the actor that played Costner's brother-in-law was there and threw catch w/ Costner on the old field...

That's awesome. And fits the story

18 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

Thought everyone would enjoy this

Loved the video, hated the background music. Doesn't fit for a FOD view. lol...

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...

Both my Braves and Astros clinched divisions last night.