MLB thread

GwillMac6

This is a sentiment I think lots of folks can get behind...

20211026_174548(1).jpg

• Haha 1

Well, as I heard one of our local radio guys put it, "Baseball didn't like the Astros last night, and the Astros didn't like baseball last night, either."

Braves came out red-hot, and that was enough. Atlanta looks like one of those teams that doesn't do any one thing exceptionally, but does everything reasonably well. 

Hated to see Morton go out like that...he's always struck me as a good dude, and he'll be forever loved in Houston for closing out G7 in 2017. I can think of a whole bunch of guys who deserved Morton's fate more than Charlie did, and Trevor Bauer's sociopathic ass is at the top of the list.

• Like 2

Game 2 looked like Game 1, just with the uniforms swapped.

Hopefully the weather cooperates tonight.

Old fashioned pitchers duel so far.  Ian is straight dealing. 

Very clutch from the Braves tonight all around...tip of the cap. Getting out of the first with only one run given up was big.

One win away.  If Braves win hope they do it tomorrow.  Love teams winning on their home field.  Astros beating the Dodgers in LA 2 years ago was an awkward celebration. 

16 hours ago, AUBwins said:

One win away.  If Braves win hope they do it tomorrow and the betting sites on betting.co.uk predict the same.  Love teams winning on their home field.  Astros beating the Dodgers in LA 2 years ago was an awkward celebration. 

I believe in the Braves. I've even put some money on their win. Let's see if I'm right.

• 2 months later...

Pappi made the HOF!!!

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

Even being a Yankee fan he deserves it.

I know it’s controversial but there was a lot of rumbling about Clemens and Bonds getting in. If they, especially Bonds, get in, McGwire and Sosa should be in. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, aubearcat said:

I know it’s controversial but there was a lot of rumbling about Clemens and Bonds getting in. If they, especially Bonds, get in, McGwire and Sosa should be in. 

I think they should get in on the last opportunity.  Make them sweat then vote them in.  They still accomplished historical things.  The juicing can only take you so far.  Heck make a separate wing for questionable players.  This is a hot take btw. 

Happy for Papi though!

2 minutes ago, AUBwins said:

I think they should get in on the last opportunity.  Make them sweat then vote them in.  They still accomplished historical things.  The juicing can only take you so far.  Heck make a separate wing for questionable players.  This is a hot take btw. 

Happy for Papi though!

McGwire held the rookie record for HRs (49 or 50 I believe)for a while. I’m not sure if he still does or not. If he was on vitamin S then, it sure didn’t show.  I also believe Canseco was one of the first and biggest superstars to normalize steroid use. 

• Like 1

Never been a big baseball fan but have casually followed it from time to time. I was happy the Braves finally won the World Series last season.

As for the HOF, David Ortiz getting in 1st ballot was a no-brainer. The others like Bonds, Clemens, and Sosa are always going to be associated fairly or unfairly with PED use. There's at least an issue related to their on the field performance to justify why they're left out.

The one that hasn't been mentioned that I think is the most ridiculous is Curt Schilling not getting in. The 2022 ballot was his 10th and final year for the BBWAA ballot. He got 70+% on both the 2020 and 2021 ballots but only got 58.6% in 2022, his last. You need 75% of the vote to get in. 

The issue for Schilling is solely political. He's an outspoken conservative and has made polarizing political and social statements in his post-baseball career. So in Schilling's case, his issue has nothing to do with his actual playing career like others who have been left out. Schilling by any objective person, has the stats to be in the HOF. His resume and stats stack up well with others who are already in the HOF:

3,000 strikeout club(15th all time 3,116)

216 career wins

6x All Star

2x NL Strikeout Leader(1997, 1998)

2x MLB Wins Leader(2001, 2004)

World Series MVP 2001

TL;DR: Personality shouldn't outweigh the on the field achievements, especially if those achievements have no allegations of wrongdoing or being tainted in any way. Schilling belongs in the HOF.

14 hours ago, Auburnfan91 said:

Never been a big baseball fan but have casually followed it from time to time. I was happy the Braves finally won the World Series last season.

As for the HOF, David Ortiz getting in 1st ballot was a no-brainer. The others like Bonds, Clemens, and Sosa are always going to be associated fairly or unfairly with PED use. There's at least an issue related to their on the field performance to justify why they're left out.

The one that hasn't been mentioned that I think is the most ridiculous is Curt Schilling not getting in. The 2022 ballot was his 10th and final year for the BBWAA ballot. He got 70+% on both the 2020 and 2021 ballots but only got 58.6% in 2022, his last. You need 75% of the vote to get in. 

The issue for Schilling is solely political. He's an outspoken conservative and has made polarizing political and social statements in his post-baseball career. So in Schilling's case, his issue has nothing to do with his actual playing career like others who have been left out. Schilling by any objective person, has the stats to be in the HOF. His resume and stats stack up well with others who are already in the HOF:

3,000 strikeout club(15th all time 3,116)

216 career wins

6x All Star

2x NL Strikeout Leader(1997, 1998)

2x MLB Wins Leader(2001, 2004)

World Series MVP 2001

TL;DR: Personality shouldn't outweigh the on the field achievements, especially if those achievements have no allegations of wrongdoing or being tainted in any way. Schilling belongs in the HOF.

I think 75% is too high.  I think it should be 70%. I understand not wanting to make it less prestigious (like making a bowl these days).  But 70 could help counter some of those stubborn agenda-driven farts. Probably several ball players that didn't get in years ago that should have. 

• 2 months later...

• 2 weeks later...

• Like 1
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, aubearcat said:

That was fantastic.  Love those drone videos.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AUBwins said:

That was fantastic.  Love those drone videos.  

Fenway was supposed to be my wife and my annual anniversary trip. However, my oldest son just signed a football scholarship at a NAIA/D3 school in Arkansas so we’ll be spending our anniversary trip funds making trips to Arkansas. 

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Crazy how Freddie looked so homesick in Atlanta then fired his agent.  Evidently his agent never told Freddie about the final offer from Atlanta because he knew he'd accept it. What a 💩 move!

You can tell Freddie wanted to be in Atlanta first.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/11/2022 at 8:05 AM, abw0004 said:

2nd time this season it's happened. 1 time it's a fluke. 2 times it means he's not maintaining his glove properly.

As a long Mariners fan who hasn't had anything to cheer about in forever ... GOOD. Mariners are now tied for the 3rd wild card spot and have won 8 straight.