2019 Nip Watch

WarTim

2 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Here in North Texas another day over 100 with heat Index around 108 ...

Lucky! Y'all must've had a cold front come through.

Here is a view of our practice field.

8e1b55f49e3d34c8884bb7110c73b6cf09482fb7

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
24 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Does the Army SF have a football team that I don’t know about?  lol   

Oh, I know you've gone through so much more than I could even dream (nightmare?) of with your military training but Marathons.... Also we didn't have camps and serious off-season workouts so it took our coaches a week or more, plus all the puke we could provide, to even get into some semblance of shape.  I'm not sure I was ever in shape until game 2 or 3, LOL!

My nemesis. Most annoying workout ever. 

Yes!  I'm sure there was some football value to them 😉 but I, personally, thought they were just punishment!! Arrgh!!!

5 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

Man, if y’all had to run marathons y’all were easily in more shape than I ever was. lol

I too remember the water before and after only but we did get a handful of crushed ice during the break. Also if you thought you were hurt you better not lie on the ground. My coach would yell at us "get up off the ground before you kill the grass". Come to think of it we didn't have many injuries because we were afraid to be hurt. Then coach had the idea that a cold Coke would be good at halftime of our first game...not a good idea for thirsty boys. All in all I wouldn't trade a minute of it though. 

6 minutes ago, gr82be said:

I too remember the water before and after only but we did get a handful of crushed ice during the break. Also if you thought you were hurt you better not lie on the ground. My coach would yell at us "get up off the ground before you kill the grass". Come to think of it we didn't have many injuries because we were afraid to be hurt. Then coach had the idea that a cold Coke would be good at halftime of our first game...not a good idea for thirsty boys. All in all I wouldn't trade a minute of it though. 

My dad used to tell a story about how the coaches told them they could drink as much as they wanted, but only after they put salt in the water.

My sophomore year we got a new head coach. He had us run wind sprints for 30 minutes straight. Finally a friend of mine puked. Coach then said “THAT’S what I was looking for”..............True story......

Do y'all think conditioning programs are more or less intensive today? I'm not talking about summer workouts/weight lifting, I'm talking about post practice conditioning during fall camp and season. Like still got your pads on.

5 minutes ago, WarTim said:

My sophomore year we got a new head coach. He had us run wind sprints for 30 minutes straight. Finally a friend of mine puked. Coach then said “THAT’S what I was looking for”..............True story......

This seems familiar to me. I don't ever remember puking myself, but definitely saw it. Usually a lineman.

Coach Alvin Bresler   Great coach. Great Auburn man. 

41 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

Do y'all think conditioning programs are more or less intensive today? I'm not talking about summer workouts/weight lifting, I'm talking about post practice conditioning during fall camp and season. Like still got your pads on.

Man, we would run sprints and suicides with pads on forever, it seemed, after practice. I haven't seen a practice recently at any level to know what they do now. Overall my thinking is that the difference today is that it is more of year round conditioning than when I played, which was only Jr High and HS. Summer workouts and summer weight lifting programs were non existent. You were on your own, at least at my school. We basically got in shape the month of fall camp. Today you better report in shape or you're way behind and may not catch up. So based on that my guess is it's more intensive today because there's little margin for error. By today's standards we were just winging it in the '70s. Fortunately for us so we're 90-95% of the other team's players. If a football player wanted to stay in shape they played basketball and baseball too. 

5 hours ago, WarTim said:

I remember back in the day we were ALLOWED to drink water Before and After practice. Asking for water earned you stadium steps...

44F74312-DF7C-4E37-9410-FC453A9B20CD.jpeg

7 hours ago, alexava said:

I saw leaves fallen in neighborhood this morning! Buy I’m pretty sure the damn tree was having a heat stroke. It’s extremely flipping hot. I don’t know how kids practice football in this mess. I can barely weed eat.  

Well they're not 50 yrs old either😂

3 hours ago, Barnacle said:

Much less in my opinion.........when I lived in Pascagoula, MS. I used to walk across the street....They were coached by Dan Bland former MSU player 63-64........he was old school as they come and I dont believe they allowed him to practice the guys hard. Not near the contact and intensity we indured in the 82-86 time period and this was around 2003-2004........which seems like a lifetime ago.

11 hours ago, Barnacle said:

I think probably less intensive. Mainly because year around workout programs are more structured and specialized. If a coach wants big uglies, he shouldn’t run them into slimmer jeans. My camp was more akin to the Remember the Titans camp as we were put up and had to sleep at the school, but no where near Junction Boys. You could make an argument that if coaches withheld water today, they were unreasonably putting players lives in danger and should be fired. The military will force water down your throat making you finish a whole canteen after PT and use “drink water or die” mottos. No reason why HS football should be tougher. 

There is also this:

EBC_TdqW4AAgGTA?format=jpg&name=large

And this:

https://www.thewareaglereader.com/2013/04/first-class-bloodbath-that-time-pat-dye-made-auburn-play-two-a-day-games/

Here in Central Florida, the Heat and Humidity seemed to be a notch off today, during my bike ride.  Maybe the Nip will show up and kiss War Tim!!

18 minutes ago, mustache eagle said:

Dust, mosquitoes, yellow jackets, humidity, heat ... nope, not feelin the nip ...

Same here. Focused on ANY hint....zero thus far.....Hope springs eternal. 

12 minutes ago, Bottomfeeder said:

98 degrees Friday and I worked outside in it wearing fire-retardant clothing (FRC). No nip near lower Alabama.

Bless you. I can only imagine. 

Felt it on Saturday for the first time. Went skeet shooting with my pops. Dove on the power lines. The smell of a spent shotgun cartridge. Bluebird day. Only thing that was missing was Andy and Stan on the radio. 

On 8/13/2019 at 3:40 PM, WarTim said:

I remember back in the day we were ALLOWED to drink water Before and After practice. Asking for water earned you stadium steps...

And given salt tablets before and after. 

Archived