2019 Nip Watch

WarTim

4 hours ago, Barnacle said:

Felt it on Saturday for the first time. Went skeet shooting with my pops. Dove on the power lines. The smell of a spent shotgun cartridge. Bluebird day. Only thing that was missing was Andy and Stan on the radio. 

Dude...

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok. So it IS 86 degrees right now...but....remember The Nip is not only about temperature. Yard crew cutting grass and hedges right now. That smell just Screams NIP!!!

This morning on the ride in (on the bike) it was 72 with a little moisture in the air causing it to be just a little nippy...

Of course right now it is 94 with heat index in the 100s.  So....  Not so nippy any more

Hint of it in the weee early mornings ... even down here in South Florida. Of course, the beauty fades and the heat soon follows ... but there is a slight tease.

Well with the news of having a starting QB named i am officially pumped for football starting! Couple teaser games this weekend and then we are really into it. 

I also felt a little chill in the air this morning omw to the gym. I'm pretty sure the chill comes from me spending the past week in Phoenix though. Don't believe the BS about the dry heat not being so bad. 110 is freaking hot regardless of what the humidity is reading 🥵 

Saw that there is a front in late August that will push highs to the low 80s and lows in the upper 50s in North Alabama.  It’s getting about that time.  Bo Time!

33 minutes ago, gravejd said:

Well with the news of having a starting QB named i am officially pumped for football starting! Couple teaser games this weekend and then we are really into it. 

I also felt a little chill in the air this morning omw to the gym. I'm pretty sure the chill comes from me spending the past week in Phoenix though. Don't believe the BS about the dry heat not being so bad. 110 is freaking hot regardless of what the humidity is reading 🥵 

That heat in Phoenix kills my sinuses within 24 hrs of my arrival, every time I'm there.

22 hours ago, WarTim said:

Ok. So it IS 86 degrees right now...but....remember The Nip is not only about temperature. Yard crew cutting grass and hedges right now. That smell just Screams NIP!!!

Exactly. One of the things I notice is the angle of the sun during the later part of the afternoon being different. The length of shadows cast just look different and that just remind me of fall. 

2 hours ago, RunInRed said:

Hint of it in the weee early mornings ... even down here in South Florida. Of course, the beauty fades and the heat soon follows ... but there is a slight tease.

South Florida? I thought you lived right in the middle of God’s country.

On 8/21/2019 at 9:21 AM, RunInRed said:

Nip in the air on PCB this afternoon. Crowds are gone and sea breeze feels footballish late afternoons.. If I had nip powers would have called it around six o'clock this afternoon. 

Understand it is miserable hot in Auburn but we have the drum corp practicing while strolling around campus there. Better than a sea breeze IMO. 

On 8/21/2019 at 10:21 AM, RunInRed said:

On 8/21/2019 at 12:46 PM, alexava said:

South Florida? I thought you lived right in the middle of God’s country.

Wait...THIS explains why there are no more pictures of fruit!!! Get on back up to Alabama. We are all depending on you!!!

14 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

Nip in the air on PCB this afternoon. Crowds are gone and sea breeze feels footballish late afternoon

I will be there next week. Don’t count your blessings yet.

No sign of the nip in my neighborhood... Unless you count the hail we had yesterday...

It was unfortunate, really - it was not how I wanted to spend my Tuesday night. She and I never were good together, despite her being the mother of my beautiful daughter (who, thankfully, looks like her but acts like me, rather than the reverse).

We met originally in a springtime, but didn't see each other again until...well...about this time of year, almost 20 years ago now, out in a park, where the evenings exist in that tense, liminal space between Summer and Autumn, where it's still uncomfortably hot but flashing occasional surprising moments of coolness, like a lover's tender touch on your arm as you're walking by, just to let you know that she's always there, even if you're further away than you'd like to be. The piedmont leaves had just started to show a yellow frosting along the edges, and the crickets and katydids soft buzzing spoke to us in waves of the promise of fall, and falling in love. The start of the school year, despite being a month early from the change of the season, was thick with promise. Every fall is.

How much can change, though, in the years. We had to meet the other night at a nearby park and talk, talk through some troubles and, like always when we see each other, reminisce about our past and figure out our present. This early evening, the crickets were quiet, but the sound of traffic and playing children and the clacks and shouts of a football practice at one of the fields nearby gave us privacy to talk. To think. To sit, quiet, as we pondered what surprises or heartache the next few months would bring us as we gathered with family. In those quiet moments, those spaces of anticipation and trepidation, we sat. Waiting. Out of things to say.

The darkness fell suddenly, as it does this time of year. The football practice ended, the players slowly walking by carrying pads and helmets. The lights went out, and it grew quiet. The air, humid and warm like a blanket while in the sunlight, lifted and stirred in the darkness as the breeze picked up like a soft breath, and with the breeze, some little coolness sighing in the yellow-fringed leaves on the trees. And with the coolness, interspersed with the promise that those leaves would soon turn and fall, I could hear the soft strains of tentative, hesitant music from a marching band, floating over the trees, stirring autumn memories of togetherness that had been forged by hours of practice, in anticipation for those few moments where we would all step out from the stands to be the center of attention.

The cool, whispering breeze was the gateway to that same liminal space. Existing between summer and fall, between anticipation and memory. Soon the space between will not be in the waiting for fall to come, but in the last few whispers of summer as the days grow shorter and the leaves turn. That moment stirred memories of the time when, rather than anticipating the relief of a cool breeze, you cherish the warm caress of the sun as it brushes off the early November chill from your shoulders.

As we sat there, the air became still again, and the moment passed. But that moment reminded me that while our time is short, the next few days are, as well. Soon, fall will be here. With anticipation and heartache. With family. It's not the temperature, its not the sights or sounds or smells. It's just when that moment hits you. Despite how long it took, and despite how these last few days seem to stretch and dilate, it's almost time. It's almost time.

21 hours ago, The Plainsman said:

I thought today was Friday... certainly that is a sign of Nipdome...   

I spent $200 at a Nipdome last Friday.

20 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

Yep save the money for the A team

Apparently it’s preseason everywhere.

63 degrees in central North Carolina, there is a clean, fall crisp in the air this morning, and football starts tonight!

I believe the Nip Watch is about to be upgraded... @WarTim, are your tentacles tingling?

Also: I appreciate how much I (and others) look forward to this thread every year.  Traditions are a beautiful thing.

Thank you, Tim! WDE

Not much nip in NW Alabama right now.  The humidity has been oppressive even when I go out at 4 a.m. for the morning workout.  Played our first game Thursday night and it felt like a sauna!  😂😂.  It was nice seeing our guys being in better shape than theirs.  They had guys cramping in the first half.  Think we had one all night.  Man it’s nice to have HS football back and the Tigers on the field next weekend!  I feel like those people that sit back waiting on the monsoons to come every year!  😂😂😂  

63 degrees at 8 0’clock this morning in the NC mountains.  At 11 0’clock it’s 59, if it’s not here, it’s pretty close.  I’m ready for some football.

Archived