Fall Camp: Practice 1 Observations

leglessdan

Auburn fall practice observations: 2 linemen out, 5 other players limited on 1st day

Auburn first day of spring 2019

Todd Van Emst/AU Athletics

Auburn coach Gus Malzahn talks to his team to start practice. Auburn spring practice starts on Monday, March 18, 2019 in Auburn, Ala. Todd Van Emst/AU Athletics

Auburn opened fall camp on Friday, holding the first of 14 practices before the semester starts. The media was granted a 40-minute viewing window during the Tigers’ first practice, which was one of the longest media periods in recent memory.

Auburn was without two injured players on Friday, with five others limited in orange non-contact jerseys to open fall practice. Defensive tackle Daquan Newkirk (Achilles) and offensive tackle Prince Michael Sammons (undisclosed) were both present but not dressed out on the first day, while defensive tackle Coynis Miller (shoulder), defensive back Jordyn Peters (Achilles), running back D.J. Williams (undisclosed), tight end Luke Deal (ACL) and walk-on receiver James Owens Moss (undisclosed) were all in orange non-contact jerseys.

Other notes and observations from the first day of fall camp:

-- Sophomore safety Smoke Monday, who was limited this spring due to a shoulder injury, was not in an orange non-contact jersey. Wide receiver Will Hastings, who was cleared on the final day of spring practice following a second ACL surgery, was also a full participant on Friday.

-- Running back rotation during position drills, with assistant coach Cadillac Williams performing handoffs: Boobee Whitlow, Kam Martin, Shaun Shivers, Malik Miller, D.J. Williams, Harold Joiner and Mark-Antony Richards.

-- During drills between running backs and quarterbacks, Bo Nix rotated with Boobee Whitlow and Shaun Shivers, while Joey Gatewood did handoffs with Kam Martin and Malik Miller.

-- Offensive line rotation during position drills: LT Prince Tega Wanogho, LG Marquel Harrell, C Kaleb Kim, RG Mike Horton, RT Jack Driscoll were with the first team, as expected. Second-team offensive line included LT Alec Jackson, LG Tashawn Manning, C Nick Brahms, RG Keiondre Jones and RT Brodarious Hamm. Senior tackle Bailey Sharp was switching between left and right tackle on the second team, pointing to his versatility and likely role as the Tigers’ third tackle now that Austin Troxell is out for the year with a torn ACL.

-- T.D. Moultry and Big Kat Bryant rotated at Buck, while Nick Coe mostly repped at defensive end.

-- Grad transfers Zach Farrar and Jay Jay Wilson were present and practicing on the first day. Farrar looked pretty fast, and at 6-foot-4 gives the Tigers a taller option on the outside at receiver. Wilson was in the mix at H-back early on.

-- Auburn also ran its pace drill, with offense and defense split up. Here’s an early look at the first- and second-team units for each side of the ball:

First-team offense:

-- LT Prince Tega Wanogho, LG Marquel Harrell, C Kaleb Kim, RG Mike Horton, RT Jack Dricsoll

-- QB Joey Gatewood, RB Boobee Whitlow, H-back Spencer Nigh

-- WRs: Marquis McClain (split end), Eli Stove (flanker), Seth Williams (big slot)

Second-team offense:

-- LT Alec Jackson, LG Tashawn Manning, C Nick Brahms, RG Keiondre Jones, RT Brodarious Hamm

-- QB Bo Nix, RB Kam Martin, H-back John Samuel Shenker

-- WRs: Matthew Hill (split end), Anthony Schwartz (flanker), Sal Cannella (big slot)

Note: On the third rotation for pace, Auburn used the same personnel as the first team, except with Malik Miller at running back and Jay Jay Wilson at H-back, and Bailey Sharp at left tackle. On the fourth rotation, it was the same personnel as the second team, except with Shaun Shivers at running back and Spencer Nigh at H-back, as well as Kameron Stutts at left guard.

First-team defense:

-- Buck T.D. Moultry, DT Derrick Brown, DT Tyrone Truesdell, DE Marlon Davidson

-- MLB K.J. Britt, OLB Owen Pappoe

-- CB Noah Igbinoghene, Nickel Christian Tutt, FS Jeremiah Dinson, SS Daniel Thomas, CB Javaris Davis

Second-team defense:

-- Buck Big Kat Bryant, DT Coynis Miller, DT Gary Walker, DE Nick Coe

-- MLB Chandler Wooten, OLB Zakoby McClain

-- CB Devan Barrett, Nickel Jordyn Peters, FS Smoke Monday, SS Jamien Sherwood, CB Roger McCreary

Friday’s music selection during stretch period: “Goin’ Baby” by Da Baby, and “Zeze” by Offset featuring Travis Scott.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I absolutely love our running back group. If the NCAA video game was still around I would make sure all of them had 1,000 yards.

7 minutes ago, Zeek said:

I absolutely love our running back group. If the NCAA video game was still around I would make sure all of them had 1,000 yards.

Maybe with Air Force playbook and long as you didn't run into me! 

• ellitor changed the title to Fall Camp: Practice 1 Observations
7 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Logged a many of hour on that game........2003 I would try and squeeze a game off my dynasty shedule in with my lunch break.....5 minutes home+ 5 minutes return to work usually = 1 hr 25 min lunch and sneaking through back door😂

I think Tega and Driscoll may be the 2 most important players on the team. If either goes down, it may get ugly.

1 hour ago, leglessdan said:

Friday’s music selection during stretch period: “Goin’ Baby” by Da Baby, and “Zeze” by Offset featuring Travis Scott.

This is definitely the most important part of the article. 

13 minutes ago, CR said:

I think Tega and Driscoll may be the 2 most important players on the team. If either goes down, it may get ugly.

Nah...we have depth!

22 minutes ago, CR said:

We may not win an SEC game if one of those guys go down.  I'm not sold on Driscoll as it is.

Live Updates: Gus Malzahn breaks down Auburn’s start of training camp

Sam Blum -al.com

Auburn head coach Gus Malzahn speaks with the media following Auburn’s first practice of training camp. The quarterback battle was discussed, along with other position battles. The Tigers will practice 14 times over the next 17 days before the start of the semester, and have 30 days before the first game against Oregon.

Here’s what Malzahn had to say about his initial thoughts on Auburn’s practice. And you can follow along below for live updates.

Live Updates:

-- Malzahn said he liked the energy, but the players got tired at the end.

-- He said he had the focus on older guys early, and younger guys at the end.

-- Daquan Newkirk was out, Sammons and was out, Coynis Miller Jr. was out. Newkirk will be out for a while, Sammons out around the start of the season, same for Miller Jr.

-- Bo and Joey got all the reps with the 1s and 2s. Cord got reps with the No. 3s.

-- Malzahn said in the past, they took a while to install the offense. Today they did a lot, which is out of the norm.

-- “They’re desperate to win the job.” -- Malzahn on QBs. 

-- DJ Williams is limited, he had a shoulder procedure. So was Jordyn Peters, James Owens Moss and Luke Deal.

-- Installing the offense early was a result of experience on the offense.

-- He said Zach Farrar looks like a veteran guy. He has been at four colleges now.

-- Malzahn said he liked the way Schwartz and Shivers looked coming off the track season in spring.

-- He said Bo and Joey seemed like they came out of the summer more mature.

-- With two DTs out, Malzahn said it’s allowed younger players an opportunity to play there. 

Ughhhhhhh I hate Newkirk is hurt again. Dude waited a long time to be a Auburn Tiger and has had nothing but bad injury luck since he got back. I just feel for the guy and hate it for him.

3 hours ago, Zeek said:

You know there are still downloadable current rosters, right? About this time every year I download the new rosters onto NCAA 14 and play a dynasty as Auburn. Google it. The amateur guys that create the rosters are even more detailed than the original EA games.

21 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Ughhhhhhh I hate Newkirk is hurt again. Dude waited a long time to be a Auburn Tiger and has had nothing but bad injury luck since he got back. I just feel for the guy and hate it for him.

Same here. This guy so looks the part, he is unbelievably huge and i think he could really help up front. Achilles problems on a big guy are not good though. Here's hoping.

1 minute ago, Brad_ATX said:

Wait, wait, wait.  Did I see our QBs take a snap from under center and practice a straight handoff?

Saw that too.

Archived