Fall Camp: Practice 3 Oservations & Notes

WFE12

2 minutes ago, passthebiscuits said:

Just to offer another perspective...We (the med community) are already busting at the seams under the stadium in the area where we let those who have had too many drinks are convalescing. We treat many in the ER (many under 21) who have nearly drunk themselves into a coma. We can’t even figure out who has a student ID reliably, how are we going to insure that they won’t buy beer at the stadium. Furthermore, will the stadium/university be sued for overserving if there is a bad outcome. What about their drive home? 

Im not against the sell of beverages at the game, but it’s not a simple move without consequence. 

These are all fair points, but it does seem like all of these issues have been addressed successfully across the country in professional and college stadiums.

As to students, I would quarantine the student section. Make it self contained with it's own concessions that do not sell alcohol. If you are in the student section, you don't have access to alcohol, period, and even if you are over 21.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, passthebiscuits said:

Just to offer another perspective...We (the med community) are already busting at the seams under the stadium in the area where we let those who have had too many drinks are convalescing. We treat many in the ER (many under 21) who have nearly drunk themselves into a coma. We can’t even figure out who has a student ID reliably, how are we going to insure that they won’t buy beer at the stadium. Furthermore, will the stadium/university be sued for overserving if there is a bad outcome. What about their drive home? 

Im not against the sell of beverages at the game, but it’s not a simple move without consequence. 

I've always said that selling of beer (not liquor) in the stadium would actually result in a lower number of extreme drinking issues.  It's been my opinion, that the "over-served" type issues comes from people drinking absolutely as much as they can as fast as they can prior to entering the stadium, and then smuggling in liquor, all because they can't get beer in the stadium.

As someone on the med side of things, do you agree...?  Just thought I'd ask your opinion since you have eyes on that side of it...

1 minute ago, passthebiscuits said:

I appreciate and respect your perspective, of course. But 1) stadiums that have gone wet have consistently reported dramatically lower incidents and 2) I am personally of the opinion that the binge drinking that occurs before the game and the overconsumption of hard liquor during the game will significantly go down when people can just buy a beer instead. As for overserving, I am of the opinion that buying beers in a stadium is just inconvenient and cost-prohibitive enough, combined with the *lower alcohol content of beer, that it wouldn't be a huge problem. Highly subjective opinion of mine, I know. As for the drive home, I don't see that changing, especially when you stop serving beer at the beginning of the 3rd quarter. 

I wouldn't feel as strongly about this if I hadn't seen the statistics at other stadiums.

*Lower alcohol content assuming that Auburn fans haven't gotten to the point where they'd rather drink no beer than Bud Light. Even still, it's easy to find craft beer that is low ABV. 

5 minutes ago, passthebiscuits said:

It seems to me that we have some examples on policy and handling this that we can look to for guidance:  The NFL, MLB, NHL and NBA who have all been serving beer for decades.  I don't think there's a rash of drunk driving incidents or overwhelming medical issues at those games that I've ever heard of.

I just don’t think we need to be selling alcohol except maybe in the suites.  Students are drunk enough as it is and I would worry about potential liability if someone does something stupid, which alcohol has always encouraged for me.  

I think there’s some stadiums that could be depended on to handle alcohol. I really think Auburn could fall into that pack. A lot of students pregame so heavy bc they’re trying to drink for 4 hrs or w/e. Now obviously doing that in 100 degree heat is beyond stupid, but you don’t get a degree for common sense. However, if we allowed drinks, they could just drink enough to keep themselves buzzed. 

11 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

Could be as simple as making sure there is cold water available in the stadium after the first quarter. See LSU game last year. 

Beer is a no-brainer for me. Improved concessions and bathrooms are too. I think it would do well to create some "lounge" areas where people can escape from the heat for a moment, take a seat with a beverage and food and watch the game on some big TVs. Maybe even figure out a way to show other SEC games being played at the same time. That's one huge advantage to watching at home that you lose in the stadium. 

I don't know that there's room anywhere in the stadium to do this, but sure would be nice to create some sort of family friendly, standing room only area that is contained, offers some amusement for kids, had its own concessions and restrooms was offered at a discounted price. They have places like these in baseball stadiums, but again maybe there isn't any room/feasibility in JHS.

This. All of this. 

25 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Out of reactions but *love*.

Seriously though. What Auburn can do *right now* is figure out how to make JHS a place where Auburn fans want to go spend time. Not just pay a ton of money to sweat it up the ramparts to get to their uncomfortable seats, go to dumpy bathrooms, overpay for mediocre concessions, and hopefully watch a decent game without melting, freezing or getting drenched by rain. Now, some of that might have changed in the last couple years, but that's how I remember it. Doesn't have to be that way. It's okay if people like the stadium for reasons other than what happens on the field. 

The concession prices here for how mid the food is, painful honestly. $8 for a drink, $6 for trash cold nachos. $8 at the Mercedes stadium gets you a feast

19 hours ago, bigbird said:

tenor.gif

Have to throw them when they're there. Too many times we miss the open underneath guy trying for the HR.

Yes please!!

15 hours ago, passthebiscuits said:

Gatewood looking great. Obvious leader for the team.

Hey pass, I know you have the pulse of the team - can you tell us what you see that is making Joey look much better than Nix the first few days? Is it the way he carries himself in the locker room and the "huddle"?  Some of the other places (like rivals) were really critical on Joey's short-intermediate passing the first day. Do you think that was just rust? It seems as if Joey really turned the corner in the spring as person who wants to lead the team, and I love that quality in a quarterback... but I am concerned when people that watch him throw in practice talk about him struggling. 

2 hours ago, passthebiscuits said:

Gotta wait for the official word from the players and coaches. Can’t disclose without permission. Remember that it’s this time of year that stuff happens. Not all of it football related. 

I mean it’s not a HIPAA violation to report a football injury.. There were already reports of the injury last night. You didn’t have to tell us we “doing okay with injuries knock on wood” if we really wasn’t. 

And here comes the shush

1 minute ago, aujeff11 said:

I mean it’s not a HIPAA violation to report a football injury.. There were already reports of the injury last night. You didn’t have to tell us we “doing okay with injuries knock on wood” if we really wasn’t. 

And here comes the shush

Stoves injury is very minor and Schwartz should be back by week 2 at the very latest if not the Oregon game. If that’s the worst we have right now then I’d say we’re doing okay. 

1 hour ago, weagl1 said:

I just don’t think we need to be selling alcohol except maybe in the suites.  Students are drunk enough as it is and I would worry about potential liability if someone does something stupid, which alcohol has always encouraged for me.  

How would serving beer in other areas of the stadium outside the student section make the students more drunk than you think they already are?  If they’re getting lit prior to coming in JHS, that won’t change. 

3 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

And here comes the shush

You really need to be less defensive. 

Nathan King • AuburnSports

After just 18 days in Auburn and a handful of days of fall camp, new Tigers receiver Zach Farrar is settling in well with his new squad.

Farrar, a grad transfer from Youngstown State who reported to campus in mid-June, was signed by Auburn to help fill the gap at split end receiver and inject some experience into the Tigers’ receiving unit as a whole.

“When he gets out there, it feels like a veteran guy,” Gus Malzahn said of Farrar at Auburn’s fall camp. “He was excited to be out here. He’s learning too. You’ve got to understand he just showed up so he’s learning, but he’s learning quick.”

In the one limited viewing window of Auburn’s fall practices so far, Farrar wasn’t treated as a veteran. He stood on the sidelines and watched as Marquis McClain and Matthew Hill took first- and second-team reps at split end, respectively.

As camp rolls on and the new players learn the ropes, Farrar will get his shot to carve out a role in the group.

“I think he’s a great receiver,” senior receiver Will Hastings said of his impressions of Farrar. “I think he’s a good kid; he knows how to run routes. … I’m ready to see him put the pads on and see what he’s got.”

Auburn is Farrar’s fourth college football team in as many years. A former 3-star signee in Oklahoma’s 2016 class, Farrar redshirted one season with the Sooners before transferring to Mississippi Gulf Coast Community College in 2017. From there he bounced to Youngstown State, where he caught 20 passes for 307 yards and a touchdown in six games played.

The stats haven’t been flashy, but that’s not why Auburn brought him in. At 6-foot-4 and 210 pounds, Farrar is shown on tape to be able to stretch the field vertically — something Malzahn wants desperately out of his outside receivers in order to open things up for the run game and the short-to-intermediate throws for his new quarterback.

Malzahn said this year he’s installing his offensive scheme faster than ever before to test the quarterbacks. And he’s not slowing down to accommodate for the newcomers.

But after a few days of that into-the-fire approach, Malzahn said Farrar’s “natural ability” for his size has caught the head coach's eye.

The Tigers suited up in shells for the first time in camp Sunday. They’ll put on full pads Tuesday before the first scrimmage of the fall Thursday. After the 11-on-11 inside Jordan-Hare Stadium — where all non-quarterbacks and healthy players will be live — Malzahn said he’ll be focused on playing fast and seeing how the offense responds, the journeyman Farrar included.

“He’s still kind of learning, but you can tell he’s got a skill set, now,” Malzahn said of Farrar. “He’s still coming along. Like I said, probably for him, it’s not the best that we’ve been putting out installs in a little bit quicker. But you can tell he’s got some natural ability.”

Well you know Farrar doesn't have to worry about learning a super complicated route tree or anything lol. Screen, deep, screen deep and of course in the redzone.....block 😂

3 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

You really need to be less defensive. 

On the contrary. Doesn’t make sense to say “we are doing okay with injuries knock on wood” if he also knew our best receiver was en route to a medical evaluation. Maybe he didn’t know about the receiver and that’s fine too.

20 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

And here comes the shush

Sorry. Didn’t know you were a HIPAA compliance expert.

just offering my two cents thus far...don’t make you drink the kool-aid, just tell you that there’s kool-aid available.

you must be an enneagram 8. I see you. We get it.

4 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

On the contrary. Doesn’t make sense to say “we are doing okay with injuries knock on wood” if he also knew our best receiver was en route to a medical evaluation. Maybe he didn’t know about the receiver and that’s fine too.

We are doing ok. Dude, if you don’t want updates, don’t read my content. 

18 minutes ago, AuburnTiger4Life said:

Stoves injury is very minor and Schwartz should be back by week 2 at the very latest if not the Oregon game. If that’s the worst we have right now then I’d say we’re doing okay. 

It’s all relative. Yesterday he was healthy and our best receiver. Today, he just finished up surgery. There are always better and worse case scenarios. 

4 minutes ago, passthebiscuits said:

Sorry. Didn’t know you were a HIPAA compliance expert.

just offering my two cents thus far...don’t make you drink the kool-aid, just tell you that there’s kool-aid available.

you must be an enneagram 8. I see you. We get it.

Wow an enneagram reference . I respect that quite honestly .

Archived