Predicting The Class: 8/5/19

ellitor

I'm just going to paste expected additions. If you want to read notes on the commits click the link in the article headline.

Predicting the 2020 Auburn recruiting class

By Keith Niebuhr
9345982.jpg?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offs
Five-star linebacker Trenton Simpson committed to Auburn in June. (Photo: Jason Caldwell/Inside The Auburn Tigers, 247Sports)

After five straight top-10 recruiting classes, Auburn just missed doing it again with the 2018 signees. Then, the Tigers again fell short with the 2019 class. That group finished 11th in the rankings.

Can Auburn coach Gus Malzahn get Auburn back into the top 10?

Not that long ago, we would have said, no chance. On June 1, the Tigers had only six commitments and were 29th in the team rankings. But thanks to a red-hot summer, Auburn now has 17 verbals and the No. 12 class ranking -- and there's a chance it could be inside the top 10 by the end of the week.

The headliner of the class? That would be linebacker Trenton Simpson of Charlotte (N.C.) Mallard Creek. He's the No. 48 recruit nationally in the industry generated 247Sports Composite but actually is a 5-star with 247Sports.

All told, we expect Auburn to sign between 24-26 prospects in the 2020 cycle.

Today, we've taken all the current intel we have and combined it with Auburn's needs to compile this 2020 class projection.

RB -- Tank Bigsby, Hogansville (Ga.) Callaway: The country's No. 31 overall recruit, Bigsby will announce his college choice Friday night at 5:30 CT. The Tigers are trending at the moment. Bigsby visited them four times in June and again the last week of July. Georgia is the biggest threat.

TE -- Jeremiah Pegues, Oxford (Miss.): The 6-feet-2, 280-pound jumbo athlete is the No. 4 recruit in Mississippi. He has been trending to the Tigers for a couple months and has visited multiple times this year.

DE/DT -- Andy Boykin, LaGrange (Ga.) Troup County: A former Auburn commit, Boykin once again claims the Tigers as his leader. Will they push to get him back in the class? That remains to be seen. If they do, they'll probably sign him.

DT -- McKinnley Jackson, Lucedale (Miss) George County: The No. 1 recruit in the state of Mississippi, Jackson has visited Auburn multiple times since 2018. Alabama, LSU and possibly the in-state schools probably are the other programs to watch. Jackson most recently visited Auburn in late July.

DE -- BJ Ojulari, Marietta (Ga.): Auburn is trending up for the 4-star edge rusher and as we first reported a couple weeks ago the Tigers may even be the favorite. He's one of the most talented recruits in Georgia.

LB/Buck -- Phillip Webb, Sugar Hill (Ga.) Lanier: Webb has been one of Auburn's biggest priorities in this cycle and it won't be easy to land him. Alabama and LSU are the top competition. Not that long ago, he looked to be LSU bound. But now, things appear to be fairly open again. Auburn is very much in this.

CB -- Brian George, Highland Community College (Kan.): The No. 3 junior college corner in the country, George will announce a decision in the near future and Auburn is a top contender. Miami might be the other team to watch for the Florida native.

CB -- Kendall Dennis, Lakeland (Fla.): This feels like an Auburn-Tennessee-Miami battle for the 4-star from Florida who visited the Tigers the last week of July. Auburn is trending up and has emerged as the favorite.

S -- Ladarius Tennison, Rockledge (Fla.): Our Crystal Ball pick has been on Auburn since April and Tennison said Sunday a commit decision will come "soon."

16 minutes ago, ellitor said:

I just going to paste expected additions. If you want to read notes on the commits click the link in the article headline.

We are either trending or favorites for all but Webb and Jackson. Not a bad prediction. 

I hope Woodson and Garner are recruiting Jackson. 

4 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Is it me, or do Keith's prediction read pretty much like a best-case scenario??

Yeah only because he included Webb. 

4 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Is it me, or do Keith's prediction read pretty much like a best-case scenario??

No. Best case Scenario would be Pouncey instead of Dennis & Z. Walker instead of Boykin.

This is just a damn good scenario & a very possible one at that.

1 minute ago, aujeff11 said:

Jackson

We may be trending for Jackson. He did take a secret visit to AU the day before the picnic.

10 minutes ago, ellitor said:

No. Best case Scenario would be Pouncey instead of Dennis & Z. Walker instead of Boykin.

Close enough!

2 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Close enough!

FWIW Keith doesn't do a best case often with these predictions. We just appear to be clicking that good right now with these targets.

3 minutes ago, ellitor said:

FWIW Keith doesn't do a best case often with these predictions. We just appear to be clicking that good right now with these targets.

That's what really struck me. I know that he keeps it real. So when I see him say that plus our momentum plus our typical ability to pull a few late plus, as you said, we were already trending for most of these guys... Yeah, there's no reason not to feel good and enjoy the moment IMO. Not to mention, none of those slots wasted on WRs, lol. 

• ellitor changed the title to Predicting The Class: 8/5/19
1 hour ago, ellitor said:

I thought we were leading for Pouncy. 

1 minute ago, bigbird said:

I thought we were leading for Pouncy. 

We were at last report but he doesn't appear to be committing anytime soon. Keith left him off thinking we would be full at CB in the class when he's ready to commit.

4 minutes ago, ellitor said:

We were at last report but he doesn't appear to be committing anytime soon. Keith left him off thinking we would be full at CB in the class when he's ready to commit.

He needs to be a take whenever he commits. Our DB depth isn't where we should be turning down talent like his. If we do, we'd be fools.

7 minutes ago, bigbird said:

He needs to be a take whenever he commits. Our DB depth isn't where we should be turning down talent like his. If we do, we'd be fools.

We're are planning to take 3 CBs in this class. That should be enough at that position in this class. Also if we hit on everyone else we are in a good spot with we would only have 1 open spot in the class. Gus likes to save at least 1 spot for a transfer.

Just now, ellitor said:

We're are planning to take 3 CBs in this class. That should be enough at that position in this class. Also if we hit on everyone else we are in a good spot with we only have 1 open spot in the class. Gus likes to save at least 1 spot for a transfer.

If that's the case, I'd push hard for Pouncy to change his commit plans.

Just now, bigbird said:

If they like him more than Dennis then I'm sure they are. Have you looked at Dennis's highlights to see how much more you like Pouncey than Dennis?

2 hours ago, ellitor said:

I'm just going to paste expected additions. If you want to read notes on the commits click the link in the article headline.

How about the kicker from Alabaster (Thompson HS)? Is he getting an offer?

18 minutes ago, PUB78 said:

How about the kicker from Alabaster (Thompson HS)? Is he getting an offer?

If he does word is it would be as a preferred walk on as of now.

3 hours ago, ellitor said:

If they like him more than Dennis then I'm sure they are. Have you looked at Dennis's highlights to see how much more you like Pouncey than Dennis?

I like Pouncey a lot more. Smooth back pedal, quick fluid hips, great drive and closing speed, and instincts. Pouncey seems like a natural corner where Dennis seems like a great athlete playing corner. That said, the attributes displayed in Pouncey's film weren't shown in Dennis's so I can't really determine if he posseses the same type of abilities.

4 hours ago, bigbird said:

Amen Mr Bird Man. If we would still take EJ Williams if he wanted in the boat after the numerous other WR commits we have then we should absolutely hold a spot open for Pouncey if he wants in at any point in time. He is a big time recruit you do not say no to!!!

I am like Bird I would take Pouncey over a Transfer this year.  This may not be our highest rated class but if we get these people it may be our most complete class in hitting all of our needs at every position

It would be one hell of a class. I’ve been impressed with the recruiting as of late!

I wish we had a excellent pass rusher ready to commit but we are filling our defense withathletes and I'm happy about that

Archived