Of the 27 Deadliest Mass Shooters, 26 of Them Had One Thing in Common

DKW 86

2 hours ago, alexava said:

Me either. In trucks in the parking lot absolutely. Never in class. 

I never said in class...again...read the post, not what you think is in the post. 

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, alexava said:

I am not against normal use guns. I have about 20 of them. Guns that have a legitimate purpose. Gang bangers in major cities have been killing each other for decades and sometimes innocents get caught up in the crossfire. These bangers will get these guns one way or another. They will continue to kill each other. I am not concerned for myself because I don’t associate with them to have a beef that makes me a target. I’m rarely to never in a place to be in a crossfire. The concern is with the crazy or very soon to turn crazy loading up with a gun designed for war, body armor, unlimited stacks of preloaded, high capacity magazines and no concern for their consequences. In the big picture of overall numbers or statistics it’s small. Until you find yourself hunkered down under a table praying some crazy bastard runs out of ammo, you probably won’t care. I’ve seen this enough that I do. 

Keep in mind that you have no legitimate reason to own 20 guns.

1 minute ago, The Freak said:

Keep in mind that you have no legitimate reason to own 20 guns.

And what law are you quoting here?

State or Federal? Or just Opinion/Reason?

23 minutes ago, DKW 86 said:

I never said in class...again...read the post, not what you think is in the post. 

If they were in back packs and I assumed back packs are worn over left shoulder........or both shoulders if you like that look......and are carried to class......like Alexava I assumed you meant class as well........I graduated 86...........not sure of your age maybe class of 77.........and depending on location I guess it would be common to see them in window racks...........not so likley Mobile but quite common in Citronelle where most deer hunting takes place.

3 hours ago, homersapien said:

It's funny how some try to find excuses for middle class white guy terrorism but have unconditional condemnation for Muslim terrorism.  You didn't see anyone speculating about the childhoods or mental conditions of the 9-11 terrorists - whether or not they've been on antidepressants, lacked a father figure, etc.

Terrorism is terrorism. 

Failing to recognize that has been the problem with our approach to domestic terrorism from the beginning.

The childhood/adulthood of the Muslim terrorists was trainings to be a terrorist. Their problem wasn’t the lack of a good father.

On 8/6/2019 at 11:18 AM, DKW 86 said:

FACT: We have 330M Weapons in America today. Last nite 330M Weapons and their owners did nothing wrong. Writing legislation conserning those guns will help, no doubt. But the real issue is likely to be one we will have half the nation denying even exists, yet when you look at the facts, it is very telling. 

FACT: Almost all of us on this board grew up in High School with guns in backpacks, in the cars, in the trucks in the parking lot. Guns freaking everywhere. No one was committing mass shootings. Guns are not the issue. Never have been. We have a cultural issue. Boys that grew up not having a clue what acting like a real man looks like and taking their clues from rap music, movies, and video games. 

There’s a lot of divorce is many countries. 

C67C05B1-5800-4085-B8C0-9E00F168949D.jpeg

532A27DE-955F-4324-9EC6-5072C58F6A0D.jpeg

20 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

There’s a lot of divorce is many countries. 

C67C05B1-5800-4085-B8C0-9E00F168949D.jpeg

532A27DE-955F-4324-9EC6-5072C58F6A0D.jpeg

If we were able to hold all things the same would be a fine example. I am actively saying we need background checks etc. I am saying control the magazines, etc, I am just saying that even at 250? The instance of gun violence is 250/330,000,000 or .0000076% 

4 minutes ago, DKW 86 said:

If we were able to hold all things the same would be a fine example. I am actively saying we need background checks etc. I am saying control the magazines, etc, I am just saying that even at 250? The instance of gun violence is 250/330,000,000 or .0000076% 

Then let’s not ban all guns— but automatic and semi-automatic military style weapons? Who had those when we were kids? Folks had pistols, shotguns and hunting rifles. 

35 minutes ago, toddc said:

The childhood/adulthood of the Muslim terrorists was trainings to be a terrorist. Their problem wasn’t the lack of a good father.

It's been well documented that extremists everywhere are overwhelmingly young men who have no family, social group, etc. to identify with.  American white supremacists, Nazis, Islamist extremists, Central American gangsters, you name it. Growing up fatherless is definitely consistent with the recipe. 

What is ridiculous is to suggest that we shouldn't simultaneously be working to restrict practically open access to deadly weapons while also working to address the issues that lead to the intent behind these events.

1 hour ago, DKW 86 said:

And what law are you quoting here?

State or Federal? Or just Opinion/Reason?

a. I'm just stirring the pudding.

b. My statement was in reference to the previous quote:

15 hours ago, alexava said:

The most leathal are the ones being used to kill 9 and shoot about twenty more people in 30 seconds. The ones with no other legitimate use. None

Put it another way.

If a house is on fire, are you going to investigate and identify the cause, provide training to whoever is responsible, and address any structural issues that might have contributed to it before you call the damn fire department ?

2 hours ago, toddc said:

So what exactly was their problem?  I agree that radical groups - and gangs - prey upon young men who feel alienated and who value the feelings of being part of a group.

Meanwhile, many of our children are learning white supremacy and white nationalism from the internet and we make it all too easy for them to conduct terrorist activities.

But terrorism is terrorism.    Unless you are identifying actionable solutions to stop it,  making excuses for these people is pointless. 

Young males in mass shooting and young male su icides....I keep thinking there is a relationship since most mass shootings strike me as  a form of "suicide by cop"......the ultimate form of "getting even with the world" or those who hurt them.

2 hours ago, DKW 86 said:

This argument is irrational.  

We could have 3 or 4 of these attacks per day and the percent of perpetrators to our total population is still going to be very small.  That ratio is meaningless. It doesn't prove or even demonstrate anything.

In fact, one could say the same thing to claim radical Islamist terrorism is not really as serious as we think.  There are 1.8 billion Muslims (24.1% of the world's population). The number of radical Islamic terrorists as a percent of Muslims is going to be very small.  But that doesn't mean it's not a significant issue - it most certainly is.

The only thing that counts is the number of incidents. How many do we want to allow before taking meaningful action? 

Or to put it another way, what is the minimum percentage of the population perpetrating these shootings required to prompt serious concern?

4 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Young males in mass shooting and young male su icides....I keep thinking there is a relationship since most mass shootings strike me as  a form of "suicide by cop"......the ultimate form of "getting even with the world" or those who hurt them.

Attention, control, sticking it to those who hurt them as you say or whatever they perceived to have gotten between them and what they think they deserved out of life...  "martyrdom", so maybe they can "matter" in death where they could not in life... 

It's way too easy to convince these people that there's a human enemy that is responsible for their problems. Which is why the divisive and hateful rhetoric out of Washington is so dangerous. And why the proliferation of unnecessarily deadly weapons is even more so. 

Just a thought......I agree about fatherless boys but there are also obviously fatherless girls as well girls with crappy mothers. Yet there seem to be no girl shooters. Your thoughts?

4 minutes ago, Tiger Sue said:

Just a thought......I agree about fatherless boys but there are also obviously fatherless girls as well girls with crappy mothers. Yet there seem to be no girl shooters. Your thoughts?

Thank goodness women aren't like men. 

4 minutes ago, Tiger Sue said:

Just a thought......I agree about fatherless boys but there are also obviously fatherless girls as well girls with crappy mothers. Yet there dseem to be no girl shooters. Your thoughts?

Well for one thing, males and females have different brain anatomy:

http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.1018.2610&rep=rep1&type=pdf

And then there's cultural conditioning on top of that.

15 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Attention, control, sticking it to those who hurt them as you say or whatever they perceived to have gotten between them and what they think they deserved out of life...  "martyrdom", so maybe they can "matter" in death where they could not in life... 

It's way too easy to convince these people that there's a human enemy that is responsible for their problems. Which is why the divisive and hateful rhetoric out of Washington is so dangerous. And why the proliferation of unnecessarily deadly weapons is even more so. 

Exactly! 

The constant repetition of such rhetoric as "invasion by caravans of immigrants" and allusions to colored people as unclean and willing to live in "rat infested areas" has a very different and profound effect on some people compared to most of us.  Especially when it comes from the POTUS and is repeated by  conservative media like Fox.

8 minutes ago, homersapien said:

Exactly! 

The constant repetition of such rhetoric as "invasion by caravans of immigrants" and allusions to colored people as unclean and willing to live in "rat infested areas" has a very different and profound effect on some people compared to most of us.  Especially when it comes from the POTUS and is repeated by  conservative media like Fox.

And so many who would say that POTUS isn't at all complicit in this because he's not explicitly racist or that he's not explicitly inciting violence will turn around and say that violent TV and video games somehow *do* lead to these outcomes. It's neither logical nor sane. 

2 hours ago, DKW 86 said:

Well the math you're presenting is misleading.  The instance of gun violence as it relates to mass shooting perpetrators is what you show.  The overall rate for gun violence is much higher.

In 2017, there were 4.43 deaths via gun for every 1,000 people.  That was worse than Afghanistan or Iraq.

https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsoda/2019/08/05/743579605/how-the-u-s-compares-to-other-countries-in-deaths-from-gun-violence

That same year, 73% of all homicides in this country were by the gun.  That's way higher than some significant countries like Canada or the U.K.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-41488081

11 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Well the math you're presenting is misleading.  The instance of gun violence as it relates to mass shooting perpetrators is what you show.  The overall rate for gun violence is much higher.

In 2017, there were 4.43 deaths via gun for every 1,000 people.  That was worse than Afghanistan or Iraq.

https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsoda/2019/08/05/743579605/how-the-u-s-compares-to-other-countries-in-deaths-from-gun-violence

That same year, 73% of all homicides in this country were by the gun.  That's way higher than some significant countries like Canada or the U.K.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-41488081

That's jaw-dropping. :blink:

Sometimes I think this country is like the proverbial frog in the pot of water that is gradually being heated to boiling.

39 minutes ago, homersapien said:

Exactly! 

Do you really think these young guys spend their days or evenings listening to news or interviews with political leaders?    You must be kidding or living in a fantasy world if you think Fox or DT is influencing the 18-23 year olds of this country.     

The really sad thing is that politically motivated adults are using these events for their own purposes.....while the young men of the country are spending their time playing GTA and other realistic games of mayhem to entertain themselves...and probably giving themselves some ideas to stoke their dark thoughts.  

5 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Do you really think these young guys spend their days or evenings listening to news or interviews with political leaders?    You must be kidding or living in a fantasy world if you think Fox or DT is influencing the 18-23 year olds of this country.     

The really sad thing is that politically motivated adults are using these events for their own purposes.....while the young men of the country are spending their time playing GTA and other realistic games of mayhem to entertain themselves...and probably giving themselves some ideas to stoke their dark thoughts.  

It's amazing that you dismiss the idea of kids being influenced by leaders despite having written manifestos in some cases echoing the same words, but you then accept the idea that video games are the problem despite research saying otherwise.

It's a great display of cognitive dissonance.

Archived