Ruby Rojas Joins Softball Staff

According to the Rounding Third facebook page - Mt. San Antonio College Head Coach Ruby Rojas has been named as an assistant coach at Auburn. Rojas spent the last eight seasons with the JUCO Powerhouse winning 276 games and two Cal JC State Championships. She replaces Annie Smith on the Tigers Staff.

Bio from the Mt. San Antonio web site...

In 2019 (seventh season), Rojas did what no other Mt. SAC Softball Coach and only one other softball coach in California Community College Coach has ever done, win back-to-back California Community College Athletic Association State Championships.  The Mounties finished the season with an amazing 44-5 overall record that marked Rojas' 6th season with 40 plus wins.  The team captured their fourth consecutive South Coast Conference (SCC) Championship with a perfect record of 22-0.  The Mt. SAC Softball Staff was named the National Fastpitch Coaches Association California Community College Staff of the Year for second consecutive season.  Rojas rewrote history by becoming the first coach in SCC history to win the SCC All-Sports Coach of the Year honor for the third consecutive season.  Rojas' crew cleaned up on the post season awards with 3 NFCA All-Americans, 3 3CFCA All-State selections, 8 All-SCC selections and 8 All-State Tournament selections.  Pitcher Briana Wheeler was the most decorated Mountie in 2019 season, capturing SCC and 3CFCA (state) Pitcher of the Year honors as well as earning NFCA All-American status and state championship most valuable pitcher honors.  

In her sixth season (2018) she led the Mounties to her first and the programs 5th CCCAA State Softball Championship, with a 41-7 overall record (10-2 conference record).  Rojas captured her third consecutive SCC Coach of the Year honor and also captured the SCC's All-Sports Women's Coach of the Year for the second time.  The Mt. SAC Staff captured their first ever NFCA California Community College Stafff of the Year honor.  The Mounties 2019 Team produced an NFCA All-American, 3 NFCA Academic All-Americans, 2 3CFCA All-State selections, 1 3CFCA selections, 3 3CFCA Academic All-State selections and 5 3CFCA All-State Tournament Team selections including Most Valuable Pitcher Briana Wheeler and Most Valuable Player Michelle Santiago.  Wheeler was also named the SCC Pitcher of the Year.   

In 2017 (5th season), Rojas led her team to the state championship tournament which was hosted by the Mounties.  The team had a magical run all the way to the state championship game, where the Mounties lost to champion Cypress College and finished with a record of 42-5.  Rojas captured her second consecutive South Coast Conference (SCC) Coach of the Year honor and captured her first SCC All-Sports Coach of the Year Honor.  The team produced 1 NFCA First Team All-American, 3 NFCA Scholar Athletes, 3 3CFCA All-State Players, 4 All-SoCal Players, 2 3CFCA All-State Academic Players and the SCC Player and Pitchers of the Year. 

In her fourth season (2016) at the helm of the mighty Mt. SAC Women's Softball Program, she led the Mounties to a 40-7 overall record and a first place in the South Coast Conference.  Rojas was named the 2016 South Coast Conference Coach of the Year.  The team produced State Pitcher of the Year, 1 NFCA All-American, NFCA Golden Shoe Award, 2 All-State Honorees, South Coast Conference Pitcher of the Year, 5 All-Conference Selections, 3 NFCA Academic All-Americans and lastly lowest ERA in the state with all freshmen.

The Mounties finished 2015 season (3rd season) with an overall record of 29-13 and garnered a number of individual playing honors including:

• 1 NFCA All-American
  • 1 State Player of the Year
  • 1 Mt. SAC Female Athlete of the Year
  • 1 All-South Region
  • 4 All-SCC Conference Players
  • 2 All-Academic State Team

In 2014 she led the Mounties to a 40-10 overall record and into the State Championship Game where the Mounties finished the season in second.  The 2014 team compiled the highest team batting average in the history of the CCCAA and Mt. SAC with an average of .428.  The team produced 3 National Fastpitch Coaches Association All-Americans, 4 All-State Selections, 6 All-Conference Selections and 1 Mt SAC Female Athlete of the Year.

In her first season (2013), she led the team to an undefeated South Coast Conference (SCC) Championship (21-0) and a trip to the Super Regional, where the team fell just short of the State Championships.  Rojas was named SCC and California Community College Fastpitch Coaches Association (3CFCA) Coach of the Year.  In addition, the Mt. SAC Softball Staff was honored as the National Fastpitch Coaches Association (NFCA) South Region Coaching Staff of the Year. 

The 2013 season garnered a number of individual playing honors including:

• 3 NFCA All-Americans
  • 4 All-State Honorees
  • 8 All-SCC Honorees
  • Emily Seidel being named SCC and SoCal Pitcher of the Year

A veteran member of the Venezuelan National Softball Team and the international softball scene, Rojas also serves the Softball Community as a World Baseball/Softball Confederation Ambassador and as an Ambassador for the U.S. State Departments' Empowering Women Through Sports Initiative.  In 2015, Rojas will serve as the Competition Manager for the Special Olympics World Games, which will be held here in Los Angeles.  

THE ROJAS RESUME

Education:

• University of Virginia, 2003
  • BA in Sociology/Women Studies
  • MA in Kinesiology and Physical Education with concentration in Sports Management (Cal State Long Beach)
  • Currently pursuing a PhD. in Sports Management
  •  

Coaching Resume

• Mt. SAC Head Coach (2013-present)
  • Mt. SAC Interim Head Coach (2013)
  • Mt. SAC Assistant Coach (2010-2012)
  • Orange Coast College Head Coach (2007-2010)
  • Orange Coast College Assistant Coach (2005-2006)

Playing Accolades:

• 2008 Olympian for Venezuelan National Team (5th Place)
  • 10 year Venezuelan National Team Veteran
  • Participated in 4 ISF Women's World Championships
  • Participated in 2 Pan American, 3 Central American and one ISF World Cup.
  • 1st Team All-ACC (2001, 2002, 2003)
  • 1st Team All-Region Team (2001) 
  • Easton All-American (2001)
  • ACC Rookie of the Year (2000)
  • University of Virginia MVP (2003)
  • 50th Anniversary All-ACC Team
  • Highest batting average in ACC (.401)
  • Top 25 highest batting average in NCAA Div 1.
  • Professional Athlete on the PFX Tour

Updated 07/09/19

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mt. SAC Softball Head Coach Ruby Rojas Accepts Position With Auburn

Ruby Rojas Farewell

(Walnut, CA) Mt. SAC Head Women's Softball Coach Ruby Rojas has accepted a position with Auburn University and will join the Tiger Staff of renowned head coach, Mickey Dean.

"This is an incredible opportunity to coach one of the top recruiting classes in the country, alongside a phenomenal coaching staff and in the toughest collegiate conference in the country," replied Rojas.  "It is with sadness that I leave Mt. SAC.  This is where I blossomed as a coach thanks to the incredible support of our administration and staff.  Mt. SAC will forever be engraved into my heart."

Since taking over the program eight years ago from Kelly Ford (Head Coach at Cal State Fullerton), Rojas has led the Mounties to an overall record of 276 wins and 53 losses (.839 winning percentage).  During that time, her teams have captured 2 state championships and 5 conference championships.  Rojas' players have racked up numerous accolades which includes 13 National Fastpitch Coaches Association (NFCA) All-Americans, 3 3CFCA State Pitchers of the Year and one 3CFCA Player of the Year.

Rojas herself has been named the South Coast Conference (SCC) All-Sports Coach of the Year three times ('19, '18, '17) and SCC Softball Coach of the Year five times ('19, '18, '17, '16, '13).  In 2019, she became only the 2nd coach in California Community College Softball history to win back-to-back softball titles and first coach to capture three-consecutive All-SCC Coach of the Year Honors.

"Ruby has been a special part of the Mt. SAC Athletics Program for nearly a decade," replied Mt. SAC Director of Athletics, Joe Jennum.  "She has guided her program to the pinnacle of her sport on the field and in the classroom.  Each year she has been at the helm of Mt. Softball, her work has contributed greatly to winning the past seven consecutive NATYCAA Cup Championships (state's premier overall athletics program).  I wish her continued success at Auburn.  They are getting a great individual and coach."

Rojas will look to help the Auburn program that is developing into an SEC powerhouse after the hiring of Coach Dean in September of 2017.

With a strong recommendation from Coach Rojas, Assistant Coach Alex Mascarenas has been named Interim Head Coach.  Mascarenas has been with the softball program since 2016 and has been instrumental in the last two state championships.  Last season, Mascarenas was named the Easton/NFCA California Community College Assistant Coach of the Year. 

Click the link below to view Coach Rojas' biography.
https://www.mtsacathletics.com/biographies_staff/biographies/rrojas?view=bio  

For more information, please contact the Mt. SAC Sports Information Office at 909.274.463

Looks like we might step up our recruiting in California...….a really good addition to the program... 

9 hours ago, slot canyon said:

(Walnut, CA) Mt. SAC Head Women's Softball Coach Ruby Rojas has accepted a position with Auburn University and will join the Tiger Staff of renowned head coach, Mickey Dean.

ahem.... "renowned?"

15 minutes ago, EagleEye67 said:

ahem.... "renowned?"

The further you get from home the more respected you are.....l.

12 hours ago, AU64 said:

Looks like we might step up our recruiting in California...….a really good addition to the program... 

As head of a JC program I don't think she is fishing from the same pond as the D1 programs but she has been there long enough to have connections and know the landscape, a plus for sure.  Also, I looked at some random rosters ( 2018, 2016 and 2014) of Lenti teams at DePaul,  and they were surprisingly populated with California players; 6, 6, and 4 respectively.  In each of those years there were 7 players from Ill. and 2 from Texas in 2016 and 2014.

Maybe topic title should be changed to something on the order of Softball Assistant Coaches or give Rojas her own topic.

12 hours ago, EagleEye67 said:

ahem.... "renowned?"

and this too..... "Rojas will look to help the Auburn program that is developing into an SEC powerhouse after the hiring of Coach Dean in September of 2017."

I certainly hope we ARE developing into an SEC powerhouse AGAIN. We were already there under Meyers for a few years...then the bottom fell through...and so far w/ Dean its been inconsistent. But it will be further evaluated once he gets at least 2-3 recruiting groups in to know if we ARE developing again...

14 hours ago, AU64 said:

The further you get from home the more respected you are.....l.

No man is a prophet in his home town.

https://www.softballamerica.com/stories/unrelenting-dream-leads-emily-carosone-italy-to-2020-olympics/

According to this article in Softball America Emily may not be with the Tigers the entire year. "Now that Italy's ticket is punched for Tokyo, Carosone is determined to continue to improve her game and ready herself for international softball's biggest stage next summer. Until then, her plan is to return to Italy in the months following the conclusion of the NPF season to continue to train with her national team, before returning to the United States to play in the NPF for the start of the 2020 campaign. Then, she will be off to Tokyo for the Olympics."

https://www.flosoftball.com/articles/6045079-how-ruby-rojas-makes-the-softball-world-a-better-place

pretty nice article from flosoftball  2017 article.  Looking at the last paragraph it appears she changed her mind about D1 coaching.

How Ruby Rojas Makes The Softball World A Better Place

5a0d01c14b472.png?width=1200&quality=80

Coach, teacher, student, advocate, defender, and player — just a few of the words to describe Ruby Rojas.

Individually, any one of the above could be considered a full-time job. For Mt. San Antonio softball coach Ruby Rojas, it’s just another day, one of the many hats she wears week to week.

“It can get pretty crazy busy sometimes,” Rojas said prior to a fall practice. “Obviously time management is an important aspect of it. But I think if you believe in what you are doing and you are passionate about what you doing, you don’t really look at it as things you have to do but rather things you want to do.”

That passion is strong, regardless of what hat Rojas is wearing at any given particular time.

The Coach

As a coach, Rojas has been nothing short of exceptional since taking over the Mounties program in 2013. In her first season, she went undefeated in conference play. Overall, in five seasons, she has recorded a 191-41 record — a .823 winning percentage.

In 2017, Mt. San Antonio went 42-5, which earned Rojas both the South Coast Conference Softball Coach of the Year, as well as the South Coast Conference All-Sports Coach of the Year. Her 2017 squad advanced to the Super Regional Finals.

“I believe that I am a teacher first, and that fits in with coaching,” Rojas said. “Coaching is teaching and teaching is coaching. Whether on the field or in the classroom, you are always looking to get the most out of your students.”

The Student & The Teacher

Rojas would know something about teaching, too. She is a full-time professor of Kinesiology at Mt. San Antonio. As a student, she earned a bachelor’s degree in sociology and a master’s degree in sports management. She is currently completing her Ph.D. in sports management.

“I’m having a lot of fun coaching right now but I eventually want to move into administration, perhaps become an athletic director," she said. "Earning a master’s and a doctorate is all part of that process, but I would have probably done it anyways. I love the academic world and believe you should always be learning.”

Rojas wears the role of teacher outside of Mt. San Antonio classrooms. In the offseason, she is a sought-after instructor at coaching clinics around the world. A native of Venezuela and bilingual, she is in high demand as a clinic instructor and speaker in South America and the Caribbean.

“Summers can get pretty hectic,” Rojas said. “I get a lot of calls to participate in coaching clinics both stateside and internationally.”

The Advocate

As if being a coach, student, and teacher was not enough to stay busy, Rojas is also a leading advocate and defender of softball.   

A few years back, the International Olympic Committee (IOC) voted to drop several sports from the Olympic program, including softball and baseball. The International Softball Federation named Rojas as one of its Softball Ambassadors to fight for reinstatement — a role she took to heart.

“I owe everything I am to the game of softball,” Rojas said. “Even the thought of dropping softball from the Games would have been devastating. Fortunately, both softball and baseball are rapidly growing sports in the Far East and the success of softball at the Beijing Games may have helped save the sport.”

That advocacy is why she rarely turns down opportunities to appear at clinics. 

“It’s not too dramatic to say the game made me the person I am today,” Rojas said. “It has given me everything that I have, so I also feel a responsibility to always try to give back, whether is coaching at a kids clinic and speaking to a group of international coaches.”

The Player

Until recently, Rojas was still a player. The former University of Virginia star was a part of the Venezuelan national team since 1999. 

“Ever since it became an Olympic sport, I wanted to play in the Games,” she said. “We were a bunch of young kids and we tried but failed to qualify in 2000 and 2004 but failed. In 2008, we qualified and the dream became a reality. It was an incredible journey for all of us. We started as 14- and 15-year-old kids with a dream and although it took a decade that dream became a reality.”

Rojas says that Olympic experience is something she will never forget. 

“It really hit home the first time I walked around the Olympic Village,” she noted. “Seeing the greatest athletes in the world like Kobe, LeBron, and the Williams sisters in one place made you realize how big of a deal it was. Walking in the Opening Ceremonies was an experience I will never forget.”

Rojas remained a part of the Venezuelan National Team for more than 15 years before stepping off the field in 2013.

Rojas’ love for the game is deep-seated. Her father was a noted fast pitch player and her native country passionate about baseball and softball. As a child, she remembered playing the game despite a lack of equipment.  

“We would take a rock and wrap socks around it and that would be our ball. Broom handles or any stick became our bats,” Rojas said. “But it didn’t matter, we just wanted to play the game and we would play every chance we could.”

As for the future, Rojas says she is not necessarily looking to move from the junior college level but wouldn’t rule it totally out either. 

“I love my job, I love teaching, and I love our players,” she said.  “Coaching at the DI level is a different animal. Not sure I would want to give everything else up to do that job. But who knows what the future holds for anyone?”

I've looked on the school website and on their Wiki page and I can't find any info about what division Mt. San Antonio College is in as far as the NJCAA.  D1, D2 ....?

Anyone know?  Be interesting to know level of athletes she has been working with.  I know California softball players are pretty good, but it would be nice to know.

2 hours ago, saminbama said:

I've looked on the school website and on their Wiki page and I can't find any info about what division Mt. San Antonio College is in as far as the NJCAA.  D1, D2 ....?

Anyone know?  Be interesting to know level of athletes she has been working with.  I know California softball players are pretty good, but it would be nice to know.

First article shows South Coast Conference.  A quick google search says its part of the California Community College Athletic Association with its members based primarily in the Los Angeles area. 

Found this on the website of the Citrus College Owls.  I guess this answers my question.  All the JC's in California apparently are D3.  My reasoning behind my question is how much did she have to coach her players and if they are all D3, I will say quite a lot.  Her success was attributed to hard work with probably a fairly low budget.  CMD may have found a diamond.

Q. Can I receive an athletic scholarship at a California community college?
A. No. Scholarships and financial inducements for athletic participation are not permitted within the rules governing California community colleges. This includes but is not limited to:
- Cash or personal loans
- Special discounts or payment arrangements on loans
- Free use of an automobile
- A gift of money or other tangible items (Clothes, jewelry, books, gas, food, etc.)
- Transportation
- Free or reduced costs for housing arrangements
- Telephone privileges

Q. Does Citrus College provide housing ?
A. The Citrus College Athletic Department does not provide housing for prospective student-athletes as it is prohibited by the California Community College Athletic Association (CCCAA), in Bylaw 2.11 Important: The student-athlete is responsible for all housing expenses and will not get any financial support from staff or employees of Citrus College. Living on your own can be very expensive, and most times financial aide alone will not cover it. Plan accordingly.

This was a release from the South Coast Conference May 31, 2019.  I have deleted some of the info regarding Fernley.    https://southcoast.prestosports.com/general/2018-19/releases/20190531ojzjdd

Mt. SAC Softball's Rojas 3-Peats, ECC Baseball's Fernley 1st Timer For 2018-19 SCC Coaches of the Year

Mt. SAC's Ruby Rojas wins the SCC Women's Sports Coach of the Year for the third straight season.
Mt. SAC's Ruby Rojas wins the SCC Women's Sports Coach of the Year for the third straight season.

Mt. San Antonio College softball's Ruby Rojas and El Camino baseball's Nate Fernley are the 2018-2019 South Coast Conference All Sports Coaches of the Year. For Rojas, she became the first person to win SCC Women's Coach of the Year for a third consecutive season while Fernley is a first time winner as Men's Coach of the Year. The awards were chosen via private ballot by SCC athletic directors this week as the honors reflect the top coach for all sports for each gender. 

Rojas matched the only other 3-year run by any coach first accomplished by El Camino football's John Featherstone, who earned the Men's Coach of the Year in 1988-89, 1989-90 and 1990-91. Football coaches and other non-hosted SCC sport coaches are no longer considered for the award although Featherstone won all three times after the South Coast stopped hosting the sport in 1987. 

Rojas directed the Mounties to their second straight CCCAA state title after also guiding Mt. SAC to an undefeated 22-0 mark for the program's fourth conference title in a row. Rojas herself was named SCC Softball Coach of the Year for a fourth straight season. Rojas was an Olympic player for Venezuela only 11 years ago after also being an All-ACC star at the University of Virginia. In the past three years, her teams have an impressive 127-17 combined winning record (.882 win percentage) and three trips to the state championship game. During this amazing run of success, Rojas has a current 25-game conference win streak.

Among the players Rojas coached were 3CFCA State SoCal Pitcher of the Year in Briana Wheeler, who was also State Tournament Pitcher of the Year for the second consecutive year. Third baseman Ciera Granado was named tourney MVP while Wheeler, first baseman Vicky Gutierrez and outfielder Ally Longtree were each selected NFCA All-Americans. Rojas and her assistant coaching staff were named the National Fastpitch Coaches Association (NFCA) Cal JC National Coaching Staff of the Year.

Looking at her twitter page it appears she is on her way today to her new job.  Also seems to have a good bond with her players.  

Archived