Ruby Rojas Joins Softball Staff

Wonder how Dean found her? That's a tough connection when she has been on the west coast all these years and Dean is a east coast coach most of his career. Wonder if someone recommended her?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, steeleagle said:

Wonder how Dean found her? That's a tough connection when she has been on the west coast all these years and Dean is a east coast coach most of his career. Wonder if someone recommended her?

29 minutes ago, OlderWhiskey said:

She played at Virginia.

During the time she played at Virginia (2000-2003) Dean was an assistant at Akron then Indiana.  However, she later played for some 15 years on the Venezuelan national team and Dean was the team pitching coach during 2002-2008 which would overlap with her playing time there.  I am speculating they may have started an acquaintance at that time.  I also wondered what the connection might have been and presume the story will be told after she actually arrives at her new job.  They may well have remained in contact at some coaches meetings/organizations over the years.  

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting that school has now started at Auburn and they can't even get the softball webpage updated with the new staff members and players on the roster. 

46 minutes ago, wmsau said:

Interesting that school has now started at Auburn and they can't even get the softball webpage updated with the new staff members and players on the roster. 

Its because of the 10% athletic department cost cutting effort....:-\

Former Olympian joins Dean's softball coaching staff

ByPHILLIP MARSHALL 
9390517.jpg?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offs
Mickey Dean will have two new assistants on his softball staff. (Photo: Auburn University)

AUBURN, Alabama – Former Olympian and All-ACC infielder Ruby Rojas has joined Auburn’s softball coaching staff, head coach Mickey Dean confirmed on Thursday.

Rojas spent the past six seasons the head coach at Mt. San Antonio College in Walnut, Calif. Her teams won back-to-back California Community College Athletic Association state championships in 2017 and 2018. She replaces Annie Smith, who plans to move to Texas to be near her mother,who is having health problems.

Rojas was an All-ACC infielder at Virginia in 2003 and led the league in hitting with a .401 batting average. She will coach infielders at Auburn. Because her mother is a native of Venezuela, she was eligible to play for the national Venezuelan national team and helped lead the way to an Olympic berth and fifth-place finish in 2008. It was there that she came to know Dean, who was the pitching coach from 2000-2007.

“She was a great player and she is a really good coach," Dean said. "She knows me and knows what I’m looking for. We are in the same circles as far as coaching philosophy. She’s really good, and she will relate to the players really well."

Rojas’ connections in California, a recruiting hotbed for programs throughout college softball, will be valuable, Dean said. She played high school and travel softball in the state.

“That’s a key,”Dean said. “She has really good connections and is highly thought of there.”

Rojas joins Hall of Fame coach and former national Coach of the Year Eugene Lenti, who replaced Eddie Ketelhut as hitting coach, on Dean’s third Auburn staff. Former Auburn All-American Emily Carosone remains as a volunteer coach.

The Tigers begin fall practice on Sept. 10. Their fall exhibition schedule will include games at Georgia Tech on Oct. 11 and at home against AUM on Oct. 18. They will play four games against junior college teams at Jane B. Moore Field – Georgia Gwinnett on Sept. 29, Pensacola State on Oct. 5, Snead State on Oct. 5, defending junior college national champion Chipola on Oct. 6 and Wallace State-Hanceville on Oct. 6

5COMMENTS

Two junior college transfers, outfielder Jadia Jones from Chipola and left-handed pitcher Bailee Dempsey from Wallace-Dothan have joined the Auburn team.

Jones, who played at Central High School in Phenix City, hit .452 and stole 16 bases in limited action for Chipola last season. Dempsey, from Ashland, Alabama, hit .398 for Wallace-Dothan last season and was 2-0 in the circle. She is expected to concentrate on pitching at Auburn.

Phillips article would leave you to believe she was able to play on the Venezuela Olympic team due to her mother being a native of that country.  If I am not mistaken, Coach Rojas was born in Venezuela.  Not that it makes any difference but just to set the record straight.  I believe both of these assistant coach hires represent an upgrade in credentials at the very least.  From what I have seen/read about Rojas, she seems to be a very good communicator and motivator.  Hope all goes well for Annie Smith and her mom.

I note we've also picked up a couple of transfers under the radar.  Chipola seems to have wiped their stats page, but Jones hit .452  over 37 games, as Chipola went 52-5 last year.

1 hour ago, slot canyon said:

22 hours ago

Can I just say that Auburn is ABSOLUTELY gorgeous and the people are super nice and welcoming

Tweet from coach Rojas today.

Seems like a great person/coach. She has a vast experience in the international and college softball areas. There is actually a lot on her as a player and a coach. And her connections to california and the east coast (Played college at UVA) hopefully will help in recruiting.

On 8/22/2019 at 3:23 PM, slot canyon said:

Former Olympian joins Dean's softball coaching staff

ByPHILLIP MARSHALL 
9390517.jpg?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offs
Mickey Dean will have two new assistants on his softball staff. (Photo: Auburn University)

AUBURN, Alabama – Former Olympian and All-ACC infielder Ruby Rojas has joined Auburn’s softball coaching staff, head coach Mickey Dean confirmed on Thursday.

Rojas spent the past six seasons the head coach at Mt. San Antonio College in Walnut, Calif. Her teams won back-to-back California Community College Athletic Association state championships in 2017 and 2018. She replaces Annie Smith, who plans to move to Texas to be near her mother,who is having health problems.

Rojas was an All-ACC infielder at Virginia in 2003 and led the league in hitting with a .401 batting average. She will coach infielders at Auburn. Because her mother is a native of Venezuela, she was eligible to play for the national Venezuelan national team and helped lead the way to an Olympic berth and fifth-place finish in 2008. It was there that she came to know Dean, who was the pitching coach from 2000-2007.

“She was a great player and she is a really good coach," Dean said. "She knows me and knows what I’m looking for. We are in the same circles as far as coaching philosophy. She’s really good, and she will relate to the players really well."

Rojas’ connections in California, a recruiting hotbed for programs throughout college softball, will be valuable, Dean said. She played high school and travel softball in the state.

“That’s a key,”Dean said. “She has really good connections and is highly thought of there.”

Rojas joins Hall of Fame coach and former national Coach of the Year Eugene Lenti, who replaced Eddie Ketelhut as hitting coach, on Dean’s third Auburn staff. Former Auburn All-American Emily Carosone remains as a volunteer coach.

The Tigers begin fall practice on Sept. 10. Their fall exhibition schedule will include games at Georgia Tech on Oct. 11 and at home against AUM on Oct. 18. They will play four games against junior college teams at Jane B. Moore Field – Georgia Gwinnett on Sept. 29, Pensacola State on Oct. 5, Snead State on Oct. 5, defending junior college national champion Chipola on Oct. 6 and Wallace State-Hanceville on Oct. 6

5COMMENTS

Two junior college transfers, outfielder Jadia Jones from Chipola and left-handed pitcher Bailee Dempsey from Wallace-Dothan have joined the Auburn team.

Jones, who played at Central High School in Phenix City, hit .452 and stole 16 bases in limited action for Chipola last season. Dempsey, from Ashland, Alabama, hit .398 for Wallace-Dothan last season and was 2-0 in the circle. She is expected to concentrate on pitching at Auburn.

One of the statements that stand out the most to me was “she will relate to the players really well”. This is huge for the program in all areas.

1 hour ago, EagleEye67 said:

Well, CMD has done well in assembling an All-Star coaching staff.   Let's see how it works!    *fingers crossed*

He's still got to find those top level players out there too in his next recruiting class or 2....Right now we don't have enough of them to be in the upper level of the SEC. And with all new Assistants it will take time to work on players making positive improvements...

19 minutes ago, slot canyon said:

EDGe1xTXUAAhaEv.jpg:large

Well Golf's going to be busy for a while. If we don't hear from in a couple days someone should check on him.

8 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

I'm starting to love softball more then golf......:wub:

I always knew you were stuck on yourself.

https://auburntigers.com/news/2019/8/30/rubilena-rojas-named-auburn-softball-assistant-coach.aspx

Ruby Rojas

Softball

Rubilena Rojas Named Auburn Softball Assistant Coach

AUBURN, Ala. — Rubilena (Rubi-len-a) "Ruby" Rojas has been tabbed as an assistant coach for the Auburn softball program, head coach Mickey Dean announced.

"(Ruby) has great experience not only as a player, but also as a coach," Dean said. "She's from California and came to the East Coast to play at Virginia and was an infielder on a very good team at Virginia.

"I coached her for six years with the Venezuelan national team. She was our mainstay at third base and batted in the middle of our order – either the three, four or five. She has a lot of college and international experience."

Rojas, a five-time Sun Coast Conference Coach of the Year, has spent the last seven years as the head softball coach at Mt. San Antonio College in Walnut, California prior to a two-year stint as an assistant coach at Mt. SAC. She guided her team to the last two California Community College Athletic Association softball state championships, while accumulating a 276-53 overall record as head coach at the school.

Additionally, Rojas and her coaching staff were a three-time NFCA California Junior College Coach Staff of the Year selection, which include the last two seasons.

"Honestly, I can't believe this," Rojas said. "I'm speechless to have the opportunity to go to a top SEC school and able to be a part of an amazing coaching staff. I'm just ecstatic for this opportunity."

A recipient of SCC Women's All Sports Coach of the Year each of the last three years, Rojas arrived at Mt. SAC after a nearly four-year stay on the coaching staff at Orange Coach College in Orange County, California.

Rojas reunites with Dean, who coached the Venezuelan national team (2002-08) while she was a player on the team.

Internationally, Rojas participated in the 2008 Beijing Olympics — finishing seventh in the World — during a 15-year playing career with the Venezuelan national team. She won three gold medals in the ISF Central American Games (2002, 2006 and 2010) and silver medal in the ISF Pan American Games (2007). She was a member of the ISF Canada Cup All-Tournament team in 2012.

"I'm extremely grateful and blessed," Rojas said. "I, truthfully, never expected (to be reunited with Coach Dean). It's just funny how things come full circle; I played for him 20 years ago on the Venezuelan national team, then went off on my own coaching career at Mt. SAC. He gave me a call and the rest is history."

Rojas was a three-time first-team All-ACC selection (2001-2003) while at the University of Virginia, where she led the conference with a .401 batting average in 2001. She was the ACC's Rookie of the Year in 2000 and a two-time first-team All-ACC Tournament team selection. She was also a member of the 50th Anniversary All-ACC team. She won Virginia's M.V.P. Award in 2003.

A bit off topic but related:

Announced that Annie Smith has been added as volunteer assistant to the Arkansas Razorback staff.

In a statement included in the Razorbacks' press release announcing her hiring, Smith said, “I am very thankful for the opportunity to join Coach Deifel and her staff at the University of Arkansas. I am looking forward to calling Fayetteville home, continuing to coach in the SEC, while being closer to my parents. I cannot wait to get started. Wooo Pig!”

On 8/30/2019 at 4:33 PM, slot canyon said:

https://auburntigers.com/news/2019/8/30/rubilena-rojas-named-auburn-softball-assistant-coach.aspx

Ruby Rojas

Softball

Rubilena Rojas Named Auburn Softball Assistant Coach

AUBURN, Ala. — Rubilena (Rubi-len-a) "Ruby" Rojas has been tabbed as an assistant coach for the Auburn softball program, head coach Mickey Dean announced.

"(Ruby) has great experience not only as a player, but also as a coach," Dean said. "She's from California and came to the East Coast to play at Virginia and was an infielder on a very good team at Virginia.

"I coached her for six years with the Venezuelan national team. She was our mainstay at third base and batted in the middle of our order – either the three, four or five. She has a lot of college and international experience."

Rojas, a five-time Sun Coast Conference Coach of the Year, has spent the last seven years as the head softball coach at Mt. San Antonio College in Walnut, California prior to a two-year stint as an assistant coach at Mt. SAC. She guided her team to the last two California Community College Athletic Association softball state championships, while accumulating a 276-53 overall record as head coach at the school.

Additionally, Rojas and her coaching staff were a three-time NFCA California Junior College Coach Staff of the Year selection, which include the last two seasons.

"Honestly, I can't believe this," Rojas said. "I'm speechless to have the opportunity to go to a top SEC school and able to be a part of an amazing coaching staff. I'm just ecstatic for this opportunity."

A recipient of SCC Women's All Sports Coach of the Year each of the last three years, Rojas arrived at Mt. SAC after a nearly four-year stay on the coaching staff at Orange Coach College in Orange County, California.

Rojas reunites with Dean, who coached the Venezuelan national team (2002-08) while she was a player on the team.

Internationally, Rojas participated in the 2008 Beijing Olympics — finishing seventh in the World — during a 15-year playing career with the Venezuelan national team. She won three gold medals in the ISF Central American Games (2002, 2006 and 2010) and silver medal in the ISF Pan American Games (2007). She was a member of the ISF Canada Cup All-Tournament team in 2012.

"I'm extremely grateful and blessed," Rojas said. "I, truthfully, never expected (to be reunited with Coach Dean). It's just funny how things come full circle; I played for him 20 years ago on the Venezuelan national team, then went off on my own coaching career at Mt. SAC. He gave me a call and the rest is history."

Rojas was a three-time first-team All-ACC selection (2001-2003) while at the University of Virginia, where she led the conference with a .401 batting average in 2001. She was the ACC's Rookie of the Year in 2000 and a two-time first-team All-ACC Tournament team selection. She was also a member of the 50th Anniversary All-ACC team. She won Virginia's M.V.P. Award in 2003.

Just wondering...what kind of salary does an assistant softball coach make these days? I assume Ms. Rojas got a raise coming all the way from Cali where she was a HC....

Here's a posting for a position at a junior college in California for a swimming and diving coach along with a kinesiology professor.  I can imagine a softball coach makes a similar salary and I believe Coach Rojas taught that course.   Plus comparing the cost of living between California and Alabama, she could have made a lateral move and still be ahead.  Plus, she is now at a Power 5 four year college which will possibly help her in the future.

https://www.cccaasports.org/services/employ-current
Kinesiology  Instructor/Head Coach Swim & Dive and Women's Water Polo - Full-time, Tenure-track-College of Marin

Salary:
$65,616.00 - $105,403.00
Post Date    August 26, 2019

On 9/2/2019 at 11:52 AM, steeleagle said:

Just wondering...what kind of salary does an assistant softball coach make these days? I assume Ms. Rojas got a raise coming all the way from Cali where she was a HC....

Recently I tired again to get a read on some of the softball assistant coaches salaries, mainly by searching the topic for a number of SEC schools.  Not a lot of success.  Seems in all the sports, there is a wide gap between head coach salaries and assistants.  One very public  softball HC and assistant salaries was at Oklahoma.  I know a 2017 article indicated Pattie Gasso got a contract in excess of $800,000.  Her longtime associate HC/pitching coach, M. Lombardi got a bump to $185,000 (some thought this was in part due to possible contact by AU).  Of course she left last year for the HC job at Oregon.  The other Oklahoma assistant J.T. Gasso was quoted as making around $125,000.   A search done on Mississippi State SB assistants (updated 2018) indicated around $46,000 on the high end.  If you took a % of salary of Lombardi vs Gasso you would get around 22% for assistant compared to HC.  This type of approach would give AU assistants something in the neighborhood of $55,000.  I hope we are able to pay something in the higher end of what saminbama found in the above post.  I don't know if there are methods to help "supplement" the salary of an assistant.  A private correspondence I had with someone softball connected indicated that in some rare instances providers of softball equipment may be able to provide some "kick back" that the HC may use to enhance salaries for assistants.  I do not know if this is the case at AU. Also don't know if they can enhance income from softball camps.   So after all this ramble, I really don't know what our SB assistant coaches make or how their compensation compares with other programs. Clearly the sport is seeing an increase in popularity and the higher profile head coaches are able to get well paid at highly regarded programs.  I hope the assistants are likewise able to benefit.

Archived