Ruby Rojas Joins Softball Staff

Hope our new coaches are good recruiters as evidently we only added three new players according to the most recent update of the website. I know we have others, however, it hasn't been updated in more than a week and still the only three showing were added then. Guess not having a Operations person now has slowed all aspects of coordination. Just being humorous with all the changes. Just don't understand the delay of information as a fan. Wishing all a great rest of the week.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, wmsau said:

Hope our new coaches are good recruiters as evidently we only added three new players according to the most recent update of the website. I know we have others, however, it hasn't been updated in more than a week and still the only three showing were added then. Guess not having a Operations person now has slowed all aspects of coordination. Just being humorous with all the changes. Just don't understand the delay of information as a fan. Wishing all a great rest of the week.

That list on the AU Athletic site is a work in progress.  There are 11 new players.  They are listed on my post from July27 under the topic "Softball Fall Ball 2019".

Regarding the discussion regarding salaries I did find a printed reference regarding University of Maryland softball staff from 2017.

Julie Wright - (SOFTBALL) - $160,000

? Assistant - Lisa Carey - $61,000
? Assistant - Lisa Norris - $57,000

Total Softball Coach's Salaries: $278,000 / Total Assistant Salaries: $118,000 / Avg. Assistant Salaries: $59,000

As an aside,The HC,  Julie Wright, was let go about a month ago and as of yesterday they did not have a new coach.

On 9/5/2019 at 2:11 PM, slot canyon said:

Avg. Assistant Salaries: $59,000

That's not very gaudy. I'd hope there are some financial perks associated with the position. Assistant coaching at the college level isn't an 8 hour a day, 40 hour week job.

3 hours ago, Mikey said:

That's not very gaudy. I'd hope there are some financial perks associated with the position. Assistant coaching at the college level isn't an 8 hour a day, 40 hour week job.

That of course was at Maryland and I have since been informed that the salary quoted for the prior HC was actually more like $100,000.  There was another instructor staff member with the same name (Julie Wright) and her salary had been incorrectly put instead of the softball Julie Wright.

Regarding Salaries, I did find where Arkansas assistant SB coaches were compensated at $88,205 and $70,700 in FY 2018.

Regarding the La Tech coach going to Maryland I read a post on Robo Coach forum that La Tech graduated their 2 starting pitchers and their entire infield as well as best hitter.  He may not have a good situation at Maryland but he will have a grace period.

1 hour ago, slot canyon said:

Regarding Salaries, I did find where Arkansas assistant SB coaches were compensated at $88,205 and $70,700 in FY 2018.

That's more like it! :)

1 hour ago, slot canyon said:

Regarding the La Tech coach going to Maryland I read a post on Robo Coach forum that La Tech graduated their 2 starting pitchers and their entire infield as well as best hitter.  He may not have a good situation at Maryland but he will have a grace period.

Yeah those salaries are more in line with what I would think a SEC assistant would make.  Montgomery picked a great time to leave.

• 2 months later...

Really wonder how long Coach Rojas will be with our program given that her family and husband are in California.  

from her Twitter page Dec. 7.

You know what I am most excited about right now??? Going home and spending a month with my husband and family. They are who matter right now

9 hours ago, slot canyon said:

Really wonder how long Coach Rojas will be with our program given that her family and husband are in California.  

from her Twitter page Dec. 7.

You know what I am most excited about right now??? Going home and spending a month with my husband and family. They are who matter right now

Wow! That could certainly be a concern. Surely, she and Coach dean discussed this before she was hired here?

8 minutes ago, OlderWhiskey said:

What about Lenti?  Isn't his wife back in Chicago?  Probably not as much of an issue with him, being older.

Sign me up for that, lol.

11 hours ago, Mikey said:

Wow! That could certainly be a concern. Surely, she and Coach dean discussed this before she was hired here?

I would hope so.  A previous article from a few years ago  in this thread indicated she was not convinced she wanted a D1 job. Now suspect she would like to move up the ladder in the coaching profession.  I would like her to stay around for a few years at least.  When I go to some games this next season, I plan to ask some of the parents about how their daughters like the coaching staff to see what kind of feed back I get.

1 hour ago, OlderWhiskey said:

What about Lenti?  Isn't his wife back in Chicago?  Probably not as much of an issue with him, being older.

You know, I haven't even heard that CMD has moved his family to AU.  When he took the job I believe his wife was staying back in VA so daughter could finish at her high school.  

On 9/12/2019 at 11:47 AM, Mikey said:

Considering salaries in some sports, these are kind of shameful. I know football is the cash cow but to have young male coaches....give or take 30 years old making $250+ and these mostly female coaches making peanuts.   Surprised any major university could get away with this.  :dunno:

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, slot canyon said:

There is a video interview with Coach Rojas on the Auburn Athletics Softball site.

It was a great interview. Enjoyed it

• 2 weeks later...

Archived