2020 Football Schedule

Auburn Kev

2 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Because if you schedule it back before the rotation is over in 2025 you have to change other teams' schedules to for home & road game number played balance in a season. The whole reason the SEC had it done in 2014 was it was only 1 game change needed to balance every other team with 4 home & 4 away conference games in the season. Any other solution would have had multiple games changing to back to back home or road games for teams.

I am not sure where our communication is breaking down.  There would be no changes to other teams in my scenario. For 1 season AU would have 1 less home game, playing UGA away.  The next season we would also play UGA away (3 home/5 away).  In the 3rd season AU would play UGA at home thus getting back on the old home/away schedule.  This would have zero effect on other teams and would not require any other shuffling of teams.  You're stuck on the 4 home/4 away argument which contradicts what I and others are discussing.  You could also flip my scenario where UGA played at AU twice, I can't remember who lost the home game when the change occurred.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That schedule is gorgeous relatively speaking 

1. UGA has our ass, anywhere and everywhere. LSU doesnt 

2. Worthwhile games to watch in November every year now 

3. We just have to get past UGA now and November’s will feel like more of a certain thing, as far as title chases go 

4. We don’t have to play UGA in November 

I really can’t stress how important it was we do whatever to not have to play them during that month

Someone on another board said that this is the first time in 9 years an SEC team has had to play LSU and Alabama back to back. No idea if that is true and I don't have time to look it up, but it seemed like something cool to pass on... hahaha

12 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

That schedule is gorgeous relatively speaking 

1. UGA has our ass, anywhere and everywhere. LSU doesnt 

2. Worthwhile games to watch in November every year now 

3. We just have to get past UGA now and November’s will feel like more of a certain thing, as far as title chases go 

4. We don’t have to play UGA in November 

I really can’t stress how important it was we do whatever to not have to play them during that month

LSU has been much more beatable than UGA and it seems it will be that way for the foreseeable future. 

2 hours ago, TigerFanAU said:

I hope those that complained about Amen Corner being "too hard" are happy now. LSU and Bama within a week. Absolutely ridiculous moving the DSOR.

1) The DSOR moving has more to do with a potential SEC Title rematch than anything.  Don't play the same team twice in a few weeks this way.

2) This is wayyyy better for conference intrigue.  UGA is usually done with East play by early November.  There's no drama in that.  Their new schedule has them playing 5 straight East opponents to end their SEC schedule.

Meanwhile, the West will come down to the final few weeks now too with LSU/AU/A&M/Bama all having at least two big November games against one or the other.  That's gonna be fun as hell from a fan's perspective.

1 hour ago, dyehardfanAU said:

There would be no changes to other teams in my scenario

@dyehardfanAU Yes. I worded it poorly

This would have zero effect on other teams and would not require any other shuffling of teams. 

True but my point I did a crap job of explaining is its creates a yearly imbalance for AU & UGA without changing other teams' schedules also. Without making other changes from the year you make the change (2021 is the earliest you can do it) through 2025 AU & UGA would both have a 3/5 or 5/3 Home/road schedule ratio every year til the rotation ends in 2025 if you make the change you are suggesting.  AU would be playing both it's SEC East opponents at home every even year (2022: UGA & Mizzou, 2024: UGA & Florida) & on the road in odd years (2023  @UGA & @Vandy, 2025: @ UGA & @ Tennessee) without other changes. The same goes for UGA with it's SEC West opponents. There's no way in the world AU & UGA would accept playing 2 more road than home games every other year & no way in the world every other team would accept AU & UGA having 2 more home than road games every other year either.

You're stuck on the 4 home/4 away argument which contradicts what I and others are discussing.

It's not contradictory. It's the center point & how to at best measure having a balanced home & away schedule in terms of number & that's the only fair way to schedule for teams & is the way the SEC office sees it.

I can't remember who lost the home game when the change occurred.

UGA did

20 minutes ago, ellitor said:

@dyehardfanAU Yes. I worded it poorly

True but my point I did a crap job of explaining is its creates a yearly imbalance for AU & UGA without changing other teams' schedules also. Without making other changes from the year you make the change (2021 is the earliest you can do it) through 2025 AU & UGA would both have a 3/5 or 5/3 Home/road schedule ratio every year til the rotation ends in 2025 if you make the change you are suggesting.  AU would be playing both it's SEC East opponents at home every even year (2022: UGA & Mizzou, 2024: UGA & Florida) & on the road in odd years (2023  @UGA & @Vandy, 2025: @ UGA & @ Tennessee) without other changes. The same goes for UGA with it's SEC West opponents. There's no way in the world AU & UGA would accept playing 2 more road than home games every other year & no way in the world every other team would accept AU & UGA having 2 more home than road games every other year either.

It's not contradictory. It's the center point & how to at best measure having a balanced home & away schedule in terms of number & that's the only fair way to schedule for teams & is the way the SEC office sees it.

UGA did

Im picking up what you're throwing down now.  Thank you for bearing with me. 

10 minutes ago, dyehardfanAU said:

Im picking up what you're throwing down now.  Thank you for bearing with me. 

Are you CaddilacAURBU2007?

4 hours ago, Win4AU said:

Also Georgia away and TaMu at home in back to back weeks will be tough.

Life is supposed to be tough in the toughest neighborhood.

5 minutes ago, dyehardfanAU said:

Not that I know of.

Lol thanks. Someone on 247 shares your um charisma. 

Absolute idiocy to change the UGA game instead of holding out until 2025 to try and fix the scheduling issue. At least we had a cupcake in between UGA and Bama. Now we have to play LSU and Bama back-to-back with no cupcake in between. Then if we somehow survive those 2 games and make it to the SECCG then we'll likely get UGA.

The main reason we had a chance to make the playoffs in 2017 with 2 losses is because both UGA and Bama were #1 when we beat them. Playing UGA in October means UGA won't be #1 when we play them unless Bama or Clemson get upset earlier in the season. LSU definitely won't be #1 because they'll have already lost to Alabama by the time we play them.

Had we won the SECCG in 2017 would the AU PTB have still been reactionary and moved to change the UGA game? 

2 hours ago, DAG said:

LSU has been much more beatable than UGA and it seems it will be that way for the foreseeable future. 

We have to have a top tier SEC offense to beat UGA. Other wise they literally out talent us up and down the field. Idk why anyone would try to think of the two as equals. We could’ve easily beat their ass at home, away, wherever. That just doesn’t apply to UGA. Their absolute worst team in the past 5 years, we were kicking ourselves bc our 8-2 QB threw a pick 6 and we couldn’t overcome their 5-5 team 

While it sucks we are playing LSU right before Alabama, it won’t be this way every year. Moving UGA earlier in the season is a good move as it still eliminates having two home or two away SEC game to end the season. The biggest sting here is that we lost the cupcake game before Alabama, but so did Alabama. 

I am curious why we only have 1 bye week when this year we have two?

1 minute ago, BigWhiskey91 said:

I am curious why we only have 1 bye week when this year we have two?

Because of the way the calendar falls. There are 14 weekends starting from the 1st of September through the end of November whereas the same period only has 13 weekends next year.

18 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Because of the way the calendar falls. There are 14 weekends starting from the 1st of September through the end of November whereas the same period only has 13 weekends next year.

Maybe I'm in the minority but I'd rather have two bye weeks in the season. Just move Championship Saturday back a week in a year like this one. There doesn't need to be an entire month between the end of the season and the championship tier bowls. 

26 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Ahhh gotcha! Our Bye weeks are really well placed this year. Hopefully it can setup for a magical run 🤘🏼😬🤘🏼

1 hour ago, Auburnfan91 said:

Absolute idiocy to change the UGA game instead of holding out until 2025 to try and fix the scheduling issue. At least we had a cupcake in between UGA and Bama. Now we have to play LSU and Bama back-to-back with no cupcake in between. Then if we somehow survive those 2 games and make it to the SECCG then we'll likely get UGA.

The main reason we had a chance to make the playoffs in 2017 with 2 losses is because both UGA and Bama were #1 when we beat them. Playing UGA in October means UGA won't be #1 when we play them unless Bama or Clemson get upset earlier in the season. LSU definitely won't be #1 because they'll have already lost to Alabama by the time we play them.

Had we won the SECCG in 2017 would the AU PTB have still been reactionary and moved to change the UGA game? 

If you notice, no one of consequence in the league is getting a cupcake the week before rivalry weekend.  That's a function of TV pressuring the SEC for better matchups that week and money winning the day.  If we still had UGA in that game slot, we'd be playing them a week before Bama. 

Heck, Bama arguably has it tougher than we do with the changes.  They have to play LSU, A&M, and us all in November.  That's brutal.  

As for 2017, if you don't lose twice early, you don't need to beat two #1 ranked teams late to be in the conversation.  Beat UGA in October and we'll still be getting a ton of credit for that win and likely be higher in the polls heading into the LSU game assuming only one loss or less at that point.

34 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

If you notice, no one of consequence in the league is getting a cupcake the week before rivalry weekend.  That's a function of TV pressuring the SEC for better matchups that week and money winning the day.  If we still had UGA in that game slot, we'd be playing them a week before Bama. .

Nailed it. 

17 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

If you notice, no one of consequence in the league is getting a cupcake the week before rivalry weekend.  That's a function of TV pressuring the SEC for better matchups that week and money winning the day.  If we still had UGA in that game slot, we'd be playing them a week before Bama. 

Heck, Bama arguably has it tougher than we do with the changes.  They have to play LSU, A&M, and us all in November.  That's brutal.  

As for 2017, if you don't lose twice early, you don't need to beat two #1 ranked teams late to be in the conversation.  Beat UGA in October and we'll still be getting a ton of credit for that win and likely be higher in the polls heading into the LSU game assuming only one loss or less at that point.

Bama gets both A&M and us in Tuscaloosa. So I'd say we have it harder in 2020 since we have a home and away while Bama gets both games at home to end the regular season in 2020. It won't be until 2021 that we'll have it better since Bama will then get both A&M and us on the road.

Plus our new schedule is setup to where we have two tough back-to-back  games in October as well. We play at UGA Oct 10 and then get A&M at home Oct 17 after the Aggies play Fresno St the week before they play us.

While our 2019 schedule is tough, we don't have brutal back-to-back games like we'll have in October and November in 2020. What's our toughest back-to-back games in 2019? Our two toughest back-to-back games this season are either at A&M on on Sep. 21 and home vs Miss St on Sep. 28 or it's at LSU Oct. 26 and home vs Ole Miss Nov. 2.

5 minutes ago, Auburnfan91 said:

Bama gets both A&M and us in Tuscaloosa. So I'd say we have it harder in 2020 since we have a home and away while Bama gets both games at home to end the regular season in 2020. It won't be until 2021 that we'll have it better since Bama will then get both A&M and us on the road.

Plus our new schedule is setup to where we have two tough back-to-back  games in October as well. We play at UGA Oct 10 and then get A&M at home Oct 17 after the Aggies play Fresno St the week before they play us.

While our 2019 schedule is tough, we don't have brutal back-to-back games like we'll have in October and November in 2020. What's our toughest back-to-back games in 2019? Our two toughest back-to-back games this season are either at A&M on on Sep. 21 and home vs Miss St on Sep. 28 or it's at LSU Oct. 26 and home vs Ole Miss Nov. 2.

Man this is the SEC west. It’s going to be hard to not get competitive matches back to back especially with our in conference rivals. Quite frankly, the brutality is in the eye of the beholder. Are we afraid of LSU and Bama? 

54 minutes ago, DAG said:

Man this is the SEC west. It’s going to be hard to not get competitive matches back to back especially with our in conference rivals. Quite frankly, the brutality is in the eye of the beholder. Are we afraid of LSU and Bama? 

No, but for years bama has had the advantage of getting us a week after we had played UGA or 2 wks prior.  They never such a grudge match or rivalry on that level before they have to play us.   From a game planning perspective, it also gave bama an advantage.

As an old(er) Auburn grad, I really would like to see a level playing field regarding schedules or how 'bout this - we actually have the advantage in scheduling.  

Rabbit hole alert:  I am tired of "we've played them since Abe Lincoln tossed the coin" so we have to keep playing them.  I think the SEC E should be a full rotation, evenly spread throughout the schedule.   The heck with this "permanent opponent" crap.  The AU vs UF has lost it's appeal.  That is sad.   That is just another advantage the turds will enjoy over us until that is changed also.   

I am sick and tired of bama having an advantage most years.  You will too when you get to be old(er).  In the 80's it wasn't so, and you see how Auburn dominated the conference in the 80's ..  I know apples and oranges, but you get my point.

14 minutes ago, Beaker said:

No, but for years bama has had the advantage of getting us a week after we had played UGA or 2 wks prior.  They never such a grudge match or rivalry on that level before they have to play us.   From a game planning perspective, it also gave bama an advantage.

As an old(er) Auburn grad, I really would like to see a level playing field regarding schedules or how 'bout this - we actually have the advantage in scheduling.  

Rabbit hole alert:  I am tired of "we've played them since Abe Lincoln tossed the coin" so we have to keep playing them.  I think the SEC E should be a full rotation, evenly spread throughout the schedule.   The heck with this "permanent opponent" crap.  The AU vs UF has lost it's appeal.  That is sad.   That is just another advantage the turds will enjoy over us until that is changed also.   

I am sick and tired of bama having an advantage most years.  You will too when you get to be old(er).  In the 80's it wasn't so, and you see how Auburn dominated the conference in the 80's ..  I know apples and oranges, but you get my point.

I don’t think so, lol. Things happens in cycles. When Alabama was down during my child and teen years, I do not remember people complaining this much about the schedule . Definitely not when we were sacking Brody Croyle left and right . Now Bama and UGA are formidable and everybody is upset. The same thing with UGA. When Mark Richt was there with his inconsistencies I don’t remember all of this gnashing of teeth. But now...

1 hour ago, Auburnfan91 said:

Again, Bama has to play all three of LSU, A&M, and Auburn in the same month.  Same for LSU actually.  We don't have to run that gauntlet.  And every other year, they will end with two road games if this holds while we get one home, one away to end each season in some fashion.  I'd argue we came out way ahead in that deal because our schedule is more consistent.

If you're looking at next year only, the first half of our season is pretty easy.  UGA should be the only real threat.  Win that and we're sitting pretty.  Lose it and we're in must win mode for the rest of the SEC schedule, making every game that much bigger.  

But I think you're missing the overall point which is the SEC wanted to create more drama for division races.  How do you do that?  By back-loading divisional games into the schedule, especially among the heavyweights.  It makes for a better season long narrative and builds to the SEC having an amazing November moving forward. 

Think of it like this.  If both us and Bama are undefeated going into the next to last SEC game currently, that game becomes meaningless.  We can lose to UGA with zero consequences because if we beat Bama, we win the West.  New schedule sets up where the LSU game could be a knock-out game in regards to the West race depending on both team records.  And A&M is only gonna get better under Jimbo, making that anything but a sure win for Bama in the coming years.

As a football fan, this is just way more fun.  Give me the drama.

Archived