Fall Camp: Day 7 - First Scrimmage (8/8)

Auburn Kev

• Replies 452
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Not at all. In fact, just so you don't misunderstand me, I'll have someone you can relate to explain it...

tenor.gif

My ex

1 minute ago, augolf1716 said:

My ex

Couldn't relate to someone that much younger than you?

I literally have a headache after reading all of that. Good Lord. I’m just, whatever.

Not super pumped about the news of the o-line getting pushed around. Hoping it’s a combination of our d-line being awesome and maybe the offense being limited by play calling and missing personnel. I’m going to side with that and the knowledge that the defense should dominate the early part of camp. 

4 hours ago, Barnacle said:

You think making Gatewood (our quarterback, by the way) throw the football in practice is akin to Sean White running the zone read? 

Y'all are acting like the coaches are somehow unaware of Gatewood's ability to run the football, but you all admit that he isn't a well polished passer. Then, when the coaches take away his ability to run the ball - in practice, mind you - they are somehow doing him a disservice? If the goal is to develop our quarterbacks, then we need to spend time developing them. It's crazy, I know. 

idH8hdCYBSThguUPnj.gif

This is also like everyone's third day in pads? I'm not super worried about it right now. Defenses tend to generally be a lot more game ready at the beginning of the season and we have a good one to begin with.

Was listening to Chris Todd on The Drive the other day and he recounted how, in the fall quarterback battle,Tony Franklin told him straight up that even though they were live, if Todd's numbers didn't improve that Kodi Burns would be the starting QB. Why? Because the coaches knew Burns could run. So in an even footrace, it wasn't really even.

For what it's worth, Gus Malzahn inherited that same QB battle. And he took Chris Todd who couldn't throw more than a few dozen passes a game because of his shoulder and broke nearly all of the Auburn passing records.

I've got a feeling our staff can evaluate a quarterback without having to risk getting them injured.

41 minutes ago, bigbird said:
43 minutes ago, dyehardfanAU said:

Amazing what confidence in your OL can do.

I give the AU O-line credit.  They taught Stids the importance of getting rid of the ball QUICKLY! 🤣😂🤣😂

41 minutes ago, Tiger Refuge said:

I literally have a headache after reading all of that. Good Lord. I’m just, whatever.

Not super pumped about the news of the o-line getting pushed around. Hoping it’s a combination of our d-line being awesome and maybe the offense being limited by play calling and missing personnel. I’m going to side with that and the knowledge that the defense should dominate the early part of camp. 

Well, the defense knows that neither QB is a threat to run (in practice) so they never have to worry about that.

I'd be curious to see how much it'd help the O-line if the D front 7 had to at least pause a beat to consider that option.

51 minutes ago, dyehardfanAU said:

Nice slant route in the RZ.

Dude should have 4 TDs but 3 of them got dropped/no PI call.

Like we talked about in the other thread and I guess this one. QBs play different in different situations. 

38 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

What is this slant thing you are talking about?

It's like an out route but into Gus' Bermuda triangle

14 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

Well, the defense knows that neither QB is a threat to run (in practice) so they never have to worry about that.

I'd be curious to see how much it'd help the O-line if the D front 7 had to at least pause a beat to consider that option.

Exactly. Perhaps this is planned to put extra pressure on the o-line? I dunno.

10 minutes ago, bigbird said:

It's like an out route but into Gus' Bermuda triangle

Wish we ran the Slant off ZR look more often. Our only TD against UGA in the SEC title was off that play. :(

It appears most of you guys are rooting for JG to be the next Cam. I'm perfectly ok with that, but that's a lot to put on somebody. I was impressed with his arm in the spring game, but there are very few people who can actually run like Cam.

I'm also rooting for Bo to be the next Colt McCoy.  Colt ran the zone read very, very effectively.  He wasn't usually a threat to take it to the house, but he could get you ten or 15 yards when you really needed it. He was a coaches son, and he also could read a defense, know who was going to be open, and deliver the ball where it needed to go. Everybody sees the upside with Joey, but don't forget I think there is quite an upside with Bo too. I'm not greedy;  I'm just hoping one of them lives up to the hype. 

6 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Guys, it'll all be okay. Remember, JB just needs more time with them...

tenor.gif

Yeah, I'm not seeing The Tactician making much chicken salad this season.  Who recruited these guys?  Oh yeah...The Tactician.

2 minutes ago, Sizzle said:

The Patriots must’ve went live with the QB’s in practices that has to be the only reason he’s playing well!

It’d be fun if college teams had a JV game that you could play your sophomores and freshmen 2nd teamers against another schools young guys.  Make it either the week after Spring or during bowl season.

9 hours ago, aujeff11 said:

But we also have to remember that Schwartz, Hastings, and Stove didn’t play.

neither did Seth Williams

Archived