Fall Camp: Day 7 - First Scrimmage (8/8)

Auburn Kev

We should all be concerned about how the offensive line played in the scrimmage.  Does not matter who the qb, wr, hb, etc.. will be.. if the OL can’t protect.. It’s going to be a long year for the freshmen QBs .. 

• Replies 452
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Cardin Drake said:

It appears most of you guys are rooting for JG to be the next Cam.

We certainly ain't rooting for him to be the next Jeremy.

:poke:

10 hours ago, WFE12 said:

My crush did good today!!!!!!:wedance:

Marcello is now saying that Seth Williams is not injured and was pulled out by design.

1 minute ago, WalkingCarpet said:

Marcello is now saying that Seth Williams is not injured and was pulled out by design.

Man all this got dang hearsay...These *reporters* need to make sure they report credible info. How are so many people getting conflicting reports?

2 hours ago, Win4AU said:

It’d be fun if college teams had a JV game that you could play your sophomores and freshmen 2nd teamers against another schools young guys.  Make it either the week after Spring or during bowl season.

Tubbs had a jv game against Ga southern or someone like that. 

8 hours ago, passthebiscuits said:

Not good today, friends. OLine was pitiful. Gatewood performed better than Nix but both struggled. Both inaccurate. (To be fair both running for their lives.) To say defense won the day is an understatement. 

RBs has to get any yards they could. Momma Worm should be proud! That guy hustles! 

Update me.... what did I miss? 

4 hours ago, Win4AU said:

It’d be fun if college teams had a JV game that you could play your sophomores and freshmen 2nd teamers against another schools young guys.  Make it either the week after Spring or during bowl season.

They used to have FR teams when FR couldn’t play varsity. Sullivan and Beasley made their names on FR team in 1968.

5 hours ago, AuMarine said:

We should all be concerned about how the offensive line played in the scrimmage.  Does not matter who the qb, wr, hb, etc.. will be.. if the OL can’t protect.. It’s going to be a long year for the freshmen QBs .. 

They are facing the best D-line in college football. I would hope they'd lose badly this point in fall camp. 

8 hours ago, JBiGGiE said:

I've got a feeling our staff can evaluate a quarterback without having to risk getting them injured

That would be nice. How many times are they going to get fooled though before you stop believing it?

5 hours ago, WFE12 said:

Man all this got dang hearsay...These *reporters* need to make sure they report credible info. How are so many people getting conflicting reports?

I’ve heard a bunch of different reports but it was also a closed practice. 

17 hours ago, DAG said:

And if you get to a point of just hoping to rely on your running abilities, you are going to be in a world of hurt when teams FORCE you to pass the ball. We are trying to get away from being one dimensional here. JG is a DT qb not just an athlete 

Honestly I've always preferred QBs who extended plays and ran from forced scrambles with their speed than designed runs, Aaron Rodgers is the perfect example.  He torches teams so much they forget he can run....until he's running.  If Gatewood and Nix could play like that theywould STRESS a defense wayyyy more.

There are two many posts to catch up and read. I see where they said the Defense dominated and there were 3 turnovers.  What I want to know is how the Defense dominated? Did they push the O-Line around, did QB's have no time and did RB's get stuffed in the backfield?  The reason I ask these questions is I want to know how well the O-Line did against one of the best D-Lines in college football this year.  In first scrimmage of year because one it is very vanilla from O side and two still working on timing on O D usually dominates. I expected the D to dominate I loved that one turnover was because of an outstanding Defensive play. 

If O-Line was not man-handled by this D-Line that is actually a positive for O.  We have 2 new QB's some new WR's in the mix and first live scrimmage I expect some issues. Next weeks scrimmage will be much more informative. 

2 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

What I want to know is how the Defense dominated? Did they push the O-Line around, did QB's have no time and did RB's get stuffed in the backfield?

From what I heard/read, you don't want to hear the answers to those questions. It wasn't good. 

5 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

From what I heard/read, you don't want to hear the answers to those questions. It wasn't good. 

I am an eternal optimist:

1. I think we have one of the best D lines in America.  That was probably a factor.  

2.  We were missing some of the faster WRs.  That was definitely a factor.

3.  I bet both sides were playing 'vanilla' -that has to be a factor, if true. 

4.  A Carlson booted one through from 56.

5.  TD Moultry didn't hurt anyone on O - thankfully.  

All positives.

Not allowing Gatewood to run in scrimmage is to his advantage it forces him to work on his passing game and reads. Sure he would have a better scrimmage if he could run but he would not be fine tuning his reading of the D and his passing game. We know he can run as can Nix and in a real game they will but the better they are both at throwing especially throwing on the move the more it will open up their running. If they can get to the point of picking a team apart when the team knows they are not allowed to run think how good they will be against a real team with the added luxury of running.

8 minutes ago, Beaker said:

1. I think we have one of the best D lines in America.  That was probably a factor.  

All positives.

I wasn't there so I won't argue with your optimism :) 

25 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

I don’t understand this statement. 

I'm hoping it turns out completely opposite than what everybody THINKS they know

To be honest I see absolutely nothing to be alarmed at... The only thing bothering me this fall is the injury factor.  I don't see any reports of RB'S laying it on the ground or a team divided.  We are speaking of a controlled 1ST scrimmage with a very very experienced defense on the field( cept for LB).  Malzhan is not game calling.  He is just seeing about execution,only

Last year our d-line dominated our o-line and we said it was because the d-line was so good and it would benefit the o-line.  

Our d-line ended up under performing maybe from over confidence or from practicing against weak competition, all up for debate. O-line was whipped into losing all confidence from their daily beat downs.

Hope somehow this year is different because we need the most out of both of them.

If Seth got pulled by design then either 1. Gus was concerned about him getting hurt or 2. Gus wanted to make it tough on the Qbs to see how they performed under pressure.  Both could also be an answer.

46 minutes ago, Beaker said:

All positives.

Gatewood didn’t get to hurt anybody either.

:silverlinings:

Archived