Fall Camp: Day 7 - First Scrimmage (8/8)

Auburn Kev

Another thing to consider on top of what else has been said is that this was only the first scrimmage.  Remember all spring we have heard from our trusted sources on this site that our OL has improved.  DB even said that guys like Horton have improved.  Let's give a cautious benefit of the doubt until the next scrimmage.  We are still 23 days out.

• Replies 452
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

Remember all spring we have heard from our trusted sources on this site that our OL has improved. 

But it sounds like they haven't improved nearly enough. Even after bringing everyone back. That's troubling and scary. I just hope they can get it together within the first 3 games.

3 minutes ago, TigerFanAU said:

But it sounds like they haven't improved nearly enough. Even after bringing everyone back. That's troubling and scary. I just hope they can get it together within the first 3 games.

How can you get  that from one scrimmage?  There were big plays that happened.  There were dropped balls, tipped balls.. They had drives---   tell me how

3 minutes ago, TigerFanAU said:

That is why I am saying let's have them get through another scrimmage.  We need more than one to base thoughtful opinions.

It happens every year where one or the other sides have a good scrimmage and the next week it’s the opposite side, so I’m in a wait and see mode.

They said the WR’s were doing great and we added a grad transfer.  They said the dbs were doing great and we were looking for a late add as well.  The info from the staff was interesting.  Also they just said they were improved, it was almost the only direction they could go.

Yes we have one of the best DLs in college football, however our main guys played limited snaps. 

So by all regard, our OL was being dominated by 2nd and 3rd  stringers for the most part.

First scrimmage or not, this is very concerning.

This was posted by E on another board, so E is my source:

Here’s the bad news for the offense to me: Brown and Davidson both had under 10 reps. So the O-line was dominated by the second guys as well.

26 minutes ago, lost said:

How can you get  that from one scrimmage?  There were big plays that happened.  There were dropped balls, tipped balls.. They had drives---   tell me how

By combining all that was said. Even our own coach said our defense dominated them. Tega admitted they got to them. Then there's all the random tidbits from insiders and people who were there. Gus even said he's not happy. I think you can reasonbly assume the line still needs a ton of work.

27 minutes ago, toddc said:

It happens every year where one or the other sides have a good scrimmage and the next week it’s the opposite side, so I’m in a wait and see mode.

THIS

1 minute ago, TigerFanAU said:

By combining all that was said. Even our own coach said our defense dominated them. Tega admitted they got to them. Then there's all the random tidbits from insiders and people who were there. Gus even said he's not happy. I think you can reasonbly assume the line still needs a ton of work.

I will not deny that.  But what about the other tidbits i mentioned?  Let me ask you this as I try to bring some balance.  What if the report had been the OL had dominated and pushed our Defense all over the field?  Which would be more alarming?  Now I hope you understand my post.

2 minutes ago, TigerFanAU said:

Also, like you said, it's one thing to say "Auburn's offensive line improved" and it's another thing to say "Auburn's offensive line is ready to compete in the SEC in 2019". Some of us tried to tell some others that over the summer. They were still way behind at the end of last year. 

Also, there's been talk that we changed our blocking schemes again. That might be for the better, but that's just more change that they'll have to work through for now. (Really crazy that Gus immediately hired Grimes without even considering anyone else and now we're hearing that he brought in a kid from Memphis who changed the way we block after one season of Grimes.)

That all said, I don't think anybody's giving up on the season or anything. You just wanted to see better from the group that we need the most improvement from.

7 minutes ago, lost said:

et me ask you this as I try to bring some balance.  What if the report had been the OL had dominated and pushed our Defense all over the field?  Which would be more alarming?  Now I hope you understand my post

A couple things: the DL was solid for us last year. The OL was not until the back part of the season. So if the OL dominated the DL yesterday, then I think we could conclude the OL put in hard work this offseason, and were young/new/inexperienced/injured last season.

But it sounds as if there are still issues with the OL, despite a full offseason together and staying healthy. There's still time to get better, but I don't think its unreasonable to conclude from all the information from yesterday combined with what we saw last year, that the OL still some work to do.

2 minutes ago, TigerFanAU said:

the OL still some work to do.

Understatement at it's finest.  Lack of SEC talent on the 1st team and a real **** show amongst the backups.  Gus' lack of OL recruitment should be a "with cause" type situation.

I'm kinda shocked after a number of comments, no one has even mentioned what I posted.. 

The OL being "dominated" by backups on the DL is the kind of thing to be concerned about. 

@TigerFanAU saying they have "some work" to do is like saying the Titanic was a boat. Yes, it's true but it's such an understatement it's almost wrong...

OL was terrible last year and it's expecting a bit much to think they will all of a sudden turn into a dominant group IMO. All the experience in the world doesn't make up for lack of ability.

If we can be average that will be a big step up from last season

23 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Also, like you said, it's one thing to say "Auburn's offensive line improved" and it's another thing to say "Auburn's offensive line is ready to compete in the SEC in 2019".  Cole Cubelic did say that though.  He ranked Auburn's line #4 in the conference even.

Some of us tried to tell some others that over the summer. They were still way behind at the end of last year.  As we had discussed in depth, our OL at the end of the year had greatly improved and was holding its own against Alabama and Georgia.  Held their defenses below their averages.

Also, there's been talk that we changed our blocking schemes again. That might be for the better, but that's just more change that they'll have to work through for now. (Really crazy that Gus immediately hired Grimes without even considering anyone else and now we're hearing that he brought in a kid from Memphis who changed the way we block after one season of Grimes.)  Did not know that.  Hope it is for the better though.  Interested to see what has changed.

That all said, I don't think anybody's giving up on the season or anything. You just wanted to see better from the group that we need the most improvement from.  I do agree it was a shock to see they vastly under-preformed in the first scrimmage.  Concerning for sure.  But, I would like to give them at least one more scrimmage for redemption.  Hopefully the embarrassment lit a fire and created urgency.

Pessimists:  The season's over, we aren't going to beat Oregon or any SEC team. We'll be lucky to beat Kent State. Fire Gus now, and let's get to work on rebuilding for 2020.

Optimists:  Sure, our QB was running for his life all day, but shoot, that's just what he needs to get ready for game day conditions.

Not sure which group is more annoying.

39 minutes ago, dyehardfanAU said:

Understatement at it's finest.  Lack of SEC talent on the 1st team and a real **** show amongst the backups.  Gus' lack of OL recruitment should be a "with cause" type situation.

This right here is why we are where we are. The OL should be “ok” if there are no injuries, but the real problem has been the recruiting. The coaches know it. We all know it. This is the one area we have routinely been beaten over and over the last 3 years. The coaches have tried, they just could not land top OL. There is a reason why our second team DL still beats our first team OL. Look at recruiting on the DL. 

I asked Ellitor yesterday but does anyone know how far back of the starters Hamm, Stutts, or Brahms are development wise?  If the Kim, Horton, and Harrell are still getting pushed around what are Auburn’s options?  From everything I’ve heard from Cube and Jay Tate’s podcast a lot of these younger guys are meaner and nastier than the current group.  

9 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

This is the one area we have routinely been beaten over and over the last 3 years. The coaches have tried, they just could not land top OL. There is a reason why our second team DL still beats our first team OL. Look at recruiting on the DL. 

We have been killing it on the OL recruiting for the 2020 cycle fortunately.  Dilly has really been helping us out here and JB has been allowed to go after the guys he wants.  Dilly even did the worm to get one guy to commit.

14 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

We have been killing it on the OL recruiting for the 2020 cycle fortunately.  Dilly has really been helping us out here and JB has been allowed to go after the guys he wants.  Dilly even did the worm to get one guy to commit.

We have a bunch of commits because we are losing all the starters and it opens opportunity.  Got good commits but we are not killing it.     It is a solid class.  No reason to overhype these guys.  Potential to be great but only time will tell.

8 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

We have a bunch of commits because we are losing all the starters and it opens opportunity.  Got good commits but we are not killing it.     It is a solid class.  No reason to overhype these guys.  Potential to be great but only time will tell.

True, but it is still better than what we have seen for years. 

41 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

This right here is why we are where we are. The OL should be “ok” if there are no injuries, but the real problem has been the recruiting. The coaches know it. We all know it. This is the one area we have routinely been beaten over and over the last 3 years. The coaches have tried, they just could not land top OL. There is a reason why our second team DL still beats our first team OL. Look at recruiting on the DL. 

Gus did not understand, or willfully ignored, that he needed an OL coach who could recruit. He should've done everything he could to keep Jeff Grimes or find someone in his mold.  We should've been hitting the top tier JuCo talent the last 2 classes as well as bringing in more SEC caliber HS recruits.  More than likely it will be what ultimately ends his career at AU.

2 hours ago, abw0004 said:

That is why I am saying let's have them get through another scrimmage.  We need more than one to base thoughtful opinions.

Not for our fans...let’s complain early and often. 

Archived