Fall Camp: Day 7 - First Scrimmage (8/8)

Auburn Kev

15 hours ago, aujeff11 said:

I’m listening to it now. Apparently Javaris Davis has a case of dropsies at PR. They’re speculating Gus won’t put up with that. Could be Tutt then Matthew Hill.

Matthew Hill with great balance:

• Replies 452
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, imaolgatiger said:

Not for our fans...let’s complain early and often. 

I know right... let’s just cancel the season already. Apparently the O-line has never played football before and is never gonna improve 

An article on another site says that Cord Sandberg received the same amount of snaps as Nix and Gatewood in scrimmage.  My question is:

giphy.gif

1 minute ago, dyehardfanAU said:

An article on another site says that Cord Sandberg received the same amount of snaps as Nix and Gatewood in scrimmage.  My question is:

giphy.gif

That only adds to my thought that the competition is already decided. 

3 minutes ago, dyehardfanAU said:

giphy.gif

Yesterday was a lot about trimming down the roster to who will be 1&2s and scout team.  Going forward there will be a lot of guys who don’t get as many snaps in practice and scrimmages.

1 hour ago, auburnphan said:

We have a bunch of commits because we are losing all the starters and it opens opportunity.  Got good commits but we are not killing it.     It is a solid class.  No reason to overhype these guys.  Potential to be great but only time will tell.

Our desperate need for OL commits didn't win many recruiting battles for the 2019 class...  And you could make a great case that we are indeed killing it.  Enough to make WDE come out and say he is impressed.

46 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Matthew Hill with great balance:

My crush is gonna crush it this year!

5 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

Our desperate need for OL commits didn't win many recruiting battles for the 2019 class...  And you could make a great case that we are indeed killing it.  Enough to make WDE come out and say he is impressed.

We may be "killing it" in shear numbers but most of the OL commits are 3* that will at best need time to develop and at worst play like what we're currently seeing from our past low ranked recruits.  None of them, outside of possibly the JuCo players, will be starting next year and probably not in their second year unless it's due to necessity because of past recruiting.

17 minutes ago, dyehardfanAU said:

We may be "killing it" in shear numbers but most of the OL commits are 3* that will at best need time to develop and at worst play like what we're currently seeing from our past low ranked recruits.  None of them, outside of possibly the JuCo players, will be starting next year and probably not in their second year unless it's due to necessity because of past recruiting.

That can be very misleading as two of the JUCO's are 3*.  But, you rarely see a 4* ranking in JUCO and almost never a 5*.  Those two JUCO's are the #1 OT and the #5 OT.  We also lead for the #2 OT in JUCO.  Tate Johnson earned his 4th star recently, even though it still says 3*.  Lastly, Jeremiah Wright is an the verge of a composite 4*.  I have not seen anyone on the recruiting side of the forum complain about who we have.  Only excitement for them.  To be fair, I have seen people complain that we have to dedicate so many spots to the OL, which is understandable.  You never want to overload one position group in one year or it can cause issues or a mass exodus in 4-5 years due to graduation.  Don't much much choice though, which is unfortunate.  

5 hours ago, HarrisBoy334 said:

Honestly I've always preferred QBs who extended plays and ran from forced scrambles with their speed than designed runs, Aaron Rodgers is the perfect example.  He torches teams so much they forget he can run....until he's running.  If Gatewood and Nix could play like that theywould STRESS a defense wayyyy more.

I think that is one of the 'IT' factors some QBs have and most don't. Stidham, really didn't have it, as when he scrambled he basically ran, and most of the time did not throw accurate passes out of a scramble. Guys like Rogers, Rothleisberger, and now Mayfield, all can make great throws from broken plays. 

I don't know if Gatewood or Nix have that. Only way to tell is in real games...so we will see.

On 8/8/2019 at 12:26 PM, LKEEL75 said:
On 8/8/2019 at 12:21 PM, WFE12 said:

I do wonder though... Were the two reflection picks strictly because of the receivers having bricks for hands or was it bad passes?

Depends on which faction you ask:

Kodi Hater - "The receivers dropped the ball because they weren't coached right"

Gus Haters - "The receiver missed the ball because the route was so simple he was bumped out of place by the defender."

Grimes Haters - "The receiver didn't have time to get open because the OL couldn't sustain their block"

IN the words of the great @ellitor...  Thanks @WFE12.  Thanks to this softball you tossed up there I got my most reactions....  hahahha

1 minute ago, LKEEL75 said:

IN the words of the great @ellitor...  Thanks @WFE12.  Thanks to this softball you tossed up there I got my most reactions....  hahahha

That was pretty creative, I do have to hand it to you.  Very funny too!

32 minutes ago, toddc said:

My crush is gonna crush it this year!

Your crush is a baller. Could easily have been a safety. Hopefully we utilize his skills in a WR role. 

Your crush was also frustrating as a recruit, but glad he stuck with his commitment.

21 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

That can be very misleading as two of the JUCO's are 3*.  But, you rarely see a 4* ranking in JUCO and almost never a 5*.  Those two JUCO's are the #1 OT and the #5 OT.  We also lead for the #2 OT in JUCO.  Tate Johnson earned his 4th star recently, even though it still says 3*.  Lastly, Jeremiah Wright is an the verge of a composite 4*.  I have not seen anyone on the recruiting side of the forum complain about who we have.  Only excitement for them.  To be fair, I have seen people complain that we have to dedicate so many spots to the OL, which is understandable.  You never want to overload one position group in one year or it can cause issues or a mass exodus in 4-5 years due to graduation.  Don't much much choice though, which is unfortunate.  

Which of the HS recruits do you see starting by year 2?  I conceded that the JuCos will probably be starting next season.

3 minutes ago, LKEEL75 said:

I’ll be here to talk about Gatewood not going live tomorrow at noon. If you want a trail of likes, just say anything in rebuttal, doesn’t matter whether it makes sense or not, and those likes are yours. Maybe even win a day. 

😀

1 minute ago, dyehardfanAU said:

Which of the HS recruits do you see starting by year 2?  I conceded that the JuCos will probably be starting next season.

2020/2021 is a long way away. 

We have to make it through 2019...

3 minutes ago, dyehardfanAU said:

Good question.  At first I would have been tempted to say Javion Cohen, but if the two JUCO OT's are starting next season, Cohen may have to wait until his redshirt junior year.  That would bring me to Jeremiah Wright at At 6'5" 320 and looks like he wants to murder you on his film.  

2 hours ago, gr82b4au said:

True, but it is still better than what we have seen for years. 

Agree.  I just am not one to oversell something that is still an unknown.  Happy as hell we filled up lineman with this class.  Especially the Juco’s.   We could be wasting the most talent ever offensively due to terrible roster management and failures in the most critical area.

So he wants Gatewood and Nix to get as many snaps as possible; yet he’s giving Cord an equal amount of snaps?

Gus says: “They’re going to need as many reps as they can get back there.”

Any thoughts on this?

https://auburn.rivals.com/news/tigers-football-scrimmage-struggles-delay-auburn-s-quarterback-decision

The offense wasn’t entirely stagnant, however. All three quarterbacks — Nix, Gatewood and Cord Sandberg — were given equal reps, around 28 snaps apiece.

1 minute ago, AU-24 said:

So he wants Gatewood and Nix to get as many snaps as possible; yet he’s giving Cord an equal amount of snaps?

Gus says: “They’re going to need as many reps as they can get back there.”

Any thoughts on this?

https://auburn.rivals.com/news/tigers-football-scrimmage-struggles-delay-auburn-s-quarterback-decision

The offense wasn’t entirely stagnant, however. All three quarterbacks — Nix, Gatewood and Cord Sandberg — were given equal reps, around 28 snaps apiece.

Bo Nix, here’s your redshirt. 

3 hours ago, dyehardfanAU said:

giphy.gif

better safe than sorry? if bo and joey both got hurt folks would complain gus did not get the backups enough snaps. am i right?

16 hours ago, WalkingCarpet said:

Marcello is now saying that Seth Williams is not injured and was pulled out by design.

any idea of why they would do that? just curious. thanx

i might have missed it but what is the word on pappy? i would like to know honestly how good he is doing other than stories about him being from a different mold.

The plan was probably to give each guy the same amount of reps to give fair assessment and not tip his hand. He can say that AND say they need all the reps they can get because the scrimmage was an assessment not practice. 

It sucks that OL didnt perform well but what matters most now is how they respond. Last year they lacked tenacity, and had $h17 technique. By all accounts they improved in the offseason, which typically points to technique and picking up assignments. It sounds like in the scrimmage they made some stupid mistakes then probably started worrying about technique which makes you lose your tenacity. Now theyve gotta go out there and play pissed off and trust their muscle memory. Otherwise its gonna be ‘18 again. 

Archived