Fall Camp: Day 7 - First Scrimmage (8/8)

Auburn Kev

Interesting we haven't gotten any press about Gatewood good or bad.

It would be so funny if Gus is purposely making it look like Nix so Oregon prepares for a Jarrett Stidham type offense and Gus rolls Gatewood out with the 2010 offense. 

As much as I want that to be true, it's much more likely Nix is just taking the over the job. 

• Replies 452
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What if Gatewood had thrown the picks? Then it would absolutely be labeled that he can't throw a football accurately over 5 yards

6 minutes ago, cole256 said:

What if Gatewood had thrown the picks? Then it would absolutely be labeled that he can't throw a football accurately over 5 yards

Maybe for some but not likely for most

11 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Maybe for some but not likely for most

Gotta disagree. Imo if Gatewood would have thrown the picks it would definitely be blown up more, it hasn't even really been discussed since not. I think the same would be true during a season as well. 

A guy that is labeled to be a running QB has a much shorter leash than a guy that is labeled to being a passer as far as a fan base. When that's actually a call you really couldn't make without watching a guy play over and over. Which is why a majority of qb analysis of talk boards is usually filled with so much bs. People offering opinions about guys throwing without ever seeing a guy throw or not. It's just assumed well this guy can run so he can't throw as well as the guy that can't run as well. 

7 hours ago, gr82be said:

I just went by the schedule posted above and they didn't practice Friday or Saturday with nothing scheduled for today. That leaves Monday as the lone practice before the second scrimmage. 

Then the schedule above is wrong. They are practicing almost every day until classes start.  Also spending time in meetings and going over film.  Coaches take full advantage of this time prior to school starting. 

Are the running backs good as far as health? What has shivers been doing? I was hoping to see much more of him

@DAG, for your man crush thread brother!

I really like this kid and he seems to be bucking the “not a tough runner monicker” he had when recruited, according to Driscoll. I think he can help the hurry up offense by staying in the game at several positions, including the wildcat.

Harold Joiner is settling in at running back, where Auburn wants to ‘let his talent shine’

Posted Aug 11, 8:31 AM

Todd Van Emst/AU Athletics

Auburn running back Harold Joiner runs a drill during the first day of fall camp on Aug. 2 at the Tigers' athletics complex.

0 shares

By Tom Green | tgreen@al.com

Gus Malzahn perked up when he mentioned the name of one of Auburn’s running back options this fall. It was back in July at SEC Media Days, and Malzahn was meeting with the local media in a suite at the Wynfrey in Hoover shortly before he took the stage in the main room.

That’s when he brought up “the Harold Joiner factor.”

“His skillset is unique,” Malzahn said. “And it’s different.”

The former four-star Mountain Brook prospect was a non-factor as a true freshman last season, when he redshirted while appearing in just two games and finished the season with three carries for 9 yards and a touchdown. Malzahn hopes to establish a bigger role for him this fall as the Tigers try to reestablish their presence on the ground following a disappointing and uncharacteristic season running the ball in 2018.

“Harold Joiner will, I really believe, be a big part of what our plans are,” Malzahn said. “He’s very unique from the standpoint that he can do a lot of different things. We will have a specific plan for him during fall camp and this season. His versatility gives us a lot of freedom.”

Malzahn didn’t want to too far delve into what those plans were for Joiner, who has been compared to Charles Clay, the former Tulsa star who signed as a running back before developing into a versatile weapon at H-back during Malzahn’s time as offensive coordinator for the Golden Hurricane.

After spending some time at H-back last season, Joiner shifted full-time to Auburn’s running backs room this spring, withMalzahn drawing another comparison for the 6-foot-4, 215-pounder: former Auburn star and 2017 SEC Offensive Player of the Year Kerryon Johnson. It’s not so much that Joiner has the same type of game-changing ability that Johnson displayed during his time on the Plains, but more that he has the versatility that made Johnson a factor as a true freshman in 2015.

That year, Auburn used Johnson as a complementary player out of the backfield and as an option in the slot. That’s how Joiner was utilized this spring, and it culminated with an A-Day performance in which he had six carries for 21 yards and three receptions for 28 yards.

“He's a guy who can do multiple things, but I think he has found a home at the RB position,” Auburn running backs coach Cadillac Williams said in July. “So, I'm excited to get that opportunity, to get going with him and just let his talent shine. That guy is unbelievably talented. I just feel like it's our job now as coaches to get Harold going.”

Joiner has continued to rep at running back in fall camp, and he has seen time in the backfield when the Tigers have worked on split-back formations. He gives Auburn an intriguing option on offense as not just the Tigers’ tallest running back at 6-foot-4, but one of the team’s biggest receiver options (only Sal Cannella is taller among the Tigers’ receivers — not including tight ends Tyler Fromm and Luke Deal).

During Auburn’s first scrimmage of fall camp on Thursday, he got “quite a few carries” — a move that Malzahn said was by design, as Williams rotated running backs and was also without freshman D.J. Williams (shoulder).

Joiner took advantage of those opportunities, breaking off a long touchdown run with the second-team offense late in the scrimmage, despite Auburn’s overall offensive struggles on the day. He’ll have another chance during Wednesday’s second scrimmage as he continues to try to carve out a role in the offense heading into his redshirt freshman season.

Harold's really grown up,” right tackle Jack Driscoll said. “He really kind of matured at that running back position. One thing I've noticed about him., A, he's a tough kid; he's not afraid to take a hit. And B, he's really patient when he runs, which — sometimes when the defense shifts, or double-teams, sometimes it takes a second to develop. He's good at looking, looking and then going. Not just pressing it right away.

“For us we like blocking for everyone, we like blocking for Harold; he's a great player, and I think he'll give our offense more and more options and I think he can do a lot and help our team.”

7 hours ago, gr82be said:

I just went by the schedule posted above and they didn't practice Friday or Saturday with nothing scheduled for today. That leaves Monday as the lone practice before the second scrimmage. 

They practiced yesterday morning. 

Return to practice tomorrow. 

Dang, my dude "Dynamite" DJ Williams is a little banged up? Hope they give him time to let it heal properly. They have plenty of options at RB for that to happen, but he'll be in the mix when he's ready to go.

37 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Man I hope we don't suck at o line....that's the worst case scenario we can have

We will be in the top 7 in the West.

32 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Man I hope we don't suck at o line....that's the worst case scenario we can have

I hear you but I suggest our D line underachieving would be a worst case scenario - with our frosh/rs frosh QBs the D line will need to be on their game vs every top tier team this season.

34 minutes ago, aucanucktiger said:

I hear you but I suggest our D line underachieving would be a worst case scenario - with our frosh/rs frosh QBs the D line will need to be on their game vs every top tier team this season.

You actually make the point for the o line. The offensive players are young, they will need a solid foundation. Also no matter how good a defense is they will need ball control. 3 and outs won't do it. 

4 hours ago, cole256 said:

Are the running backs good as far as health? What has shivers been doing? I was hoping to see much more of him

Running 4th in the rotation... 🤬

6 minutes ago, bigbird said:

2nd

So he is running second? The pre scrimmage report had him running fourth and then the reports after basically said the rotations hadn’t changed. If he’s running second, I feel much better and can chill for a bit lol

11 minutes ago, Maverick.AU said:

So he is running second? The pre scrimmage report had him running fourth and then the reports after basically said the rotations hadn’t changed. If he’s running second, I feel much better and can chill for a bit lol

tenor.gif

4 hours ago, toddc said:

@DAG, for your man crush thread brother!

I really like this kid and he seems to be bucking the “not a tough runner monicker” he had when recruited, according to Driscoll. I think he can help the hurry up offense by staying in the game at several positions, including the wildcat.

Harold Joiner is settling in at running back, where Auburn wants to ‘let his talent shine’

Posted Aug 11, 8:31 AM

Todd Van Emst/AU Athletics

Auburn running back Harold Joiner runs a drill during the first day of fall camp on Aug. 2 at the Tigers' athletics complex.

0 shares

By Tom Green | tgreen@al.com

Gus Malzahn perked up when he mentioned the name of one of Auburn’s running back options this fall. It was back in July at SEC Media Days, and Malzahn was meeting with the local media in a suite at the Wynfrey in Hoover shortly before he took the stage in the main room.

That’s when he brought up “the Harold Joiner factor.”

“His skillset is unique,” Malzahn said. “And it’s different.”

The former four-star Mountain Brook prospect was a non-factor as a true freshman last season, when he redshirted while appearing in just two games and finished the season with three carries for 9 yards and a touchdown. Malzahn hopes to establish a bigger role for him this fall as the Tigers try to reestablish their presence on the ground following a disappointing and uncharacteristic season running the ball in 2018.

“Harold Joiner will, I really believe, be a big part of what our plans are,” Malzahn said. “He’s very unique from the standpoint that he can do a lot of different things. We will have a specific plan for him during fall camp and this season. His versatility gives us a lot of freedom.”

Malzahn didn’t want to too far delve into what those plans were for Joiner, who has been compared to Charles Clay, the former Tulsa star who signed as a running back before developing into a versatile weapon at H-back during Malzahn’s time as offensive coordinator for the Golden Hurricane.

After spending some time at H-back last season, Joiner shifted full-time to Auburn’s running backs room this spring, withMalzahn drawing another comparison for the 6-foot-4, 215-pounder: former Auburn star and 2017 SEC Offensive Player of the Year Kerryon Johnson. It’s not so much that Joiner has the same type of game-changing ability that Johnson displayed during his time on the Plains, but more that he has the versatility that made Johnson a factor as a true freshman in 2015.

That year, Auburn used Johnson as a complementary player out of the backfield and as an option in the slot. That’s how Joiner was utilized this spring, and it culminated with an A-Day performance in which he had six carries for 21 yards and three receptions for 28 yards.

“He's a guy who can do multiple things, but I think he has found a home at the RB position,” Auburn running backs coach Cadillac Williams said in July. “So, I'm excited to get that opportunity, to get going with him and just let his talent shine. That guy is unbelievably talented. I just feel like it's our job now as coaches to get Harold going.”

Joiner has continued to rep at running back in fall camp, and he has seen time in the backfield when the Tigers have worked on split-back formations. He gives Auburn an intriguing option on offense as not just the Tigers’ tallest running back at 6-foot-4, but one of the team’s biggest receiver options (only Sal Cannella is taller among the Tigers’ receivers — not including tight ends Tyler Fromm and Luke Deal).

During Auburn’s first scrimmage of fall camp on Thursday, he got “quite a few carries” — a move that Malzahn said was by design, as Williams rotated running backs and was also without freshman D.J. Williams (shoulder).

Joiner took advantage of those opportunities, breaking off a long touchdown run with the second-team offense late in the scrimmage, despite Auburn’s overall offensive struggles on the day. He’ll have another chance during Wednesday’s second scrimmage as he continues to try to carve out a role in the offense heading into his redshirt freshman season.

“Harold's really grown up,” right tackle Jack Driscoll said. “He really kind of matured at that running back position. One thing I've noticed about him., A, he's a tough kid; he's not afraid to take a hit. And B, he's really patient when he runs, which — sometimes when the defense shifts, or double-teams, sometimes it takes a second to develop. He's good at looking, looking and then going. Not just pressing it right away.

“For us we like blocking for everyone, we like blocking for Harold; he's a great player, and I think he'll give our offense more and more options and I think he can do a lot and help our team.”

Hell yes! Thank you for this. Feed the kid 

Archived