RB By Committe Approach in 2019?

aujeff11

@NorthGATiger 

Rejoice, the Gods are smiling upon you today. RB by committee is how Caddy wants Gus to do things for now on.

From B Matt:

Williams deserves a lot of credit for not just recruiting Bigsby, but also in helping to convince Gus Malzahn to make what I consider is a vital change in how he uses his running backs. If Malzahn sticks to his plan, Auburn will be going with a running back by committee approach this season and into the future, instead of trying to ride one running back to 1,200, 1,400 or more yards. Auburn’s top rivals such as Alabama and Georgia have been doing this a while now and it’s given them a recruiting advantage.

Young running backs know they only have so many carries, so many hard hits that they can safely take in their career, and entering the NFL as fresh and healthy as possibly has become more important to them than putting up record-breaking numbers. The committee approach also helps build depth and an esprit de corps among the group as well. It’s the right move, and now it’s up to Malzahn and his offensive coaches to ensure it’s applied successfully this season.

https://auburn.rivals.com/news/auburn-tigers-football-bmatt-s-monday-musings

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
50 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

@NorthGATiger 

Rejoice, the Gods are smiling upon you today. RB by committee is how Caddy wants Gus to do things for now on.

From B Matt:

Williams deserves a lot of credit for not just recruiting Bigsby, but also in helping to convince Gus Malzahn to make what I consider is a vital change in how he uses his running backs. If Malzahn sticks to his plan, Auburn will be going with a running back by committee approach this season and into the future, instead of trying to ride one running back to 1,200, 1,400 or more yards. Auburn’s top rivals such as Alabama and Georgia have been doing this a while now and it’s given them a recruiting advantage.

Young running backs know they only have so many carries, so many hard hits that they can safely take in their career, and entering the NFL as fresh and healthy as possibly has become more important to them than putting up record-breaking numbers. The committee approach also helps build depth and an esprit de corps among the group as well. It’s the right move, and now it’s up to Malzahn and his offensive coaches to ensure it’s applied successfully this season.

Really hoping it's true but with Gus I'm Missouri until I see it. If Caddy really does convince Gus to use more RBs in competitive situations then he will done a helluva job there.

Also Jeff you forgot @McLoofus. He & NorthGa have been tag team partners on this endeavor.

2 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Really hoping it's true but with Gus I'm Missouri until I see it. If Caddy really does convince Gus to use more RBs in competitive situations then he will done a helluva job there.

Also Jeff you forgot @McLoofus. He & NorthGa have been tag team partners on this endeavor.

Nah. Mcloofus rails against anything Gus does.

northugatiger is much more particular to this. 

12 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Agreed about show me, for sure. But man, I am going to enjoy the change at RB coach for now. 

Like we've said too many times, at least they're saying the right things. 

7 minutes ago, around4ever said:

We may see more of a by committee approach but I would be shocked if Gus doesn't make sure he has a 1000 yard rusher this season. 

My thought process is that if we spread the carries around appropriately, then we will have a 1,000 yard rusher. But it will more more like 1,200 yards than 1,600, and he will have a higher YPC than we've gotten used to, and there will be other guys with more yards and higher YPC than we're used to from RB2 and 3. 

Based on the depth chart? Yes. Based off Gus' history? No.

Gus will get his 1000 yard back even if he evens out the carries. If our backs are healthy and they rotate those guys will run defenses to the ground. 

With Tank coming in next year, most the RBs being sophomore or under, and assuming Malik transitions to FB then I’d say Gus has to to keep everyone happy.  The only way to do that is by committee.  Boobie 12-15, Worm 5-10, Kam 5-10, DJ 1-5, And MAR 1-5 for 4 games.

edit to assume Schwartz/Stove get 1-5 carries and whoever the QB is may get 10-15.  Higher if you assume Joey.

2 hours ago, aujeff11 said:

RB by committee is how Caddy wants Gus to do things for now on.

Does that mean we’ll see more or less of this?

gogogogo.0.0.gif

2 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

With Tank coming in next year, most the RBs being sophomore or under, and assuming Malik transitions to FB then I’d say Gus has to to keep everyone happy.  The only way to do that is by committee.  Boobie 12-15, Worm 5-10, Kam 5-10, DJ 1-5, And MAR 1-5 for 4 games.

You forgot Joiner who is at RB now.

2 minutes ago, Viper said:

gogogogo.0.0.gif

More if the different RBs are used to start each series instead of subbing them during the series.

4 minutes ago, Viper said:

gogogogo.0.0.gif

15-0 ship is in the bag.

1 minute ago, ellitor said:

You forgot Joiner who is at RB now.

I guess you also have to add Jay Jay in there as well.  Heard he’s trending more RB.  Gus is going to have to get creative unless he redshirts DJ as well.  Kam is too old to transfer out.  I feel like Boobie and Worm are here to stay.  Going to be interesting.

1 minute ago, Win4AU said:

I guess you also have to add Jay Jay in there as well. Heard he’s trending more RB.

Na. Jay Jay is a HB all the way. Any touches he may get would be in the passing game. Not sure that will happen much. He has potential to be a RB but no plans to use him there as of now.

Just now, Win4AU said:

I guess you also have to add Jay Jay in there as well.  Heard he’s trending more RB.  Gus is going to have to get creative unless he redshirts DJ as well.  Kam is too old to transfer out.  I feel like Boobie and Worm are here to stay.  Going to be interesting.

Really on Jay Jay? Where'd you hear that? I just can't fathom that, but who knows. 

MAR is more likely to redshirt than DJ, especially since he's having surgery, even though it's not major. 

I feel very bad for KMart. I think he's an extremely talented ball carrier for whom there somehow isn't a role in this offense. Unless potential health issues for Stove and Schwartz open up a slot sweep role for him. 

2 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Really on Jay Jay? Where'd you hear that? I just can't fathom that, but who knows. 

MAR is more likely to redshirt than DJ, especially since he's having surgery, even though it's not major. 

I feel very bad for KMart. I think he's an extremely talented ball carrier for whom there somehow isn't a role in this offense. Unless potential health issues for Stove and Schwartz open up a slot sweep role for him. 

Thought I heard Jay Tate say that this morning on JOX but I was also working so I may have mis heard him.  Kam has the speed but needs to be a little more patient and needs a little better vision to be a real threat. 

No doubt this has been a problem with Malzahn for years. Many of us have been vocal about running guys into the ground while having several able bodies on the bench getting very few if any carries. You don't get much experience standing on the sidelines, or going in for only very specific plays that the opposing D knows are coming. Cough...Devan Barrett...cough. 

3 hours ago, aujeff11 said:

@NorthGATiger 

From B Matt:

There's a lot of factors to consider with this approach.  RB by committee won't work if the offense is 3 and out.  We  have to establish the run first and that starts up front.  If we are able to consistenly move the ball (see 2013) then who gets the ball won't matter.  But, if we are struggling to even stay on the field past 3 plays then this approach won't be successful.   Most of the really good backs get stronger as the game goes on but change of pace players can help there as well.  Going from someone the defense can't catch to someone that runs them over is a big adjustment to make.   Let's hope it all works out that way regardless of how the RB's are used.

2 hours ago, ellitor said:

Well mcloofus blocked the guy so no point in even getting him on the prop train. With that being said, great thread @aujeff11 . I don’t know if this is going to be as promising as everyone wants it but it sounds right. 

15 minutes ago, DAG said:

Well mcloofus blocked the guy so no point in even getting him on the prop train. With that being said, great thread @aujeff11 . I don’t know if this is going to be as promising as everyone wants it but it sounds right. 

If we have a hot hand, I would be okay seeing a 2:1 series ration between primary back and relief back. I also wouldn’t mind seeing more 2 back sets and more pre-snap motion in conjunction with the return to pace play. 

Archived