RB By Committe Approach in 2019?

aujeff11

1 hour ago, WarTiger said:

There's a lot of factors to consider with this approach.  RB by committee won't work if the offense is 3 and out.  We  have to establish the run first and that starts up front.  If we are able to consistenly move the ball (see 2013) then who gets the ball won't matter.  But, if we are struggling to even stay on the field past 3 plays then this approach won't be successful.   Most of the really good backs get stronger as the game goes on but change of pace players can help there as well.  Going from someone the defense can't catch to someone that runs them over is a big adjustment to make.   Let's hope it all works out that way regardless of how the RB's are used.

Sometimes you have to also change up your personnel groupings.  Auburn would be deadly if they mixed in some two back sets.  If you have Worm and Boobie in the backfield together the possibilities are endless.  Wheel routes, motion out of the backfield ect.  It puts a ton of stress on the LB's especially if you are running a 2 LB set.  Not only do you now have run responsibility for the QB, RB#1, and RB#2 but you throw in the TE and really stress out the LB as to what his responsibilities are.  

Gus wants and likes to spread you out as far as possible and gash you with the run.  If he could somehow adapt to a 2 WR set with a TE and 2 backs then it could be deadly.  defenses have to worry about Schwartz type speed and Seth's size outside.  That requires safety help.  Those two would eat DBs up if they did not have help.  Then you find a TE that is a legitimate threat as a pass catching TE.  That stresses the LB and safeties.  Then you have a three headed monster at QB, RB, & RB running AND catching passes out of the backfield further stressing the defense both on the perimeter and up the middle.

That is how you attack a defense with our athletes.  One back and 4 WR makes it too easy for a good SEC defense to play nickel and stop the run.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
47 minutes ago, BigWhiskey91 said:

If we have a hot hand, I would be okay seeing a 2:1 series ration between primary back and relief back. I also wouldn’t mind seeing more 2 back sets and more pre-snap motion in conjunction with the return to pace play. 

This is true. I just don’t want it to get to a point of equal opportunity just for the sake. My thing is , there can be a #1 guy without compromising their carriers. Also, there can be different #1 guys depending on the team we are playing. For some teams, the hot hand might be the speed back, for others it might be a bruiser. What I would like to see is more situational awareness among the backs is all. 

34 minutes ago, NorthGATiger said:

Sometimes you have to also change up your personnel groupings.  Auburn would be deadly if they mixed in some two back sets.  If you have Worm and Boobie in the backfield together the possibilities are endless.  Wheel routes, motion out of the backfield ect.  It puts a ton of stress on the LB's especially if you are running a 2 LB set.  Not only do you now have run responsibility for the QB, RB#1, and RB#2 but you throw in the TE and really stress out the LB as to what his responsibilities are.  

Gus wants and likes to spread you out as far as possible and gash you with the run.  If he could somehow adapt to a 2 WR set with a TE and 2 backs then it could be deadly.  defenses have to worry about Schwartz type speed and Seth's size outside.  That requires safety help.  Those two would eat DBs up if they did not have help.  Then you find a TE that is a legitimate threat as a pass catching TE.  That stresses the LB and safeties.  Then you have a three headed monster at QB, RB, & RB running AND catching passes out of the backfield further stressing the defense both on the perimeter and up the middle.

That is how you attack a defense with our athletes.  One back and 4 WR makes it too easy for a good SEC defense to play nickel and stop the run.

While Worm should and will get carries at RB, he would be a better version of OMac/Grant lined up in that spot with Boobee, Williams or Joiner lined up at RB, if we were to run some of that zone read/inverted veer stuff. Joiner and Worm might actually be interchangeable at that spot and RB. Boobee and Joiner can both run the Wildcat... ugh... endless possibilities. 

This has been one of those weird blind spots for Gus for years now. We might have won a national championship if Kerryon had anything left at season's end in 2017. We have so many good players in the backfield now, there's no reason for anyone to have more than a dozen carries in any half this year. I'd love if a big body like Joiner came in for a few series in the third quarter and handed out some punishment. 

1 hour ago, BigWhiskey91 said:

If we have a hot hand, I would be okay seeing a 2:1 series ration between primary back and relief back. I also wouldn’t mind seeing more 2 back sets and more pre-snap motion in conjunction with the return to pace play. 

What's funny is that if Joey starts at QB, then the conversation gets murky again because he'll be taking a lot of carries away from the other guys. BUT... if the offense is effective, then there are going to be a LOT of carries to go around. Tre and Nick had almost 500 carries between them in 2013, lol. CAP and Nick had just over 450. And with Nick, you know that number wasn't skewed to heavily by sacks. But Tre and CAP both had so many carries that they could have had a full load and still given 100 carries away to RB2. 

1 hour ago, BigWhiskey91 said:

Tons of variables as WarTiger has said:

-pace, chemistry, hot hand, ball security, trust 

and As DAG said, some might just be more useful against certain teams than others.

A lot of it comes into play. 

2 hours ago, Viper said:
5 hours ago, aujeff11 said:

RB by committee is how Caddy wants Gus to do things for now on.

I think Coach Lac knows a thing or two about sharing carries and the potential benefits 

10 minutes ago, Zeek said:

I think Coach Lac knows a thing or two about sharing carries and the potential benefits 

He does indeed. Gruden ran him like a rented mule behind a horrible line. 

He also had a couple 40+ carry games at Auburn. 

5 hours ago, aujeff11 said:

@NorthGATiger 

Rejoice, the Gods are smiling upon you today. RB by committee is how Caddy wants Gus to do things for now on.

From B Matt:

Williams deserves a lot of credit for not just recruiting Bigsby, but also in helping to convince Gus Malzahn to make what I consider is a vital change in how he uses his running backs. If Malzahn sticks to his plan, Auburn will be going with a running back by committee approach this season and into the future, instead of trying to ride one running back to 1,200, 1,400 or more yards. Auburn’s top rivals such as Alabama and Georgia have been doing this a while now and it’s given them a recruiting advantage.

Young running backs know they only have so many carries, so many hard hits that they can safely take in their career, and entering the NFL as fresh and healthy as possibly has become more important to them than putting up record-breaking numbers. The committee approach also helps build depth and an esprit de corps among the group as well. It’s the right move, and now it’s up to Malzahn and his offensive coaches to ensure it’s applied successfully this season.

https://auburn.rivals.com/news/auburn-tigers-football-bmatt-s-monday-musings

If this is in fact true and Gus can stick to it, it will be a major change for the better. Matter of fact, I would almost consider calling it "seismic" in terms of change for the team and football program under Gus. It makes absolutely no sense to "run" one back into the turf, while 2 or 3 more are sitting on the bench and may be every bit as successful, when and if given the chance. I am hoping Caddy is able to make it happen.

4 hours ago, around4ever said:

We may see more of a by committee approach but I would be shocked if Gus doesn't make sure he has a 1000 yard rusher this season. 

I could see 2 if we can demonstrate that we can move the ball through the air.

1 hour ago, NorthGATiger said:

If you have Worm and Boobie in the backfield together the possibilities are endless.  

I'd like to see Joiner and Worm in a split back look.

By committee by no means an even number of carries, duh!  But what I am saying is I think we will have one guy get the majority (the hot hand theory) of carries (40-50%).   As for a two back set, Big Bird is right, Cadillac and Brown were able to make that work.  Can you imagine Worm and DJ or Boobie, together?   The D will certainly have a hard time 'picking up'  Worm until he is in the hole or past the tackle.   Just hard to see his helmet. 

Joiner: what kind of back has he been this spring and summer?  what is his role?

I honestly hope Worm is on the field for over half the plays this year.   So versatile, with big play ability, playmaker.

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

While Worm should and will get carries at RB, he would be a better version of OMac/Grant lined up in that spot with Boobee, Williams or Joiner lined up at RB, if we were to run some of that zone read/inverted veer stuff. Joiner and Worm might actually be interchangeable at that spot and RB. Boobee and Joiner can both run the Wildcat... ugh... endless possibilities. 

Now you got me thinking about the sweet spot  of Gus Malzahn using a multi running back offense with Darren McFadden and  Felix Jones  back in the day for Arkansas 

27 minutes ago, bigbird said:

I could see 2 if we can demonstrate that we can move the ball through the air.

I'd like to see Joiner and Worm in a split back look.

I hope Joiner gets the opportunity to prove himself.  

6 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Now you got me thinking about the sweet spot  of Gus Malzahn using a multi running back offense with Darren McFadden and  Felix Jones  back in the day for Arkansas 

Malzahn doesn’t mind using two backs, would’ve done so in 2017 if Pettway stayed around. Still, Gus prefers having a go to guy.

Mcfadden still got 284 carries in 06 while Felix got 150+. 

Just now, aujeff11 said:

Malzahn doesn’t mind using two backs, would’ve done so in 2017 if Pettway stayed around. Still, Gus prefers having a go to guy.

Mcfadden still got 284 carries in 06 while Felix got 150+. 

Didn't mind it for sure at one point but I agree with one of Bird's thoughts a while back in thinking Gus fell in love with using 1 RB in important situations because of the 2013 season & that stymied him there for a while.

3 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Didn't mind it for sure at one point but I agree with one of Bird's thoughts a while back in thinking Gus fell in love with using 1 RB in important situations because of the 2013 season & that stymied him there for a while.

That’s a reasonable thought for sure. 

2 hours ago, DAG said:

This is true. I just don’t want it to get to a point of equal opportunity just for the sake. My thing is , there can be a #1 guy without compromising their carriers. Also, there can be different #1 guys depending on the team we are playing. For some teams, the hot hand might be the speed back, for others it might be a bruiser. What I would like to see is more situational awareness among the backs is all. 

Gus kinda did that against Purdue. Kam started that game not Boobee because of the speed advantage

2 hours ago, McLoofus said:

What's funny is that if Joey starts at QB, then the conversation gets murky again because he'll be taking a lot of carries away from the other guys. BUT... if the offense is effective, then there are going to be a LOT of carries to go around. Tre and Nick had almost 500 carries between them in 2013, lol. CAP and Nick had just over 450. And with Nick, you know that number wasn't skewed to heavily by sacks. But Tre and CAP both had so many carries that they could have had a full load and still given 100 carries away to RB2. 

No doubt. I really want to see Gatewood and Shivers in the same backfield. Defense will have to pick its poison! 

2 hours ago, aujeff11 said:

Tons of variables as WarTiger has said:

-pace, chemistry, hot hand, ball security, trust 

and As DAG said, some might just be more useful against certain teams than others.

A lot of it comes into play. 

Absolutely. I keep feeling like I did in preseason 2013, lots of talk about the RBs and Tre Mason kinda got overlooked. I feel like Whitlow may be like Mason. Honestly, I dont care, if we are putting out some yardage like 2013, Ill let the board vote on my profile pic.

4 hours ago, NorthGATiger said:

Are you available for less than $49 million or whatever the buyout is now?

16 hours ago, ellitor said:

That was largely in part due to the fact that Marshall was at QB.  Nobody could stop him when he kept the ball.  The zone read with Marshall and Mason was a thing of beauty.  Only need 1 RB on the field with Marshall taking snaps.   Having Marshall for 2 years probably ingrained that into Gus even more and made it hard for him to get away from it.

58 minutes ago, WarTiger said:

Having Marshall for 2 years probably ingrained that into Gus even more and made it hard for him to get away from it.

We are talking about a ($7) million/year man here. It seems to me we are banking on external influences to prod him in the direction we think he needs to move. I  find this very concerning.

Archived