Practice News & Notes: 8/12

ellitor

3 hours ago, twilli13 said:

Definitely. Feel like they already messed up last season. For the life of me, I just dont understand why Gus, a guy with an offense absolutely predicated on the run game, wont hire an elite o line coach. Nothing against Grimes, he seems like a fiery sob and nice man, but this is the SEC. You need the Xs and Os and the Jimmy's and Joe's. It's a dog eat dog world. Maybe Gus has tried but cant get one due to his 'unique' style of offense. Maybe I have no clue what I'm talking about. All I know is what I see with o line recruiting and performance. 

So who would you recommend AU hire? 

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Howard Roark said:

So who would you recommend AU hire? 

I don't have an opinion one way or the other on whether JB should be retained or not, but I did like the lines that Jeff Grimes produced.  However, I see that he's an OC at BYU now, so he probably would not be interested.

23 minutes ago, gravejd said:

Herb Hand seems to be thought of as an elite OL coach in some circles. He keeps getting highly thought of jobs anyway (Penn State --> Au --> Texas)

Texas is kinda the first big gig for him that wasn’t based on a prior link (could be wrong on that). Franklin brought Hand with him to Penn State from Vandy. Gus brought him to Auburn from his time at Tulsa. He was supposed to bolster OL recruiting. That didn’t happen, but many speculated that it’s becuase Gus/we limited the OL recruit targets and had no contingency plan for the recruits we missed on. 

We did have some crafty work with having some guys that could play several positions on the OL and I like to think Hand did a good job making sure we had a few OL that could be versatile like that. We will see once this season starts though if Grimes can improve the folks we have. Also, this post was just my understanding of the situation regarding Hand, so if our Recruiting folks on the board know this is incorrect, please tell me!

14 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

At the moment I would be a little worried

What is the issue?  Kim, Horton, Driscoll?  The left side with Tega and Harrell seems to be solid right?

5 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

What is the issue?  Kim, Horton, Driscoll?  The left side with Tega and Harrell seems to be solid right?

Nothing stands out just average at best Kim seems a little better then last year. So hopefully going thru the year they will get better like last year. Also they are going up against a very good d-line have to keep that in mind. Just keep your fingers crossed no one gets hurt

13 hours ago, JDUBB4AU said:

Where is the football on a string??

It appears at 3:28 in the video.  

10 hours ago, Randman5000 said:

Rhett got mad and took that thing with him

It appears Dilly brought his own version with a net over the ball and a bigger rubber band.  I’ve been waiting for this to appear, it’s like the nip watch for me, I know the season is near and they’re getting serious about naming a starting QB.

The offensive line is so tricky. Even our elite recruits have been shaky recently. I don’t profess to be an expert at knowing line play, but I feel that it is a crapshoot with finding the right coach. 

23 minutes ago, DAG said:

The offensive line is so tricky. Even our elite recruits have been shaky recently. I don’t profess to be an expert at knowing line play, but I feel that it is a crapshoot with finding the right coach

Having played as a pulling OG through HS...I know that doesn't compare with SEC football...technique is SO IMPORTANT (I don't care how big one is).  I wasn't particularly big (5'11" - 220 lbs) but almost always had the leverage because I understood staying low and aggressive. 

I ranted quite a bit last season about the passive stance the AU line takes, especially since Gus emphasizes the run, that gives a huge advantage to the Defensive front who's usually in attack mode.  I'm not sure if that's on Gus or Grimes or if it was Lindsey but that's something I'm going to be really watching this season.  I hope they will be aggressive this year.

Some tidbits from 247

Tyrone Truesdell continues to work with first string defense at the vacant DT spot. He’s done well this camp. Coe could line up there some. 

Boobie is practicing like he knows he’s first string and coaches are trying to push him They had Harold Joiner at first string yesterday. (IMO it’s incredibly hot out there, and business decisions are being made so nbd, but had a similar report in spring practice where Tega told him him to stop being lazy.) 

Brandon continues to feel good about his prediction of Nix being named the starter.  

Hastings returned to run routes and some position drills, but Stove remains out. 

Farrar has been talked up by Noah, but there are some reports that his hands have been inconsistent in fall camp. Has yet to break out.  

Frosh OL Justin Osborne continues to impress and could play this season as a backup at right guard. Jalil Irvin is also playing well.  

Brodarious Hamm seems to be solidifying his spot as primary backup behind Jack Driscoll. 

Aaryn Siposs has been incredibly accurate in ball placement throughout camp.  

Injuries: In my own words....I counted up 13 (6 true freshmen plus others that are backups that don’t seem to be working their way up any time soon.) Coynis still has an injured shoulder,, and I don’t know the status there.  

Practice today will be at 3pm.  

Tomorrow: second scrimmage 

1 hour ago, Win4AU said:

Herb seems to be killing it in recruiting at Texas.

Any news about Shadrick Jackson?  WRs dropping like flies lately.

tap the brakes on giving Hand too much credit at Texas.    Big state, tons of talent and most kids grow up wanting to play for Texas.  It's an easy sell for Hand.  They basically compete against Oklahoma and little bit against TAMU for kids.   All others are not comparable.

At what point do we worry that Eli Stove's knee is entering "Carl Lawson's knee" territory? 

1 hour ago, augolf1716 said:

Just keep your fingers crossed no one gets hurt

Soo much this! While at least a couple guys are showing good signs of development in Bro-Hamm & Keiondre Jones it's going to take them some more time.

32 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Soo much this! While at least a couple guys are showing good signs of development in Bro-Hamm & Keiondre Jones it's going to take them some more time.

Wasn’t Stutts getting some good recognition in the spring? Have seen no mention of him this fall.

I love that I saw AS roll out a little and do an Aussie punt.  I know this won't be the bread and butter, but man if we could get this going, the fake punt would be like taking candy from a baby.

57 minutes ago, WalkingCarpet said:

At what point do we worry that Eli Stove's knee is entering "Carl Lawson's knee" territory? 

When Gus says he’s day to day for 4 weeks straight.

No clue if it means anything but a source that was at the entire practice yesterday told the people at SportsRadio740 in Montgomery that Bo had all the 1str team reps yesterday.

31 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Well I know when it’s time to concede

i wish Bo the absolute best 

giphy.gif

54 minutes ago, ellitor said:

No clue if it means anything but a source that was at the entire practice yesterday told the people at SportsRadio740 in Montgomery that Bo had all the 1str team reps yesterday.

I expect an announcement after tomorrow’s scrimmage. This isn’t any insider info, just a guess off of what we’ve been hearing the past week 

8 minutes ago, AuburnTiger4Life said:

I expect an announcement after tomorrow’s scrimmage. This isn’t any insider info, just a guess off of what we’ve been hearing the past week 

I'm starting to think Gus may not make an official announcement.

I have been in the Bo camp for the most part but I had suspicious thoughts maybe this was all a smoke screen to hide JG being the starter, but I now realize the cons to that would outweigh the pros. Yes it could give a slight edge in OU not knowing who to prepare, but no more than just not making a decision. Plus the starter needs to be getting as many reps with 1s as possible. So I give my official Prognosis......Bo Nix

21 minutes ago, ellitor said:

I'm starting to think Gus may not make an official announcement.

I hope he doesn’t.  We need for Oregon to have to prepare for both qb’s all the way to game time.  Hopefully, Gus can pick a starter and manage to keep it quiet till the pregame interview.

Archived