Practice News & Notes: 8/14 (Scrimmage #2)

ellitor

56 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

A2E, DAG posted this as a direct response to my post to him.  You have to see the context..

He's not saying that we fans haven't been "fans" of one over the other.  He and I were simply pointing out that it's not personal in most of our cases. 

IE: I've been Team Joey not because I think he's a finer young man nor player than Bo nor vice verse for a Team Bo person.  We are Team **** depending on knowing Gus' history, our expectation of how Gus is truly going to run the offense, how the QB position will be utilized, etc.

Therefore, if Gus could make the offense work properly by using Sandberg then I'd be team Cord.

I feel you. I guess I didn't understand the context. With it said like that, I fully agree.

• Replies 905
  • Created
  • Last Reply
54 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Well I was going to post if you haven't seen people on this board preferring one or the other it's funny how people can read the same thing and interpret it different ways but I sincerely don't want to fuss and fight about it. But to me that seems obvious

I'm glad I wasn't the only one who read it that way. 

To steal a gif from Jeff...

giphy.gif

Can grad transfer Jay Jay Wilson give Auburn versatility it has lacked at H-back?

Updated Aug 17, 7:23 AM;Posted Aug 17, 7:00 AM

Todd Van Emst/AU Athletics

Jay Jay Wilson makes a catch Wednesday. Auburn football practice, scrimmage 2, on Wednesday, Aug. 14, 2019 in Auburn, Ala. Todd Van Emst/AU Athletics

1 share

By Tom Green | tgreen@al.com

Kenny Dillingham prides himself on relationship-building, particularly when it comes to his players.

It’s that ability that played what Auburn’s first-year offensive coordinator described as a “vital” role in bringing graduate transfer H-back Jay Jay Wilson to the Plains from Arizona State this offseason. Dillingham and Wilson previously spent time together with the Sun Devils, when Dillingham was a graduate assistant working the tight ends.

“I knew him, and he trusted me,” Dillingham said. “… I think it's twofold. When you have those relationships at the end of the day, I think those guys can trust you whether it's now or whether it's in 10 years. And that was just an example of that relationship coming back to help. It was positive.”

Now that Wilson’s on campus, Auburn is banking on the 6-foot-3, 249-pounder playing a vital role in the offense this season as the Tigers try to reshape the way they utilize the H-back/tight end position.

“He has a skillset that we haven’t had around here in a while,” tight ends/H-backs coach Larry Porter said. “He’s given us some options and some versatility in our offense that will allow us to do some different things and really and truly showcase our tight end position.”

For the majority of the last four seasons, Auburn has relied on Chandler Cox as the starting H-back while rotating personnel at tight end. Over that span, the two positions combined for 34 receptions for 319 yards and four touchdowns, with three of those coming on gadget plays.

There was an uptick in that production last season, when they caught 16 passes for 154 yards and two scores, but Auburn wants to do more with the H-back and tight end roles this year by consolidating it into one position with more versatility.

That’s where Wilson enters the picture.

Since arriving on campus, Wilson has shown an eagerness to ingratiate himself with his new teammates and a work ethic that has impressed those around the program. With only one year of eligibility remaining, Wilson understands that his time at Auburn is limited, and he wants to make the most of this season and quickly earn the trust of his teammates on and off the field.

“That boy is a dog,” running back Boobee Whitlow said. “I like that guy. That boy is a dog. I like him a lot. The boy is a dog, though. It's just his work ethic, man. A guy comes in here and didn't really talk that much, he lets his play on the field speak for itself. He came in here and wasn't like one of the type of the guys who were doing that hoo-rah, hoo-rah, but when he steps on the field — he just turns the lights on. It's on from there.

Wilson’s size makes him one of the bigger receiving and blocking options among Auburn’s skill position players. Given his history as not just a tight end but as a linebacker last season with the Sun Devils, he’s not afraid to stick his face in the fan and serve either as a lead-blocker for the run game or in pass protection — even when going up against the likes of Marlon Davidson, Nick Coe, Big Kat Bryant and T.D. Moultry off the edge.

“Those are probably some guys with a skill set that he’s not used to seeing on a daily basis, which has allowed him to grow in that area,” Porter said.

While Wilson still has room to grow as a blocker, that willingness and effort should go a long way in that aspect of his game. As far as the receiving facet, he has thus far proven to be an incredibly reliable option in the passing game during fall camp.

Until Wednesday’s scrimmage at Jordan-Hare Stadium, Wilson had not dropped a single pass thrown his way. Even that missed target wasn’t all on him. According to running back Kam Martin, it came on a pass break-up by a defender.

“Jay Jay. Jay Jay Wilson, man; he’s a baller,” Martin said. “… I feel like Jay Jay is going to have a good year.”

Wilson’s integration into the fold has given Auburn a different dynamic on offense this preseason, with Martin remarking on just how fluid the offense looks when Wilson is on the field.

The ability of Wilson to seamlessly move from H-back to tight end — and even the capability to play some receiver and, if necessary, some running back, according to Malzahn — and be successful in those roles should go a long way toward what Auburn wants to do offensively this season. Malzahn has put a renewed emphasis on pace this offseason, noting that in order to do so, limiting substitutions in certain situations will be critical.

That’s why Wilson’s versatility is so important, because if he can be effective at H-back/tight end, Auburn will have an easier time keeping the same personnel on the field regardless of the formation. It’s a possibility that Porter said is exciting to think about as the season approaches.

“He can do a lot of different things,” Dillingham said. “He's a really good athlete. He's a physical dude. He's what you want to be that guy to kind of do it all.”

Tom Green is an Auburn beat reporter for Alabama Media Group. Follow him on Twitter @Tomas_Verde.

10 hours ago, Mikey said:

I think there are enough quality backups that should multiple injuries happen other guys will step up and do a serviceable job.

I disagree, but respect your consistency.

12 hours ago, DAG said:

It is crazy to me that we have Joey fans and Bo fans smh. Preference is one thing, but my goodness.

People take sides over starting QBs?

tenor.gif?itemid=4634677

1 minute ago, Viper said:

People take sides over starting QBs?

People have their preference. I have mine, but that doesn't mean I won't support the other if they get the starting job.

2 hours ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

Have you paid attention? 

There is a very minimal amount of independent fans. Most that I've seen prefer one to the other. 

Doesn't really matter because both will play at first and whoever takes over the position will have the support of the fanbase I'm sure. 

I mean it's not like @aujeff11 and I will be mad about pulling for a 5* legacy QB if he wins the job. 

If the injury is inside this is an accurate statement. 

If it's to one of (or Odin forbid) both of our OTs that's a different story. We have recruited very well inside. We haven't recruited worth a crap on the outside of the line... Anyone who says or suggests otherwise is lying, or selling something.

Why do you keep tagging other people? Lol I know where Jeff stand and I respect it . I don’t know why you keep ranting at me. I don’t care about your preference. 

2 hours ago, AUsince72 said:

A2E, DAG posted this as a direct response to my post to him.  You have to see the context..

He's not saying that we fans haven't been "fans" of one over the other.  He and I were simply pointing out that it's not personal in most of our cases. 

IE: I've been Team Joey not because I think he's a finer young man nor player than Bo nor vice verse for a Team Bo person.  We are Team **** depending on knowing Gus' history, our expectation of how Gus is truly going to run the offense, how the QB position will be utilized, etc.

Therefore, if Gus could make the offense work properly by using Sandberg then I'd be team Cord.

Thank you . Like i said I completely understand what you and Jeff are saying. I don’t know why some of these other dudes who clearly have their preferences keep trying to engage me and poke the tiger. I have fell back quite a bit on this thread. 

18 minutes ago, DAG said:

I don’t know why some of these other dudes who clearly have their preferences keep trying to engage me and poke the tiger.

batonrougehangover_medium.gif

To me it's not about one or the other QB it's about real info and fake. Likeafter the first scrimmage nix had 3 int's.....but people come back and say jg struggled throwing that day and not nix because they have a favorite. That's the only issue I've had. The great thing about sports is settling it on the field. That's all I care about

2 hours ago, DAG said:

Why do you keep tagging other people? Lol I know where Jeff stand and I respect it . I don’t know why you keep ranting at me. I don’t care about your preference. 

I certainly wasn't trying to rant at you at all DAG. I apologise it came out that way. Perhaps you replied before seeing me agree after I understood context? Eh... It is what it is. 

And I tagged Jeff since he is as big a Gatewood fan as I am. I don't see why that should even be an issue?

34 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

I certainly wasn't trying to rant at you at all DAG. I apologise it came out that way. Perhaps you replied before seeing me agree after I understood context? Eh... It is what it is. 

And I tagged Jeff since he is as big a Gatewood fan as I am. I don't see why that should even be an issue?

Well it keeps getting rehashed and rehashed when in reality I wasn’t attacking any person who rationalizes like Jeff just did. I have no issue with people having preferences. I have preferences . My issue is people getting defensive about it. 

2 hours ago, Viper said:

batonrougehangover_medium.gif

There's no way that Nicky doesn't have to use a footstool to pee. 

1 minute ago, DAG said:

Well it keeps getting rehashed and rehashed when in reality I wasn’t attacking any person who rationalizes like Jeff just did. I have no issue with people having preferences. I have preferences . My issue is people getting defensive about it. 

It’s all good. Marcello says there may be like a tiny scrimmage tomorrow. I’m guessing situational stuff. Rivals continue to say Nix good, JG struggling after today’s practice. 

12 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

It’s all good. Marcello says there may be like a tiny scrimmage tomorrow. I’m guessing situational stuff. Rivals continue to say Nix good, JG struggling after today’s practice. 

Although I love that Nix is (allegedly) living up to his potential, I really hate to hear that JG is struggling. Many have said he’s a different QB when he’s allowed to go live so maybe that’s the case 

I'm just not seeing how anyone can be thinking the JG transfers if he isn't the starter. First of all I think he will play situationally if Bo gets the starting job. Second is that Joey is most assuredly a smart young man who has to understand that he is struggling to make throws and decisions that put the offense in a good place or at least as well as Bo has. Because of that I just feel that he will stick around. We all know he was a part-time QB in HS and he does too. Maybe I'm naive but this guy was committed to Auburn a long time I think he'll commit to seeing it through. If he's beaten out by a better player then I'm thinking he gets that. It would be different if there wasn't a hair's breadth of difference between them but they have different skillsets. He's not being slighted here if Bo is simply the better option. I just think Joey is a big enough young man to understand he has work to do. 

Of course I can be wrong too, just ask my wife. 

7 minutes ago, AuburnTiger4Life said:

Although I love that Nix is (allegedly) living up to his potential, I really hate to hear that JG is struggling. Many have said he’s a different QB when he’s allowed to go live so maybe that’s the case 

I imagine we are doing a whole lot of situational stuff that require acumen and quick decision making. If so, his athleticism isn’t going to help much anyway. 

I don’t trust Rivals for their word either. Just sharing because sharing is caring right.

50 minutes ago, gr82be said:

I'm just not seeing how anyone can be thinking the JG transfers if he isn't the starter. First of all I think he will play situationally if Bo gets the starting job. Second is that Joey is most assuredly a smart young man who has to understand that he is struggling to make throws and decisions that put the offense in a good place or at least as well as Bo has. Because of that I just feel that he will stick around. We all know he was a part-time QB in HS and he does too. Maybe I'm naive but this guy was committed to Auburn a long time I think he'll commit to seeing it through. If he's beaten out by a better player then I'm thinking he gets that. It would be different if there wasn't a hair's breadth of difference between them but they have different skillsets. He's not being slighted here if Bo is simply the better option. I just think Joey is a big enough young man to understand he has work to do. 

I know people think I am competent against JG but I have been and always will root for the guy. I remember when Justin fields was “interested” and how a great many was ready to kick him to the curb, yet he stuck through it and I appreciate that.

1 hour ago, gr82be said:

I did ask her. And she said you were wrong again for asking me to ask her. 😁

Watching this 2013 SEC championship... nobody  could Stop us from running the ball. Running back, quarterback, we just ran over them. Our offensive line hammered them. 

32 minutes ago, DAG said:

I know people think I am competent against JG but I have been and always will root for the guy. I remember when Justin fields was “interested” and how a great many was ready to kick him to the curb, yet he stuck through it and I appreciate that.

I appreciate that fact too. We haven't seen much of him on the field but the way he handled his recruiting and commitment was impressive to me. He's the type of player that will represent Auburn the way it should be. I just don't want anyone selling him short thinking he'll just pack up and go.  I mean I know it's cliche but he could be one play away at any time and I am thrilled about the possibilities of both of our guys. It's like an Allstate commercial... we're in good hands. 

3 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

Watching this 2013 SEC championship... nobody  could Stop us from running the ball. Running back, quarterback, we just ran over them. Our offensive line hammered them. 

But our defense.... 😖

Archived