Assistant Coaches Interviews: 8/15/19

Auburn Kev

1 minute ago, aujeff11 said:

Thanks for proving that I’m not moving the goalposts. 

Hahaha, really? Way to ignore the entire conversation to cherry pick one sentence.

Conversation about potential vs actual. Now claiming it's always been about team strengths.

Goalpost...moved. Clown

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

“we were a bonafide pass rusher from being Clemson level.”

Well the pass rusher & the depth they had. Our big 3 DL are bad A no doubt  but if we don't have depth behind them they are going to get tired & likely hurt their & overall DL production.

6 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Auburn’s returning starters are actual evidence that the DL will be a strength.

6 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Preseason Top 8? Can go up or down. Preseason rankings are pointless anyway. 

Where was the goalpost moved? 

7 minutes ago, bigbird said:

2018: Auburn has one of the best DL in the country. Unrealized potential

Foolishness

Which was my point when I asked the question that bird posted. Then I received face palms and all of that when I'm one of the people that's actually thinking and knows what all goes into claiming to being the best in the country. 

This convo initially came from people literally trying to make an excuse for poor o line play by saying they are going upagainst the best in the nation when even the coaches are saying we don't have depth there. It was ridiculous to do and think people can be trolled by others that are locked into simple concepts then become angry when challenged.

It was NEVER about anybody disagreeing we have some good players returning, that was always a distractor being trolled

5 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Well the pass rusher & the depth they had. Our big 3 DL are bad A no doubt  but if we don't have depth behind them they are going to get tired & likely hurt their & overall DL production.

Our depth at DT will be very concerning next year,  until then, I expect Coe and Davidson to play inside and out. Plus Miller possibly being ready by the Oregon game. He actually said on Instagram he’s already been cleared but he may be trolling. 

6 minutes ago, cole256 said:

This convo initially came from people literally trying to make an excuse for poor o line play by saying they are going upagainst the best in the nation when even the coaches are saying we don't have depth there.

I agree that excuse was lame. Even the 2s on D were beating our 1s on offense. 

20 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

1st it was a conversation about Potential vs actual as presented below.

On 8/15/2019 at 5:30 AM, bigbird said:

Because potential vs actual is a trying concept for fans.

On 8/15/2019 at 5:39 AM, aujeff11 said:

Coe

+

Brown

+

Davidson

actual

On 8/15/2019 at 6:00 AM, bigbird said:

Wrong. Like I said, a trying concept. Until they play this year and until they finish as one of the best DL in the country, then it's all potential. 

2018: Pre-season rank #3

2019: Auburn has one of the best DL in the country. Potential

2019: Pre-season #8

Then it you claimed I was fighting about DL being a strength. See below.

1 hour ago, aujeff11 said:

No what was beyond silly was fighting back against our DL being a team strength when 99% of our fans and most coaches would agree as well. 

Then I asked...

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

When did I ever say they wouldn't be a strength? I've said multiple times they should be a strength, but until they prove it, it's just potential. A concept that you still can't comprehend. 

In response to my comment about DL being a strength. You claimed...

When was my argument ever anything but such? 

So first, when discussing potential vs actual, you claimed Coe + Brown + Davidson = actual. Then you shifted to claim your argument was anything but DL being a strength.

That is moving the goalpost.

I missed something....We went from coach interviews to a quick escalation.   

Obviously our d-line has the history to prove they are going to be our strength  on d.   The LB play is going to be the difference to get that run/play reduced.    Last year we had 2 issues, we missed a Jeff Holland and Tre Williams.  

I am impressed with the commitment put into the argument, I get bored after a few posts.   

9 minutes ago, bigbird said:

So first, when discussing potential vs actual, you claimed Coe + Brown + Davidson = actual. Then you shifted to claim your argument was anything but DL being a strength.

Thanks for your cherry picked posts but my original argument as you pointed out was:

35 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Auburn’s returning starters are actual evidence that the DL will be a strength

@bigbird :waveoff:

10 minutes ago, bigbird said:
36 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

1st it was a conversation about Potential vs actual as presented below.

On 8/15/2019 at 6:30 AM, bigbird said:

Because potential vs actual is a trying concept for fans.

On 8/15/2019 at 6:39 AM, aujeff11 said:

Coe

+

Brown

+

Davidson

actual

On 8/15/2019 at 7:00 AM, bigbird said:

Wrong. Like I said, a trying concept. Until they play this year and until they finish as one of the best DL in the country, then it's all potential. 

2018: Pre-season rank #3

2019: Auburn has one of the best DL in the country. Potential

2019: Pre-season #8

Then it you claimed I was fighting about DL being a strength. See below.

No what was beyond silly was fighting back against our DL being a team strength when 99% of our fans and most coaches would agree as well. 

Then I asked...

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

When did I ever say they wouldn't be a strength? I've said multiple times they should be a strength, but until they prove it, it's just potential. A concept that you still can't comprehend. 

In response to my comment about DL being a strength. You claimed...

When was my argument ever anything but such? 

That is moving the goalpost.

tumblr_p92h1hrWS51vdafudo1_500.gif

tumblr_p92h1hrWS51vdafudo2_500.gif

source.gif

7 minutes ago, lala said:

I missed something....We went from coach interviews to a quick escalation.   

Obviously our d-line has the history to prove they are going to be our strength  on d.   The LB play is going to be the difference to get that run/play reduced.    Last year we had 2 issues, we missed a Jeff Holland and Tre Williams.  

I am impressed with the commitment put into the argument, I get bored after a few posts.   

giphy.gif

5 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Thanks for your cherry picked posts but my original argument as you pointed out was:

@bigbird :waveoff:

Sometime ego is a terrible thing.

28 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Just scanned this page again. This page may be talking about the Auburn OL. Evidence: Introductory sentence:

Pulling the ideas mostly from Football Outsiders’ pro stats, below are the following offensive line stats for each of FBS' 128 schools.”

Last year should have been THE YEAR for our D. We had this year's returning guys plus solid seniors in D. Russell and A. Williams in the interior. They were backed by three senior linebackers. During last year's season opener against Washington, the term "Best front seven in college football" was used more than once. One might call last year's D solid in most games, but they simply didn't live up to their potential.

I hope they show out this season but I'm going to have to see it to believe it. On paper, last year's defense should have been better than this year's but it ended up being ordinary.

Man I tell ya what, this place needs a cleansing.

So little actual conversation can be had around here these days that it's actually sad. I really miss some of the better posters that simply avoid any more than just skimming threads due to the contentious or egotistical vibe lurking around the corner. 

14 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Last year should have been THE YEAR for our D. We had this year's returning guys plus solid seniors in D. Russell and A. Williams in the interior. They were backed by three senior linebackers. During last year's season opener against Washington, the term "Best front seven in college football" was used more than once. One might call last year's D solid in most games, but they simply didn't live up to their potential.

I hope they show out this season but I'm going to have to see it to believe it. On paper, last year's defense should have been better than this year's but it ended up being ordinary.

We were only missing a pass rusher. Lot of the ills weren’t on the DL.

What Malzahn says:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/al.com/auburnfootball/2019/08/could-auburn-have-its-best-defense-of-the-last-decade-gus-malzahn-thinks-so.html%3foutputType=amp

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

I am not taking sides in the big picture of the argument you & Bird are having but come on now Jeff you have to know better. You've been around here long enough to know Coach Steele doesn't do coach speak. He rarely if ever has. One of the things all the AU reporters have said they enjoy & is refreshing about him is his straight forward nature in answering question when he can answer them.

Yes agreeing about Coach Steele being as genuine as they come. That also comes from personal experience with the Steele family. His parents attended the church my dad pastored at years ago.  Steele has been the best hire of the Malzahn head coaching tenure IMO. In the article it mentions him being the first DC to be here 4 seasons in the last 30 years! Back to the Coach Dye days. Consistency. 

6 minutes ago, Mikey said:

On paper yes but the game as we all know is played on the field. When the ordinary offense can't stay on the field then the solid D will eventually wear down and look ordinary at times. With many teams playing at a faster pace now the defense can't be asked to play 40 minutes while the offense plays 20. They wear down and you get ordinary moments. If the offense can help the defense out this year then I think it can be one of the best. 

3 minutes ago, gr82be said:

On paper yes but the game as we all know is played on the field. When the ordinary offense can't stay on the field then the solid D will eventually wear down and look ordinary at times. With many teams playing at a faster pace now the defense can't be asked to play 40 minutes while the offense plays 20. They wear down and you get ordinary moments. If the offense can help the defense out this year then I think it can be one of the best. 

When LSU rushes 42 times for a 2.9 yard average and had to deploy a max protect defense in the second half, I would assume the DL was better than ordinary. But that’s just me. Agree?

For me, I was bitching at our DL during the game but tape tells a different story. 

6 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

When LSU rushes 42 times for a 2.9 yard average and had to deploy a max protect defense in the second half, I would assume the DL was better than ordinary. But that’s just me. Agree?

For me, I was bitching at our DL during the game but tape tells a different story. 

Our D was certainly better than ordinary but as the saying goes, you can only go to the well so many times before it dries up. 

7 minutes ago, gr82be said:

Our D was certainly better than ordinary but as the saying goes, you can only go to the well so many times before it dries up. 

The D talking about the O in a post-game interview...

tenor.gif

4 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

The D talking about the O in a post-game interview...

tenor.gif

The D talking to Stidham during one of our losses...

giphy-241.gif

7 minutes ago, gr82be said:

giphy-241.gif

The Tennessee game for sure.  I seent it. 

22 hours ago, ellitor said:

Especially if the offense can't sustain drives. 

Here are how Clemson (since they are the current gold standard for literally everything) as well as the other SEC teams and teams on our schedule that finished ahead of us in total D ranked in total offense and TOP:

1. MSU- 70th, 38th
5. Clemson- 3rd, 95th
12. Washington- 54th, 23rd
13. uga- 18th, 35thth
16. bama- 6th, 52nd
23. UK- 103rd, 43rd
25. LSU- 68th, 31st
28. UF- 42nd, 65th
32. TAMU- 15th, 3rd

38. AU- 78th, 99th

When you combine those rankings, UK is the next worst at 146. Every other team is at 108 or lower. We're at 177. Even LSU, MSU and UK could manage to chew up clock and give their defense some rest. 

If our staff puts our offense in a position to succeed this year, then our defense will have an opportunity to flourish that they did not last year. 

On 8/18/2019 at 11:04 AM, gr82be said:

giphy-241.gif

Football is fun

Favorite sports movie ever & Top 10 all time regardless of Genre.

Archived