Trump wants to buy Greenland

TexasTiger

Read the recent piece in WSJ....not the first time it has been proposed by a US president.  

Good thing that we did not have the internet when it was proposed that the US buy Alaska....or even all the land west of the Miss River back in the 19th century.   I mean...why did we need all that unpopulated land ?  could have spent the money on a better welfare system. 

Some folks have a hard time with forward thinking....especially if it get's in the way of their political views. 

Even the WSJ seemed to make fun of the idea before finally admitting that Truman had proposed it and it had been discussed periodically for nearly a century. 

10 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Read the recent piece in WSJ....not the first time it has been proposed by a US president.  

Good thing that we did not have the internet when it was proposed that the US buy Alaska....or even all the land west of the Miss River back in the 19th century.   I mean...why did we need all that unpopulated land ?  could have spent the money on a better welfare system. 

Some folks have a hard time with forward thinking....especially if it get's in the way of their political views. 

Even the WSJ seemed to make fun of the idea before finally admitting that Truman had proposed it and it had been discussed periodically for nearly a century. 

I’m fine with considering it. Let’s hear the proposal. You seem to assume it’s well thought out. My guess is it’s just another random whim. 

i have not read the article but i have seen pics and a headline claiming greenland is melting.

1 hour ago, aubiefifty said:

i have not read the article but i have seen pics and a headline claiming greenland is melting.

That’s why Trump thinks they might be ready to deal.

3 hours ago, TexasTiger said:

That’s why Trump thinks they might be ready to deal.

It could be a whim or maybe a real idea...but not sure why anyone thinks it should be shot down just because it's associated with DT.   . Greenland was once more habitable...then it went cold.....and warmer and colder....

Icelandic settlements vanished during the 14th and early 15th centuries.[43] The demise of the Western Settlement coincides with a decrease in summer and winter temperatures. A study of North Atlantic seasonal temperature variability during the Little Ice Age showed a significant decrease in maximum summer temperatures beginning in the late 13th century to early 14th century—as much as 6 to 8 °C (11 to 14 °F) lower than modern summer temperatures.[44] The study also found that the lowest winter temperatures of the last 2000 years occurred in the late 14th century and early 15th century. 

Meanwhile,    wondering who put this out to the media....some DT staffer perhaps who is not a friend of DT JMO  

Lots of good reasons to buy it if Denmark were willing to sell....

2 hours ago, AU64 said:

It could be a whim or maybe a real idea...but not sure why anyone thinks it should be shot down just because it's associated with DT.   . Greenland was once more habitable...then it went cold.....and warmer and colder....

Icelandic settlements vanished during the 14th and early 15th centuries.[43] The demise of the Western Settlement coincides with a decrease in summer and winter temperatures. A study of North Atlantic seasonal temperature variability during the Little Ice Age showed a significant decrease in maximum summer temperatures beginning in the late 13th century to early 14th century—as much as 6 to 8 °C (11 to 14 °F) lower than modern summer temperatures.[44] The study also found that the lowest winter temperatures of the last 2000 years occurred in the late 14th century and early 15th century. 

Meanwhile,    wondering who put this out to the media....some DT staffer perhaps who is not a friend of DT JMO  

Lots of good reasons to buy it if Denmark were willing to sell....

What do you think the likelihood is of Denmark selling 50K citizens to the US?

8 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

I have flown over Greenland numerous times recently.  Not melting.

i do not waste my time with jj3 much anymore.

1 hour ago, TexasTiger said:

What do you think the likelihood is of Denmark selling 50K citizens to the US?

Zero since apparently Denmark does not own Greenland....just give them some financial support....but the status is interesting....not considered a country apparently but not the property of Denmark either.  Seems it's "owned" by the people who live there.  So guess they could vote if there was any support which there probably isn't.

3 hours ago, jj3jordan said:

I have flown over Greenland numerous times recently.  Not melting.

2 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

i do not waste my time with jj3 much anymore.

We understand that you are a busy man fidy.

13 minutes ago, jj3jordan said:

True. You never did like anybody pushing back against your inane rants.

no. i do not care much for folks that refuse to admit the truth on some things. just that simple.

Looks like my place- ridges and valleys and gullies. ;D

But making the statement that Greenland is not melting because you flew over it and didn't notice it, is seriously stupid. :no:

Well I also thought about purchasing Greenland I always thought it meant Green as in golf but then found out it was all snow and ice............................I know I know bad joke bad joke

Let's see.....since it sounds like the residents own the place......or that Denmark has questionable ownership........how about offering every family $1 million, immediate US citizenship, lifetime exempt from Federal Income Taxes and extend their ownership rights to their existing property.  

Make an offer and encourage a referendum on the matter...…  Who knows, we might end up with the island. 

Archived