Practice notes 8/17

gr82b4au

Not going to post specifics but a few general observations:

1) OL did better at pass blocking today 

2) The defense should dominate this year 

3) it seems more and more likely that Bo is going to start but both looked good

4) Seth is amazing

5) FG kicking was off today. We will need this to be on in order to win games with our defense. 

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My husband pointed out that today is the day that Gus usually names his QB. Don't know if what his says is right. Also, what exactly is separating Bo and Joey? Is it decision making? Accuracy? Leadership? I wonder what it is. I honestly have no preference, but I don't want either one of them to transfer.

18 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

Not going to post specifics but a few general observations:

1) OL did better at pass blocking today 

2) The defense should dominate this year 

3) it seems more and more likely that Bo is going to start but both looked good

4) Seth is amazing

5) FG kicking was off today. We will need this to be on in order to win games with our defense. 

Perhaps Gus should keep giving Anders ultimatums. Seemed to be working before. 

Is there a press conference today? I imagine that’s when Gus will name the starting QB

16 minutes ago, 3rdgeneration said:

My husband pointed out that today is the day that Gus usually names his QB. Don't know if what his says is right. Also, what exactly is separating Bo and Joey? Is it decision making? Accuracy? Leadership? I wonder what it is. I honestly have no preference, but I don't want either one of them to transfer.

I don’t think Bo is going to transfer no matter what right now. I also think that If Bo starts, Joey will play a lot.

As far as what separates them, it seems that Bo is more accurate and sees the field better. He is just a more polished QB due to coaching and past playing time. Heck, he has been a starter and the primary QB for years. If Joey had more playing time in HS with the same good coaching, I think he would start. 

Either way there is a plus for both... And there are minuses for both... And both are going to make mistakes when they play. They are freshmen. I hope people remember that. 

The biggest deal to me was the fact that the OL finally held their own today in pass blocking. That is music to my ears.

1 hour ago, AUGoo said:

Who is Seth?

Probably Gus favorite WR to use as a blocker most of the time knowing him! Lol

3 hours ago, gr82b4au said:

it seems more and more likely that Bo is going to start

I'm going to go out on a limb and say there has never been a true Freshman QB to ever start a season opener at Auburn.

FiMzxt.gif

5 minutes ago, Viper said:

I'm going to go out on a limb and say there has never been a true Freshman QB to ever start a season opener at Auburn.

FiMzxt.gif

Not that I recall...

14 minutes ago, alexava said:

Not that I recall...

Not sure. I can’t think of one. I can’t remember many true freshmen QBs starting anywhere. Many have played early but not many start the first game. 

I think South Carolina 2 years ago maybe? 

6 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

Not sure. I can’t think of one. I can’t remember many true freshmen QBs starting anywhere. Many have played early but not many start the first game. 

I think South Carolina 2 years ago maybe? 

I was thinking maybe Gabe Gross in ‘98 (awful season) but I think maybe Ben started the first game and then Gabe took over later on. Only one I could think of that was even a possibility. 

4 minutes ago, NoALtiger said:

I was thinking maybe Gabe Gross in ‘98 (awful season) but I think maybe Ben started the first game and then Gabe took over later on. Only one I could think of that was even a possibility. 

Leard opened against UVA I believe.

Stan White was a four year starter at AU 1990-1993 starting all 45 games over those 4 years.  What I don't know is whether he redshirted before that 4 year run.

8 minutes ago, dilligas said:

Stan White was a four year starter at AU 1990-1993 starting all 45 games over those 4 years.  What I don't know is whether he redshirted before that 4 year run.

Believe he was a RSFr. Don't quote me on that though....

26 minutes ago, NoALtiger said:

Yup Gross that later that season and Kodi Burns once in 2007. 

15 minutes ago, dilligas said:

Redshirt Freshman

2 minutes ago, AuburnTiger4Life said:

well now I’m excited 

I’m not surprised. Kodi said the guys could make the spectacular catches but then they couldn’t consistently make the simple catches

Joey will start, I’m just not believing otherwise until I see it!

If the OL can look good against our DL that’s great.

Not pleased to hear about the kicking. Really hoping Anders has a lights out year this year. It hurt seeing him miss kicks I know he’s more than capable of making. 

Archived