Sign in to follow this  
TexasTiger

Is there a Constitutional right to

Recommended Posts

On 9/3/2019 at 8:15 PM, Tigerpro2a said:

I am just curious....you don't think it is possible for a Government to overstep their bounds on their citizens? It has literally happened throughout all of history. Not that long ago. It's what happens with Government. They take and take and take until finally the people either stand up to it or they become sheeple....Are you seriously that naive?

First, I am referring to the United States.  And no, it hasn't happened here.  Primarily because of our political culture that respects the rule of law.

All the guns owned by the approximate one third of the citizens who own them (including me) won't protect us from either a local, state or federal government if it chooses to go "rogue".  Our protection comes from our respect for the rule of law - which is presumably shared by our armed forces at every level.  THAT is what ensures our freedom, NOT what is in your gun safe.

You are the one who is seriously naive if you think your AR-15 is an important bulwark against your county, state or federal government going "rogue".

And it's that myth which is wrapped up in the psychological need for personal empowerment that is a main cause of the proliferation of such weapons in our country - along with the commercial profit motive, of course - that is one of the major contributors to our problem of mass shootings.

Edited by homersapien

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites




46 minutes ago, homersapien said:

First, I am referring to the United States.  And no, it hasn't happened here.  Primarily because of our political culture that respects the rule of law.

All the guns owned by the approximate one third of the citizens who own them (including me) won't protect us from either a local, state or federal government if it chooses to go "rogue".  Our protection comes from our respect for the rule of law - which is presumably shared by our armed forces at every level.  THAT is what ensures our freedom, NOT what is in your gun safe.

You are the one who is seriously naive if you think your AR-15 is an important bulwark against your county, state or federal government going "rogue".

And it's that myth which is wrapped up in the psychological need for personal empowerment that is a main cause of the proliferation of such weapons in our country - along with the commercial profit motive, of course - that is one of the major contributors to our problem of mass shootings.

First off, I don't think "My AR" is going to stop anything. I think millions of them will keep the government from doing that. As long as we have adequate weapons then they are protecting us from a local, state, and federal government FROM going rogue. 

 

Everybody seems to be Naive in thinking that if a war started the US govt would automatically win with drone strikes, tanks, Nukes etc. How could people and ARs stand up to that? Well first off, that's a big reason it hasn't happened here. You can give the respect for rule of law by our political culture speech to someone who believes it. Every govt oversteps, period. At least as of now, we have adequate arms to keep them somewhat contained.  Furthermore, if a revolt or rebellion as Tyrants would call it, I would call it a revolution, were to happen the government wouldn't just go right to dropping bombs. It would play out much different. The people, and more specifically, the armed people would be at a huge numbers advantage. Also due to the population being spread out, if the Govt. were to drop a nuke they would be nuking their own. You think every. police office or member of US Armed Forces is going to turn on the citizens? All the Police and Military Personnel I know have stated the exact opposite. 

 

The bigger point here isn't who would win if this happens, it is that as long as We the People have adequate arms, We can contain the Govt. because we have the power if need be to get them out. Without the 2nd, you don't have any. 

The govt. is getting to the point now where they are almost beyond repair. Our society has gone to Hell in a handbasket. The censorship is hitting an all time high, and as people are going off the walls crazy, the govt wants to try and take away our means of Self Defense?  First off the Govt didnt give me the right to bear arms so they can't take it away. The Constitution confirmed what was already mine to begin with. Yours as well my friend. 

  • Dislike 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Tigerpro2a said:

First off, I don't think "My AR" is going to stop anything. I think millions of them will keep the government from doing that. As long as we have adequate weapons then they are protecting us from a local, state, and federal government FROM going rogue. 

 

Everybody seems to be Naive in thinking that if a war started the US govt would automatically win with drone strikes, tanks, Nukes etc. How could people and ARs stand up to that? Well first off, that's a big reason it hasn't happened here. You can give the respect for rule of law by our political culture speech to someone who believes it. Every govt oversteps, period. At least as of now, we have adequate arms to keep them somewhat contained.  Furthermore, if a revolt or rebellion as Tyrants would call it, I would call it a revolution, were to happen the government wouldn't just go right to dropping bombs. It would play out much different. The people, and more specifically, the armed people would be at a huge numbers advantage. Also due to the population being spread out, if the Govt. were to drop a nuke they would be nuking their own. You think every. police office or member of US Armed Forces is going to turn on the citizens? All the Police and Military Personnel I know have stated the exact opposite. 

 

The bigger point here isn't who would win if this happens, it is that as long as We the People have adequate arms, We can contain the Govt. because we have the power if need be to get them out. Without the 2nd, you don't have any. 

The govt. is getting to the point now where they are almost beyond repair. Our society has gone to Hell in a handbasket. The censorship is hitting an all time high, and as people are going off the walls crazy, the govt wants to try and take away our means of Self Defense?  First off the Govt didnt give me the right to bear arms so they can't take it away. The Constitution confirmed what was already mine to begin with. Yours as well my friend. 

Bet you’re fun at parties.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At the end of the day.......people at an alarming rate no longer see their fellow citizens life as valuable. Their life is no longer sacred and killing them is no big deal.

Thats a huge problem. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, autigeremt said:

At the end of the day.......people at an alarming rate no longer see their fellow citizens life as valuable. Their life is no longer sacred and killing them is no big deal.

Thats a huge problem. 

Whether from movies, video games, music, or just functionally culture itself, we have indeed moved to a culture that does not value people, human life, and especially high disregard for people with differing opinions. Think about it, we just do not value people or their opinions anymore. I blame the Rushannity Syndrome, but there are folks on the Left that are every bit as bad. When we have shout downs rather than speeches or conversations, when random comments are the basis for ruining careers (on both sides) then we as a nation have fallen for something that has made us immature and too thin-skinned to act as real adults. Folks, we have COMEDIANS refusing to go on college campuses these days...Maher, Rock, and others just refuse to go anymore. And why should they? Comedians are about breaking up the traditions and making fun of righteous. Making fun of self righteous people is Comedy 101. If you have a problem with comedians, other than say Cosby of course, maybe YOU are the problem.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Tigerpro2a said:

First off, I don't think "My AR" is going to stop anything. I think millions of them will keep the government from doing that. As long as we have adequate weapons then they are protecting us from a local, state, and federal government FROM going rogue.

Then you are naive to put your faith in such an obvious myth.  

Millions of AR's doesn't prevent our government from going rogue.  That's nothing more than a rationalization for what really motivates the desire to own such weapons - to bolster one's personal psychological need to feel powerful.

What prevents the government from going rogue is the same thing that has always prevented it - our cultural respect for the rule of law, which also exists through out our various governments including the armed forces at every level.

If we lose that, all the guns in the civilian population won't preserver your freedom.  So if you want to preserve your freedom, stay active politically and respect the rule of law.  Your guns may help you feel powerful, but they won't count for squat once our respect for the rule of law is gone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Tigerpro2a said:

........Everybody seems to be Naive in thinking that if a war started the US govt would automatically win with drone strikes, tanks, Nukes etc. How could people and ARs stand up to that? Well first off, that's a big reason it hasn't happened here. You can give the respect for rule of law by our political culture speech to someone who believes it. Every govt oversteps, period. At least as of now, we have adequate arms to keep them somewhat contained.  Furthermore, if a revolt or rebellion as Tyrants would call it, I would call it a revolution, were to happen the government wouldn't just go right to dropping bombs. It would play out much different. The people, and more specifically, the armed people would be at a huge numbers advantage. Also due to the population being spread out, if the Govt. were to drop a nuke they would be nuking their own. You think every. police office or member of US Armed Forces is going to turn on the citizens? All the Police and Military Personnel I know have stated the exact opposite. 

The bigger point here isn't who would win if this happens, it is that as long as We the People have adequate arms, We can contain the Govt. because we have the power if need be to get them out. Without the 2nd, you don't have any. 

The govt. is getting to the point now where they are almost beyond repair. Our society has gone to Hell in a handbasket. The censorship is hitting an all time high, and as people are going off the walls crazy, the govt wants to try and take away our means of Self Defense?  First off the Govt didnt give me the right to bear arms so they can't take it away. The Constitution confirmed what was already mine to begin with. Yours as well my friend. 

This is very revealing. 

Apparently you haven't come to terms with the fact that you - and me - ARE the government and the government is US.  

You talk as if our government is an alien entity.  It's not.  It's an organization that is representative of the people.  You as well as me.

You have a "Red Dawn" fantasy going on.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, homersapien said:

This is very revealing. 

Apparently you haven't come to terms with the fact that you - and me - ARE the government and the government is US.  

You talk as if our government is an alien entity.  It's not.  It's an organization that is representative of the people.  You as well as me.

You have a "Red Dawn" fantasy going on.

First off you don't know me. I have no such fantasy of that. I think it would be the worst thing that could happen. So don't through that BS my way because it will not stick. I do see things for what they are. I also prepare. 

You have a "Utopian Paradise" Fantasy going on. Wake up.

The fact that you think YOU and ME still represent the Govt. is a big part of the problem. I am a Constitutional Conservative. I believe in the Constitution. I have studied history and history shows me everything I need to know. The Govt. is supposed to represent the people, ala YOU and ME, but what they are doing is  not representing us. Taking our rights away is not representing us. Those that will sacrifice Freedom for Security deserve neither. I am done with this conversation. I come here for sports I shouldn't have even bothered getting involved with this thread. My mistake. Good day sir and War Damn Eagle.

  • Like 3
  • Facepalm 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this