Unsung Auburn Heroes

AUght2win

Tucker Fredrickson RB image.jpeg

"Tucker" Frederickson is a former American football running back for the New York Giants of the NFL. Frederickson attended South Broward High School then moved on to Auburn University, and was a two-way player with the Tigers football team

Forrest Blue OL image.jpeg

Forrest Murrell Blue Jr. was an offensive lineman who spent eleven seasons in the National Football League with the San Francisco 49ers and Baltimore Colts. Blue was born in Marfa, Texas. Played center for Auburn

Mike Kolen aka Captain Crunch image.jpeg

John Michael Kolen is a former American football linebacker who played eight seasons in the National Football League for the Miami Dolphins. Because of his hard-hitting style, he was nicknamed "Captain Crunch." He played for Berry High School in Hoover, Alabama, and collegiately for the Auburn Tigers.

Roger Mitchell DB blockedpunt2_display_image.jpg

Roger is number 25 in the photo plus he blocked the extra point attempt in the 17-16 gameimage.jpeg

James Owens image.jpeg

James was a great guy true team player

I could name many many more but these five have always stood out

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, kennypowers said:

I feel a lot of people forget about Kenny Irons.  He was very good.  I would love to see him in this offense.

Fyi, @bigbird is president of the Kenny Irons Appreciation Society. I am trying to get on the board of directors but it's a deeper candidate pool than you'd expect. 

Of all the AU RBs whose NFL careers were either shortened or disallowed by injury, his might be the most severe case. 

I'm not sure how good he would be under Gus. KMart actually runs a lot like Kenny- maybe with a little more lateral mobility and a little less thump, but in terms of that one-cut and go north style- and Gus just hasn't had much use for that. 

2 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

Mike Kolen aka Captain Crunch 

My Sunday school teacher for awhile. You never would have known he had earned a nickname like that. 

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

After he was signed and before he played, there was a good bit of speculation on campus about what Henry Harris could actually do in basketball. Small high school, questionable competition, yada yada. In those days freshmen couldn't play on varsity teams, there was a separate freshman team. In one of the first first freshman home games Henry scored 28 against the Mississippi State frosh and made it look easy. He could probably have scored 50 had he wanted to hog the shots. He got maybe 5 blocks too, at 6'3". Questions answered!

If you research much, you'll see that Henry Harris came to a sad end while assistant coaching in Wisconsin. The reports from up there don't sound like the young man I knew at Auburn. AU Athletic Director David Housel also doubted those reports, FWIW.

Dang, 24 years old is waayyyy too young. Sad story ending. Thanks for sharing Mikey. 

36 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

Tucker Fredrickson RB image.jpeg

"Tucker" Frederickson is a former American football running back for the New York Giants of the NFL. Frederickson attended South Broward High School then moved on to Auburn University, and was a two-way player with the Tigers football team

Forrest Blue OL image.jpeg

Forrest Murrell Blue Jr. was an offensive lineman who spent eleven seasons in the National Football League with the San Francisco 49ers and Baltimore Colts. Blue was born in Marfa, Texas. Played center for Auburn

Mike Kolen aka Captain Crunch image.jpeg

John Michael Kolen is a former American football linebacker who played eight seasons in the National Football League for the Miami Dolphins. Because of his hard-hitting style, he was nicknamed "Captain Crunch." He played for Berry High School in Hoover, Alabama, and collegiately for the Auburn Tigers.

Roger Mitchell DB blockedpunt2_display_image.jpg

Roger is number 25 in the photo plus he blocked the extra point attempt in the 17-16 gameimage.jpeg

James Owens image.jpeg

James was a great guy true team player

I could name many many more but these five have always stood out

👍 James Owens is very worthy of mention. Tucker Frederickson was a little before my time of fandom but I remember the part of the story in Brian's Song about him and Piccolo going to the same HS. 

Rodgeriqus Smith. Walked onto the team as a Freshman, ended his career as Auburn's 7th all time leading receiver with 1,598 yards. 

One of Brandon Cox's favorite targets in 2006 and 2007. 

He was awesome against Florida in that game in the swamp in 2007

rod smith.jpg

3 minutes ago, gr82be said:

👍 James Owens is very worthy of mention. Tucker Frederickson was a little before my time of fandom but I remember the part of the story in Brian's Song about him and Piccolo going to the same HS. 

Actually Brian played for Central Catholic High School and Tucker played for South Broward High but Tucker was mentioned in the movie 

3 minutes ago, JBiGGiE said:

I'm invoking the legendary folk hero, Wade Christopher!

HE does not qualify as unsung. I mean, he is the inspiration of every love song, past, present, and future.

3 hours ago, johnnyAU said:

Love Tre Smith, but not just for the punt block, for the 100+ yds he put up in the IB when Caddy and Ronnie were both hurt.

Also my favorite strictly because of that game l! I was there in Bryant Denny that day- it was a great AU victory. The sportswriter for the Bham news called him a “tricycle gone wild”😂

Quite a few "sung" names on these lists LOL!

Love the Lewis Colbert pick.  He was born with a half a right foot (club foot, I think it's called) and as @gr82be said, it may have actually helped him.  One of the very few "hero moments" that I've seen a Punter have was him pinning thUga back deep during a critical situation.  He actually faked the TV announcers and thUga defenders out by acting like he was aiming right but then turning left and kicking the coffin corner punt perfectly.  He was a team captain in '85....a Punter....

All 1984 RB's not named Bo Jackson.  For those old enough, '84 was a VERY disappointing season (much like '03) as Auburn was returning the core of it's '83 SEC & Sugar Bowl championship team.  Great things were expected but they promptly started the season 0-2.  Not only that but the opening loss was in the nationally televised (big deal back then) Kickoff Classic to the very Miami team that Auburn fans, still to this day, feel screwed Auburn out of the National Title. The next game Auburn lost to Texas but also lost Bo for several games due to a separated shoulder.  Therefore it was a TRUE RB by committee where 6 different RB's (besides Bo) had 30+ carries, led by (my favorite) Brent Fullwood (117 Att, 628 Yds, 5.4 Avg) and included Tommie Agee *FB*(94 Att, 456 Yds, 4.9 Avg), Collis Campbell (86 Att, 511 Yds, 5.9 Avg), Kyle Collins (61 Att, 299 Yds, 4.9 Avg), Reggie Ware *FB*(50 Att, 176 Yds, 3.5 Avg) & Tim Jessie (32 Att, 112 Yds, 3.5 Avg).  Auburn promptly won 6 straight w/out Bo only losing to #13 UF in the last game before Bo's return, the next week against Cincinnati. 

Terry Daniels- punted the ball so far other coaches asked the footballs to be inspected.

Jimmy Brumbaugh - injured often but a force during the Terry Bowden debacle 

Sean White - saved the 2015 season and if not for injuries would have lead a very good 2016 season.

Josh Bynes- Nick Fairley Was the star of the 2010 defense but Bynes was the glue that helped that D bend but not break during a lot of pivotal games.

Played softball against Terry Daniels.  It was either 350 feet or a pop up.  This was 12 years ago though.  Maybe he got his swing more consistent.

56 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

Actually Brian played for Central Catholic High School and Tucker played for South Broward High but Tucker was mentioned in the movie 

My bad, I thought they played together in HS. Thanks for correcting me. 

47 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

Josh Bynes- Nick Fairley Was the star of the 2010 defense but Bynes was the glue that helped that D bend but not break during a lot of pivotal games.

If I remember correctly, Bynes played every defensive snap that year.

8 hours ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

This is the anti lesser known, unsung player who made an impact. 

Dude basically started 30 games for Auburn and gave up 1 sack in his entire career. He was a 2 time 1st team All Sec and 2 time 1st team All American and was a 2nd round draft pick. 

Why not put Cam at QB or Bo at RB? They would make as much sense as including a 2 time 1st team All American on a list of "lesser known players who still made impacts "

I bet you're fun at parties.

Bottom line is O-Lineman are ALWAYS forgotten unless they win a major award, play on a national title team, or have a long, decorated pro career. Want to test the barometer for what makes a guy unsung? Ask an average Auburn fan in 20 years if they know who Marcus McNeill is. 95% will say no. These are the types of players I am talking about. 

Also with the list of RBs on there, I sure hope we didn't need to run the ball. Three of the five listed RBs are FBs. And the two RBs... Grant was exceptional as a change of pace back.  Lester... Well I'd just hope we would NEVER have to run the ball with those guys to pick from...

Bro are you alright? This list was not a personal attack on you.

4 hours ago, AUsince72 said:

Quite a few "sung" names on these lists LOL!

Love the Lewis Colbert pick.  He was born with a half a right foot (club foot, I think it's called) and as @gr82be said, it may have actually helped him.  One of the very few "hero moments" that I've seen a Punter have was him pinning thUga back deep during a critical situation.  He actually faked the TV announcers and thUga defenders out by acting like he was aiming right but then turning left and kicking the coffin corner punt perfectly.  He was a team captain in '85....a Punter....

All 1984 RB's not named Bo Jackson.  For those old enough, '84 was a VERY disappointing season (much like '03) as Auburn was returning the core of it's '83 SEC & Sugar Bowl championship team.  Great things were expected but they promptly started the season 0-2.  Not only that but the opening loss was in the nationally televised (big deal back then) Kickoff Classic to the very Miami team that Auburn fans, still to this day, feel screwed Auburn out of the National Title. The next game Auburn lost to Texas but also lost Bo for several games due to a separated shoulder.  Therefore it was a TRUE RB by committee where 6 different RB's (besides Bo) had 30+ carries, led by (my favorite) Brent Fullwood (117 Att, 628 Yds, 5.4 Avg) and included Tommie Agee *FB*(94 Att, 456 Yds, 4.9 Avg), Collis Campbell (86 Att, 511 Yds, 5.9 Avg), Kyle Collins (61 Att, 299 Yds, 4.9 Avg), Reggie Ware *FB*(50 Att, 176 Yds, 3.5 Avg) & Tim Jessie (32 Att, 112 Yds, 3.5 Avg).  Auburn promptly won 6 straight w/out Bo only losing to #13 UF in the last game before Bo's return, the next week against Cincinnati. 

Fullwood and Agee are pretty sung. The three of them are always talked about as rivaling the backfield combo of Caddy/Brown. 

This is the anti lesser known, unsung player who made an impact. 

Dude basically started 30 games for Auburn and gave up 1 sack in his entire career. He was a 2 time 1st team All Sec and 2 time 1st team All American and was a 2nd round draft pick. 

Why not put Cam at QB or Bo at RB? They would make as much sense as including a 2 time 1st team All American on a list of "lesser known players who still made impacts "

I don’t know who you are responding to or why you quoted me. The guys I chose never did any of that. 

The "other receiver" Dick Smaltz comes to mind and there was Roger  Mitchell.

the famous 1972 “Punt-Bama-Punt” Auburn–Alabama game. Auburn won the game 17 to 16 as Bill Newton blocked two punts that were both returned for touchdowns by David Langner. Both of these players deservedly became Auburn legends on that day. But what accounted for the one point difference in the game? Auburn had earlier blocked an Alabama extra-point attempt. The extra point attempt was blocked by Auburn’s little known hero…Roger Mitchell."

23 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

I bet you're fun at parties.

Bottom line is O-Lineman are ALWAYS forgotten unless they win a major award, play on a national title team, or have a long, decorated pro career. Want to test the barometer for what makes a guy unsung? Ask an average Auburn fan in 20 years if they know who Marcus McNeill is. 95% will say no. These are the types of players I am talking about. 

I would take it a step further and ask the average fan the starting 5 OL from the 2013 year.  This was just a few years ago and I bet most can't name them.  Now I know that probably doesn't apply to those on this board as most of you are better than the average AU fan.....

10 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

Fullwood and Agee are pretty sung. The three of them are always talked about as rivaling the backfield combo of Caddy/Brown. 

Absolutely, they are legends.  However, I could not bring up the '84 "Bo-less" RB Committee w/out bringing up their names.

That said, how many of you (especially under 40) have even heard of the other names on the list?  Collis Campbell & Kyle Collins? That's over 800 yards of rushing (mainly in 7-8 games) from two guys I'd bet many even on this board have never heard of (although there are a surprising number of Old Timers on here, LOL)!

Archived