Unsung Auburn Heroes

AUght2win

27 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

I bet you're fun at parties.

Bottom line is O-Lineman are ALWAYS forgotten unless they win a major award, play on a national title team, or have a long, decorated pro career. Want to test the barometer for what makes a guy unsung? Ask an average Auburn fan in 20 years if they know who Marcus McNeill is. 95% will say no. These are the types of players I am talking about. 

Even if someone says Marcus McNeil. This is an opinion base thread and actually a fun thread for discussion. I don’t know why someone has to come in here with a confrontational attitude. There are other threads for that. 

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would probably consider him a well known part of Auburn lore, but maybe it's just because he is one of my favorite Tigers ever. Will Herring. Just Auburn football incarnate. 

Aubie and student section.

Ken Bernich, Alvin Bressler, Tim Christian, Freddy Weygand, Larry Willingham, Charlie Trottman, Reid McMillan, Bob Harris, Edmund Nelson, Ron Stallworth, Dowe Aughtman, Win Lyle - the list could go on for a long time.  

9 minutes ago, im4aual said:

Ken Bernich, Alvin Bressler, Tim Christian, Freddy Weygand, Larry Willingham, Charlie Trottman, Reid McMillan, Bob Harris, Edmund Nelson, Ron Stallworth, Dowe Aughtman, Win Lyle - the list could go on for a long time.  

I would like to hear about some of these guys. Unfamiliar with all of them. 

My all time favorite is Darren Bates. We took him on signing day I believe. Some thought it was a wasted pick. He went on to start as a safety his freshman year then filled with three years stating at LB. I don’t he went much over 220 lbs. put he delivered a blow ( Smke reminds me of him) . That wasn’t all he then went into the NFL. Had success there also. Just a little 2 or 3 star kid from Olive Branch if I remember.

update: Bates is now playing in his 7th year in the NFL at Tennessee. Kid did well.

Tucker Frederickson will always be my all time favorite player, he was a terror on both sides of the ball

18 minutes ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

All I know for sure is the greatest recruiting story of an Auburn  player is Kozan , hands down 😂.

yep. Still waiting on his commitment date. 

44 minutes ago, AUght2win said:
54 minutes ago, im4aual said:

I would like to hear about some of these guys. Unfamiliar with all of them. 

I know most all of the names but the exploits of some are unknown to me.

Weygand was much like Terry Beasley, right down to the red hair.  Made some of the most amazing circus catches you'll ever see.  He, Lawyer Tillman & Trey Gainous (maybe another unsung name) made for a surprisingly potent WR group in the mid-late '80's.

What I remember about Trotman is he was the AU Football color-analyst on the radio for awhile IIRC.  I don't remember much about him playing but he was the QB for Brooks & Cribbs, I believe.

Bob Harris had (2?) big INT's in the '82 IB....1 of them sealing the victory, again IIRC.

Reid McMillan was the Chandler Cox/Jay Prosch/Heath Evans of his day.  Big part of the '93 team.

Wynn Lyle was automatic as the kicker in the late '80's.  Kicked FG's in the '89 IB (1st one ever in Auburn).  Known for wearing two gloves...as a kicker, LOL.  He's a MD now.

Ron Stallworth was a big DE (even by today's standards) at 6'5" - 260+lbs.  Huge presence in Pat Dye's best defenses but he was overshadowed by guys like Tracy Rocker, Quentin Riggins, Kurt Crane, Aundray Bruce, etc.

Dowe Aughtman was a great OG in the early '80's...part of the '82 & '83 IB teams.  Maybe one of Pat Dye's first recruits?

I really want to say Rudi Johnson, but I don’t know if he would qualify as unsung. Unsung maybe in the long list of successful tailbacks we’ve had? Anyway, I feel like he dropped in like a freaking bowling ball and got us back on track in one season. I will never, ever forget his run vs Wyoming. 

9 minutes ago, Tiger Refuge said:

I really want to say Rudi Johnson, but I don’t know if he would qualify as unsung. Unsung maybe in the long list of successful tailbacks we’ve had? Anyway, I feel like he dropped in like a freaking bowling ball and got us back on track in one season. I will never, ever forget his run vs Wyoming. 

Best stop-gap everrrrrr.....

He was almost Cam-like.  Burst on the seen from JUCO, made freakish plays, never got hurt, dominant...then gone.

Ahhhh, the Wyoming run..... "Rudy Johnson.....Ruudy JohnSON....RUUUDY JOHNSOOOOONNNNN!!!!!!"

5 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

Best stop-gap everrrrrr.....

He was almost Cam-like.  Burst on the seen from JUCO, made freakish plays, never got hurt, dominant...then gone.

Ahhhh, the Wyoming run..... "Rudy Johnson.....Ruudy JohnSON....RUUUDY JOHNSOOOOONNNNN!!!!!!"

2 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

BSPN gets a lot wrong but this call was an all-timer.  Even the setting up of the play, talking about good & bad body language and even that little "it can all change in 1 snap".....right before the snap.  LOVE IT!

3 hours ago, AUsince72 said:

Absolutely, they are legends.  However, I could not bring up the '84 "Bo-less" RB Committee w/out bringing up their names.

That said, how many of you (especially under 40) have even heard of the other names on the list?  Collis Campbell & Kyle Collins? That's over 800 yards of rushing (mainly in 7-8 games) from two guys I'd bet many even on this board have never heard of (although there are a surprising number of Old Timers on here, LOL)!

And Tim Jessie was no slouch. Probably started on most teams.

6 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

Beat out Alan Evans on the depth chart. I remember an interview where Alan was whining about that— he came in so entitled.

25 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

19 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

Beat out Alan Evans on the depth chart. I remember an interview where Alan was whining about that— he came in so entitled.

Yes, he could have been a great one.

He just had the "misfortune" of being at Auburn the same time as Bo....then Brent.  His best season was as Fullwood's primary back-up in '86.

However, he was still good enough to be drafted by Da' Bears!

25 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

Evans was a huge disappointment but I am not complaining. Dye mentioned Evans and Jessie on his radio show couple of Saturdays ago. He recruited a ton of running backs as athletes when he came to Auburn. 

Three pages and no mention of Kodi Burns?  Very highly rated QB out of high school made the switch to WR so Chris Todd could prove how badly we needed Cam.  Made a TD catch in the BCSNC game.  If he had been selfish "sung" he could have easily divided that locker room.....

Antoine Carter, Marcus Davis, Kris Frost, Will Herring, Cooper Wallace, Quentin Groves, Kodi Burns

33 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Antoine Carter, Marcus Davis, Kris Frost, Will Herring, Cooper Wallace, Quentin Groves, Kodi Burns

Man, still seems unreal that Quentin has already passed. You just never know when it's your time. 

5 hours ago, PowerOfDixieland said:

Three pages and no mention of Kodi Burns?  Very highly rated QB out of high school made the switch to WR so Chris Todd could prove how badly we needed Cam.  Made a TD catch in the BCSNC game.  If he had been selfish "sung" he could have easily divided that locker room.....

Being sung isn't a self-given attribute it's a measure of the appreciation of the fans. Kodi was pretty beloved. He has his own version of Auburn legend, a lot like T-Will. 

Archived