Unsung Auburn Heroes

AUght2win

This is completely arbitrary, but this is how I separate Auburn players.

Tier 1. Legends: Award winners, NFL greats, record setters, championship team members. People nationwide know these players. Examples: All 3 Heismans, Tracy Rocker, Takeo Spikes, Cadillac, Dansby, Carlos Rogers, Kevin Greene.

Tier 2. Star Players: Not as decorated, but all SEC level performers. All Auburn fans and most SEC fans know who they are. Examples: Groves, Rudi, Stephen Davis, Frank Sanders, Greg Robinson, Kenny Irons, Nick Marshall, Darvin Adams, Dameyune Craig, Will Herring, Heath Evans, Lutz.

Tier 3. Unsung: Solid players who won't be remembered outside of the Auburn family, but were crucial players nonetheless. That's what we are discussing here.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, AUsince72 said:

I know most all of the names but the exploits of some are unknown to me.

Weygand was much like Terry Beasley, right down to the red hair.  Made some of the most amazing circus catches you'll ever see.  He, Lawyer Tillman & Trey Gainous (maybe another unsung name) made for a surprisingly potent WR group in the mid-late '80's.

What I remember about Trotman is he was the AU Football color-analyst on the radio for awhile IIRC.  I don't remember much about him playing but he was the QB for Brooks & Cribbs, I believe.

Bob Harris had (2?) big INT's in the '82 IB....1 of them sealing the victory, again IIRC.

Reid McMillan was the Chandler Cox/Jay Prosch/Heath Evans of his day.  Big part of the '93 team.

Wynn Lyle was automatic as the kicker in the late '80's.  Kicked FG's in the '89 IB (1st one ever in Auburn).  Known for wearing two gloves...as a kicker, LOL.  He's a MD now.

Ron Stallworth was a big DE (even by today's standards) at 6'5" - 260+lbs.  Huge presence in Pat Dye's best defenses but he was overshadowed by guys like Tracy Rocker, Quentin Riggins, Kurt Crane, Aundray Bruce, etc.

Dowe Aughtman was a great OG in the early '80's...part of the '82 & '83 IB teams.  Maybe one of Pat Dye's first recruits?

I recognize like 4 names from all of that. 

Rocker

Bruce

Tillman

Beasley 

👀

11 hours ago, AUsince72 said:

Wynn Lyle was automatic as the kicker in the late '80's.  Kicked FG's in the '89 IB (1st one ever in Auburn).  Known for wearing two gloves...as a kicker, LOL.  He's a MD now.

So he's still wearing two gloves now. 😁

5 hours ago, AUght2win said:

This is completely arbitrary, but this is how I separate Auburn players.

Tier 1. Legends: Award winners, NFL greats, record setters, championship team members. People nationwide know these players. Examples: All 3 Heismans, Tracy Rocker, Takeo Spikes, Cadillac, Dansby, Carlos Rogers, Kevin Greene.

Tier 2. Star Players: Not as decorated, but all SEC level performers. All Auburn fans and most SEC fans know who they are. Examples: Groves, Rudi, Stephen Davis, Frank Sanders, Greg Robinson, Kenny Irons, Nick Marshall, Darvin Adams, Dameyune Craig, Will Herring, Heath Evans, Lutz.

Tier 3. Unsung: Solid players who won't be remembered outside of the Auburn family, but were crucial players nonetheless. That's what we are discussing here.

Great thread btw. 

Chette Williams.

13 hours ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

My all time favorite is Darren Bates. We took him on signing day I believe. Some thought it was a wasted pick. He went on to start as a safety his freshman year then filled with three years stating at LB. I don’t he went much over 220 lbs. put he delivered a blow ( Smke reminds me of him) . That wasn’t all he then went into the NFL. Had success there also. Just a little 2 or 3 star kid from Olive Branch if I remember.

update: Bates is now playing in his 7th year in the NFL at Tennessee. Kid did well.

Mean as hell. Total headhunter. GREAT pick. 

4 hours ago, aujeff11 said:

Rocker

Bruce

Tillman

Beasley 

👀

LOL!

Yes, those would be some VERY sung names at Auburn.

26 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Stanford Simmons

Antoine Carter

Ricky Neal

Hicks Poor

Tim Carter

Larry Casher

Tim Carter is still in the top 5 or so of the fastest guys I've ever seen in person.  Remember watching him run "right at us" as he blocked a punt.  MSU maybe?

6 hours ago, PowerOfDixieland said:

I made the mistake of not looking at who the OP was.  I'll stay out of your way going forward.

Okay, not sure what that means.

Brandon Jacobs...Poor guy could have started for most of the SEC teams in 2003, but was stuck behind two even better guys. I wouldn't have traded him for Caddy or Brown, but he was a beast of a running back.

Several of the TEs during the Borges years-Cooper Wallace, Cole Bennett, Tommy Trott. Didn't make flashy plays, but kept the chains moving on drives regularly. 

Ben Tate... I feel like he was pretty beloved when he was here. He was a solid running back 07-09, and I feel like he held us afloat during parts of that 09 season. But there have just been so many good running backs since, that I feel like he gets a little underappreciated. 

Emory Blake and Lutz held us afloat during 2011 behind a bad OL and a toxic running back. 

Barrett Trotter. He had a lot of heart, but he just didn't have a lot of arm talent. I also kind of think this was the first example of Gus being stubborn. Trotter was used inefficiently in that season. I think we saw what the offense could have been with Trotter used correctly against Virginia in the Chickfila Bowl. 

Eric Smith... BEAST. Great blocker, and great on kickoff coverage.  Unfortunately it was kind of to a fault. Wish someone could have gotten him some anger management training.

Hear me out on this one... Mario Fannin. Sure, he couldn't hold on to the ball if you for squat, but he also did a lot of the little stuff. Excellent blocker. Excellent 3rd down receiver. Was great in space. Had good hands. Honestly, if fannin didn't have fumbleitis, I think he would have done some impressive things in the NFL too. Also, early in the 2010 season, he was a big part of our passing production. Still can't believe he was like 230 lbs and had a 4.3 40 time.

12 minutes ago, AUFriction said:

Ben Tate... I feel like he was pretty beloved when he was here. He was a solid running back 07-09, and I feel like he held us afloat during parts of that 09 season. But there have just been so many good running backs since, that I feel like he gets a little underappreciated. 

Emory Blake and Lutz held us afloat during 2011 behind a bad OL and a toxic running back. 

Barrett Trotter. He had a lot of heart, but he just didn't have a lot of arm talent. I also kind of think this was the first example of Gus being stubborn. Trotter was used inefficiently in that season. I think we saw what the offense could have been with Trotter used correctly against Virginia in the Chickfila Bowl. 

Eric Smith... BEAST. Great blocker, and great on kickoff coverage.  Unfortunately it was kind of to a fault. Wish someone could have gotten him some anger management training.

Hear me out on this one... Mario Fannin. Sure, he couldn't hold on to the ball if you for squat, but he also did a lot of the little stuff. Excellent blocker. Excellent 3rd down receiver. Was great in space. Had good hands. Honestly, if fannin didn't have fumbleitis, I think he would have done some impressive things in the NFL too. Also, early in the 2010 season, he was a big part of our passing production. Still can't believe he was like 230 lbs and had a 4.3 40 time.

I love most of these. Especially since people were calling for Mario to take Ben's reps in 2009. Ben wasn't beloved while he was here anything like he should have been. The way folks freaked out over that completely meaningless goalpost dunk was emblematic of how he was treated for most of his career. 

As for Mario, it wasn't ball security that cost him an NFL career. It was injuries. And had mostly put that to bed before his senior year anyway. 

Trotter was the king of wrong place wrong time. I hope we never see a staff abuse our players' careers like Chizik's did in 2011-2012. 

1 hour ago, LKEEL75 said:

Maybe he was already mentioned, but...   How about Antoine Carter?  Without this play 2010 would have had a completely different ending:

Of all the "miracles" attributed to Auburn football, this might be the biggest. That ball flew 20 yards in a straight line. The odds are probably astronomical for it not to go out of bounds. 

15 hours ago, AUght2win said:

Of all the "miracles" attributed to Auburn football, this might be the biggest. That ball flew 20 yards in a straight line. The odds are probably astronomical for it not to go out of bounds. 

The crazy thing is lot of people today think the defense receiving the ball after the offense fumbles it through the EZ  is undeserved.  If they had their way back then, the hustle play would’ve just been reduced to a first down carry, and Bama keeps moving the ball. 

Was a crazy play. I’m glad others give props to Antoine Carter though. We had a lot of heroes that year. 

10 hours ago, bssford460 said:

Unsung describes most kickers. Most dont get the credit they deserve.  With that being said I gotta throw Damon Duval's name out there. 2001 Florida game

John Vaughn. A great career defined by one crazy, unlucky night in which other guys missed kicks and even receivers had trouble catching the ball. 

On 8/20/2019 at 4:53 AM, aujeff11 said:

Rocker

Bruce

Tillman

Beasley 

👀

I’m old and forgetful but remember all of these.

4 minutes ago, toddc said:

I’m old and forgetful but remember all of these.

You’re truly an inspiration to us all. 

Archived