most unpredictable team in the country

aubiefifty

Auburn is the most unpredictable team in the country

Updated Aug 19, 9:39 AM;Posted Aug 19, 9:28 AM

Todd Van Emst/AU Athletics

Auburn coach Gus Malzahn gives situational instruction during practice Sunday. Auburn football practice on Sunday, August 18, 2019 in Auburn, Ala. Todd Van Emst/AU Athletics

1 shareBy Joseph Goodman | jgoodman@al.com

Don’t believe a single thing an “expert” or “analyst” thinks about Auburn entering this season.

If there’s a talking head who is blabbering confidently about the Tigers before Week 1, then that person is not to be trusted with money or horses.

Auburn is a mystery to even Auburn right now, and what happens next is anyone’s guess.

This much is certain, though. There isn’t a more unpredictable team in the entire country right now than Gus Malzahn’s Tigers.

New offense.

New quarterback.

Same old question: Is this finally it for Malzahn?

It has to be asked. Even before the season starts.

These days Auburn’s dysfunctional tendencies are its most consistent trait.

The athletics director who hired Malzahn is long gone, of course, but the president who gave him an extension is now collecting buyout payments, too. Oh, and how could we forget the manufactured offseason nonsense about Malzahn agreeing to a reduced buyout so it would be easier to fire him.

Some people will believe anything they read.

It’s best not to believe anything about Auburn until that first snap against Oregon. We just don’t know.

Malzahn could go 7-5 and be looking for a new job in January, or Auburn could go 10-2 and he could get a contractual bonus. Either scenario wouldn’t really surprise me. Not after what we’ve seen.

And that’s just off the field.

Somehow, the football is even more perplexing.

Malzahn scored wins against undefeated Georgia and Alabama with a first-year quarterback in 2017, but lost to perpetually rebuilding Tennessee at home with the same player the following year. Jarrett Stidham then turned pro, and was drafted by the New England Patriots.

Is Stidham the next Tom Brady? He’s looking pretty good in the preseason so far.

Meanwhile, Malzahn “mutually parted ways” with another offensive coordinator.

With Malzahn, nothing is ever consistent except the drama.

So, is it redshirt freshman Joey Gatewood at quarterback for Malzahn to start the season, or true freshman Bo Nix? Malzahn probably isn’t going to name a starter until game time in Arlington, Texas, for the season opener against No. 13 Oregon.

Both quarterbacks fit the Malzahn mold (dual-threat quarterbacks with excellent athleticism), and both are completely inexperienced at the collegiate level. Oh, and they’re facing arguably the most difficult schedule in the country (ranked No.2 by Phil Steele in the preseason).

Nothing about this season is going to be easy, is it?

And Auburn is front and center nationally for Week 1 of the season.

The Ducks might be highly ranked, but they are not favored. The Tigers opened as a 6.5-point favorite. Since then, all the money has gone to Oregon and dropped the line to Auburn by 3.

It seems the oddsmakers have more confidence in Malzahn’s new offense than anyone else.

Typical, unpredictable Auburn.

Best advice you’ll read: if you value your money, then stay away from that game. Those who say they know are lying.

When everyone seemed to be running away from Malzahn this offseason, his best players rallied around him and returned to school. Malzahn might have lost some of his fans last season, but he never lost that team. If nothing else, that should give Auburn fans a little confidence right now.

Derrick Brown, Marlon Davidson and Nick Coe are three of the best defensive linemen in the country. Combine that front-line muscle with a secondary that returns every starter, and this Auburn defense, coached by coordinator Kevin Steele, should be able to give Auburn’s freshman quarterbacks time to learn on the job.

Or, Auburn could hang 50 on Oregon, make the Ducks quack like Purdue in last season’s bowl game and march into Texas A&M a few weeks later as one of the scariest teams in the country.

If you think that’s impossible, then you just haven’t been paying attention.

Joseph Goodman is a columnist for the Alabama Media Group. He’s on Twitter @JoeGoodmanJr.

"Malzahn probably isn’t going to name a starter until game time in Arlington, Texas, for the season opener against No. 13 Oregon." is not supported by anything we have been hearing on / off the record the entire pre-season.  There is no evidence to support it and is just an attempt to create the aura of more chaos. 

Why no mention of probably the best recruiting summer in a couple of decades?  

Feeding the doom and gloom of the Auburn fan base for clicks is just sad. 

I think he’ll name a Qb this week.  I don’t think it’s a secret that both QBs will see playing time against Oregon.  Bo Nix is the name that the “experts” keep saying.  This is the most anxious/excited I’ve been for a season to start I think since Gus’s first.  I left that Wazzou game feeling kinda nervous about the rest of the season but that worked out ok.

i do not see this as doom and gloom or clickbait. i see it as hopeful myself.

1 hour ago, aubiefifty said:

i do not see this as doom and gloom or clickbait. i see it as hopeful myself.

Maybe it is just me.  I have heard so much negativity this summer, maybe I am just over sensitive to it.  I did think the comment about "probably" not naming a QB until kickoff was unfounded.  

23 minutes ago, Howard Roark said:

Maybe it is just me.  I have heard so much negativity this summer, maybe I am just over sensitive to it.  I did think the comment about "probably" not naming a QB until kickoff was unfounded.  

no sir. they do click bait stuff and sometimes i fall for it. i just did not think so this time. but with pay sites etc i am going to post what i can find because i cannot subscribe to any of those. but if i miss one keep me in line my auburn friend!

Just now, Viper said:

Obviously Todd Van Emst hasn’t been paying attention. 

he might be old and senile like me............

This actually reads like one of our threads so it's not anything that should surprise us. We are Unpredictable U. The reason that this stuff bothers anyone at all is that there is a lot of truth in there. As many on here have been saying all along, Auburn has to change the reality before the perception is ever going to change. 

BTW I had no idea Gus was installing a new offense. This should be exciting. 🙄

I just cannot share an al.com story on here 99% of the time.  It is slanted and it is for a purpose.  For instance this story.  Auburn is one of the most unpredictable.  Slant--  Malzhan is going to lose his job if he goes 7-5.  It is all about smear and garner hits at al.com   When Gus took over completely the playcalling-- with his job on the line--  Auburn scored (with a pro type QB  63 points and scored a 100 in their bowl game  Of course that was not mentioned.  That was with just 6 weeks to prepare.  Now he has spring and fall practice to prepare his offense completely, just as he did while Off Coordinator.  He has one of the best defenses in many years at Auburn to play with...  Again there is an unknown variable with His QB'S.....   But Joe Goodman is nothing but a hack of alcommie

18 minutes ago, gr82be said:

This actually reads like one of our threads so it's not anything that should surprise us. We are Unpredictable U. The reason that this stuff bothers anyone at all is that there is a lot of truth in there. As many on here have been saying all along, Auburn has to change the reality before the perception is ever going to change. 

BTW I had no idea Gus was installing a new offense. This should be exciting. 🙄

I'm still convinced that AUFamily IS the source of some of these articles.  I'm pretty sure I've seen actual posts quoted in articles (no credit, of course).

1 minute ago, lost said:

I just cannot share an al.com story on here 99% of the time.  It is slanted and it is for a purpose.  For instance this story.  Auburn is one of the most unpredictable.  Slant--  Malzhan is going to lose his job if he goes 7-5.  It is all about smear and garner hits at al.com   When Gus took over completely the playcalling-- with his job on the line--  Auburn scored (with a pro type QB  63 points and scored a 100 in their bowl game  Of course that was not mentioned.  That was with just 6 weeks to prepare.  Now he has spring and fall practice to prepare his offense completely, just as he did while Off Coordinator.  He has one of the best defenses in many years at Auburn to play with...  Again there is an unknown variable with His QB'S.....   But Joe Goodman is nothing but a hack of alcommie

all i am doing is sharing any info i can find. personally i will deal with the slant or bias because i want my auburn news and i cannot afford to subscribe. well actually i can but it hacks my lily to do so. tigerland posts mostly al.com stuff. there is very little out there. if anyone knows some good sites i will check them out. just know i do this because i enjoy this board and most of the members. we get so starved for news on here i just take that bullet. i hope most understand. i am auburn all the way and my dad played for auburn.

1 minute ago, AUsince72 said:

I'm still convinced that AUFamily IS the source of some of these articles.  I'm pretty sure I've seen actual posts quoted in articles (no credit, of course).

you could be right. i know some rant guys come over here and get info and post it on their site as well......lol

34 minutes ago, gr82be said:

We are Unpredictable U. The reason that this stuff bothers anyone at all is that there is a lot of truth in there. As many on here have been saying all along, Auburn has to change the reality before the perception is ever going to change. 

Amen. When people ask me how AU is going to do, may answer is the same. “Somewhere between an SEC West title to 5th or 6th place in the SEC West.”  Over the last couple of decades that has been pretty accurate. 

1 hour ago, AUsince72 said:

The Fam

giphy (2).gif

1 hour ago, AUsince72 said:

I have seen stuff pop up in articles that are exactly the same as  posts I  have read here, and in a couple of cases it was my own post.... but of course there's no credit given to the OP.  There are no sports journalists anymore. They're all just forum grazers. 

1 hour ago, Gowebb11 said:

Amen. When people ask me how AU is going to do, may answer is the same. “Somewhere between an SEC West title to 5th or 6th place in the SEC West.”  Over the last couple of decades that has been pretty accurate. 

Yeah, my go-to answer to this question the past several years has been, "Auburn SHOULD be good this year......"

And this is has been Gus's biggest problem... Consistently inconsistent! 

They've over come alot and battled through negative recruiting and always have lots of potential, but the inconsistency leads us to every year not knowing, even with veteran teams and back to back years with good quarterbacks. It's a shame. But it's time to put up or shut up.. or he'll be in the same boat come December, if not worse. 

You folks understand why this reporter( on the payroll of the REC) wrote this right? They realize that this team May very well beat their crimson arses and so they want to assure everybody if this happens it’s just a miracle. That’s how they like to write our successful seasons off. Their fear gives me confidence in this team. 😁

Wouldn't be wrong to think that the unpredictability of this team is localized to the play of our QB.  It makes for a good story.  Build the drama - Gus' butt on the line, but he has the first dual-threat QB since 2013, with one of the top defenses in the country etc.  Then slowly let the tension resolve over the course of the toughest schedule in all of college ball.  This kind of article leaves room for the writers to say, in either direction, "See, I told ya so."

18 hours ago, 3rdgeneration said:

All I can say to the author of that article is 

Image result for welcome to my world gif

She got them crazy eyes!

On 8/19/2019 at 11:05 AM, Howard Roark said:

"Malzahn probably isn’t going to name a starter until game time in Arlington, Texas, for the season opener against No. 13 Oregon." is not supported by anything we have been hearing on / off the record the entire pre-season.  There is no evidence to support it and is just an attempt to create the aura of more chaos. 

Why no mention of probably the best recruiting summer in a couple of decades?  

Feeding the doom and gloom of the Auburn fan base for clicks is just sad. 

I don’t see it as doom or gloom at all.

the article is not about recruiting or summer accomplishments so why would it mention it?

in years past Gus has named starters privately before it has gone public.

12 minutes ago, War to the Eagle said:

This is a very reasonable article.  I think it's pretty dead-on: no clue what's going to happen this season...no clue.

To me, the only thing wrong with this article is too much emphasis was on Gus. A program like AU should not go over 30 years without back to back 10 win seasons, and that goes back well before Gus. 

Archived