Trump’s middle class tax

TexasTiger

• 2 weeks later...

7 minutes ago, jj3jordan said:

Bogus.  Nobody making you buy any of that Chinese junk.

Correct. 

You have the options of paying more for it, paying more for something similar, or going without.

12 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

Which Chinese junk are you referring to specifically?

Really.   I have noted that many high-end products are now made in China. I recently purchased a Breville Toaster Oven and was surprised it was made in China.

1 hour ago, homersapien said:

Really.   I have noted that many high-end products are now made in China. I recently purchased a Breville Toaster Oven and was surprised it was made in China.

Did you pay more for it because of the tariffs?

2 minutes ago, jj3jordan said:

I don't know what you buy. Chances are you won't suffer terribly if you don't buy chinese products.

Well, you said "cheap Chinese junk" so I (apparently wrongly) assumed you had some specific items in mind.  

You do realize a whole lot of regular stuff tons of people buy that are far from "cheap" or "junk" are made in China, right?

Just now, TitanTiger said:

Well, you said "cheap Chinese junk" so I (apparently wrongly) assumed you had some specific items in mind.  

You do realize a whole lot of regular stuff tons of people buy that are far from "cheap" or "junk" are made in China, right?

Your choice TT to buy from whomever you desire. It's not a tax if you choose not to pay it.

For instance, you'll be hard pressed to find a quality TV made in the US.  As of 2015, only two still made TVs in the US:  Element and Seura and neither of those are anything I'd buy for serious TV watching.  You can pay a premium for a Samsung and it's made in South Korea or Sony from Japan.  But most of the brands in the midrange price points you see at Best Buy and Costco are made in China.  Almost every single computer, laptop and tablet is made in China.  Same for most smartphones (Apple and Android).  

The knee jerk defense is silly.  It's a de facto tax on most of the stuff people normally buy and creates extra hoops and wasted time spent researching country of origin on things to avoid it.  Playing this game of gnat straining isn't convincing anyone but the willfully indoctrinated.

Even Trump knows this.  He's not denying it.  He's just of the mind that some (what he believes will be) short-term pain is worth the long-term gains.  But of course, it doesn't really affect him.  His sycophants will come up with arcane bull**** ways to explain it away even as it hits their bottom line.  And he's so wealthy, the difference in what he would pay for something would be like you or me losing a penny in the couch cushions.

1 hour ago, homersapien said:

If your in the market for high end home/car audio China, Italy or Germany...........It may say /////Alpine of America but its not.

Archived